Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 12:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bullet 350 - Gear changing issues

Dear Bulleteers,

I am facing a very unique issue on my bullet. Since the time i have started using my heels to change the gears, the gear **** has become very knotchy.

Has anyone faced a similar issue on their bulls ?

cheers,
ac
Old 7th December 2009, 13:11   #2
BHPian

Time for a gearbox oil change. Or else, there is a little thing inside your gear box called the "Gear Flanger" well this is what my mechanic told me. You will have to either adjust that or replace that.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:05   #3
BHPian

Bullet 350 ? Its a 4 gear box. Cannot change by heal. No Gear Oil goes in it.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
i did not get this one shashank...you telling its not possible to change gears by heels ?
Old 7th December 2009, 16:27   #5
BHPian

Heel-shifting on a std 350 sounds like too much trouble to me. The lever on my bike is hard to budge if I try to move it upwards with the back of my heel! So I use my toe for that and reserve my heel exclusively for the neutral finder. Of course, if your bike is going into second or first gear when you stomp on the neutral finder the lever needs adjusting.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Agree with edsel. Give it a few more days and then check. If you are used to shifting with toes and then try shifting with heels, it does feel hard. The degree of flex in your heel is way less. BTW, any reason why step down the ladder? Most people use heel first and then realize toe is way better!
Old 7th December 2009, 17:00   #7
BHPian

lol, it's also considered a tashann to change by heel. But the prominent aspect is that my shoes get spoiled when changing gears with toes. So I enjoy the mix of both the reasons.
Old 8th December 2009, 16:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

thats true Gurpartap. same here i used the Neutral Finder for shifting down and the tow to shift up. Heal is more Yamaka Stuff.

Just get the Gear box cleaned and get it greased up again properly with the proper mixture of what ever your mechanic recommends.

Take care
Keep Thumping
DEsi
Old 8th December 2009, 17:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
???? We are talking about the motorcycle mate !! I use only my right foot heel to change gears. What do you use?

Well, I wrote upto this as an immediate reaction. But now that I have cooled down a bit I realise that Shashank must belong to the new generation and by "using heel" to change gear he means tapping it down with the heel, like people do with Hero Honda etc.
Well Shashank, some of us use our heels as a hook to pull up the gear shift lever. Essentially we pull it up with our achilles heel part (the back of the heel). And then tap it down with the portion of the foot under the toes.
I am sorry about my initial outburst.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 8th December 2009 at 17:13.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
BTW, any reason why step down the ladder? Most people use heel first and then realize toe is way better!
Way OT, but have to - Nilesh I did the exact opposite . I used my toes at first, then after repairing n-pairs of formal shoes, I started changing gears with my heels. Reaction time goes up by a few seconds when using the heels, but I do not need to change office shoes that frequently now!

As for ac 47's problem it could be either-
1) You are getting used to using the heel rather than the toe. You can "feel" the gears much better using the toes as it has far more dexterity than the heel

2) You gear-box needs cleaning and lubrication

3) The gear(s) (the toothed wheels) might have worn out or chipped an edge.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:55   #11
BHPian

@ Sudipto - Its fine. I never though of using heel to downshift. I tried it today, felt weird. Will practice more

And still, Ron mentioned Gear oil change, the gear oil is only used in 5 speed gearboxes, and hence the confusion with heel.
Old 9th December 2009, 00:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Way OT, but have to - Nilesh I did the exact opposite . I used my toes at first, then after repairing n-pairs of formal shoes, I started changing gears with my heels. Reaction time goes up by a few seconds when using the heels, but I do not need to change office shoes that frequently now!

As for ac 47's problem it could be either-
1) You are getting used to using the heel rather than the toe. You can "feel" the gears much better using the toes as it has far more dexterity than the heel

2) You gear-box needs cleaning and lubrication

3) The gear(s) (the toothed wheels) might have worn out or chipped an edge.
Well, I can't say anything now, can I? Gooney, you said all that I was planning to. Remarkable coincidence!
Indeed, heel is the way to go with formal shoes and yes, this way of shifting really makes riding in dense slow moving traffic a pain.
Shifting with the heel can also make the gearbox itself clumsy because one can't feel the gears and shift accurately. With such low precision construction (not design) of the Bullet's gearbox you really have to feel and guide gears into place.
Sorry if my post is redundant.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:14   #13
BHPian

Well what to do Darth Sid!!! Aren't we all used to the "tantrums" of our Bulls to have a lot of common opinions
Old 9th December 2009, 11:55   #14
BHPian

Is it "ONLY" during heel change?

Neverthless, I think it is the gear oil. Bull engine / gear box does experience a lot of heat and it starts wearing out pretty fast. Traffic chaos adds up for frequent changes of gear too.

I would suggest a
1) quick gear box oil change
2) Do what people call as a "blip" (If my memory is correct). A very short rev and a gear shift. Gear shift should be instantaneous "after" the rev. Comes nice with a little bit of practice. Do not rev high, just a quick rev.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Old 9th December 2009, 14:45   #15
BHPian

The blip is only for down shifts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks