Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 10:35   #31
BHPian

Ok guys, i happen to take a TD of 220 last night and it was great fun. Heavy bike just the way i want for touring purpose, acceleration is very good, Headlamps are perfect (that`s y took the TD in the night) for touring in the night. But on the flip side, when i tried to test the rear disk break by breaking hard, it took a century to come to a complete halt. Altough i appreciate that the tyres did not lock (which is good) but the breaking distance is very long. The sales person was sitting behind me and i jammed the rear breaks at about 60 kmph. It took a while for it to stop. I asked the guy if this was a problem with that perticular TD bike, but he said the bike was fine and this is the way the breaks are. Can anybody thrown some lights in this area?

Well i feel the reason for this kind of lazy breaking might be because we were 2 guys on the bike and since the weight on the bike is more the breaks tend to be a little ineffective. what do you say guys?

Now coming to seating posture. I am a 6 ft guy and for me the seating was very comfortable, only issue was the fairing on both the sides were hitting my knees. Generally i tend to sqeez my knee to the tank and ride (gives me a bit of confidence) but in this case its slighly overlapping the fairing. Hence, on a small bump on the road my knees hurted. Did anyone feel this way?

Price: I am getting it here for 80,000/- (net on road). which i guess is a done deal for me. No other bike comes close to it. Fazer is costing me 84 k and just 150 cc power (which is just a make over of fz), plus no rear disk and blah blah blah. So i am almost closing the deal now once you guys give me good reason why the braking was so lazy.

P.S.: Some one plz tell me if i can put up a saddle bag on P220.
Old 15th November 2009, 23:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Ok guys, i happen to take a TD of 220 last night and it was great fun. Heavy bike just the way i want for touring purpose, acceleration is very good, Headlamps are perfect (that`s y took the TD in the night) for touring in the night. But on the flip side, when i tried to test the rear disk break by breaking hard, it took a century to come to a complete halt. Altough i appreciate that the tyres did not lock (which is good) but the breaking distance is very long. The sales person was sitting behind me and i jammed the rear breaks at about 60 kmph. It took a while for it to stop. I asked the guy if this was a problem with that perticular TD bike, but he said the bike was fine and this is the way the breaks are. Can anybody thrown some lights in this area?

Well i feel the reason for this kind of lazy breaking might be because we were 2 guys on the bike and since the weight on the bike is more the breaks tend to be a little ineffective. what do you say guys?

Now coming to seating posture. I am a 6 ft guy and for me the seating was very comfortable, only issue was the fairing on both the sides were hitting my knees. Generally i tend to sqeez my knee to the tank and ride (gives me a bit of confidence) but in this case its slighly overlapping the fairing. Hence, on a small bump on the road my knees hurted. Did anyone feel this way?

Price: I am getting it here for 80,000/- (net on road). which i guess is a done deal for me. No other bike comes close to it. Fazer is costing me 84 k and just 150 cc power (which is just a make over of fz), plus no rear disk and blah blah blah. So i am almost closing the deal now once you guys give me good reason why the braking was so lazy.

Was the TD vehicle pretty new? What I had observed on my bike when it was new (it is still new, just 800 kms on the ODO), the rear brakes were not as powerful as the front ones. I felt drum brakes make more sense than the disc ones in the rear. But after some usage, the brakes seem to work better than before. Other reason for the rear brake being less powerful (as given on other forums) is to avoid wheel locking... Don't know if this one is true.

The simplest thing to do is use both the brakes and I believe the front brakes are supposed to be more powerful than the rear ones even on bigger cc bikes. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You definitely can fit a saddle bag on the P220. I have already done a road trip from bangalore to coorg using a saddle bag from Cramsters.

You can check them out here: Cramster Gear Co.: Stuff more than enough! - India's first premium bike luggage - Saddlebags, Tankbags and more...
Old 16th November 2009, 18:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
You definitely can fit a saddle bag on the P220. I have already done a road trip from bangalore to coorg using a saddle bag from Cramsters.

You can check them out here: Cramster Gear Co.: Stuff more than enough! - India's first premium bike luggage - Saddlebags, Tankbags and more...
Thanks Abinav , just called up the cramster guy and he said the colt would fit the bike well. I suppose that is what you have too.
Old 16th November 2009, 21:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Abinav , just called up the cramster guy and he said the colt would fit the bike well. I suppose that is what you have too.
Bingo! I was not sure of the model name and did not get free in between work to browse the website for the name. Colt it is and its a perfect fit with enough space to carry clothes and misc luggage for nearly 3-4 days for a single person and 2 days for 2 people!
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:12   #36
BHPian

Guys need your help!!!

I am planning to go for the p220, so i need to know that do bajaj comes out with some sort of new year discount deals. If yes, then i am planning to wait a lil longer for the bike. What do you say guys???

Last edited by Abbas : 23rd November 2009 at 18:14.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there would be any such deals coming any time soon.

Also we hardly get any deals on bikes as we do for cars.
Old 17th April 2010, 10:17   #38
BHPian

Ok guys, here I am giving the forum members some input with regards to the Pulsar 220 Dts-Fi. I bought this bike in August 2008 and have clocked 13,000 kms on it so far. I live in a place called siliguri which is close to the hills of darjeeling so I have ridden the bike 60% in the hills. So below you will find my views on this bike.

Before i start i would like to give this bike 5.5 out of 10, and here is why:

My personal experience has not been too satisfactory with the P220. I have kept the bike quite well maintained, with regular service intervals and no rough use. But still the condition of the bike has deteriorated considerably.

My first problem started just after 1500 kms when engine oil started leaking from the top of the engine. The quantity of the oil leaking was not that much but when u pay for a new bike then you expect it to run without a problem for a while. I took it to the showroom to get it fixed, all they did was put some silicon adhesive over it and told me a little leakage is normal. So if anyone is buying a Bajaj product, get used to the oil leaks.

Other notable problems have been premature replacement of the handle ball bearings. In my 13000 kms, i have had to change the bearings 2 times, and it usually takes the whole day to do so. I do admit the roads around my area are quite bad. But i suspect also that the design of the 220 has played a part as well. As we all know, the 220 is a very front heavy bike, and therefore i suspect the bearing size and strength is inadequate for a bike of this size and design.

Another annoyance has been vibrating plastic body parts. this kinda started a week after purchasing the bike. when the bike is in full speed above 6000rpm, u can hardly hear the engine or exhaust noise, all you will hear is the vibrating plastic bits of the front fairing and the side pods.

Now to the bajaj engine and gearbox. Sure it has quite a lot of torque and power, but the roughness of the engine is totally disgusting. The engine and gearbox was fine when new, It was quite smooth, the gears were smooth as well, but after 5000kms, short trips are quite unbearable. The gearbox gets quite rough and so does the engine.

The handling of the bike around twisty roads is quite pathetic, you get no feel of what is happening up front. Over all driving this bike on twisty roads at medium speeds has been very very disappointing. It sure is not a driving enthusiasts bike, unless your idea of fun is doing 140kmph on a straight road.

Spare parts are quite hard to find, and are quite expensive as well. And the overall quality of the parts are not that great either.

So if i could go back in time then i would surely have picked the karizma (the zmr and the R15 were not available in 2008 august).
Old 18th April 2010, 11:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Ok guys, here I am giving the forum members some input with regards to the Pulsar 220 Dts-Fi. I bought this bike in August 2008 and have clocked 13,000 kms on it so far. I live in a place called siliguri which is close to the hills of darjeeling so I have ridden the bike 60% in the hills. So below you will find my views on this bike.

My personal experience has not been too satisfactory with the P220. I have kept the bike quite well maintained, with regular service intervals and no rough use. But still the condition of the bike has deteriorated considerably.

My first problem started just after 1500 kms when engine oil started leaking from the top of the engine. The quantity of the oil leaking was not that much but when u pay for a new bike then you expect it to run without a problem for a while. I took it to the showroom to get it fixed, all they did was put some silicon adhesive over it and told me a little leakage is normal. So if anyone is buying a Bajaj product, get used to the oil leaks.

Other notable problems have been premature replacement of the handle ball bearings. In my 13000 kms, i have had to change the bearings 2 times, and it usually takes the whole day to do so. I do admit the roads around my area are quite bad. But i suspect also that the design of the 220 has played a part as well. As we all know, the 220 is a very front heavy bike, and therefore i suspect the bearing size and strength is inadequate for a bike of this size and design.

Another annoyance has been vibrating plastic body parts. this kinda started a week after purchasing the bike. when the bike is in full speed above 6000rpm, u can hardly hear the engine or exhaust noise, all you will hear is the vibrating plastic bits of the front fairing and the side pods.

Now to the bajaj engine and gearbox. Sure it has quite a lot of torque and power, but the roughness of the engine is totally disgusting. The engine and gearbox was fine when new, It was quite smooth, the gears were smooth as well, but after 5000kms, short trips are quite unbearable. The gearbox gets quite rough and so does the engine.

The handling of the bike around twisty roads is quite pathetic, you get no feel of what is happening up front. Over all driving this bike on twisty roads at medium speeds has been very very disappointing. It sure is not a driving enthusiasts bike, unless your idea of fun is doing 140kmph on a straight road.

Spare parts are quite hard to find, and are quite expensive as well. And the overall quality of the parts are not that great either.

So if i could go back in time then i would surely have picked the karizma (the zmr and the R15 were not available in 2008 august).
Well great review from your side But I disagree with a lot of points you mentioned.

Just because your bike had an oil leak does not mean all bajaj bikes have oil leaks. I used my previous P150 DTSi UG3 for 2.5 years and there was no issue at all with the bike and it was much more refined than the previous gen. pulsars.

If you feel there is a lot of vibrations on the bike, then you need to ask ZMA owners about vibations. Thats should make you feel good about your 220.

Spare parts are expensive? I thought people buy Bajaj bikes for the VFM they bring in terms of the overall package and spare parts. Look at prices of parts of other manufacturers to do a fair comparison.

R15 was definitely available in August 2008 IIRC. It was launched sometime in June/July 2008.
Old 18th April 2010, 12:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
Well great review from your side But I disagree with a lot of points you mentioned.

Just because your bike had an oil leak does not mean all bajaj bikes have oil leaks. I used my previous P150 DTSi UG3 for 2.5 years and there was no issue at all with the bike and it was much more refined than the previous gen. pulsars.

If you feel there is a lot of vibrations on the bike, then you need to ask ZMA owners about vibations. Thats should make you feel good about your 220.

Spare parts are expensive? I thought people buy Bajaj bikes for the VFM they bring in terms of the overall package and spare parts. Look at prices of parts of other manufacturers to do a fair comparison.

R15 was definitely available in August 2008 IIRC. It was launched sometime in June/July 2008.
+1. I too own a pulsar and never have i had any oil leak in the past 3 years of ownership.

@Abbas : The rear discs are deliberately kept that way in order to prevent lockup of the wheels. Use a 60-40 distribution while braking and you should be ok.

@TS : Go for the R15 if not the P220 DTS-i.
Old 18th April 2010, 18:44   #41
Team-BHP Support

VFM for me is-- no rattles squeaks for 8500kms and on another for 5000kms
The design(Dynamic Ability in wider terms) is such that you won't be tasting your balls in case you have to swerve and brake at the same time
VFM is barely spent a paisa other than on lubes(engine oil)/filter, not even a bulb is fused
@amrisharm--PM me your no. i frequently go to Slg, maybe we can meet up
Old 19th April 2010, 08:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post

Its been 4 months that i have bought my P220 and have driven 14k on it. I have never faced any such oil leaks issue. And about the vibrations, yes it does vibrate and when i asked the bajaj buys soon after i bought the bike they said it was kept that way (dunno the reason why) but they did do some rubber damping free of cost and after then it was all fine.

i have done my bit of research before buying this bike and Vibrations issues are faced by almost all the customers. However, its not a big deal since they are doing damping free of cost on request by the customer. Try availing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

@Abbas : The rear discs are deliberately kept that way in order to prevent lockup of the wheels. Use a 60-40 distribution while braking and you should be ok.
yes figured that out. using both the brakes sure gives a confident feeling on the road. Its very responsive
Old 19th April 2010, 10:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Its been 4 months that i have bought my P220 and have driven 14k on it. I have never faced any such oil leaks issue. And about the vibrations, yes it does vibrate and when i asked the bajaj buys soon after i bought the bike they said it was kept that way (dunno the reason why) but they did do some rubber damping free of cost and after then it was all fine.

i have done my bit of research before buying this bike and Vibrations issues are faced by almost all the customers. However, its not a big deal since they are doing damping free of cost on request by the customer. Try availing it.

yes figured that out. using both the brakes sure gives a confident feeling on the road. Its very responsive
+1. I also got my fairing dampened by the PBK and there is no vibration noise. The fairing does vibrate but no noise. The PBK guys give any stupid answer, don't believe them. Why would they want to give vibrations free with the bike

Abbas, 14K kms in 4 months! That's fast. I am hardly done with 3.5K in the last 6 months :(
Old 19th April 2010, 15:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post

Abbas, 14K kms in 4 months! That's fast. I am hardly done with 3.5K in the last 6 months :(
i did visakhapatnam - burhanpur and then visakhapatnam - mumbai . Hence the high odo reading. Infact i am in mumbai and leaving tonight for vishakhapatnam, will pass pune at around 1:00 a.m. But this time i am in a car.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

The Yamaha YZF-R15 is a bike that is miles ahead of anything on sale in India in its segment. I have not ridden the bike extensively but a short 20km ride was all I needed to understand what this bike was all about.

It has an excellent engine, superb chassis & fantastic brakes. The bike does well for cruising purposes (Solo) and for hard riding as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks