Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 09:53   #16
BHPian

tried using the heels y'day, and it worked like a charm. Lets see if can do it in long run. My father says that he used heel on Bull as well, and its the right way to do it .
Old 10th December 2009, 10:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
The blip is only for down shifts.
Oops, Thanks GreaseMonk, I should have specified that in my original post. I was writing out my experience.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Cheers
Old 10th December 2009, 12:55   #18
BHPian

Shashank : After reading the manual ( RE + pete snidal ) i found out that in STD 350 : after about 2kms, you can add about 220ml of Gear OIl in it, it makes the solution inside good and stable and the gears go very easy. I tried it myself, loving it till date & there are no leaks or stuff.

the solution is call is ( kichad ) atleast looks like it
Old 10th December 2009, 13:00   #19
BHPian

@ Shan - was in 2km or 2k km ? and where can we add gear oil ?
Old 10th December 2009, 18:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
@ Shan - was in 2km or 2k km ? and where can we add gear oil ?
Hey Shashank,

It should be 2K kms.

Also for adding the gear oil, don't add it until you feel the gears are getting hard. This practice is used to either do away with the initial hardness that one would face after the gearbox is freshly greased or if the grease is quite old & has become stiff. To add it, simply get a spanner (I think 18 number ka) & open that screw on top of the gearbox, just to the side of that nipple. Also open a screw, located towards the rear tyre on the gearbox casing itself. Then pour in about 150 ml of gear oil. Wait for the oil to come out of the opening (peeche waali).

Close both the screws & you are good to go. Ride it around, if you still find the gears hard, add another 50ml or so.

Many mechanics also simply add the normal engine oil (xW50), but avoid that. An engine oil is meant to go inside an engine, & a gear oil inside a gearbox, so stick to that. The difference would be hard to notice, but there is a difference unless you plan to get the gearbox greased up & cleaned in some miles.

@ac 47: About the heel thing to change the gears, well, I have resorted to using the heel for putting the bike into first gear, for upshifting I use the bottom of my toe part & for downshifting I use the neutral finder. Using the heel for the first gear saves my shoes as also pointed out by many & also feels better locked into place (just my opinion).

As for the gears being chipped off, don't worry about it until your gears start slipping frequently & then also no need to replace the entire set. You can get it in working condition in about 150 bucks including labour.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
Old 10th December 2009, 19:02   #21
BHPian

Thanks Blackfire.

Well downshifting with neutral finder , I tried that, but does not get any feel of how many gears you move in that. Mine is too smooth.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Thanks Blackfire.

Well downshifting with neutral finder , I tried that, but does not get any feel of how many gears you move in that. Mine is too smooth.
Hey Shashank,

Well, I would agree with that feeling. To be honest, the reason I had started using the neutral finder was because my mechanic used it & seeing him I also wanted to learn another way & so I kept using it until I got used to it

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
Old 14th December 2009, 00:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Well what to do Darth Sid!!! Aren't we all used to the "tantrums" of our Bulls to have a lot of common opinions
These so called 'tantrums' are among the many things common between members of the Enfield community.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:59   #24
BHPian

thanks blackfire for explaining ! its 2k kms , well, after adding the Oil my Gears are awesomely smooth and no misclicks now. Everything is gud.
Another thing is that AFAIK neutral finder should not be used to downshift, but i could be wrong :(
Old 14th December 2009, 20:50   #25
BHPian

A late question, but I am trying to understand how you guys shift using heel on a STD 350. Did you install a different lever for heel shifting ?

When you move from 1st to 2,3,4 do you actually take the leg off the foot peg and apply heel pressure on the lever ?
And how do you shift from 4-3-2 with heel ?
If this is done by taking the foot off the peg, how is it a better way of shifting ?

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 14th December 2009 at 20:51.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:58   #26
BHPian

I hope everyone who rides a 350 or a 500 with a 4 speed right side gearshift knows this. It is always advisable to use the neutral finder when you are down shifting and when the speed is somewhere near 20 kmph. If not you are getting things go really bad in the gearbox.

Also the 4 speed transmission that comes with the STD350, Electra 4 Speed and 500 Standard comes factory filled with a mix of oil and grease in the gearbox.
Old 15th December 2009, 18:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_carLover View Post
Is it "ONLY" during heel change?

Neverthless, I think it is the gear oil. Bull engine / gear box does experience a lot of heat and it starts wearing out pretty fast. Traffic chaos adds up for frequent changes of gear too.

I would suggest a
1) quick gear box oil change
2) Do what people call as a "blip" (If my memory is correct). A very short rev and a gear shift. Gear shift should be instantaneous "after" the rev. Comes nice with a little bit of practice. Do not rev high, just a quick rev.

Hope that helps

Cheers
yes its only during the heel change
Old 15th December 2009, 21:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
I hope everyone who rides a 350 or a 500 with a 4 speed right side gearshift knows this. It is always advisable to use the neutral finder when you are down shifting and when the speed is somewhere near 20 kmph. If not you are getting things go really bad in the gearbox.
Could you clarify this? Should ALL downshifts be done using the neutral finder or only when down shifting near 20 kmph? What about downshifts at higher speeds?
Old 16th December 2009, 12:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Could you clarify this? Should ALL downshifts be done using the neutral finder or only when down shifting near 20 kmph? What about downshifts at higher speeds?
nopes all downshifts happen normally, except for when shifting to get the neutral gear. and i use the neutral finder, only when i am in 2 + gears.

cheers,
ac
Old 16th December 2009, 13:37   #30
BHPian

@ GreaseMonk

Sorry for getting you confused. Well here is what I meant. Let me explain what I do with an example. I dont know whether what I do is right or wrong, but I never had a single problem since I started following this.

Imagine you are riding at 70km/hr and you want to stop but you got a good 500 meters or 600 meters ahead.

half way down you shift to 3rd use the engine braking to slow you down to 30km/hr and then as you reach where you want to stop you tip it to 2nd now you are at 20km/hr

Now this is a good time to use the neutral finder, bring it to neutral and then hit the brakes to stop.

i hope this helps you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks