Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2015, 16:14   #196
BHPian

Re: All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone tried the Thumper Exhaust from Greasehouse? It costs Rs.3750 and they claim that it would give a power bump of 3.5bhp.

Would like to read some reviews before getting it fitted on my CL350.

Regards,
Vijay
A fellow in my apartment uses it on his TB350.
It has a proper bass thump, to be precise. I have seen it having a faster acceleration than other 'birds too.

Last edited by barcalad : 28th March 2015 at 16:16.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 00:38   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

I seriously doubt that just changing the muffler on any Royal Enfield would give a 3.5 bhp increase, even on a 500.

The increase in noise may make it seem like there has to be a big increase in power but most of it is in the riders head.

With the new UCE 350's, 19.8 bhp, a 3.5 bhp increase is over a 17% increase in power.

3.5 bhp is even a 13 percent increase over the fuel injected 500cc models 27.2 bhp.

Power increases as large as these cannot be achieved by simply replacing a muffler.

How do companies come up with numbers like 3.5 bhp? Creative marketing guys.
It isn't unknown for a company to create a engine which is severely restricted for a test and then use it's performance as a base line.
Then, removing the restrictions and installing their product they retest it. Sure enough, there's a big increase in power.

Knowing that this is not going to be typical of the power gain customers will get by installing their product they usually word the increase by using phrases like:

"Up to XXX horsepower increase"
"Has been shown to produce XXX horsepower gain"
"May give XXX more horsepower"
"A big increase in horsepower is possible..."

Beware of any ad for any product that uses the "up to", "may", "could", "possible" etc. phrase.

Will changing a muffler increase horsepower?
Often it will but the gain will be marginal. Something like a 2-3 percent gain is more likely. (That would be 0,4 - 0,6 bhp for a new Royal Enfield 350).

Often the high speed horsepower will increase some but at the cost of a loss in horsepower in the lower engine speeds where most of the riding is done.

Does this mean you shouldn't change the factory muffler for an after market one?
No.

If you like the looks and/or the sound of the after market muffler, that alone can be a justifiable reason to change it.
Also, there is a fair gain to be had in the weight department.

Replacing the OEM Royal Enfield muffler on my fuel injected 500cc G5 (Electra) dropped the motorcycles weight by over 7 pounds (3.17 kg).

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 29th March 2015 at 00:41.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 17:51   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I seriously doubt that just changing the muffler on any Royal Enfield would give a 3.5 bhp increase, even on a 500.

===============

Does this mean you shouldn't change the factory muffler for an after market one?
No.

If you like the looks and/or the sound of the after market muffler, that alone can be a justifiable reason to change it.
Also, there is a fair gain to be had in the weight department.

Replacing the OEM Royal Enfield muffler on my fuel injected 500cc G5 (Electra) dropped the motorcycles weight by over 7 pounds (3.17 kg).
Thank you for your valuable inputs.

Now I have shortlisted 2 silencers.

1. San's Wild Bore
2. Thumper Exhaust from Greasehouse.

Which one would you guys suggest?

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th March 2015 at 20:37. Reason: please quote only relevant portions of the post.
Old 30th March 2015, 15:57   #199
BHPian

Tend to agree with Jim on exhausts, i replaced stock with Thumper (megaphone one, mine is TB500 Matt finish 2013 May model) from Grease-house (after about 17/18 months of purchase and roughly about 10-11,000 KMS), so far pleased with its looks and sound, its lighter too (aluminium).

Cannot really tell 'for sure' if its having the big performance improvement (pamphlet says its dyno tested and about that 3.5 bhp extra), but it does feel/sound good. Recently, they have introduced one upswept version of megaphone too. Particularly in Bangalore, i found that the stock silencer was going to take many hits from bumper to bumper traffic (or should we say silencer-silencer traffic). The stock silencer is long, and other motorcycles (and even a Vento once!) kept bumping into it (3-4 occasions).

Mileage/High Speeds/Handling

It didn't seem to affect mileage (some had asked), am getting similar numbers within city (23-25 kmpl). Recently went on a Chickmagalur trip, and mileage was about 39.5 kmpl. Top speed clocked was close to 120 (very short burst), average speed was about 80-90 kmph. Vehicle didn't feel too comfortable beyond 110, and could feel heavy vibration, wasn't confident of pushing it beyond 100 (i don't know if its because of change in exhaust, but i doubt it will be).
vrajaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 22:52   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Thank you for your valuable inputs.

Now I have shortlisted 2 silencers.

1. San's Wild Bore
2. Thumper Exhaust from Greasehouse.

Which one would you guys suggest?

Regards,
Vijay
I have used the Wild Boar for close to 8k kms on my TBTS500 and my friend has been using the Indimotard exhaust (different model) from GreaseHouse on his TB350TS. Both of us have ridden on both these exhausts over many long rides.

From my personal perspective, the Wild Boar is really really bassy and loud (especially in my 500). The Indimotard has the old school CI beat to it - bassy enough without being intrusively loud. Wild Boar will cause a serious booming noise inside a thickly padded, snug fitting helmet.

Performance wise, the Indimotard has not created any difference in his 350 (yet to try on my 500). But the Wild Boar has really increased the Mid-Range response in my TBTS500. It goes from 60-120 without any lag whatsoever (the stock muffler will show some lag between 100-115). Also, at higher revs, the sound is simply AMG - "Ah My God" (pun intended)

In my humble opinion, I think it would be best if you go for Wild Boar as it will give your vehicle a specific identity / character compared to other Enfield vehicles in your neighborhood.
Surya-TJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 07:42   #201
Senior - BHPian

Is there any specific company that makes wild boar silencers? The reason is I am really confused as lot of them make wild boar silencers in different shapes.
Old 31st March 2015, 10:46   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Is there any specific company that makes wild boar silencers? The reason is I am really confused as lot of them make wild boar silencers in different shapes.
As far as I know, the original Wild Boar silencer is made by Sans INC. Bulleteers, please do correct me if I am wrong.

Keep thumpin'
Neel
Old 31st March 2015, 13:33   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know by whom it is manufactured. But what I do know is, it has the logo as pictured below:

You could try contacting Mr. Mani on +91-9036187818. Got his number from the official RE forum. He is the company representative for Wild Boar sales, based out of Bangalore.

All the Best for your purchase.

Ride Safe - Cheers..
Old 31st March 2015, 16:11   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
I don't know by whom it is manufactured. But what I do know is, it has the logo as pictured below:
You could try contacting Mr. Mani on +91-9036187818. Got his number from the official RE forum. He is the company representative for Wild Boar sales, based out of Bangalore.

All the Best for your purchase.

Ride Safe - Cheers..
Thanks for the info. I did scout around on the net,the pic you had posted seems similar to the ones sold by a firm called Rockstar.
PS-Are wildboars free flow or do they have baffles?
Old 31st March 2015, 18:03   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I did scout around on the net,the pic you had posted seems similar to the ones sold by a firm called Rockstar.
PS-Are wildboars free flow or do they have baffles?

Wild Boar silencers are not free-flow. They have two conical baffles inside, each with varying dimensions. The baffle is originally (from supplier's factory) filled with Glass Wool. This will get burnt out in about 3,000 - 5,000 kms of riding (depending upon riding style). This will then need to be refilled, without which you will not get the Bassy note of the exhaust. There are certain shops which will fill up those baffles with Ceramic Wool (more dense, higher heat handling capacity and longer life).

Besides, in all UCE engined models, the Catalytic Converter is integrated in the exhaust bend pipe (near the rider RH foot peg area). So, maximum engine back pressure / restriction to the engine is offered there. The muffler / silencer provides only a fraction of the back pressure that the engine needs for safe running.

If you were looking for a non-OE silencer, then do take Wild Boar. If you want OE, then you can take RE's Off-Road exhaust. They have even launched one for the TBTS bikes.

Ride Safe - Cheers..!
Old 1st July 2015, 10:22   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
I have used the Wild Boar for close to 8k kms on my TBTS500 and my friend has been using the Indimotard exhaust (different model) from GreaseHouse on his TB350TS. Both of us have ridden on both these exhausts over many long rides.

From my personal perspective, the Wild Boar is really really bassy and loud (especially in my 500). The Indimotard has the old school CI beat to it - bassy enough without being intrusively loud. Wild Boar will cause a serious booming noise inside a thickly padded, snug fitting helmet.

Performance wise, the Indimotard has not created any difference in his 350 (yet to try on my 500). But the Wild Boar has really increased the Mid-Range response in my TBTS500. It goes from 60-120 without any lag whatsoever (the stock muffler will show some lag between 100-115). Also, at higher revs, the sound is simply AMG - "Ah My God" (pun intended)

In my humble opinion, I think it would be best if you go for Wild Boar as it will give your vehicle a specific identity / character compared to other Enfield vehicles in your neighborhood.
Hi, I was planning to install a wildboar exhaust on my TB350 UCE today in Bangalore. Coincidentally, todays Bangalore mirror's news reads Bangalore traffic police are cracking down Bulleteers specifically and checking the dB levels on the bikes. 13bikes were seized in one day in just Indiranagar locality. So, my query is- if possible can you use a free android app used to measure the dB output of the exhaust from 1 metre far. I know this is silly and I would install the exhaust anyways my eyes are on it from a long time now. I am just curious about the dB levels.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets-image.jpg  

Old 1st July 2015, 13:41   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline-six View Post
Hi, I was planning to install a wildboar exhaust on my TB350 UCE today in Bangalore. Coincidentally, todays Bangalore mirror's news reads Bangalore traffic police are cracking down Bulleteers specifically and checking the dB levels on the bikes. 13bikes were seized in one day in just Indiranagar locality. So, my query is- if possible can you use a free android app used to measure the dB output of the exhaust from 1 metre far. I know this is silly and I would install the exhaust anyways my eyes are on it from a long time now. I am just curious about the dB levels.

Thanks
Cops need to find some way of fining when another stops.

Or else why suddenly this crack down and that only with Enfields. There are varied types of bikes and cars that have loud exhaust and horns.
Probably now is when they noticed the high number of Enfields on road and 75% of them have an aftermarket exhaust.

There are many ways to get an exhaust that makes some sound apart from a Wildboar one., that is if you are looking only for sound.
What I have noticed with the Wildboar is that the the exhaust pipe dia and huge for an engine that size, it is the size of a Fortuner and this leads to the base note being really loud and I wonder the difference in torque,

The free flow exhaust on my Enfield 350 is an old one which was made before these type of exhausts became the norm. The dia of the pipe is equal to the one of the stock pipe and when stuffed with glasswool is not loud at all except when in hi revs, which again is not any annoying noise.

The news link :

http://m.indiatimes.com/news/india/b...ud-234195.html
Old 1st July 2015, 13:52   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Cops need to find some way of fining when another stops.

Or else why suddenly this crack down and that only with Enfields. There are varied types of bikes and cars that have loud exhaust and horns.
Probably now is when they noticed the high number of Enfields on road and 75% of them have an aftermarket exhaust.

http://m.indiatimes.com/news/india/b...ud-234195.html
Its a welcome move. Good riddance and I hope every bullet with these loud exhausts are impounded.

Obviously Enfield owners will not care but we other motorists, who are forced to stop next to these idiots in traffic end up getting bad headaches due to the loud noise even when their bikes are idling.

I remember it was Yamaha RX which were targetted earlier due to loud exhausts, then came Yezdis and finally its the turn of Enfields to be seized.
SunnyBoi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 14:10   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Its a welcome move. Good riddance and I hope every bullet with these loud exhausts are impounded.

Obviously Enfield owners will not care but we other motorists, who are forced to stop next to these idiots in traffic end up getting bad headaches due to the loud noise even when their bikes are idling.

I remember it was Yamaha RX which were targetted earlier due to loud exhausts, then came Yezdis and finally its the turn of Enfields to be seized.
I agree.

But like I said, the ones you are referring to are the same ones I explained above and why they end up with that chest beating thump.

But there are others as well which are not loud , but at the same time have a nice note compared to the stock ones. If the cops use a a db meter that is not tampered, then they can differentiate the loud from the not so loud.

But, I wouldn't agree to the cops targeting only Enfields.

Hell, there are nights when I jump up from my bed when a superbike or a mod'd car opens up next to my place , which is the beginning of a straight stretch of street.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:11   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

Yet, They don't have the courage to seize autos? Forget seize they don't even fine autos with faulty exhausts.
80% of the Autos on Bangalore roads have modified loud silencers.
They go trrrr - trrrrr! arrgh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks