Team-BHP - Help needed-R15's headlamps.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Help needed-R15's headlamps. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/69531-help-needed-r15s-headlamps.html)

Guys, planning to change the stock headlamps with one of the following by tomorrow. Which one of the following is better wrt illumination, spread of light etc? Wont ask which one's better wrt to power consumption as all three are 12v, 55/60W bulbs. But still if at all there's any power consumption difference or heat up problem, which one's better?

I know there's risk of battery draining with the use of these bulbs but here in Mumbai, Yamaha SS are selling these bulbs for R15 and the service engineer is saying there wont be much of a problem with the use of these bulbs unless you keep the headlights ON while the engine isn't running.

Anyways, kindly suggest which one's better amongst the following 3?

Philips Crystal vision

Osram Night breaker

Osram Silver Star

Thanz in advance!

if you are going for 55/60W you can consider Philips Extreme if not concerned about colour of the light like blue/white.
also: H4 , H7 : find out which is the right fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somspaple (Post 1585875)
if you are going for 55/60W you can consider Philips Extreme if not concerned about colour of the light like blue/white.
also: H4 , H7 : find out which is the right fit.

Thanx for that somspaple, will surely consider that. H4 is the one I need. Btw, any idea bout the query I posted?

Ketan,

Can I know the specs of your stock headlamps ?

Are you sure that you can go in for a couple of 55/60W ? The specifications clearly mention that 35+35W, so max 70W. But here you are talking about 60+60W i.e. 120W.

I think that both the bulbs work at the same time if you have switched on high beam. If its true, then 55/60W will drain battery.

If its not so, then you can go in for 55/60W.
Philips is the best from what I have seen. But before installing please again check if your electrical system can take the load or not.

specs of stock headlamp of R15
HS1 12V 35/35W PX43t

I am also changing stock bulbs to Philips Premium- 35/35w but it says 30% more light..

Philips Lighting India - Premium

I dont think bike's battery can take load of 55/60w in high beam.

One of my friends have replaced the stock bulbs on R15 to Osram 55/60W bulbs. Works perfectly without any damage and brightness is good as well.

if you don't want the white light, get Philips Vision plus. Actually normal yellowish light is better than blueish white.

Quote:

Originally Posted by para_7k (Post 1586031)
Ketan,

Can I know the specs of your stock headlamps ?

Hey thanx for replying, I guess you've already got the stock bulb specifications. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1586078)
Are you sure that you can go in for a couple of 55/60W ? The specifications clearly mention that 35+35W, so max 70W. But here you are talking about 60+60W i.e. 120W.

I think that both the bulbs work at the same time if you have switched on high beam. If its true, then 55/60W will drain battery.

If its not so, then you can go in for 55/60W.
Philips is the best from what I have seen. But before installing please again check if your electrical system can take the load or not.

Thanx for writting, Well yes, if we look this on paper then it certainly sounds out of the box fitting 55/60W bulbs but I dont use the high beam constantly. Besides, one of my friends has been using Crystal vision and no major battery problems yet. Battery shows some sign of drainin after constat use of headlights for more than 3 hours. The horn starts to sqeek then. Otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV (Post 1586095)
HS1 12V 35/35W PX43t

I am also changing stock bulbs to Philips Premium- 35/35w but it says 30% more light..

Thanx for the link Aman. Checking it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkydude (Post 1586130)
One of my friends have replaced the stock bulbs on R15 to Osram 55/60W bulbs. Works perfectly without any damage and brightness is good as well.

+1. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by motionfreak (Post 1586370)
if you don't want the white light, get Philips Vision plus. Actually normal yellowish light is better than blueish white.

Will check this option as well. Thanx for replying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan_R15 (Post 1586498)
Hey thanx for replying, I guess you've already got the stock bulb specifications. :D

Thanx for writting, Well yes, if we look this on paper then it certainly sounds out of the box fitting 55/60W bulbs but I dont use the high beam constantly. Besides, one of my friends has been using Crystal vision and no major battery problems yet. Battery shows some sign of drainin after constat use of headlights for more than 3 hours. The horn starts to sqeek then. Otherwise it's perfectly fine.

Thanx for the link Aman. Checking it out.

+1. :)

Will check this option as well. Thanx for replying.

vision plus would be good.. but i don't think its available any more.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...-h4-bulbs.html

@ketan: for the above options i would prefer philips simply because i have heard/read pretty good reviews about them :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV (Post 1586095)
HS1 12V 35/35W PX43t

I just checked my bike's stock bulb,
The link of the bulb I gave above is the stock bulb of R 15.stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by somspaple (Post 1586790)
vision plus would be good.. but i don't think its available any more.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...-h4-bulbs.html

@ketan: for the above options i would prefer philips simply because i have heard/read pretty good reviews about them :-)

Thanx for suggesting somspaple...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV (Post 1587030)
I just checked my bike's stock bulb,
The link of the bulb I gave above is the stock bulb of R 15.stupid:

Correct me if am wrong... the stock R15 bulbs are of Osram 12V 35/35W, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan_R15 (Post 1586498)

There are already a couple of threads on bulbs (in cars for improving the performance and in motorbikes.)

I also faced the same problem of poor headlight beam on Gladiator - and replaced the the stock headlamp (35/35W) with a 55/60W Bosch.

I had also done some experiment / research on the bulbs in the market, which I had posted in the motorbike headlight thread.

IMHO, the best bulbs are Philips Xtreme and Osram Nightbreaker.

BTW, none of the Yamaha SS guys are confident about fitting a higher wattage bulb - even a call to Yamaha on their toll free did not throw much light on this issue:D (pun not intended!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan_R15 (Post 1587451)
Correct me if am wrong... the stock R15 bulbs are of Osram 12V 35/35W, right?

The stock bulbs of my R15 are

Philips HS1 12636 12V 35/35W PX43t

Guys,

Check the source of power, if the electrical system is Full DC, then 60/55 will drain the battery. You might want to check with some expert Mechanic on if you can increase the amount of power through probably a better battery.

If its Alternator --> Rectifier --> Headlamp, then your alternator will need an upgrade.