Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 14:38   #1
BHPian

HELP - trying to restore my RD 350

Dear all

I have a 93 model LT rd (Yes 93 as it was one of the last batch of RD to be ever made)

I use it till 2002 and after that its lying in open wit out a battery till now in the basement of the building. Yes the only good thing done was that the cylinders were filled with oil. Any way got a set of new cylinders for the HT model form the us and will attache the pic of these.

I want to restore it to its original state and at the moment am planning only 2 major upgradation, one is to fit front disk breaks and the second ir the CDI ignition.

Could any give me the address and name ofthe mechanic in delhi who could retore it for me. Please do not tell me to go to Karol Bag.
gsb350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2009, 23:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

DO NOT take it to any mechanic.

If you have space downstairs - work on it right there. If you have space in your house (indoors or a spare room for example) then move the project in there. I normally do most of the rebuild myself. Any electrical work or stuff like bearings etc. - I take the parts to the mechanic, get it done right there in front of my eyes and bring it back. The RD is very simple to work on yourself.

For reboring / new piston/rings etc. there are reputable mechanics in chennai, bangalore and Mumbai. Not sure about Delhi. I send my barrels to Chennai for reboring (running 3rd oversize on the stock liner).

Do it yourself - the only way to make sure an RD doesn't get pilfered as a spare parts source...
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2009, 00:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wish you all the best mate. Its one helluva task that you are undertaking.

It seems YAMAHA is coming up with parts support for the RD and the RX. Since you stay in Delhi, why not make the trip to Faridabad and speak to the PRO or something? Might get you a lead.

The spare part prices are prohibitive. Legend goes that there are a set of RD indicators at a scrap dealer in Bangalore. Brand new ones, and last heard, he was quoting 4,000 bucks for them!
Old 8th December 2009, 15:15   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the advice, but i may not be able to do that as
1) I stay in a appartment
2) i will be in india for 4 weeks and i have a lot to do

That is the reason i was here on this site to get good feed back on mechanics or work shops which do good job. The bike is in a bad shape and needs a lot to be done.The only good thing is that i have a set of std barrels and that will be the last thing i give him as i know that pain i took to get these barrels for the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

If you have space downstairs - work on it right there. If you have space in your house (indoors or a spare room for example) then move the project in there. I normally do most of the rebuild myself. Any electrical work or stuff like bearings etc. - I take the parts to the mechanic, get it done right there in front of my eyes and bring it back. The RD is very simple to work on yourself.

For reboring / new piston/rings etc. there are reputable mechanics in chennai, bangalore and Mumbai. Not sure about Delhi. I send my barrels to Chennai for reboring (running 3rd oversize on the stock liner).

Do it yourself - the only way to make sure an RD doesn't get pilfered as a spare parts source...
Old 8th December 2009, 18:16   #5
BHPian

Ye mate i also have been hearing that yamaha are coming up with parts for RX and RD and i have been on that news for almost a year. Can not wait any more. The rubber parts like grip kick starter rubber etc are still available at Karol bagh Delhi and so are the side indicators but the quality is not as OEM but they are next to OEM.

if you know when and where( the yamaha guys) they are selling RD parts please let me know

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Wish you all the best mate. Its one helluva task that you are undertaking.

It seems YAMAHA is coming up with parts support for the RD and the RX. Since you stay in Delhi, why not make the trip to Faridabad and speak to the PRO or something? Might get you a lead.

The spare part prices are prohibitive. Legend goes that there are a set of RD indicators at a scrap dealer in Bangalore. Brand new ones, and last heard, he was quoting 4,000 bucks for them!
Old 8th December 2009, 19:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't you take a look at this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ide-rd350.html and PM Milinda for further details?
Old 14th December 2009, 18:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what SST has said.

Also there is another thread going on something similar -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-rd-350-a.html

There is some pointers for you in it.

However, Milinda's situation was/is exactly like yours and his mechanic seem to have done an excellent job by any standard that the RD 350 went from Delhi to Kolkatta like song.

But then Milin had a good biker friend who could supervise the re-build. o

"Supervision" seem to be the key here to get a good re-build.

All the best mate. Since the bike was with you for some time you her and you can get her back in shape with out much problem.

Best Regards & Ride/Drive Safe

Ram
Old 14th December 2009, 19:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

Though this is an excellent idea, it won't work for everyone, there are certain online forums with business interests who promote this line of though to suit them though, as it eliminates competition

In all fairness, there are many good workshops who do excellent jobs, but as rightly said by many, going through a known person and who knows his bearings about the bike, would be the best bet for someone, who is not mechanically inclined, as greed is everywhere.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:23   #9
BHPian

Guys

My project is almost a years delay. The last time i came to india got carried away with many things and my 350 is still lying like that. Any way posting the pic of the 350 barrels US spec.

I am having a hard time to find all the parts for the front disk break set up. I am looking for all the OE parts that came on the 350. The most difficlut part to find are the Front forks outer. That is the right hand side as that is where the disk breaks are attached. I have managed to find the front axle with the speedo drive, the front hub, the front disk and the complete break assembly. The only missing part is the fornt fork where the disk break calliper bolts on. I am giving it another try for 2 months after that i will revert it all back to the original Indian spec if i do not gat the parts.

Can any one suggest the alternative for the front disk break set up.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP - trying to restore my RD 350-dscn1504.jpg  

HELP - trying to restore my RD 350-dscn1511.jpg  

HELP - trying to restore my RD 350-dscn1512.jpg  

HELP - trying to restore my RD 350-dscn1506.jpg  

Old 25th March 2010, 16:42   #10
BHPian

You can go to a good tig welder who has worked on disc setups. He will align and tig weld on mounts.
Have you tried sourcing the fork leg from the states? i know people who have done so at some point in time. I have the normal p220 setup on my bike. Was completely DIY!
Old 25th March 2010, 16:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

PM Yusha, he has 3 RDs, and he also has a good friends circle so getting parts would not be difficult IMHO.

Pramod
Old 25th March 2010, 20:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
PM Yusha, he has 3 RDs, and he also has a good friends circle so getting parts would not be difficult IMHO.

Pramod
Thanks
Pramod i will try this also. Like i said all i need is the right hand side fork bottom.
Old 26th March 2010, 09:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsb350 View Post
Thanks
Pramod i will try this also. Like i said all i need is the right hand side fork bottom.

Yusha is the guy, he also stocks parts for his bike as far as i know. may be he can help you. Maintaing 3 rds is not easy.

Pramod
Old 30th March 2010, 19:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Pramod
Thanks Pramod

I have finally decided that i am going to keep my bike stock and no modification is planned except for the CDI ignition. and secondly after seeing Dhoni's Bike i plan to restore y bike at Speedways at Noida.

Guys if any one of you have been to this place, let me know how it is

Yamaha Rajdoot RD 350 Speedwayz Noida (Delhi NCR) Sumeet Mehdiratta - Noida - Motorcycles - Scooters
Click on the link
Old 1st April 2010, 00:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsb350 View Post
Thanks Pramod

I have finally decided that i am going to keep my bike stock and no modification is planned except for the CDI ignition. and secondly after seeing Dhoni's Bike i plan to restore y bike at Speedways at Noida.

Guys if any one of you have been to this place, let me know how it is

Yamaha Rajdoot RD 350 Speedwayz Noida (Delhi NCR) Sumeet Mehdiratta - Noida - Motorcycles - Scooters
Click on the link
GSB,

Look up thr thread "Delhi Kolkota on RD 350 by Milindajp. The pictures and the reports will give you all the comfort you need about Sumeets rebuild.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks