Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 20:19   #151
BHPian

RECL350,

You have a decent toolkit there useful in case of a Tyre puncture. But Have you ever used it in a real life situation? I mean remove the tyre, pluck out the tube using those crude instrumets, find the puncture, seal it, push it back, inflate it etc etc. Now I feel its better to push the 182kg. Anyway the toolkit gives oneself a confidence- just in case.
Old 30th January 2010, 22:24   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
RECL350,

You have a decent toolkit there useful in case of a Tyre puncture. But Have you ever used it in a real life situation? I mean remove the tyre, pluck out the tube using those crude instrumets, find the puncture, seal it, push it back, inflate it etc etc. Now I feel its better to push the 182kg. Anyway the toolkit gives oneself a confidence- just in case.
Crude instruments? Are you serious?

Cheers,

Jay
Old 31st January 2010, 11:21   #153
BHPian

@RECL350: i see no tyre valve remover, not required?

why 'push' when one can roll it along in first gear.
However good tools be, pulling a tyre off rim is tough one. those tyre irons does look crude ie., good enough to cause more cuts on tube at hands of a novice. May have to carry a spare tube too. Tube repair-inflate canister is a simpler one though of limit use.
Old 31st January 2010, 13:36   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
@RECL350: i see no tyre valve remover, not required?

why 'push' when one can roll it along in first gear.
However good tools be, pulling a tyre off rim is tough one. those tyre irons does look crude ie., good enough to cause more cuts on tube at hands of a novice. May have to carry a spare tube too. Tube repair-inflate canister is a simpler one though of limit use.
Yes slightest pinch of the tube by lever can cause more damage. No need for one to be trained, just be careful and remember there is a tube inside.
Back in school days I observed several times how they do it and used screw driver and pinched the bicycle tube in the process. Then i made levers from bicycle axle using heat and beat method . Now also we own 2 bicycles(Merida sub 20 and Trek 3700). I still do most of the repair at home.
These levers are very useful and are specifically designed for puncture repair and are available in any tools shop. On long rides, outside city limits I have used them 2 times on Bajaj Caliber. Not at all a tough job. It is hard to find help in remote locations, in the night or even in early morning hours.

And yes valve remover and spare tube always help.
Old 31st January 2010, 13:39   #155
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice kit there.

I guess I'll move around with it whenever I go out of the city.

@Rennjit

And end up with a fried clutch plate?!

Old 31st January 2010, 14:15   #156
BHPian

Irrespectve of whatever type of sophisticated instruments available in the market for puncture repair,one has to literally wrestle with the tyre to take the tube out and put it back in especially for a first timer.
Imagine urself being stranded on a highway with the sun burning down on you and the woes of fixing a punctured tube.
the two things that will be going theuthe mind of that person either drag the bike till he finds a puncture repair shop or fix it myself.
effort & time for both the scenarios = same
Old 1st February 2010, 09:43   #157
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for CL 350 owners, with an upswept exhaust on their Bulls, in Delhi.

Anyone here or anyone know anyone in Delhi?
Old 1st February 2010, 10:12   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
effort & time for both the scenarios = same
Not really. The key is practise before you ride.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:24   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECL350 View Post
... Back in school days I observed several times how they do it and .. On long rides, outside city limits I have used them 2 times on Bajaj Caliber. Not at all a tough job. ..
Ah., then you are a master. Do you take the wheel out of bike to fix puncture? I've known a chap having two tubes inside same tyre of his Rx100, two valves one opposite another & both filled its share of air. Don't know if it had any handling issues etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
.. @Rennjit, And end up with a fried clutch plate?!
No frying & grilling ! these bikes roll smooth in 1st gear, no slipping clutch, keep engine just above idle, throttle control for limiting speed. its just that most of us are not aware of low rpm rolling capabilities.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:59   #160
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... Any tips on how to get it right?

PS: RE seems pretty hyper about getting it right with the Classic. I called up Mr. Jagdish Sharma, the regional service manager, about the incomplete toolkit. He told me that a company representative will come to my place and deliver the toolkit in person. Would be glad if they actually do it!
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:55   #161
Senior - BHPian

They will do it if he said so but may need a reminder. I told you to get in touch with them earlier, thats the only way you could have got it

RE does listen to its customer and I hope they learn and improve more.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:36   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I am looking for CL 350 owners, with an upswept exhaust on their Bulls, in Delhi.

Anyone here or anyone know anyone in Delhi?
How much has it run now ?
After 3000 kms my bike's thump is more clear now, may be because of reduced engine noise. We are the first few CL350 owners, I do not think we may find someone with upswept exhaust fitted to CL350. Everybody would wait for the run-in period to be over. I was just wondering what if we could do a small experiment. How about using friends' short bottle(or similar) exhaust and check the thump and performance. I heard from RE spares shop person that CL350 bend pipe is compatible unlike CL500.
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:50   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECL350 View Post
How much has it run now ?
After 3000 kms my bike's thump is more clear now, may be because of reduced engine noise. We are the first few CL350 owners, I do not think we may find someone with upswept exhaust fitted to CL350. Everybody would wait for the run-in period to be over. I was just wondering what if we could do a small experiment. How about using friends' short bottle(or similar) exhaust and check the thump and performance. I heard from RE spares shop person that CL350 bend pipe is compatible unlike CL500.

Hmmm it'd make a lot of sense. I have barely run 800 kms (thanks to my absence from Delhi).

I guess 2000 kms is the point where I would look to change to the upswept.

I have a feeling I won't get what I want from the upswept. I want a bass-ier note and not a louder one.
Old 8th February 2010, 21:01   #164
BHPian

@EssYouWee, I visited RE showroom today (nagging them on my booking). Found a CL 350 silver color looks gorgeous. The stock silencer looks tooo long and projects well out of the rear tyre. Have you had any trouble with the lengthy Silencer- like hitting the pavement or scraping over humps etc? The mechanic there suggested to replace it with the bent one since the bent one gives better 'sound' according to him. Do you feel that will effect the performance?(I mean power + mileage)?

I am ok with the 'sound' of the stock exhaust- my only worry is its length.

Last edited by stnair : 8th February 2010 at 21:04. Reason: Add more data to explain my query
Old 9th February 2010, 00:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

The length hasn't been a problem till now.

In fact it gives me more chrome to shine!

The upswept is something that almost all Classic owners are contemplating. I am guessing it is free-r flowing and will impact the power a bit. All said and done, avoid it during the run-in period.

Tell the mechanic to run it slightly rich. Get it back to normal on the first service...

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks