Team-BHP - Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/70515-fuel-tank-rust-removal-electrolysis-rust-proofing-2.html)

Informative pictorial process of electrolysis, Thanks for posting. Will sandblasting the tank and followed by RR do the good or this process is better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill (Post 2060989)
Informative pictorial process of electrolysis, Thanks for posting. Will sandblasting the tank and followed by RR do the good or this process is better?

Hi Gill, if you can find RR10, then go for it. After my post, I had a couple of requests to source the kit but I am unable to find it at any store now.

Sandblasting the tank would clear the rust. But has to be done carefully so that you get to all the corners without causing any perforations (holes). After sandblasting, the bare metal will be exposed which should be protected with a good sealant to prevent future rust. Epoxy coating is popular in India - check with your mechanic. Or, if you find RR10, you can use the last two steps for sealing.

Cheers
Teja

Thanks a lot H3LIOS for the pictorial discription..These are giving me ideas :D

Need to remove rust deposits on the front and rear mud guards, leg guard and chain cover of my bike KB100 RTZ. Any ideas what solution to use ? Does anybody recommend hard chrome plating ?

@riteshpawar: For rust on chrome parts i would recommend the chromium polish available at any bike spare part shops, its cheap and does the job pretty well. Its a white powder which has to be mixed with water to form a paste which has to be rubbed onto the desired surfaces. If i clearly remember the name was ''chakachak fatafat".Had used this years ago on My Kb100 and also the AX-100. Do try it and share your experience here.

I have been looking around for a remedy for rust in my pulsar fuel tank for a long time now. This is an excellent thread, covering all the aspects of the process. Rated a very deserving 5 star.

I would like to try this but not comfortable in DIY with my limited knowledge of things. :deadhorse

If there is anyone in bangalore willing to help me out, please ping me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaybiz (Post 1626789)
Excellent thread and i voted 5 star, i use to do the same stuff but with the help of my chrome plating guy he use to remove the rust and coat nickle inside tank to prevent further rusting, does a wonderful job.

@Ajay: My bike tank is filled with rust, can you give me the details of where you got this done in Bangalore?

Very good piece of information. Definitely helpful. My fiero fuel tank is rusted completely and i was going to get the rust removal and treatment done outside.

Thanks for sharing. I'll try doing this at home and keep you posted.

Could you explain more on the electrolysis process? The -ve is connected to the tank and the +ve to the hanger which is immersed into the tank with the fluids?

Also i guess a roll of cling film should help in protecting the paint from the gooey sludge.

Did you consider sand blasting or glass bead blasting? A proven and very easy method to to clean out rust and also paint if the need be. But yes these could not be done at home.

I have removed most of the rust from my bikes gas tak at home remaining rust and nickel plating inside the tank got it done in my Hone Town Bhilai, here in Bangalore couple of guys at Vijay Nagar are doing epoxy coating inside the tank and actually its life long treatment bit on costly side costs 4K per tank.
Sand blasting is not advisable for gas tank as it may eat the whole metal or the thickness of tank will go for the toss.

Sand/Media blasting may be used for rust removal, but the sand removal from the tank it self is a tuff task. Rush removal is easier part of the job; Future rust prevention is hard nut to crack. Plating is one option; Epoxy coating, another is use of POR15 or something similar.

I once happened to talk with a Hyderabadi based dealer who deals with POR15. I was told that the solution was available in 10 - 15 Ltr cans which anyways was too much for my requirement on a scooter. If there are people to share a can things would be fine.
Considering the Epoxy option, Araldite is also an Epoxy based adhesive. For about Rs 400 or 500 there is a half litre pack available and can be just sufficient for 1 or 2 fifteen litre fuel tanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper (Post 2310631)
@riteshpawar: If i clearly remember the name was ''chakachak fatafat".Had used this years ago on My Kb100 and also the AX-100. Do try it and share your experience here.

Tried to search for this but could find it, however I stumbled upon a manufacturer Perma Industries in Goregaon West Mumbai who manufacture Rust remover for construction and automotive industry and he said that he has a solution that comes in a 1 ltr, 5 ltr and 10 ltr bottles.

1 Ltr costs about Rs.500/- this solution needs to be administered directly to the affected surface and leave it on for 20 - 30 minutes. Then using a hard bristled brush (metal wire brush like the ones used to clean gas stoves) remove the Rust that comes off loose. He asked me to do this 2-3 times for more persistent Rust problems.

He was carrying a sample solution that I tried and it gave me excellent results. He is going to call me tomorrow with my order. I'll post his details in this forum after I get my restoration work started off with some pictures of my bike too.

But after this the actual problem begins ... after rust is gone how do we get that original shine back !! Any ideas ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by riteshpawar (Post 2311735)
But after this the actual problem begins ... after rust is gone how do we get that original shine back !! Any ideas ??

Plating, then buffing and polishing.

All of the rust removers are phosphoric acid based. Rustolene and wd40 are also one of them. All which come in spary cans have some oil mixed with them to lubricate the joints or bolts. The non aerosol packing does not have oil

Rustolene now a pidilite company is available @ Rs. 170 a liter and is available freely. What more is that the phosphoric acid leaves a black phospated surface after the process which is a good surface repeling further rust and amazing paintability.

i have tried this method too and its like the phosphoric acid method since there is a black colour oxide coating in the end.the best method for rust removal for realatively smaller parts. Since i have a bathtub in my bathroom , i can also do it on bigger items.

PLEASE NOTE: never use a stainless steel object as an anode as our friend here did. the products of this reaction would contain chromates which are highly toxic. use something that is just iron .