Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 12:57   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
Ok, I did it today- walked upto to the showroom in Indiranagar and booked 2 of them in Black, one for my cousin..I have kinda coaxed him to pick up one as well, he was more inclined towards the Apache but I have influenced him a lil to change his mind.
Congrates for the FZ.

But you could have gone for Apache 180 RTR,which is far better than FZ.
Only except the looks.
can we know the reason you choose FZ over other 150 CC bikes.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

@parimal- Please read the thread, the reasons have already been discussed
Old 26th November 2009, 13:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Congrates for the FZ.

But you could have gone for Apache 180 RTR,which is far better than FZ.
Only except the looks.
can we know the reason you choose FZ over other 150 CC bikes.
Well.. you said it all, the looks just don't impress me, I think I need to feel good when I sit on a bike- if that criteria itself is not satisfied.. I would not pick one up. I second your thought on the RTR 180, I kinda liked this bike for two reasons

1- Awesome feel, powerful grunt.
2- Comes in white!!

But, is priced as much and does not give any additonal goodies like maybe a better tyre/back disc brakes to compensate on the lean look and those pathetic grab rails.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:19   #34
BHPian

Opps.,Got it.

I was following this thread really don't know how did i missed the "Faring" and Fat tyre requirments.

This bike looks stunning and the fit and finish is just great,small touches to seat and the fabric used for the seat cover is too good.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I did it today- walked upto to the showroom in Indiranagar and booked 2 of them in Black, one for my cousin..I have kinda coaxed him to pick up one as well, he was more inclined towards the Apache but I have influenced him a lil to change his mind.

Thoughts guys.. let me know if I still need to change my mind, wat disturbed me the most was when a fellow Bhpian responded to my query on a ownership log saying everything was fine with the bike but he sold it ... just not powerful enough was his impression, I have test ridden it in city conditions, do you know how the bike will feel say at a 100KMPH? I felt the classic pulsar 180 did it with ease but the 150 struggled, will it be the same feeling with this bike?
Congrats mate!! Taken the plunge finally. If you are using it only in the city, dont bother at all, its the best of the lot along with the RTR180. The power delivery is terrific and the dimensions are just right for city traffic.
The place where it will suffer is on the highway when you stretch its legs. It does 100 no doubt but I have read and heard that its a struggle to reach the ton mark. But 80 is quite easy is the opinion. So unless you have nil traffic and want to do a ton in the city streets, the FZ should serve you well!!
Old 26th November 2009, 16:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well.. you said it all, the looks just don't impress me, I think I need to feel good when I sit on a bike- if that criteria itself is not satisfied.. I would not pick one up. I second your thought on the RTR 180, I kinda liked this bike for two reasons

1- Awesome feel, powerful grunt.
2- Comes in white!!

But, is priced as much and does not give any additonal goodies like maybe a better tyre/back disc brakes to compensate on the lean look and those pathetic grab rails.
Congrats on the FZ. Its a fantastic bike, i might have gone for it but the pillion seat was one of the criteria which it didnt let it fit into my requirements.
BTW, the RTR does have a rear disc break, though I agree on the better tyre part.

Last edited by sammyboy : 26th November 2009 at 16:59.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:49   #37
BHPian

I have been toying with the idea of buying a bike myself, want to buy for 2 reasons, first being I need a break from driving a Car, and second it's more economical for short runs. I need a all and all commutor I think, I don't like bikes where one has to bend, especially bikes like Bajaj Pulsars, they give me pain in my palms, as I'm heavy and all my weight falls on my palms. I like bikes with upright positions, been thinking about the Hero Honda Glamore, don't know if it's worth the investment of 54k.
Old 26th November 2009, 21:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats mate!! Taken the plunge finally. If you are using it only in the city, dont bother at all, its the best of the lot along with the RTR180. The power delivery is terrific and the dimensions are just right for city traffic.
The place where it will suffer is on the highway when you stretch its legs. It does 100 no doubt but I have read and heard that its a struggle to reach the ton mark. But 80 is quite easy is the opinion. So unless you have nil traffic and want to do a ton in the city streets, the FZ should serve you well!!
please dont tell me it struggles to do a 100.. man that will be dissapointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Congrats on the FZ. Its a fantastic bike, i might have gone for it but the pillion seat was one of the criteria which it didnt let it fit into my requirements.
BTW, the RTR does have a rear disc break, though I agree on the better tyre part.
the 180 has discs? I thought only the 150 came with it, too late now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I have been toying with the idea of buying a bike myself, want to buy for 2 reasons, first being I need a break from driving a Car, and second it's more economical for short runs. I need a all and all commutor I think, I don't like bikes where one has to bend, especially bikes like Bajaj Pulsars, they give me pain in my palms, as I'm heavy and all my weight falls on my palms. I like bikes with upright positions, been thinking about the Hero Honda Glamore, don't know if it's worth the investment of 54k.
Is non gear an option? I think an Activa will be a good bike and worth the money. If it has to be a bike, hmm.. If you are less than 5ft 6 inch an Avenger may be a good bike, I don't know- how about a thread with your specifc needs for starters?
Old 26th November 2009, 21:38   #39
BHPian

Expecting him tomorrow!

Ok, I have made the payment, I looked at the bike/s available, he had two- one with a chassis # ending 64something and the other 66656, I picked the "666" one , not for the number cause as per the series 66 comes later than 64. I'm expecting delivery by 3PM tomorrow.. man I'm excited!

Anything that I should keep an eye for guys?

The bikes were pretty dirty and no visible damages.
Old 26th November 2009, 22:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
please dont tell me it struggles to do a 100.. man that will be dissapointing.

the 180 has discs? I thought only the 150 came with it, too late now!

Is non gear an option? I think an Activa will be a good bike and worth the money. If it has to be a bike, hmm.. If you are less than 5ft 6 inch an Avenger may be a good bike, I don't know- how about a thread with your specifc needs for starters?
I already have an Activa , just don't like it anymore, it's now 5 yrs old, and not something I'll take for a 10 km drive and by the way I'm 6 ft and about 110 Kg's.
Old 27th November 2009, 13:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything that I should keep an eye for guys?
Happy Riding, SJ

I would the check the following -

1. You must get a new battery - it should a freshly charged one. For 2 wheelers AMCO was the best brand I had used. Insisted and got it for my Gladiator.

2. Check the engine oil - Yamaha oil is the best. The manual warns against adding any type of additive to oil for reducing friction.

3. Check the tyres - if you want to change them, get it done before delivery. The dunlop tyres (uni-direction rotation) tramlines a lot.

4. Check out all electricals and have a good dry run. I had a front disc problem later - however, they replaced it under warranty.

4. The dealer may not give freebies now that Yamaha sales have picked up. I got Rs. 250/- worth petrol. Some others got the Yamaha keychain - the leather one with which John Abraham used to pose with. It cost 100 bucks!
Old 27th November 2009, 13:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Happy Riding, SJ

I would the check the following -

1. You must get a new battery - it should a freshly charged one. For 2 wheelers AMCO was the best brand I had used. Insisted and got it for my Gladiator.

2. Check the engine oil - Yamaha oil is the best. The manual warns against adding any type of additive to oil for reducing friction.

3. Check the tyres - if you want to change them, get it done before delivery. The dunlop tyres (uni-direction rotation) tramlines a lot.

4. Check out all electricals and have a good dry run. I had a front disc problem later - however, they replaced it under warranty.

4. The dealer may not give freebies now that Yamaha sales have picked up. I got Rs. 250/- worth petrol. Some others got the Yamaha keychain - the leather one with which John Abraham used to pose with. It cost 100 bucks!

Thanks bro-

- Are you suggesting get a new battery? if not- how do I check it?
- What do I check in engine oil? I mean use the dipstick or ask him to refill?
- Tyres- tramlines? suggesting not have Dunlop?
- any specifics in electricals? you mean turn everything on and see if it works?
Old 27th November 2009, 13:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Answers in bold below mate!!

Quote:
Thanks bro-

- Are you suggesting get a new battery? if not- how do I check it?
He is suggesting that you check the battery to ensure its a new one with a gurantee card and also that its fully charged. If you ask the mech, he will be able to demonstrate that its charged adequately.
- What do I check in engine oil? I mean use the dipstick or ask him to refill?
I dont think you have dip stick nowadays. Atleast my P220 does not. You have to see in the window to ensure optimum level of engine oil is filled up.
- Tyres- tramlines? suggesting not have Dunlop?
No idea.. Vrprabhu would be best placed to answer this
- any specifics in electricals? you mean turn everything on and see if it works?
Exactly... Turn everything on and ensure the headlights, speedo light, blinkers, brake lights etc are all functioning and also ensure no warning lights or indicators are on!
Old 21st December 2009, 16:03   #44
BHPian

First Service

Its been almost a month now, the dude is ready for first service (500KM). I had been to the service center on Old Madras road and was not impressed by the standards, terribly crowded and very dusty. Not sure if I can expect a good service from this place.

Any suggestion guys? I would like to know where do you give your Yamahas for service in Bangalore.

An initial report is on its way.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestion guys? I would like to know where do you give your Yamahas for service in Bangalore.
Hi, S_J! Sorry did not post reply to your earlier query. Was very lazy - and abhinav had it all covered. (It appears unidirectional rotation tyres tramline - doesn't matter which brand).

Coming to your present query, I too see the same thing here in Pune. With FZ selling like hotcakes, all the dealers are seeing an upsurge and so the service is taking the back seat.

Yamaha has opened a few pro-riders shops - check out if there is one in Bangalore from their website. Think it will be worth it for the first few services (at least upto 5000 kms).

I have developed a technique - as soon as I arrive for service, I ask them for oil change (oil drains much better when it is hot, and I can ensure that all the old oil is removed). Alternately, 1 litre Yamalube is available which I buy and change the oil myself. Believe me, it is worth it.

Second thing, get the chain checked thoroughly with the sprockets and the spacers used for aligning the axle rod - this gives an indication that the essential items are well screwed / bolted. (Neglected chains cause "chain snatch" - the gear changes will feel jerky)

Waiting for the initial drive reports.

Most Viewed