Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 15:14   #31
BHPian

My Rx100 doesnt start if kept on the side stand for a longer period of time , if kept on the main stand it starts in one kick. is it because of over flow? any solutions?
Old 10th June 2010, 15:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

^^^What's the carbs you're running on? Standard one or a after market one? Also what're the jet sizes? Overall, it seems to be like a carb flooding. Are there any oil leaks through the stands (main & side)?
Old 10th June 2010, 15:36   #33
BHPian

Running Stock carbs with K&N, stock jets. regarding the oil leak, yes there is, i see oil seeping thru the stands(side and main).
Bike is in mumbai now, i have just got the chassis from straight6, and will be going a complete makeover in August, when i come back to India. Please tell me the things I need to take care during the restoration!
Old 10th June 2010, 16:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well, the question is changed now!!! No issues...
First the questions; is it a rebuild or restoration? To me, restoration means, you put back things into the old motorcycle & rebuild means, you build the motorcycle. The difference being that restoration is replacing worn out parts, but rebuild means some more enhancements or customization (K&N, chamber, disc brakes etc).

There're 2 methods to carry out
1. Pay money & leave it to mech, he takes care of things; the cons being that the vehicle is stranded at his garage & he milks your money; pros - no headache.
2. Sit by the machine, talk to it, understand what is worn out, what is needed, buy them & get a competent mech to fix up things; cons being that it takes hell a lot of time; pros - immense, unexplainable satisfaction

Restoration process
1. Replacing worn out parts costs less but less durable as sometimes we over look on things that are nearly worn to be good.
2. Completely replacing parts costs more but more durable, besides you get a brand new motorcycle.

Rebuild process
Little complex to explain as it depends completely on one's taste; Anything from basic disc setup to carbs, expansion chambers, porting, gear box, clutch, suspension, sprocketing, swing arm with endless possibilites. So unless the need is defined, the setup process is little difficult to explain. Hope you got the point.

Take care to see you don't give away original parts, do not start the work unless you've all the parts with you & I hope its RX100. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:12   #35
BHPian

Well, in short , i need a new looking Yamaha Rx100, with disc setup! had a nasty accident in Feb this year because of inadequate brakes, resulting to a bent and broken chassis.
Every single work will be done under my supervision, and hope to get every thing fixed within a week(definitely possible) sourcing parts not an issue, name it and i will get it!
Its not a rebuild process, but more of a restoration,with an open budget and no compromise on quality of the parts.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Gordon,
Apart from what aargee has stated, please check out the air filter and petrol filter (if you are using one) too. Check that the choke cable and its rubber seat is OK. Symptom indicate - fuel starvation or improper ignition timing.

Yogisays0909,
Could be that the float in the carb has a hole - RX100 carb had floats made from bronze (if I remember right), and sometimes are they develop holes which cause the flooding.

aargee,
Neat write up on restoration and rebuild. Which part of Madras are you from? I know a very good two-wheeler 'magician' in W. Mambalam, who has not only fitted RX100 with disc brakes but also a remote start (KiHo starter and car anti-theft remote!) way back in 2000!! So the rebuild is really endless.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
My Rx100 doesnt start if kept on the side stand for a longer period of time , if kept on the main stand it starts in one kick. is it because of over flow? any solutions?
Always keep the fuel tap is in the 'Off' position when parked.

Gordon - I'd like to check the bike out. I'm free today or tomorrow, if it doesn't pour.
Old 10th June 2010, 19:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in short , i need a new looking Yamaha Rx100, with disc setup! had a nasty accident in Feb this year because of inadequate brakes, resulting to a bent and broken chassis.
Ok, then get the chassis first through Y.A.S.S & ask them to get the chassis number etched as per the RC book (they did it free for me) & usually takes about 10-15 days.

Quote:
Every single work will be done under my supervision, and hope to get every thing fixed within a week(definitely possible) sourcing parts not an issue, name it and i will get it!
Oh!!! that's a good news; incase you're able to source out a new right hand side rear "L" bracket & an OE RX100's (not 135) front fork assy, its highly appreciated. I can personally drive down from Chennai to collect them.

Quote:
Its not a rebuild process, but more of a restoration,with an open budget and no compromise on quality of the parts.
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Which part of Madras are you from? I know a very good two-wheeler 'magician' in W. Mambalam, who has not only fitted RX100 with disc brakes but also a remote start (KiHo starter and car anti-theft remote!) way back in 2000!! So the rebuild is really endless.
I'm from Thirumullaivoyal between Ambattur & Avadi; Thanks for the reference as I'm really, really looking out for a knowledgeble (should not learn from experiementing my motorcycle), competent & trustable mechanic to complete my rebuild. My regular mech is evading for some reason (probably lack of man power) & the second one is fumbled by the work that needs to be carried over. So any good reference is highly appreciated.

Last edited by aargee : 10th June 2010 at 19:35.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:10   #39
BHPian

During rains the water flows down from the wires to the spark plug. what can be done to prevent that. IN other words anything i could fit that will protect the spark plug from getting wet?
Old 15th June 2010, 14:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
During rains the water flows down from the wires to the spark plug. what can be done to prevent that. IN other words anything i could fit that will protect the spark plug from getting wet?
I used to face this issue with my HH Splendor.

What I do is smudge a lot of grease around the spark plug, it forms a nice protection from water going in and nor does it affect the performance of the bike or give any starting problems.

Not sure if others will agree, but this helps me alot.
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:47   #41
BHPian

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I need help with my Rx 135.

Today I found out that the carburator screw or pin (I think it controls air flow from the air filter to the carb) was missing. There was sure some sound, but since my chain was scratching the cover, i did not hear it properly and i drove it for about 16 km.

Is there any problem with that, since I rode it some. I think there is a pin attached to that screw. I found the spring lying on the engine, but the pin was nowhere to be found. I checked it even inside the chain cover . Is the pin available in the market. I checked with the Yamaha service center. they said it comes in a set and the carburator costs 3k. it is a mikuni carburator. Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Chipz
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:27   #42
BHPian

without the pin your bike will not idle, it will overheat as the mixture is leaned due to entry of air from the hole.spring will not go inside, it must have fallen on the road.try to get the similar pin used in bullet vm24 from a enfield dealer, i think it will work. if not you get a pin from a "akkiri" shop. even you can get it done on brass from a lathe if you give them a sample. take care
Old 6th July 2010, 18:16   #43
BHPian

Ya george, the engine is getting hot. currently i have used a big bolt to close the hole. I checked with some spareparts shops, it is not available there. I am going to thrissur next week, will check there too, might be able to find one in pattalam.

What is the difference between the carburator of RX 100 and 135. Can I use the carburator of rx 100 in 135.

thanks.

Last edited by Chipz : 6th July 2010 at 18:17.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the difference between the carburator of RX 100 and 135. Can I use the carburator of rx 100 in 135
No difference except the size of main jet sizes, atleast, this is what I'm aware of. The size of main jet in 135 is slightly more than 100 (not sure by how much)
Old 8th July 2010, 07:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No difference except the size of main jet sizes, atleast, this is what I'm aware of. The size of main jet in 135 is slightly more than 100 (not sure by how much)
I was wondering... My mechanic has a used rx100 carb spare. I am currently getting a mileage of 20 with my 135 (riding habit ). I am thinking of fixing the 100s carb.

I suppose it will have less pulling then right. I can do away with some pulling for a little extra mileage. Do you think changing the carb will affect the mileage.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks