Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 21:52   #1

RE Machismo 500LB Starter issue

Hey Guys,

I've been having a strange issue in my 2009 RE Machismo 500LB for a couple of days now. The bike is about 10 months old and has done about 6250kms.

In the morning, If I use the starter, I can hear the motor turn but it does not engage and turn the crankshaft. But for some reason after the bike has sufficiently warmed up, it fires up perfectly. I've noticed that I have almost no issues during the afternoon. I have similar issues once the weather cools down in the evening.

I'm gonna leave the bike with my mechanic on monday so that he can check it out. Any thing I should be aware of???

Thanks in advance for your help....
Old 7th November 2009, 00:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mechanic? Your bike is still under warranty, isn't it? Why not get it serviced/repaired at the RE Service Center then?
Old 7th November 2009, 10:26   #3
BHPian

a sticky sprag clutch, look like. take it to an a.s.s immediately so that you may not lose out on any warranty. however remember, warranty is valid only if you have carried out the 4 free services at any a.s.s in the 9 months since purchase.
Old 7th November 2009, 11:57   #4
BHPian

This is the most common problem of the Lb 500. I've had my starter bearing replaced under warranty. Otherwise it would have costed close to 3 grands. Unfortunately, the second one's also started giving problems now.

U better take it immediately to the RE service centre and insist that they replace the sprag clutch/ starter bearings. Bad news is- the problem is gonna resurface sooner or later.

Just try not using the self as much as possible and never when the bike is cold. Also if it doesn't start in two tries, don't push it. Just kick start the bike. U'll only worsen the problem.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djworx View Post
Hey Guys,

I've been having a strange issue in my 2009 RE Machismo 500LB for a couple of days now. The bike is about 10 months old and has done about 6250kms.

In the morning, If I use the starter, I can hear the motor turn but it does not engage and turn the crankshaft. But for some reason after the bike has sufficiently warmed up, it fires up perfectly. I've noticed that I have almost no issues during the afternoon. I have similar issues once the weather cools down in the evening.

I'm gonna leave the bike with my mechanic on monday so that he can check it out. Any thing I should be aware of???

Thanks in advance for your help....

visit your local RE service centre, dont show it to any local mechanic, he can make your starter work till your warranty period, you would be helpless after warranty. make it check thoroughly at RE workshop, i think starter relay has to be replaced

thanks
Old 7th November 2009, 13:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
This is the most common problem of the Lb 500. I've had my starter bearing replaced under warranty. Otherwise it would have costed close to 3 grands. Unfortunately, the second one's also started giving problems now.

U better take it immediately to the RE service centre and insist that they replace the sprag clutch/ starter bearings. Bad news is- the problem is gonna resurface sooner or later.

Just try not using the self as much as possible and never when the bike is cold. Also if it doesn't start in two tries, don't push it. Just kick start the bike. U'll only worsen the problem.

I absolutely agree with this, I am new to the 500s too as i have just bought my self a Machismo 500 07 model, the first owner had replaced the Bearing/sprag clutch thrice so i decided to let go of the idea of replacing it yet again and get used to kick start the beast..

Its been 2 weeks now and i am fine with kick starting..
Old 7th November 2009, 14:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Boss - you've got the regular bugbear. Take out the starter motor completely and kick the 500 like its meant to be.

if u want more insights, contact anshuman biswal (?) of RTMC - who sold his LB500 for a R15(?) after this issue - or PM me - another friend of mine got a refund from RE after almost 5-6 replacements of the sprag clutch
Old 7th November 2009, 14:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Always learn how to start an Enfield with the kick lever. Its good, because if the starter fails you wont be stranded and embarassed at the side of the road or worse in middle of traffic.

Also do remember, never to apply pressure on the decomp lever/cable. The Decompressor on the LB and CI are quite different. To use the decompressor, as you apply a little pressure on the decomp lever also apply pressure on the kick lever. Eventually the decomp lever will become more free as you take the kick lever down. Do this once or twice to release the compression. Leave the decomp lever, and give a full-kick to start.

Its far more easier to start a CI compared to a LB.

Last edited by Gordon : 7th November 2009 at 14:44.
Old 7th November 2009, 15:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

The sprag clucth has been a major issue with the 500. i got a chance to ride a 500 the other day. that thing is heavy and the kick was not as easy as a 350 i dont know about the AVL 350. but i am sure its not a mission to start it without the Self start. i know a man who took off the starter motor and the whole assembly after facing the problems for 2 times and now he is one of the most happy 500 owners
Old 7th November 2009, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well today finally i learnt the "art" of kick starting the bullet finally after innumerable tries.and not first time i try the technique and she starts up.press the decomp.give it two light kicks.leave the decomp and give half a kick and it starts.

i find the 500 kick very very easy and soft as i had a high compression cbz on which i used to stand up and yet it never came down.lol.my mechanic actually used to call me to start it as only i could use my weight and force to kick start it.
So in comparison to that its a baby kick.lol.

On the issue at hand i thought that they had solved this issue by replacing a bearing permanently in the newer models. I had no idea that it still was a problem.
Old 8th November 2009, 22:09   #11

Wow!!! Never expected this many replies...

Thanks a lot guys... Since the problem surfaced, I've only been kickstarting the bike. Gotten used to that and in fact, prefer it. So now I guess I'll just take it to the Enfield Guys and see what they have to say abt it.... I've noted down each of your suggestions..

Thanks again!!

Cheers...
Old 13th November 2009, 20:14   #12

Sprag Clutch replaced under Warranty...

Got the Sprag Clutch replaced under warranty..... I don't plan to use the Electric Start much, now that I've gotten used to Kick starting the bike...

Btw, this might be some helpful advice.... The Owner of the Service Station says the right way to start the bike using Electric start is to hold the button till the engine fires up and starts spinning at an RPM faster than the Starter motor. This is when the Sprag Clutch disengages completely. If you just get the starter to crank a bit, and then open throttle, the sprag clutch does not disengage completely and gets damaged when the engine spins up. I am guilty of starting the bike this way, many a times!

I need someone to clarify this theory for me please. IMO, it seems to be a pretty sensible explanation.....

Thanks again for all your help!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th November 2009 at 20:51. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 23:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

For any in-depth technical help, I think its best if you post your query on the Royal Enfield Yahoo Groups. Mr Pete Snidal himself and other very helpful guys will be able to guide you.

royalenfield : Enfield motorcycle enthusiasts

Attached an excerpt from the Pete Snidal Royal Enfield Manual.

RE Machismo 500LB Starter issue-es.jpg

Last edited by Gordon : 14th November 2009 at 00:01.
Old 26th May 2012, 00:13   #14
BHPian

Re: RE Machismo 500LB Starter issue

After 3 years of fantastic ownership of my machismo 500. The same problem that has been bugging most of the machismo 500 owners is come to trouble me too. I was planning to sell my roxanne( as i call her) as i do not have enough time to ride her that much. it was only a 5 km (up and down) run from office to home, and sometimes, like in monsoons she would just lie in the parking.
I take the blame of not maintaining her like the way you should for the past one year or so.
The issue i am facing is that i recently changed my battery. Everything worked fine the first day i got a new battery but the second day the issue started.
I cannot fire her up, using the E starter sometimes( 70 percent) even when she is hot.
the neutral light goes dim, looks like the E started is not drawing enough current from the battery.
There are no issues with the kick starter.
one more issue is that the horn(aftermarket) also does not work when she is not idling or running.

any help guys ?

I am taking her to technik motors indiranagar on monday for a service and check.

I also want to divert the oil overflow pipe on to the chain, not in the oil catch can as sometimes the stupid oil overflows on to the airfilter. and she has a trouble breathing.
Old 26th May 2012, 04:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: RE Machismo 500LB Starter issue

Assuming you only did one start with the new battery it should have sufficient power to provide several more electric starts before it runs out of power.

New battery are shipped and sold with at least a 70 percent charge but I suppose if it had been sitting on the shelf for a long time that charge might have been less.
If you have a small 2 amp battery charger you could try charging it overnight. Do NOT use a more powerful charger than 2 amp because it can ruin a good battery.

Another possibility is the battery is defective.
If it has a broken connection inside of it between the battery cells it will do as you describe.

When broken these internal connectors will conduct enough electricity to do menial jobs like lighting a small bulb but when a heavy power loads are needed the break will open up and refuse to carry the amperage.

If you do recharge your new battery and it continues to refuse to start your bikes engine, take the battery back to the place you bought it and ask them for a replacement.

Most Viewed