Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Darth Sid;1661751
@Shubendra - Those saddle bags are way too big. Either lose them or get smaller ones. The bike, indeed, looks like a St. Bernard and I don't think you want to name it "Cujo"!!
Also, those seats don't look that neat. They're too high. They look somewhat 'jugaadu', which is not good. I see what you're trying to do. You could have opted for better built spring seats to make your bike look retro and good at the same time. You have plenty of options in Karol Bagh.
Make these changes and your ride will look far better. Do stick to the light tan colour for the seats, though. My opinion.

By the way, I have the same tool bag at home and wanted to strap it where you have but was concerned about the front suspension travel. Doesn't the front mudguard squish or at least hit the tool bag over big potholes?[/quote]

Thanks A lot Sid for your suggestion. Your feedback means a lot to me.
Indeed a nice suggestion to name it "Cujo".
You are very spot on, those saddle bags and seats does not go with the look of bike. Infact during final completion of bike, i was on my marrigae leave that is why these blunders have happened.
During last two months and two thousand kms trip, during one of the worst roads in India, it never gave any problem. Infact i have installed a Cigarette Lighter inside the pouch. which helps me to use various applications (Mobile charging, Laptop Lighting, use search light) and obviously light cigarettes during my remote place visit .

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 4th January 2010, 18:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Infact i have installed a Cigarette Lighter inside the pouch. which helps me to use various applications (Mobile charging, Laptop Lighting, use search light) and obviously light cigarettes during my remote place visit .
Now that is an innovative idea, i can't wait to get one installed in mine.... Would it work right out of the battery? or Do i need an inverter circuit?
Old 6th January 2010, 03:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks A lot Sid for your suggestion. Your feedback means a lot to me.
Indeed a nice suggestion to name it "Cujo".
You are very spot on, those saddle bags and seats does not go with the look of bike. Infact during final completion of bike, i was on my marrigae leave that is why these blunders have happened.
During last two months and two thousand kms trip, during one of the worst roads in India, it never gave any problem. Infact i have installed a Cigarette Lighter inside the pouch. which helps me to use various applications (Mobile charging, Laptop Lighting, use search light) and obviously light cigarettes during my remote place visit .

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra,

Do note that for the saddle bags and seats, whatever change you make should be in the design/quality/fitting and not the colour. Perhaps you can go for a richer shade but light tan will definitely look good on your bike. I myself have a light tan seat on my bike and am really happy with how it looks. That colour sure gives a retro look to the bike which I understand you're aiming for. Also, stick to spring seats for that vintage look. Just switch over to better quality or try the type Jingaboysr has on his bike. They're the BSA type (I think) and look good but may not be as comfortable as your seats in stop-and-go traffic.
Since you've got electronics in the tool bag on the fork (which is really clever, by the way) and will keep it, you will need saddle bags to make it look complete. So, when I told you to lose the bags, I meant lose the Cujo ears and go for superior stuff.

Just thought I'd clarify. I didn't want you to move away from the vintage look. Light tan and springs - keep 'em. By the way, you could've considered getting those hubs chrome plated. Very few people keep the old model hubs. Even my bike doesn't have them anymore. They would have looked really beautiful in gleaming chrome.

In the end, I'd just like to say that apart from these mods, your bike looks good. I really like the paint scheme and colour choice and the 'castrator'!

Last edited by Darth Sid : 6th January 2010 at 03:30. Reason: Missed last line
Old 6th January 2010, 18:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Now that is an innovative idea, i can't wait to get one installed in mine.... Would it work right out of the battery? or Do i need an inverter circuit?
It doesn't need any inverter cicuit. You just need to take a connection from battery, install a switch in between and connect the charger Simple.

But if are planning to use too many accessories, go for bigger battery.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 6th January 2010, 19:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Shubhendra,

Do note that for the saddle bags and seats, whatever change you make should be in the design/quality/fitting and not the colour. Perhaps you can go for a richer shade but light tan will definitely look good on your bike. I myself have a light tan seat on my bike and am really happy with how it looks. That colour sure gives a retro look to the bike which I understand you're aiming for. Also, stick to spring seats for that vintage look. Just switch over to better quality or try the type Jingaboysr has on his bike. They're the BSA type (I think) and look good but may not be as comfortable as your seats in stop-and-go traffic.
Since you've got electronics in the tool bag on the fork (which is really clever, by the way) and will keep it, you will need saddle bags to make it look complete. So, when I told you to lose the bags, I meant lose the Cujo ears and go for superior stuff.

Just thought I'd clarify. I didn't want you to move away from the vintage look. Light tan and springs - keep 'em. By the way, you could've considered getting those hubs chrome plated. Very few people keep the old model hubs. Even my bike doesn't have them anymore. They would have looked really beautiful in gleaming chrome.

In the end, I'd just like to say that apart from these mods, your bike looks good. I really like the paint scheme and colour choice and the 'castrator'!
I had the same plan Sid. Infact before going home for marriage i selected the fabric and colour for bags and seats, they got the stuff right but implementation gone awry.
I need your suggestion here. If i reduce the height of spring will it do. I am asking it because bike is in MP now, so getting seats fabricated there is not feasible for me.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 7th January 2010, 07:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same plan Sid. Infact before going home for marriage i selected the fabric and colour for bags and seats, they got the stuff right but implementation gone awry.
I need your suggestion here. If i reduce the height of spring will it do. I am asking it because bike is in MP now, so getting seats fabricated there is not feasible for me.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Yes, that'll work. But, it'll have to be done right. For the front seat, lowering the front mount point should be easy but shortening the springs may be not be so. But, then I don't know if it is done often. The springs will probably have to be cut or if you can find short springs there, it'll make things easier.

You should lower the height of the rear seat as well, though in my opinion it might involve removing the springs altogether. I guess if you do that it would leave you with two pairs of short springs for the front seat. That's my suggestion. Just be careful not to ruin the seat(s).
Old 7th January 2010, 13:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that'll work. But, it'll have to be done right. For the front seat, lowering the front mount point should be easy but shortening the springs may be not be so. But, then I don't know if it is done often. The springs will probably have to be cut or if you can find short springs there, it'll make things easier.

You should lower the height of the rear seat as well, though in my opinion it might involve removing the springs altogether. I guess if you do that it would leave you with two pairs of short springs for the front seat. That's my suggestion. Just be careful not to ruin the seat(s).
If these retro pieces arent executed well, then the final result is invariably awful. Also remember that there is an element of form over function here. If you really want that retro look with a single seat, it needs to be quite low and the padding should not be more than an inch thick to give it some semblance of a cycle seat of yore. I saw just such a light tan seat but without springs which seemed wide and comfortable and sat quite low. When I asked the owner of the LB500, he said he sourced it from Delhi.

Now for the more controversial topic of the rear seat and I suspect I might be off on a tangent here so this is strictly my opinion. I haven't seen a single implementation of the combination where the rear seat did not ruin the over looks of the bike. The flowing lines that a single seat highlights are interrupted and ultimately the rear seat is an eyesore. The single seat is meant to be single, if you want to ride with a pillion, get a classic breadloaf without a step in it. If you insist, lose the springs on the rear and try and get it as low as possible.

The older bullets from the 50s/60s had such a breadloaf and they integrated with the bike's design very well. Not the raised seats(double?) with thick sofa cushions ridden by pot bellied folks that gave the bullet its stodgy image, but thinner ones. The classic breadloaf without step has become rare on bullets, but for a reference point, look at a RD350's breadloaf and you will know what i mean.
Old 7th January 2010, 18:03   #53
BHPian

Wow....Shubendra......new look, new idea's, excellent efforts.

Though there are few minor improvements required, it can be done slowly, overall the bike looks AWESOME....Nice color scheme, I liked it. Keep it up.

here is my 1974 RE350
Attached Thumbnails
Makeover of Rover RE 350 - 1975-1974_royal_enfield_350.jpg  

Old 7th January 2010, 18:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Wow....Shubendra......new look, new idea's, excellent efforts.

Though there are few minor improvements required, it can be done slowly, overall the bike looks AWESOME....Nice color scheme, I liked it. Keep it up.

here is my 1974 RE350
Girish,
Very neatly maintained bike i must say. Excellent. True original copy.
Thanks a lot for encouragement. Soon you will hear something new from me . I am in search for 50s model. After having 75, 98, 05 models.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 7th January 2010, 19:33   #55
BHPian

Shubendra Singh ji,

Thanks. yes my bike was restored 9 months ago to the original specs, running in 6V.

I know the pain you have gone through while restoring, its very easy to comment by seeing the photo.
The difficulties in chasing the mechanics, painters, sticker people etc......I been through

Overall, very well executed and hope to see new one soon from you.

All the best for search of 1950's, you WILL get one soon.

Cheers

Last edited by girishpv : 7th January 2010 at 19:35.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shubendra Singh ji,

Thanks. yes my bike was restored 9 months ago to the original specs, running in 6V.

I know the pain you have gone through while restoring, its very easy to comment by seeing the photo.
The difficulties in chasing the mechanics, painters, sticker people etc......I been through

Overall, very well executed and hope to see new one soon from you.

All the best for search of 1950's, you WILL get one soon.

Cheers
Thanks Girish Bhai......
Old 8th January 2010, 06:57   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
If these retro pieces arent executed well, then the final result is invariably awful. Also remember that there is an element of form over function here. If you really want that retro look with a single seat, it needs to be quite low and the padding should not be more than an inch thick to give it some semblance of a cycle seat of yore. I saw just such a light tan seat but without springs which seemed wide and comfortable and sat quite low. When I asked the owner of the LB500, he said he sourced it from Delhi.

Now for the more controversial topic of the rear seat and I suspect I might be off on a tangent here so this is strictly my opinion. I haven't seen a single implementation of the combination where the rear seat did not ruin the over looks of the bike. The flowing lines that a single seat highlights are interrupted and ultimately the rear seat is an eyesore. The single seat is meant to be single, if you want to ride with a pillion, get a classic breadloaf without a step in it. If you insist, lose the springs on the rear and try and get it as low as possible.

The older bullets from the 50s/60s had such a breadloaf and they integrated with the bike's design very well. Not the raised seats(double?) with thick sofa cushions ridden by pot bellied folks that gave the bullet its stodgy image, but thinner ones. The classic breadloaf without step has become rare on bullets, but for a reference point, look at a RD350's breadloaf and you will know what i mean.
I'll totally agree with you on these points. Had it been me, I would have removed the rear seat. I've got a low spring-less solo seat on my bike. If I put on a pillion seat, it'll totally defeat the purpose of the solo seat. It'll ruin the looks. I'm still considering a skinny mudguard-wide pillion seat with a toolfree mount in case I need to give someone a ride but I have not been able to think of such a mount yet.

The breadloaf you're talking about, is it the seat that used to come fitted on the old model Standard?

Quote:
...my bike was restored 9 months ago to the original specs, running in 6V.
Ah, finally somebody who's running a 6V system on his bike like me. I'll bet that pressure horn is not as loud on your bike as on 12V bikes/cars. Also, its spin up time must be longer. I used to have a 2-trumpet (later replaced by a 3-trumpet alternating) pressure horn on my '79 Standard when I was in class 12th. I wired the horn myself using 3 sq. mm wire of minimum possible length, keeping the 6V relay close to the compressor. Where have you mounted the compressor? I had mounted it where the ignition coil usually is.

You did good keeping that old model mudguard on your bike. I've even got the number written on its sides on my rig.
Old 8th January 2010, 09:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, finally somebody who's running a 6V system on his bike like me. I'll bet that pressure horn is not as loud on your bike as on 12V bikes/cars. Also, its spin up time must be longer. I used to have a 2-trumpet (later replaced by a 3-trumpet alternating) pressure horn on my '79 Standard when I was in class 12th. I wired the horn myself using 3 sq. mm wire of minimum possible length, keeping the 6V relay close to the compressor. Where have you mounted the compressor? I had mounted it where the ignition coil usually is.

You did good keeping that old model mudguard on your bike. I've even got the number written on its sides on my rig.
Thanks Darth Sid,
Yes the horn is not loud. One day I lost one trumpet horn and now its not working at all.
Have to check reg. the mount.

I too had plans to write the number on the side, but never got time to do.

Thanks and enjoy riding.....
Old 10th January 2010, 05:20   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Darth Sid,
Yes the horn is not loud. One day I lost one trumpet horn and now its not working at all.
Have to check reg. the mount.

I too had plans to write the number on the side, but never got time to do.

Thanks and enjoy riding.....
Even my bike has a short registration number like yours. Whenever you get the time, do go for the number on the mudguard. It'll make that beautiful mudguard more noticeable.

You lost one trumpet? Lost as in gone forever and nowhere to be found? If the horn is not working anymore because of that, simply connect the hose from the compressor directly to the remaining trumpet. Thicker and short wiring will help the horn be a little louder but not much. Most electricians don't consider these things. That's why I did the wiring myself. Another reason was that I was in college with limited pocket money and didn't want to pay the electrician!
Old 10th January 2010, 10:42   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Even my bike has a short registration number like yours. Whenever you get the time, do go for the number on the mudguard. It'll make that beautiful mudguard more noticeable.

You lost one trumpet? Lost as in gone forever and nowhere to be found? If the horn is not working anymore because of that, simply connect the hose from the compressor directly to the remaining trumpet. Thicker and short wiring will help the horn be a little louder but not much. Most electricians don't consider these things. That's why I did the wiring myself. Another reason was that I was in college with limited pocket money and didn't want to pay the electrician!
Thanks Darth,

Yes, will get the number written on the mudguard ASAP.

Yes, lost it, one day I was riding and the trumphet fell off and ran over by a bus ......crushed
Will look for replacement, hopefully to find one soon.

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks