Team-BHP - Would you buy a new bike for secondary commute? EDIT- Booked Yamaha FZ16
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Would you buy a new bike for secondary commute? EDIT- Booked Yamaha FZ16 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/70036-would-you-buy-new-bike-secondary-commute-edit-booked-yamaha-fz16.html)

Ok, I have been groping on this thought for too long now.. Do I pay 30K as downpayment and get myself a brand new FZ for 2K EMI (3yrs) or settle for a second hand bike!!

I have a SwiftD and spend close to 3K on a average everymonth on fuel expenses, if it is not raining or I have to travel short distances I would prefer a bike in B'lore traffic, not to mention the itch to own a bike again and would love for it to be a new one!.

Please guys, need your thoughts here.. do you think it is worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiJack (Post 1597000)
Ok, I have been groping on this thought for too long now.. Do I pay 30K as downpayment and get myself a brand new FZ for 2K EMI (3yrs) or settle for a second hand bike!!

I have a SwiftD and spend close to 3K on a average everymonth on fuel expenses, if it is not raining or I have to travel short distances I would prefer a bike in B'lore traffic, not to mention the itch to own a bike again and would love for it to be a new one!.

Please guys, need your thoughts here.. do you think it is worth it?

I am not an expert in the financial sense of the matter. But if you want to own a bike then from my experience with bikes, new ones are always better compared to second hand bikes.

You may want to check out the classified section on T-BHP for some decent used bikes as you can be sure they are credible enough when compared to the second hand dealers outside.

Depends on how much distance you want to travel and the road conditions.

A typical 150+ cc bike will return 50 kmpl in traffic.
i.e. running cost of 1 Rs per KM.

Your swift D would be returning like 16 kmpl in traffic.
i.e. about 2.5 per KM.

so you save about 1.5 Rs per km. :)

Is it worth the risk involved?
Considering that a motorcycle is a lot risky than a car in our metro's

If the idea is to use for short distance, why not a cycle.
Or maybe an E-Bike.

The depreciation loss on your bike over a 3 year period would be equal to the cost of the e-bike right now. I suppose.

Advantage of an e-bike, others in your family will be able to use it as well.

I was in the same quandary myself till a few months back.
Finally decided to go in for a new RTR180.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rtr-180-a.html

I have managed a paltry 470 kms in almost 4 months but then I knew that I wouldnt go over 150 kms a month. Didnt take it on EMI as I was quoted almost 18% pa which was ridiculous.

Go for a 2nd hand if you plan to change it soon but if you plan to stick to it for a few years it will make sense to go for a new one :D
Enjoy the dilemma, I did. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 1597162)
I am not an expert in the financial sense of the matter. But if you want to own a bike then from my experience with bikes, new ones are always better compared to second hand bikes.

You may want to check out the classified section on T-BHP for some decent used bikes as you can be sure they are credible enough when compared to the second hand dealers outside.

Thanks A- looked up classified and have also posted a requirement, I'm looking for a 180 Pulsar classic if it has to be a second hand. Not able to find one in B'lore

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1597205)

i.e. about 2.5 per KM.

Or maybe an E-Bike.

The depreciation loss on your bike over a 3 year period would be equal to the cost of the e-bike right now. I suppose.

Thanks Bblost- I kinda like that name, in terms of savings.. I will be actually spending around 1K more if I get a new bike (2K EMI/ 1K Gas and the downpayment split up)

E- bikes- I know a very good thought but secondary commute can be to office and back approx 20KM up and down.. can't imagine how soon I will reach there with an E-bike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 1597241)
I was in the same quandary myself till a few months back.
Finally decided to go in for a new RTR180.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rtr-180-a.html

I have managed a paltry 470 kms in almost 4 months but then I knew that I wouldnt go over 150 kms a month. Didnt take it on EMI as I was quoted almost 18% pa which was ridiculous.

Go for a 2nd hand if you plan to change it soon but if you plan to stick to it for a few years it will make sense to go for a new one :D
Enjoy the dilemma, I did. :D

This bike will be my last- that's why I want to consider getting a new one!

Go for a new bike, establish a relationship for life.

But buy it for sure if you are doing it for passion, but if economical reasons and do proper reasoning before going for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashank.A (Post 1597342)
Go for a new bike, establish a relationship for life.

But buy it for sure if you are doing it for passion, but if economical reasons and do proper reasoning before going for it.

Thanks Shashank.. you are fuelling my urge now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1597205)

i.e. about 2.5 per KM.

Or maybe an E-Bike.

This e-bike thing is very interesting. Who are the suppliers in the market today? Any reviews? Prices? Hope its not as unaffordable as the Reva!

Using the Scorp to go short distances feels stupid. And using the twin seems even more extravagant. Damn, just firing her up seems to drink up a litre. Forget about the Willy's. I guess its time for some of us blockheads to start making sane choices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 1597539)
This e-bike thing is very interesting. Who are the suppliers in the market today? Any reviews? Prices? Hope its not as unaffordable as the Reva!

Using the Scorp to go short distances feels stupid. And using the twin seems even more extravagant. Damn, just firing her up seems to drink up a litre. Forget about the Willy's. I guess its time for some of us blockheads to start making sane choices.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...c-scooter.html

You can find more info on Electric scooters in this thread.

Now lets get back to the topic. :)

If you want to go for FZ on looks and initial torque go for it. If you are very much concerned about mileage it might not be a bike for you. It gives 35 kmpl average in city. I use FZ-S along with my ANHC it really save a lot of time with bike you can reach the nearest point and park it, where as in car you have to keep searching for parking and might have to take Auto to reach destination:) after parking.

I would recommend a brand new bike, especially since it is going to be your last one.

Go for a brand new bike. It'll come in handy always.

If you think it's your last bike, means you will keep it for long period then go for a new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamanth (Post 1597990)
If you want to go for FZ on looks and initial torque go for it. If you are very much concerned about mileage it might not be a bike for you. It gives 35 kmpl average in city. I use FZ-S along with my ANHC it really save a lot of time with bike you can reach the nearest point and park it, where as in car you have to keep searching for parking and might have to take Auto to reach destination:) after parking.

FE is not a concern, 35 itslef feels good once you get used to 10/15 in cars, and the concerns you talk about are the main reason to opt for a bike.. finding a parking slot specially if you are hungry :Frustrati or in a hurry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1598007)
I would recommend a brand new bike, especially since it is going to be your last one.

Thanks Gansan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 1598130)
Go for a brand new bike. It'll come in handy always.
  • It'll be cheaper around the city and especially if you've to rush somewhere during peak hours.
  • It'll also be a good option, since its better to take out your bike if you're commuting alone rather than a car.
  • Forget the savings in fuel, thats not the entire deal. You'll anyways have to spend on regular maintainence and service. Difference is you'll have another transport and that is the real added advantage.
  • I like the FZ. Its a good bike no doubt, very reliable. But I've always doubted the rear seat comfort.

Yep, totally agree- but I'm looking for single commutes so back seat is not a worry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akas_chauhan (Post 1598163)
If you think it's your last bike, means you will keep it for long period then go for a new one.

Yea, want to keep it shining for a long long time!

I have 2 bikes here in Bangalore already and inch'ing towards a Bullet Classic 500.

Oh by the way the bike is primary commute :D Me and wife prefer it over the car anytime.