Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2005, 11:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj beats Honda Japan in Tech ?

Spark plugs ignite rivalry

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/aug/13bajaj.htm

India's two-wheeler industry, having thrived for years on technology from the Far East - primarily Japan and South Korea - may be on the verge of returning the favour, at least to an extent.

Japan's automotive giant Honda Motor Company has expressed an intention to use two spark plugs in its motorcycles in the 100-125 cc class as a method of reducing friction in the engine.

"Honda is developing the world's top-level low-friction engine for the 100cc to 125cc class - the largest volume segment in the world. The low-friction engine achieves improved combustion efficiency by introducing two spark plugs while friction is reduced significantly. This new innovation improves fuel economy by 13 per cent," Honda's president and CEO Takeo Fukui had said in his 2005 mid-year speech recently.

The statement has found an echo in the cheers arising out of the research and development wing of Bajaj Auto, which has a technology tie-up with Honda's rival Kawasaki and claims to be the first to use two spark plugs in motorcycle engines to increase power and fuel efficiency.

When contacted, a Bajaj Auto spokesperson claimed that the twin spark plug system was introduced by Bajaj over a year back with the launch of the Pulsar DTSi and the company had applied for a patent for this technology both in India and major overseas markets.

Whether or not Honda needs to consult Bajaj on this technology and have an arrangement is likely to become clear once the technology is adopted.

An e-mail, seeking to clarify this, to Tetsuya Ikeda, manager, PR division, at Honda Motors' head office, remains unanswered.

Honda intends to apply the twin spark plug technology, along with a variable cylinder management system for motorcycles that apparently improve fuel economy by 30 per cent, to mass-market products and then expand the number of models equipped with these technologies in order to improve the environment performance of motorcycles.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 16th August 2005 at 11:15.
Old 16th August 2005, 14:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj may be the first to put this into mass-production, but it is definitely not the first to test the concept. Even a low-key company like Ideal Jawa had tried this out in the 80s on their two-stroke engines (I have a pic of this twin-spark Yezdi head stashed somewhere).....Scores of SAE papers have been written on combustion characteristics of twin-spark engines...BE/BTech-level projects have been done on this...

My point is, a company of Honda's stature would definitely have tried this on small-capacity engines before, and didnt put it into production for one or all of these reasons:

1) Cost vs. Complexity didnt work out in its favour

2) No significant change was seen in the engine's characteristics

3) There was a significant change when the plugs fired in staggered pattern (not together) but the system was too complex to use in a small-capacity engine.

Bajaj is very good at putting small improvements like this to use in marketing their products...Look at their new twin-spring shock on the Discover and CT100, and you will know what I'm talking about.

Ananth
Old 16th August 2005, 14:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
Bajaj may be the first to put this into mass-production, but it is definitely not the first to test the concept. Even a low-key company like Ideal Jawa had tried this out in the 80s on their two-stroke engines (I have a pic of this twin-spark Yezdi head stashed somewhere).....Scores of SAE papers have been written on combustion characteristics of twin-spark engines...BE/BTech-level projects have been done on this...

My point is, a company of Honda's stature would definitely have tried this on small-capacity engines before, and didnt put it into production for one or all of these reasons:

1) Cost vs. Complexity didnt work out in its favour

2) No significant change was seen in the engine's characteristics

3) There was a significant change when the plugs fired in staggered pattern (not together) but the system was too complex to use in a small-capacity engine.

Bajaj is very good at putting small improvements like this to use in marketing their products...Look at their new twin-spring shock on the Discover and CT100, and you will know what I'm talking about.

Ananth
bajaj may not be the first one to try this tech but is the first one to implement it on motocycle engines.it has been applied on car engines long ago.

but people are not ready to belive that Honda is now going to use technology first implemented by bajaj.(not reffering to anant).
Old 7th May 2006, 07:21   #4
BHPian

This thread seems useless. Everyone knows whos better.
Old 8th May 2006, 14:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy45
This thread seems useless. Everyone knows whos better.
And that will be who cowboy?
Old 8th May 2006, 18:43   #6
BANNED

ducati has twin sparks ... i thought so ..hmmmm
Old 8th May 2006, 20:42   #7
BHPian

if i am not wrong i think the classic car manufactures wockswagon were the first to use 2 spark plugs
Old 8th May 2006, 22:26   #8
BHPian

Even BMW used twin spark plugs in their bikes before Pulsar started using it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks