Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 04:45   #46
BHPian

Truly impressive! I've always wondered about a turbocharged Bullet. Wheelspins in 2nd gear with that fat rubber is quite something.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:08   #47
BHPian

@ Forced

May I make a suggestion- before you firm up your decision on the Aisin, take a look at the Sprintex supercharger from Automotive Technology Group (ATG) Australia - they supply this to Ducati and its a technological marvel.

Cheers.
Old 17th December 2009, 01:38   #48
BHPian

Updates

Hi all, first of all, my sincere apologies for not updating this thread for such a long time. I got delivery of the bike 2-3 days before the Rider Mania, but could not go for the Rider Mania as I could not get time off from work. Why these guys keep these festivals on weekdays is anyone's guess...

Anyways, from the reviews I got of the RE Rider Mania, with the low level of participation, its just as well that I did not make the effort of riding off 700kms from Mumbai risking a new engine, which is yet to be run in...The news I got is that attendance was pretty poor...with only 30 odd bikers showing up....It wld have been fun i guess, but I shall try to make it for the Rider Mania in Pune in Jan 2010.

Now on the RR700, I have been riding it around mumbai for the past 4 weeks, running the engine in carefully. Been for a few short rides on the western expressway at night and thats about it.

The turbo was not spooling as Ranjit and I thought it would. Infact, it was not allowing the bike to breathe properly at low speeds because of which the bike wouldn't run properly. Similar to what happens when you run a bike with a choked air filter. We think we need a differnt impeller wheel for the this turbo or a smaller unit, which will spin at the requisite rpm at low speeds, without impinging the supply of air fuel mixture into the combustion chamber.

In short, after testing the turbo charged bike for about 400kms, I decided to remove the turbo and run the bike in its naturally aspirated form. It was a disappointing decision, what with glamour of a 'turbo charged enfield' being taken away, but I guess, it is what it is. It was an experiment and after considerable , i decided to take it off.

The bike is running much better now, at low speeds, the pick up has improved as it is breathing properly. So far, I have run the bike in for about 600kms. I did try to take it to Lonavala for a ride last sunday but turned back 50kms outside mumbai as it was over heating...I just did not have the patience of going for 30-40kms at 60-70, stopping for 20 mins and then carrying on. Running in the enfield engine is a pain I tell you chaps.

Anyways, have been riding it around bandra mainly in Mumbai when i get the time from work, which is not very often. I do need to take some new pics and put them up here on this thread...will defintely try to do so this weekend.

The RR700 is going to run in its naturally aspirated form till the monsoons, which is when i plan to send it back to Ranjit in Punjab for fitting on the supercharger. Once the running in of the engine is complete, i guess I will invite one of the auto mags to do a test feature on it.

Till such time, happy thumping guys...

PS: If any of the thumper crowd come to Bandra sometime, give me a shout. I can join you guys for a ride if its after 10pm. pm me for my numbers

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Not any in India! Its only 3 makes world wide.

C'mon man, you should really go ahead with the 'V'. Know that it'll be first in India if 'who did it first" really matters.

bye.,
@Rennjit, will pass on your message to Ranjit. Although, I am pretty sure of what his reaction is gonna be.

Quote:
So, any updates? bike/ turbo/ RM
See my post above. Turbo has been removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post
@ Forced

May I make a suggestion- before you firm up your decision on the Aisin, take a look at the Sprintex supercharger from Automotive Technology Group (ATG) Australia - they supply this to Ducati and its a technological marvel.

Cheers.
@skidrow - thanks for your suggestion. The decision has however, already been made. The Aisin unit has already been delivered to Ranjit's farm in Punjab. Hopefully he will start working on mating the same to a spare enfield engine on the bench soon. The supercharger unit was chosen after consulting some bike tuners in UK who have used the same successfully to supercharge small capacity single cylinder bikes. Its small, simple and low tech and most importantly, cheap. I mean, i got an as good as new unit off ebay for $300. Can't see getting the Sprintex for that much. I am sure they are good, however, not commonly available at a low price point.
Old 17th December 2009, 02:04   #49
BHPian

Some more pics

Some more pics guys. Please note that these are old ones when the bike was either being built or when it was in its turbo charged avatar. Will be posting new pics of the bike next week if I get time to take some over the weekend.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0108.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-p1010086.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-p1010087.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-p1010115.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-p1010204.jpg  

Old 20th December 2009, 18:59   #50
BANNED

Nice work mate!. too bad that turbo isnt working,should have foretold the low compression,medium speed engine with just 350 cc to play with would not spool up a turbo and after that expect to give boost!. but very Nice bike apart from that.I mean except turbo is not working everything else shows the concept very well executed! hatsoff! I have certain questions ! may I? how did u bend tubes for the frame! I mean which bender do u use? The frame looks fantastic and seriously deserves a 70-80bhp V-Twin. I keep doing silly projects and seriously need help in bending tubes,haent found a cost effective method of bending tubes for frame! Thanks in anticipation!
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:03   #51

I met the owner today, just on my way to office in Mumbai. I saw this bike in Flesh and it looks way cleaner and better than the pictures. The pics are of the unfinished bikes. The owner said he will post new pics very soon. Till then you can catch this bike at Rider Mania !!! The pictures dont do justice to the bike. Hats off to the designer and regards to the Owner.

Regards,
D-man.
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

@forceinduction-Hey isin't he the same Randhawa who had if I remember correctly modified an RD350 to look like a cbr? That was more then a decade ago.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:20   #53
BHPian

And the RR700 Prostreet wins the award for the best looking modded enfiled at RMX

Was my first Rider Mania - must say I had a blast. Made some new friends and was frankly flattered by the praise fellow Bulleteers lavished on my bike.

It went on to win the title of 'Best Modified Enfield - Cosmetic' with the technical award going to Anthony's 650cc enfield, who was last years winner as well.

Am pretty sure that when the bike is supercharged, it will go on to win the technical award as well at the next Rider Mania. Took some pics at RMX, will post them here soon.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@forceinduction-Hey isin't he the same Randhawa who had if I remember correctly modified an RD350 to look like a cbr? That was more then a decade ago.
@Randhawa - not sure if we are talking of the same person. Ranjit has modded a RD350 giving it a trellis type frame in 1992-92 (the type we see later on in the Ducati monster) and had also liquid cooled it by creating a water jacket!. All this when he was just 18-19years old. I rode the bike in 2005 and it handled like a beauty.

But never heard of him doing a cosmetic mod...not his style.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

So he is that guy. Got to meet him someday then.
Old 27th January 2010, 22:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
.. It went on to win the title of 'Best Modified Enfield - Cosmetic' with the technical award going to Anthony's 650cc enfield, who was last years winner as well. .. .. Am pretty sure that when the bike is supercharged, it will go on to win the technical award as well at the next Rider Mania..

.. But never heard of him doing a cosmetic mod...not his style.
congrats! btw., RM09 (ooty, not the factory one at goa) tech prize went to a 535 supercharged (electric). i don't know if the said 650ss got a prize. Wish you all luck with charger. On a lighter note, poor chap got a prize for work not of his choice
Old 28th January 2010, 00:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
congrats! btw., RM09 (ooty, not the factory one at goa) tech prize went to a 535 supercharged (electric). i don't know if the said 650ss got a prize. Wish you all luck with charger. On a lighter note, poor chap got a prize for work not of his choice
Yeah, I'm waiting to hear about progress on the super charger. should work quite well considering the fact that Aisin superchargers are working well, with minimal parasitic losses, especially on sub 500cc motorcycles.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 5th March 2010, 14:41   #57

Sorry Just had to post.
had heard a lot about this bike from some people.
Not to beat a but
My first reaction to the its wheel spinning the rear 200 section Tyre. Was that's pure BS. Or he is fibbing about the turbo being used. Or he has put grease on the road. Because that is not going to work. 2 minutes with a calculator should have told you that esp. as IHI have maps for the Turbo on their site. Didnt you do some numbers before picking up the Turbo ? Or did you just go looking for the smallest Turbo and hope it would work.
to spin up a 200 section rear on tarmac you need to be making in excess off 120 BHP. Ask me how I know lol.
And to define a spin up. Its Bike / car allready moving. Then you floor it and light up the tyres. Not something you do with a clutch.
Just had to just sit back and wait for you to say it.
Wise move removing the Turbo. A Draw thru is the worst setup you can imagine. Even with a perfectly matched Turbo.

When somebody said youd ride the bike to RM I was like Ill eat my chudies if that bike can even reach Pune. Again you said it first. Thanks for at least being honest. Heat is a big issue on a bullet. Forget FI. A well setup engine with head mods and a cam can over heat.

Sorry to disappoint you but the super Charger isnt going to work either.
save your self a lot of heart burn and money down the drain. by just focusing
in getting the bike to run right.

Now the good stuff.
Your tooner seems to be a genius when it comes to cosmetics.
I have meet the best minds around the world. And trust me when I tell you that you cant have an expert in cosmetics and an expert on engines. There are very few people like that. The late Burt Munro and Britten being the only two names that pop up. As a customer its your job to identify his strengths and weaknesses and make the best of what he has to offer.

So cut the guy some slack and just plonk a V-Max engine into it.
Ive tuned a few Maxes on the Dyno. 125 BHP is possible with an old motor. If tuned really really well. Forget the 200 BS half the stuff you read on the net is BS.

When you figure the SC isnt going to work. Remember I have first dibs on it when you go to sell it.
I have an engine that can use it.

My own bullet is being molded from stage 1 to stage 4.
turbo and SC on the way. All top secret. if you try and copy what others have done on the net. you can be assured to fail. i.e. your picking the AMR500 because somebody in the UK has used it. Do you have the compressor map for it ? Know how much air it displaces ?. Know what gearing your going to have to run ?

If you like fast bulls chk out mine.
Here it is during practice for the race. stage 1 mods only.

And before anybody asks or accuses me of pimping. I do not work on other peoples bullets. Only my own bike and only to prove a point to my self.
Which is I will build a Bullet to beat the RD350s. We did the first car. now time to do the first Indian Bike FI setup.

Take this post in the right spirit. Id like to see you enjoying the bike not breaking your head on something that isnt going to work.
And like everybody else has said. Hats off to you and your builder.
That is a work of art.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2010 at 14:44. Reason: only 2 smilies per post allowed, thanks
Old 5th March 2010, 21:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Ron,

Pleased to see you posting here.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 8th March 2010, 15:56   #59
BHPian

Some people dream, some people build what they dream!!

hey there mate, thanks for your entertaining comments...if not modesty, humour is certainly your forte besides the great work I hear you have done on RD's.

On a lighter note, I did ride the said bike to RM this year, where it won top honours...see link attached for pics on my facebook.

Vivek Soni's Photos - Rider Mania 2010 | Facebook
So now, will we all get to see a video of you eating your chudies?

No, I did not do the numbers on a calculator before trying it out...coz, I ain't a genius like you are. Our hope was to find the smallest possible turbo...and try it out...like you guessed. Why - you tag line says it all. Dream is to build a forced induction bullet...and also the resolve to spend money and time making it happen. We may fail as you are so convinced about..but atleast we would have tried! No fun in being a desk jockey, reading all the BS that you say is on the internet. Atleast, when someone on this forum tries to turbo charge a bullet in the future, he can learn from our mistakes.

On the wheel spins issue, I don't understand what you are saying, are you calling me a fibber or the chap who relayed the info to you. To clarify, I never claimed that my bike was doing wheel spins on tarmac...and I guess, I have just learned what the definition of a wheel spin is...certainly wasn't what I was claiming to have performed on this bike :-).What i meant is that when the bike is motion(say at 10-15kmph), and i twist the throttle, the wheel spins, on surfaces that offer less traction than tarmac :-p

On the clutch issue though, you have me confused. To my mind, a clutch is essential to transmit the power to the rear wheel, regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or not. In my my bikes case, the original 4 plates clutch had the plates not disengaging when they should, resulting in incomplete transmission of power to the rear wheel. Anthony @Mumbai sorted it out for me, and now the bike is performing beautifully.

If you think differently on the clutch / power delivery point, I welcome the opportunity to get re-educated...am not in this bike building for the money or bragging rights...just a average joe who looks at biking as a welcome distraction from his day job. I also have no axe to grind by giving false info to anyone here. We tried the turbo, it did not work, so we took it off. Now the bike is a 684cc single cylinder naturally aspirated bullet engine, which after the clutch problems, is performing beautifully. I have taken it on rides to RM@ Vikramgad, Pune, Lonavla and Ahmedabad...yes, there are niggling issues like the one I had with the starter...but we are addressing them step by step. I fail to understand why you think the bike is not running right. Wonder whats the source of this perception you have - maybe intuition?

Your kind prophesy on the doomed nature of my supercharge experiment is also very encouraging. Infact your dissing on what is a clearly a project
that many on this forum are interested in is a marked departure from what I thought this forum was all about...share info and constructive criticism /advice so that all can learn from each other on what others have done / are trying to do and gain from the higher wisdom some forum members like you possess.

I know the Danish chap who used the AMR300 to successfully supercharge single cylinder small capacity motorbikes and another UK based fella who used the Eaton 45 for twin cylinder 4 stroke 500 cc bike (an old honda)...infact I am in constant touch online with both Carl @ UK and Anders from Denmark both of who have been very helpful and encouraging, pointing out the pitfalls, the things to watch out for etc. But then, maybe its a mindset thing, some people are encouraging and helpful and some are not. (check out their sites: http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/the%20bikes.html; The Fang: Supercharged, methanol, Honda CB500T!)

Yes, we do have the compressor maps for the AMR500, and i know the air it displaces (the '500' in the model no. stands for 500cc of swept volume). On the gearing, we have got some helpful thoughts from the the chaps mentioned above, the rest we have to learn as we go along and / or learn from 'Tuning Guru's such as yourself, who have the equipment and knowledge we mere mortals do not possess. As far as you getting first rights to my supercharger is concerned, lets link it to how helpful you are to a fellow forum member here at team-bhp. If you are so sure of your knowledge and superior expertise, share it mate. We can take the discussion offline if you are so concerned about secrecy (you can PM me your contact no. ). I promise I will help you source a similar unit. They are not that expensive, I got mine off ebay for $300 which is what, less than Rs 15,000 incl of shipping.

Like I said before, the chap (Ranjit Randhawa) who built this bike for me doesn't do this bike building for a living, its his hobby. Arre yaar, he is a farmer with over 50 acres of land in Kharar near Chandigarh which is worth over more than US$20million (yes, an acre there will cost you over Rs 2crores). He does not desire to be the next burt munro or whatever and neither do i have the desire to project him as the next 'bike building great'. He does what he wants so the question of cutting him any slack is irrelevant.

But the fact is that he is just bloody good with machines. He has successfully made two racing cars for engineering colleges here in Punjab by turbo charging 4cylinder 600cc engines sourced from busted up kwackers. He knows what he is doing or atleast has some idea compared to the so called tuners we have up there in North India. When we got the IHI turbo, we knew that 90% it would not work coz of the slow revving nature of the bullet but then we said, lets give it a shot, downside was minimal in any case...the IHI cost us Rs6,000 only!

I appreciate your praise of the bikes looks and asthetics. I shall pass them on to Ranjit. But you know, I have a bone to pick on this with not just you but all those who dismiss what Ranjit has created as cosmetics. Its more than that. All these mods have a function and to perform those one needs a very sound mechanical mind. I mean take a look at the frame. Building a frame that is balanced, marries form with function and offsets the engine enough to fit in a 200 section tyre is not cosmetics!!. So far, I have not seen anyone use a 200section tyre on the bullet using a single drive chain. Vardenchi does it, but then they use car wheels with a 4 nut hub and their bike has a twin drive...chain and then belt. You know better than I the power transmission loss this set-up results in.

Look at those alloy wheels, especially the rear one, they are not off the shelf, he made them - in his farm house workshop!! The engine too is heavily reworked. Its got a bore of 87mm with a 115mm stroke...giving about 684cc. No one in the world has ever managed to re-work the bullet crank to give it a 115mm stroke (con rod is stock). Anthony had built a 650cc using a larger bore and 105mm stroke...when I told him that mine had a 115mm stroke he did not believe it till he saw for himself. You will appreciate that squeezing out 115mm of stroke within the tight tolerances of the bullet crankcase is not a joke. Infact even Carl @UK or the fangmeister fell off his stool when I told him my thumper had a 115mm stroke. The head too has been heavily reworked to increase the flow required to handle the 40% increase in displacement. We are using standard cams though, as we plan to supercharge this sucker. We plan to limit boost at 5-6psi which according to us, should result in a 50% increase in bhp and torque. We welcome your thoughts / feedback on what an ideal setup should be like.

On the VMAX project, I concede that my power increase estimates are purely based on what I read on the web (VMAX-86 amongst others) and also based on online interactions with Fritz Egli's team who has successfully supercharged vmaxes to give figures north of 200rwhp on dyno's (see ..::EGLI-ABOUT US::..). I really don't know what the rwhp of the old vmax was, but Yamaha always advertised it as 150bhp at crank. So my 200bhp was based on the logic that, if a stock motors is 150bhp at crank, we could atleast get it to 200bhp at crank by supercharging it. Could be wrong, but hey, I am not the pro...you are.

So mate, I hope you will take this post in the right spirit. If we are working towards the same objective, lets collaborate. You are probably building a race bike with all out performance. I am trying to get for myself a distinctive, one of a kind bullet (which it already is) with a bit of pep / power by using a blower. I wish you all the best in your project and I hope you get to be the proud owner of the first bullet to thrash the RD350's.

cheers

Vivek

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2010 at 10:47. Reason: Removing large quote - as it is a bit redundant + takes up space. Cheers. Oh, also 2 smileys max please.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:26   #60
BHPian

Some updated pics

Attaching some updated pics that i took a week ago.

Thanks again for looking guys.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-101_0365.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-101_0366.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-101_0368.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-101_0371.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-101_0375.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0009.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0020.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0026.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0041.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0051.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0054.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0076.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0084.jpg  

The RR700 Prostreet Turbo. The Ultimate Bullet mod job EDIT - Now Super Charged-img_0091.jpg  

Most Viewed