Only when I drive in highways 5 4.00%
immaterial of whether I drive in local or highways 113 90.40%
Very rarely 5 4.00%
: Sorry I do not have an helmet 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2005, 03:47   #16

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i dont usually wear a helmet,i know it sounds really lame cos after all its my own life but i seriously hate carrying it around all the time.whenever i have to travel long distance i take out my car.hope i change my habits....before i lose my head..
Old 9th August 2005, 10:15   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Bought the helmet first then booked the bike

never ride without helmet ,
only time i dont wear helmet is when i go to the saloon
Old 9th August 2005, 12:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
but i seriously hate carrying it around all the time.
Install a helmet lock on your bike. It does the job wonderfully without bothering you to carry it all over the place. I have been using it for years and it works! If you dont like its look, that is fine. Your head is more important that your bike's rear.
Old 9th August 2005, 16:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

there was this blog on this, it's not any more, so i am pasting the text below again.

Haque's post reminded me, at night when i push the glass up to avoid the glare, and speed up, the wind tends to push the glass back, once it almost flew off, the strap doesn't help since it revolves around strap joint.

anyways, does anybody know where i can get helmets like the one used by john abraham in Dhoom . I remember the glass goes inside the helmet body in that.

http://o3.indiatimes.com/downtoearth

“ This cannot happen to me”

We all suffer from this syndrome….A young healthy individual like us here will never voluntarily accept the fact that he or she is at a risk for a serious head injury….while driving a two wheeler…..

This post is dedicated to all my fellow friends in cyber space who drive two wheelers but don’t care to wear protective head gear ‘HELMET’. I personally m driving from 12 years now n each day since 12 years I was risking my life on the roads by not wearing a HELMET…..heard ppl asking n advising to wear Helmet…but I too was suffering from the above syndrome “ Noo..This cannot Happen to Me” …

But today something has changed….don’t know how this change took place…it was casual talking…one of my fellow blogger asked so u drive but don’t wear Helmet isn’t that risky..I said..I know but I m not getting time to buy one…while I was lying…every evening I had enough time to go around n buy one….Its not that its first time someone has asked me to get one…infact when I got my new bike…all of my fellow bloggers asked me to get one n I always said ‘YES’ will get one soon….but always had an excuse as to not to go…. But someone took pain to send me link n than I saw soo many different types/brands of helmets available n in different color n shapes..n I was tempted to get one….n I GOT ONE…..Thanks to all my friends who convinced me to do this…n special thanks to u….J I feel soo good now ..didn’t know driving wearing HELMET could b soo much fun….n I don’t have to look llike DAKU anymore…goodbye to scarf..which I used to wrap around my face…to avoid sun n pollution….now I have my HELMET….J

My city has got maximum number of female 2 wheeler drivers…but I have hardly seen any one wearing a HELMET..isn’t it a sad state….L While I was in shop to get a HELMET…a couple came n I was so touched by the gals bf’s concern n he was helping her buy the HELMET….I felt good by seeing them both…she had her bf who cared for her n I had my fellow bloggers who cared for me n convinced me..J Hope everyone gets friends like u all…n ppl end up buying one like me….

I would request and suggest all of the ppl out there who drive but don’t wear ‘HELMET’ pls think twice and again….and get one Today….coz u would not want ur dear n near ones to say this…..“I wish the Supreme Court would pass a law that parents must die first. When I was lighting the funeral pyre of my son/daughter I thought should it not have been him lighting mine instead” – A grief stricken parent

We all know that prevention is better than cure. It is not unreasonable for society to expect laws already enacted in public interest, to be implemented and enforced. So don’t wait till its made compulsory in ur city to wear Helmets….get one today….In my city its not compulsory but it will b made compulsory from 1st june, 2005…so I m happy something that these law enforcing agencies could not do…my fellow bloggers have done…..

Helmets also protect the face, as facial fractures are twice as common in the non-helmeted riders. It is universally accepted that the incidence of serious head injuries is significantly more in the non helmet-wearing group. Well all know this but still Ignore wearing one….

A “Report on the Safety of Users of Two Wheeled Motor Vehicles” covering 19 countries under the auspices of the European Conference of Ministers of Transport revealed that in the UK a two wheeler driver is 30 times more likely to be killed than a car driver, per kilometer travelled.

Here r few reasons..for which most of us avoid wearing a ‘HELMET’ ( one in pink color r the excuses I use to make )

“I am a good driver. How can an accident ever happen to me “? (Freud pointed out long ago, that the mind will not even accept the remote possibility of anything unpleasant happening to the body )

“But, it is not compulsory “ ( Big Brother must be watching all the time. Self discipline and following the rule of the road is only for the neighbour

“I use the scooter for very short distances” (If only the bus driver knew this

“Where do I keep it“ (Where there is a will there is a way )

“I may loose my hair“ (How many bald motor cyclists does one see?)

“It is so hot and uncomfortable“ (If only you knew how much hotter it can get without one!!! )

“I may get headache and neck pain” ( at least you will still have a head )

“Neck & Spinal Cord injuries may increase , reduced hearing &, vision, increased fatigue & overconfidence ( Detailed studies have shown that this is not true Ref US Dept of Transportation .

“Ungainly appendage on a beautiful feminine head” (and we talk about equality and women’s liberation!)

“What is to be will be” (Alas the bereaved family does not subscribe to this oriental fatalism)

“What about the family” (Buy three for the price of two?)

“I have just not had the time” ( Time and tide wait for no Man)

“A helmet is expensive” ( Obviously the contents are not )

Adventure, recklessness, misplaced enthusiasm particularly in the young – helmets worn only by “sissies” ( Knowledge is learning from one’s known mistakes, Wisdom is learning from another’s mistakes – alas self acquired knowledge may be too late )

“What about protecting other body parts” ( death & major disability is due to brain injury – protecting the brain is easy, pragmatic and effective)

Friends…this is a small post I could write about ur safety…now its upto u all to decide “to wear or not to wear”

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th August 2005 at 16:32.
Old 9th August 2005, 19:27   #20
BHPian

I always wear a helmet as i was saved of major head injuries once because of helmet.
Old 9th August 2005, 23:07   #21
Tom
BHPian

if you would like to help campaign the importance of wearing a helmet in your city/company join in:
http://www.geocities.com/acampaigner/index.htm

couple of us guys joined hands with these guys and conducted a road-safety campaign in b'lore and the response was quite good.

And incase u didnt know...'road accidents' is the 2nd biggest killer of man.

Last edited by Tom : 9th August 2005 at 23:09.
Old 9th August 2005, 23:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

I don't drive bikes, but yea helmets should be used.

Off Topic : Off road helmets look way cool, so they are prefered
Old 10th August 2005, 00:08   #23
BHPian

always!!!!! no matter wht!
Old 11th August 2005, 11:27   #24
BHPian

no compromise on this one

i always wear a helmet..even for very short distances..have been riding bikes for the last 7 years and my dad handed me the helmet the day i got the keys for my bike..
i feel sorry for the people who do not wear helmets and come out with reasons like "hairloss" and "have to lug it around"...its all until you start using it that you see these as issues..i now find it an inseparable part of me whenever i go on my bike...
anyways, hope that some sense prevails over the govt and authorities who make the rules, so that wearing helmet becomes mandatory and not a choice.
Old 14th August 2005, 13:22   #25
BHPian

Well for me, I feel comfortable to ride in city without helmets, as the oncoming & passing by traffic is easier to spot.

But in the Highways Helmet is a must, as it is better to ride with proper protection gear, you never know who, when and from where may hit you and run away.
Old 14th August 2005, 17:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Please wear a Helmet-even when u're a Pillion Rider

Hi
I wear a Helmet whenever I travel in a Bike(which means even I'm the Pillion).I drive around 25kms in my Fiero daily.
Actually I started wearing it to get away from the Dust/Pollution on Chennai Roads but once it saved my life.
My friend was driving my Fiero from Pondicherry to Chennai on ECR. At arond 5.30 PM near Mamallapuram a stupid Pulsar rider(8/10 pulsar riders dont't know how to drive a Pulsar..they're just carried away by the racy Ads that Bajaj shows) overtook 2 bikes on his side & entered well inside our Lane. My Friend swereved the Bike to the extreme left(there was a slope on the left side) but unfortunately a Santro was behind us & he too swereved to the left & slightly hit us from the side. We went diving into the slope. But were fortunate enough to get away with minor bruises & cuts. The Pulsar hit the Santro head on & the Rider was thrown away. The ECR emergency Ambulance was there in 10mins but pronounced the Pulsar Rider dead!!
Guyz remember that both me & my friend were wearing a Helmet.
I can't blame the Santro driver, he tried his best to avoid the crash but what can he do when that stupid was racing in the wrong lane.
Even though what I'm saying is off-Topic I repeat that most Pulsar riders are Irresponsible & dont know how to drive a 150CC bike(Atleast in Chennai). For proof, check the Accidents involving Pulsar for any month.

cheers
kishore
Old 16th August 2005, 15:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmourOfGod
Well for me, I feel comfortable to ride in city without helmets, as the oncoming & passing by traffic is easier to spot.
Thats quite a stupid notion. It does not take much to crack the skull. Travelling at 20 kmph and going down from a height of 4'-5' is more than enough to crack it. So be wise and wear on all occasions.
Old 16th August 2005, 18:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
I dont.
A. Coz i dont ride a bike.
B. No helmet fits over my turban

Balle Balle My friend.

Well I totally agree with you that no helmet would fit over your turban, but I would also like to point out to the Sikh members of this forum and especially to those who have not cut their Kesh ,to wear a helmet when they are wearing a PATKA instead of a TURBAN , so many times when I go to the gurudwara , I see guys on their bikes, just wearing the Patka , and not a helmet over it.
I would like to point out that firstly it’s not safe by driving just with Patka on minus a helmet, as it offers no protection and secondly its against the LAW. The law is very clear, only Turban is allowed in case a helmet is not worn.

Besides its must to wear a helmet once you are on a bike , as the life it saves will be your only .

Remember safety first and play afterwards.
ArmourOfGod this is for you and please think about it again and really hard ..

Who do u know would jump from an Plane if he does not have a parachute, the same is with Helmets and 2 Wheelers..

Spread the message along and hopefully the lives you same might be your near and dear ones..

Cheetah Out.....

Bad Cheetah ... Cheetah Bhi Peeta Hai
Old 16th August 2005, 18:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

I Always wear a helmet.

Prefer carrying it along than locking it up with bike & hence dont have helmet lock on either of my bikes
Old 17th August 2005, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

don't have a bike now .. but when I did, the helmet (a fully covered studds) was a must .. I actually used to feel uncomfortable without one ..

what pains me more are people who do wear helmets but
a. buy the cheapest stuff available
b. don't buy helmets for their kids .. so u see both parents wearing their helmets, but the child goes without one .. i absolutely fail to see the logic behind this 'discrimination' ..

Most Viewed