Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 19:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
If you are in your 20s, 2nd hand RXG or RX 135 (5 gear) is the best option. It can be suicidal if you are over 30 (like me) because of poor brakes.

Amazing torque. Sometimes I feel I am hanging on for dear life. Only issue is that the brakes are terrible. Electricals are weak too. But boy oh boy!! are they exciting or what. Torque - The punch can be felt right upto 85-90 kmph. I think the only ther bikes better that RX is (a very big) maybe Shogun and there used to be a dirt bike from Bajaj which was beautiful (performance wise) too.
Max speed fo RX 135 5 speed is 110kmph.

I took a test drive of the new gen Yamahas and was blown away by the brakes. The RX felt suicidal after that. But the new ones cannot match the RXs for pure thrill.

Have fun and be sure to always use a very good helmet. Keep one for the pillion rider too.
You can say that again mate! My bike maxs out its speedo. It isnt stock. Crosses 140kmph but heck, I know it has a speedo error The thrill you get is unmatched. And yes, without proper brakes, its purely suicidal. I got a complete pulsar front end setup on my bike and now I got the power to stop too. The only negative in my bike right now is the lighting. Absolutely pathetic!
Old 18th November 2009, 20:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Thanks Aaggoswami!

1) P200 is a good looking bike. How is the bike on a long run. I would want to keep the bike for another 4-5 years atleast. I had serious bitter experience with the P180DTSi. Though the rides were extremely powerful, the engine failed after just 5 years & 18000 kms of ownership.

2) I didnt like the looks of the P220. Like what you said, P200 looks beautiful. Serious thoughts on other bikes would be R15/R16.

3) *agreed that anything more than 100 kmph is extremely dangerous on the roads* I hit those speeds just once a bluemoon. Well it is just that you know you have a bike that can do more than that! it is just the feeling that has come over me.
1) P200 was a typing error. I am sorry for my mistake. Lets not consider the P200 now onwards in this discussion.

About the engine going bad, much depends on usage also. I used to redline my Caliber ( original 7.7 bhp one with round headlamp ) and the engine life was reduced.
These engines are good for 6-7-7.5K rpm max. After that they do give rise to problems. I have seen cases where even Uni's engine went bad.
Earlier Pulsar's had this issue, but was later rectified and later versions are known to run well.

2) If you forget the looks and hunt for the functions you want from your bike, P220 is the best deal infact. From headlights to performance, this bike is good. The headlights are a very positive point and helps a lot. The performance is better and very near to what you want.
R15 has a high state of tune engine, plus the power lies in higher range of powerband. P220 has simplicity now as it has switched back to carb. Not that fuel injection is bad.

But when maintenance comes up, Carb is much cheaper to maintain and even tune.

TD both P220 and R15 and then decide.

3) As long as it remains upto the feelings of having a faster bike its nice, but once you get used to regular high speeds, its not good. I am myself hitting 80kmph in city driving conditions on my zeus. Safety is at stake at any speeds above 60 and 80 for city and highway respectively IMHO.
Old 18th November 2009, 20:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Look no further than the P220 & the Classic 500, both of these fit your requirements very well. You only need to decide which one makes more sense to you
Old 18th November 2009, 20:49   #19
BHPian

OT : The only negative I see from the 220's side is the bajaj service voes and a question of how reliable is the engine in the long run? I wish bajaj put some efforts in giving better quality stuff and a good service to boot with. No doubt the bikes have nice power and performance. But it is these slight niggles which help make a bike flawless. The only flawless bike I know in India is the karizma, no quality issues at all. Waiting for bajaj to bring out a performance machine which even promises 100% reliability and quality.
Old 18th November 2009, 21:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well, the RTR 180 has the fastest timing for 0-60 amongst all the bikes you have mentioned. Its not too bad till 100 kmph as well, I cant really say if this might be sufficient torque to meet your standards. It has a top speed close to 125kmph, which is lesser than the 220, R15 and the Karizma. I own it so I can tell you its not as bad in terms of vibrations as its earlier siblings.

The 220 is awesome value for money and a fantastic bike, especially for long drives. Not as nimble in city traffic as the RTR but give it the road and you wont see the RTR in a while.

The R15 is what it is, a mini R1. State of the art, THE bike for high RPM rides. Not the best for city traffic, but hey u have the Discover for it. The kind of fun you can have on it, you might not have on any other bike. A little expensive though. And No, race kits are not street legal.

The ZMA - I dont really have to say anything about it. Its a legend and the best sport tourer there is.

As Techno mentioned, the 500 should be awesome. No experience with it so cant comment.

Take TD's and go by what your heart says. You already have a bike which your mind likes, get one for the heart now.

Cheers !

Last edited by sammyboy : 18th November 2009 at 21:56.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but I am not understanding this torque business with the bikes. Someone help me here.

What's it? Why do you need low end torque? It's not a damn car. You can just downshift at blink of eye and vroom you go. Or just may be, I am too used to my RX, and with these new 4-strokers, things are very different.

If you want a real fast bike, why not just pick a P220 or R15? If budget permits, pick up a Ninja.
Old 18th November 2009, 23:09   #22
BHPian

RX135
As per Bike advice latest issue,the RTR 180 is just .2 Sec slower than P220 in 0 to 100 Dash and almost 1 Sec Quicker than R15 and top speed of 125.
And has better handling than P220 and by Far the Best breaks in the segment.And best roll on figures also.
Old 19th November 2009, 02:40   #23
BHPian

Power(speed)+torque = money$$$
Wait and get a VROD 1250cc liquid cooled engine.
125hp/132TQ
Is than sufficient for you
Old 19th November 2009, 07:18   #24
BHPian

Haha Shrini! VROD for 13L (+taxes). All my savings would go down the drain. Seriously, I was on the lookout for RX135 in chennai. It would make more sense as furioussphinx & kcnetid suggested and I am in the mid 20s!

Bikes in my Mind: P220 (discounted P200), RTR180 (still apprehensive) but I would do a TD to understand the actual bike.

I would also consider a RX135. Guys, I need more information on RX availability in chennai. I would want to know which is the most reliable place to hunt for a RX135 If I find one, who would be the best mechanic/garage in chennai to help me restore it.

Last edited by MutantX : 19th November 2009 at 07:19.
Old 19th November 2009, 07:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Given your addiction to speed, I would suggest you go for P220. The R15 is a nice bike too, but the engine is not that good for torque. Its a bike whose grunt lies in the top end. P220 is more practical buy. Moreover, the lastest revision of P200 is better than the Fuel injected bike they originally came with.

But one thing for sure, be responsible while speeding. 100 kmph on bike on Indian highways is not very safe thing to do.

EDIT : The thread title must be " Addicted to speed and torque. Suggest a bike for me " or something. This title is misleading a bit.
a P220 i would recommend too

I think the other way round,riding slower than 90-100 increases chances of being run over by madly driven trucks and buses.
So i keep my self safe by riding ahead of these hazards.

If you can digest the RE,get the classic 500 i rode one recently for around 40Kms,and that bike has some serious torque,and can manage very good speeds on the speedo,i was able to touch 140,dont know what would be the true speed.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 19th November 2009 at 07:52.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
a P220 i would recommend too

I think the other way round,riding slower than 90-100 increases chances of being run over by madly driven trucks and buses.
So i keep my self safe by riding ahead of these hazards.

If you can digest the RE,get the classic 500 i rode one recently for around 40Kms,and that bike has some serious torque,and can manage very good speeds on the speedo,i was able to touch 140,dont know what would be the true speed.
Akshay, you got me thinking seriously about the RE. How heavy is the RE classic 500. If it is way too heavy then it would be ruled out. Let me add another bike to my TD list.

Thanks,
Old 19th November 2009, 09:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

If you love to red line DO NOT BUY ANY RE bike.
These bikes are meant for such usage and you will never be able to connect with it.

This is my personal observation.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If you love to red line DO NOT BUY ANY RE bike.
These bikes are meant for such usage and you will never be able to connect with it.

This is my personal observation.
bblost, red-lining - not always! it is just that I do not know when I would redline!. If I see an empty piece of road! wam bam! I am gone in secs!

There is one RE showroom off Thirumangalam bus stop (chennai). I will visit this showroom for a TD today. My Hands are itching!

Disclaimer: I am a safe driver, Have been driving bikes for 7-8 years and I am extremely road concious! Some people might think I am a maniac by the way I am posting messages in this thread!
Old 19th November 2009, 09:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Akshay, you got me thinking seriously about the RE. How heavy is the RE classic 500. If it is way too heavy then it would be ruled out. Let me add another bike to my TD list.

Thanks,
No that heavy,but as Bblost said,you wont be able to Rev it,as the engine is not rev happy at all,its all about low end torque.
ride each one in your list and decide
Old 19th November 2009, 13:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If I see an empty piece of road! wam bam! I am gone in secs!
If this is the case forget the c500. I test drove the bike and am sure that it would be able to take this kind of abuse.

Test drive the p220, it will please you the most.

Most Viewed