Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 19:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
From the wiki - Capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) or thyristor ignition is a type of automotive electronic ignition system which is widely used in motorcycles, lawn mowers, chain saws, small engines, turbine powered aircraft, and some cars.
The full form , that`s the only thing i understood, rest all went over my head. Thanks anywayz abhinav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
We have a comprehensive list of Technical Jargons with explanations posted Here on the forum - A Guide On Technical Jargons - Motorbikes
Thank you for the liknk technocrat, i am going thru it right now.
Old 25th November 2009, 20:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

Congrats abhinav.s
Quote:
1. After the service, the headlight beams were not positioned properly. Low beam was pointing to the trees and the high beam was pointing to the moon!!!
With Bajaj service, always make sure you check the bike properly before taking delivery after service. Trust me, I made a HUGE mistake once trusting them (Forgot to check for engine oil! )! I still love my 180 though after around 27k kms.

Always check for engine oil, working electricals, horn etc after service.
Quote:
2. The suspension was not as it was before. It had become quite bumpy and also the balance was somewhat lacking which was there before the service.
3. Fairing vibes became so much that the RVM's became totally useless! Of course it is a different story that they are only 60% useful even without the vibes.
4. Not sure how to say this but the feel that was present before the service was lacking.
Could this be due to over-inflation of tyres?
Quote:
Lights are the best on any bike in India so far, period. There is no need for any aftermarket fitments and it lights up the road amazingly. Credit to the 55W bulbs in both the low and high beams.
THE best! Makes night travel a lot better IMO!
Old 25th November 2009, 20:13   #18
BHPian

Abhinav the points that you have mentioned are the same that went through my head when I sold my 10 months old Fz 16 & was looking for a replacement. First I thought of going in for the ZMA R (not ZMR), then I thought the on road price for that was about Rs. 85,000/= & the P 220 was Rs. 81,000/=. But the P 220 was better in terms of features like Rear disc brake, Projector Lamps, IRC tubeless tyres, more power, etc., so I went in for the P 220 Dtsi & got my bike last Friday, have covered about 110 kms so far. I bought a red colour one. The Hero Honda showroom didn't even have a test ride bike, so no test rides too.

CHEERS,
G D

Last edited by P180V1 : 25th November 2009 at 20:15.
Old 26th November 2009, 00:10   #19
BHPian

No offence intended but as a near 5 month owner of the P220 DTSi clocking over 3700kms, I really dont think this bike is 'better' than ZMR. Agree that this might be the best pulsar till date but this is not perfect.

My gear though smooth, sometimes DOES NOT slot well. My prev P150 DTSi had a problem of double shift pattern wherein i needed to press 'precisely' to slot in to some gears. I fear the same is happening with this one too. Gear is not slotting that smooth as it used to be at ODO 00000 kms.

High end power and top speed is great. I have taken it to 135kmph (ODO), but guys do admit the fact that the initial grunt is poor. Just dream to catch an RTR or ZMR initially. P220 is a touch too heavy I feel. And add to it the BROAAAAAAD tyres and stuff which are eating away a bit of the bikes performance. Put the same tyre on an RTR and it wont move hahaha. Braking is wonderful though, BUT HANDLING NOT AT ALL IMPRESSIVE in traffic. This is a tourer, definitely.

Mileage, best i got during run-in was 41. Current mileage Iam getting is 34kmpl. Same type of driving in my old P150 i used to get 50. P220 is a touch faster than most bikes in 'normal' driving conditions. So here the 'normal' speed is something like 80-90kmph. Guys dont go beleive words about 40+ mileage, this bike is gonna get you somewhere around 35kmpl in city conditions, still fair enough though.

The sound from the engine after a long drive is not so pleasing. I wonder what will happen after a few years! My 5 yr old P150 was far quieter! Did notice some kind of knocking sound from the engine as well once in a while. Some how felt the engine is not perfectly tuned even after both the services.

Rest things are somewhat ok. But still, having crossed these kms, I feel this bike wont be that good as an ZMR in the long run. I thought ZMR was supposed to be 10k more. If its a matter of just 2-3k, my opinion is - GO FOR THE ZMR, a P220 may overtake you, but you ll have a better bike overall in ZMR. After all Honda (Engine) is Honda.

PS: Just dont go buy a bike bcoz of mere features. The manufacturer has done that to woo more customers who otherwise may not be 'that' impressed. Do think hard before buying. I had my own reasons for P220, main one being that Bajaj offered an unbeleivable exchange price for my 3 month old Bullet which other dint!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 26th November 2009 at 00:26. Reason: typo
Old 26th November 2009, 12:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

After so many raving comments on the P220 now you suddenly feel its not a worthy bike?

Also What experience do you have with ZMR to be able to compare it with the 220? Again you are comparing an Fi bike to a non Fi one, why?
Old 26th November 2009, 14:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the wishes crazydriver... Answers in bold below

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats abhinav.s

With Bajaj service, always make sure you check the bike properly before taking delivery after service. Trust me, I made a HUGE mistake once trusting them (Forgot to check for engine oil! )! I still love my 180 though after around 27k kms.

I have learnt my lesson after the first service.. Hence I have made it a point to stay at the SVC during 2nd service onwards to exactly see what goes on with the bike.

Could this be due to over-inflation of tyres?

Got the pressure checked. The recommended pressure is 28-28 if its single and 28-32 with pillion. But i am keeping it at 28-30 which is currently working well for me.

THE best! Makes night travel a lot better IMO!
Old 26th November 2009, 15:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Mods please excuse the consecutive post. This called for a separate reply!

Hi Sam, comments in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
No offence intended but as a near 5 month owner of the P220 DTSi clocking over 3700kms, I really dont think this bike is 'better' than ZMR. Agree that this might be the best pulsar till date but this is not perfect.

None taken mate! But with just 3700 kms I dont know how u can claim its not better than ZMR. As Techno pointed out, Fi and Non-Fi comparison is just not right. And you rightly said, this is the best pulsar till date and also like i have mentioned in my review there are minor niggles but not deal breakers for sure. The ZMR is still new and we dont know what are the niggles with it before saying ZMR is better.

My gear though smooth, sometimes DOES NOT slot well. My prev P150 DTSi had a problem of double shift pattern wherein i needed to press 'precisely' to slot in to some gears. I fear the same is happening with this one too. Gear is not slotting that smooth as it used to be at ODO 00000 kms.

Well then there is something wrong with the shifts in your bike & need to be checked out thoroughly. Coz I faced a similar issue just before my second service. But my bike was stationary for nearly 3 weeks since i was out of town for work and the bike was not even started during my absence. The SA said it could be due to this and after my second service the gears are back to their normal self and slot without any issues.

High end power and top speed is great. I have taken it to 135kmph (ODO), but guys do admit the fact that the initial grunt is poor. Just dream to catch an RTR or ZMR initially. P220 is a touch too heavy I feel. And add to it the BROAAAAAAD tyres and stuff which are eating away a bit of the bikes performance. Put the same tyre on an RTR and it wont move hahaha. Braking is wonderful though, BUT HANDLING NOT AT ALL IMPRESSIVE in traffic. This is a tourer, definitely.

Not raced with any RTR till date and have not yet seen a ZMR on road in bangalore so no racing with ZMR as well. In fact i dont race on the city streets so cannot comment on the comparison. But in general the initial power and acceleration is sufficient to get you ahead of the lurking traffic in the city. Handling yes.. Agree with you that its not as slick as the RTR or R15 and take quite some getting used to before you can maneuver in city traffic. Depends what is required from the buyer. Slick handling but less power for city commute only or an ok handler in the city with amazing power and handling for highway touring. If its the latter then the P220 it is!!!

Mileage, best i got during run-in was 41. Current mileage Iam getting is 34kmpl. Same type of driving in my old P150 i used to get 50. P220 is a touch faster than most bikes in 'normal' driving conditions. So here the 'normal' speed is something like 80-90kmph. Guys dont go beleive words about 40+ mileage, this bike is gonna get you somewhere around 35kmpl in city conditions, still fair enough though.

This is totally dependent on the riding style and cannot be generalized. For me, during the run-in before first service the Avg. was 46kmpl. After that when i started riding a little more freely and taking it upto 6k rpm the mileage was around 36-38 and sometimes it was even 40kmpl. And yes its fair enough like you say for a bike with this power and capacity.

The sound from the engine after a long drive is not so pleasing. I wonder what will happen after a few years! My 5 yr old P150 was far quieter! Did notice some kind of knocking sound from the engine as well once in a while. Some how felt the engine is not perfectly tuned even after both the services.

Not sure why this is the case with your bike. I went on a long ride soon after my first service. The engine note though a bit on the louder side was not harsh and worrying.

Rest things are somewhat ok. But still, having crossed these kms, I feel this bike wont be that good as an ZMR in the long run. I thought ZMR was supposed to be 10k more. If its a matter of just 2-3k, my opinion is - GO FOR THE ZMR, a P220 may overtake you, but you ll have a better bike overall in ZMR. After all Honda (Engine) is Honda.

Now this is not a correct comment to make as you dont know what is in store with the ZMR. Even if you have bought a ZMR and completed xxx kms with it, you can still not generalize that it will be better or P220 will be bad. Its all a wait and see game for both the bikes. For now, enjoy the P220 to the fullest!! Thats all i can say. Engine though is a major consideration, would not be the only reason for a buyer to choose a bike.

PS: Just dont go buy a bike bcoz of mere features. The manufacturer has done that to woo more customers who otherwise may not be 'that' impressed. Do think hard before buying. I had my own reasons for P220, main one being that Bajaj offered an unbeleivable exchange price for my 3 month old Bullet which other dint!

Well, normally one would generally go for a bike with more features for comparatively lesser money as its considered VFM. For the same or more money if HH or Yamaha is offering a bike with lesser features, definitely buyers will think hard and will be inclined towards the P220. The think hard part is right for sure as you need to have your requirements sorted out before putting down 80k!!
Old 27th November 2009, 17:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

A good detailed review abhinav, I have booked a P220 DTS-i for me in Silver colour.Your review helped me in getting ready for facing some common issues with the bike.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Again you are comparing an Fi bike to a non Fi one, why?
There is no debate that Fi is the more advanced/newer technology. Advantages include better throttle response, better control over emissions and in many cases more power and efficiency. However, is Fi vs. non-Fi really such a big differentiator in the same segment that we ought to stop comparing bikes? Consider that the manufacturer moved from Fi to non-Fi in the case of the P220 with seemingly better performance to boot.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
A good detailed review abhinav, I have booked a P220 DTS-i for me in Silver colour.Your review helped me in getting ready for facing some common issues with the bike.
Congrats mate! Silver body color with the rest of the parts in black will be a killer combo!!

Dont worry, there are not too many issues as well... Touch wood!!
Old 27th November 2009, 20:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats mate! Silver body color with the rest of the parts in black will be a killer combo!!

Dont worry, there are not too many issues as well... Touch wood!!
Thanks for compliments.
I have heared that CDI's of P220's are faulty and need to be replaced, should i tell the same thing to the Bajaj guys when i take delivery.

Last edited by mercedised : 27th November 2009 at 20:28.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
There is no debate that Fi is the more advanced/newer technology. Advantages include better throttle response, better control over emissions and in many cases more power and efficiency. However, is Fi vs. non-Fi really such a big differentiator in the same segment that we ought to stop comparing bikes? Consider that the manufacturer moved from Fi to non-Fi in the case of the P220 with seemingly better performance to boot.
I totally agree with your point, the reason I asked him is because he is particularly comparing ZMR to P220 & not with ZMA which is more level ground. Like you mentioned ofcourse an Fi bike would have better throttle response which has been the reported difference between the Fi & non Fi P220 as well.

So the idea was to ask why the ZMR & what better than the Fi does the ZMR have? He is talking about long term reliability even if ZMR is Honda its yet to prove its mettle so again why the comparo with ZMR & not ZMA which has been in the market for so long & has proved it self too.

I hope this is clear now
Old 28th November 2009, 11:22   #28
BHPian

Guys after reading loads of reviews and comparing ZMR/RTR/P220. I have brought the plasma blue P220 yesterday. Clocked in 100 kms yesterday only and had a great time. I don`t feel a need to write a review here since much has been written by abhinav. My expi is the same as his.

Loving everybit of it guys.

Abbas.

P.S. sorry abhinav for taking over your thread for a short update.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Very true you need to check the vehicle in and out after servicing, also keep an eye on your battery, there are instances of battery being switched.

regards
Old 28th November 2009, 15:23   #30
BHPian

This is in regards to the ZMR(FI) Vs. P220 (carb) debate (which is a better technology). Guys i just got my P220 yesterday as mentioned in my earlier post. Now while i was considering my options or buying a zmr or a 220 this question did come up in my mind whether which one would be better.

If we just check the history of both the bikes. ZMR was a hit bike since the start when it was offered in the carb version, whereas bajaj took an initiative of FI and launched thier P220. This was a bold move and they had many short comings in the product. Hence, the earlier P220 was not that hit with the people.

Now bajaj launching the P220 with carb technology is because they have already learnt their lesson with FI and now trying to improve on it with more power delivery. On the other side HH which already have a hit model is trying to come out with FI and other cosmetics changes because they have never updated the basic design since the inception of karizma. So the question marks remains on how the new ZMR would perform considering bajaj failed at FI.

So, my conclusion on these bike manufacturers is that on one hand you have a maker with past experience with FI and one who doesn`t. Now you make a choice who would you go with.

Last edited by Abbas : 28th November 2009 at 15:29.

Most Viewed