Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 05:37   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
The length hasn't been a problem till now.
The upswept is something that almost all Classic owners are contemplating. I am guessing it is free-r flowing and will impact the power a bit. All said and done, avoid it during the run-in period.
Guys pleas don't mind am not hijacking the thread here just got a query in mind so posting.

Can we replace the exhaust of Thunderbird AVL with the upswept exhaust?
Has anyone done that or seen and if it gives better sound. Right now I've a short boottle on my TB right from showroom purchase I got it changed. It sounds good but just curious if I can replace it with upswept on TB and if it would sound better.
Old 13th February 2010, 22:57   #167
BHPian

@essyouwe-well i dont have much knowledge about REs but I found that yesterday your exhaust was sounding better than previous time,guess its improving with mileage.
Old 13th February 2010, 23:40   #168
BHPian

Hey Guys, I booked the RE Classic 350 and then I find all the reviews, Roadtests, bouquets, awards, testdrives, praises etc etc in the print as well as online media is about RE Classic 500 only. I mean there is not a single test or review about CL 350 except the ownership experience posted in Team BHP by EssYouWee (which is very nice by the way).

I am in a dilemma now- Everyone says CL 500 is fantastic, Dream machine, Bike of the year etc, but what about CL 350? Someone please assure me I didnt make a mistake in booking CL 350.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:26   #169
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys.

I have a bit of a problem.

My front wheel does not have free play. The brake calipers seem to be touching it.

I can a bit of wearing off from the outside. But have no idea how much the damage already is.

I called up Shatanu and we went through a number of checks. I cleaned the disk with whiskey and water, wiped it clean with a dry cloth. Pulled the brake level very hard. Drove the bike and pulled the brake lever very hard.
But none of that seems to have helped.

It hasn't been a good day for the Bull. I discovered the right front shock was scrapping against the mudguard, just like another case showcased here.

I am certain this is a new development as I wash my bike thoroughly every second day.

Please guide me with regards to the brake problem. I am worried that the calipers would have totally worn out by now.

I was such an ***! I should have checked for it a long time back. Argh! I am so pissed off right now.

It has been running like a dream till now.

Since yesterday, I have noticed a strange clatter from the engine as well. It goes away after 30 mins of riding.

The exhaust note which had been only improving till now has taken a hit.
It had developed a proper beat, something that was a 30-40% improvement over what I had when I bought my Bull.

Now it has a very flat tone. There is no bass at all. Absolutely none! It sounds like someone is beating a crash cymbal.

Thanks for going through my tantrum-ous post.

I have a lot of new pics. Will upload them in a separate post.

Regards
EssYouWe
Old 15th February 2010, 17:45   #170
BHPian

CL 500 - new

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Hey Guys, I booked the RE Classic 350 and then I find all the reviews, Roadtests, bouquets, awards, testdrives, praises etc etc in the print as well as online media is about RE Classic 500 only. I mean there is not a single test or review about CL 350 except the ownership experience posted in Team BHP by EssYouWee (which is very nice by the way).

I am in a dilemma now- Everyone says CL 500 is fantastic, Dream machine, Bike of the year etc, but what about CL 350? Someone please assure me I didnt make a mistake in booking CL 350.
why not go for Classic 500? though price varies but when you are spending 1lac+ for the Classic 350 why not stretch a little more for 500.

and about reviews : Classic 350 has the same engine as that of Thunderbird. Hence not many people might be speaking about it.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:49   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
My front wheel does not have free play. The brake calipers seem to be touching it. ...I am worried that the calipers would have totally worn out by now.
I am guessing the rotor (disc) is not bent. A bit of swishing will not harm. Take the FR wheel off the ground by pulling the handle/forks up and rotate the wheel- feel any resistance? If not, you are OK.

-BJ
Old 15th February 2010, 17:54   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I am guessing the rotor (disc) is not bent. A bit of swishing will not harm. Take the FR wheel off the ground by pulling the handle/forks up and rotate the wheel- feel any resistance? If not, you are OK.

-BJ
That is the problem.

When I do that, as in push the wheel along... there is slight rustling sound and it stops rotating. The calipers seem to be touching it.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:09   #173
Senior - BHPian

Pics!

Posting some pics.

Spent 4 hours cleaning and polishing the Bull with a fellow t-bhpian (mustang89) today.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0398.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0422.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0419.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0421.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0425.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0431.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0433.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0434.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0440.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0437.jpg  

Old 15th February 2010, 19:20   #174
BHPian

ss
Quote:
I think the CL350 is the better buy (for the money). It has the tested (on the TBTS) UCE 350 engine and is unlikely to cause you any trouble.

On the other hand, while everyone raves about the ride on the CL500, RE really seems to have some problems with the EFI system they have put together for the Indian market. Was speaking to a RE certified mechanic the other day. He said all the CL500s he has seen seem to be giving around 25kmpl. This is really low, give that the CI 500 LBs give 30+. It is even possible that problems with the EFI is the ultimate cause of the low production rate of CL500, where the delivery dates seem to keep on extending indefinitely. Just guessing.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 15th February 2010 at 19:23.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:26   #175
BHPian

@Essyouwe, caliper binding- is mostly solved by cleanup-lubing of caliper pins / by caliper overhaul. Push caliper assy left-right & see if you can get the disc spin w/o rubbing. Also see if Master cylinder piston is fully retracting- check free play after brake release. Disc wont get bent unless it has had a pretty good impact or its run with pads so tight for a heat warp.

Last edited by Rennjit : 15th February 2010 at 19:28.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:23   #176
BHPian

the jolly atmosphere ended on a sad note.anyways keep on informing me about the developments.well i am not sure but the kinda noise coming from your engine,i felt it was knock.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:25   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
ss

I think the CL350 is the better buy (for the money). It has the tested (on the TBTS) UCE 350 engine and is unlikely to cause you any trouble.

On the other hand, while everyone raves about the ride on the CL500, RE really seems to have some problems with the EFI system they have put together for the Indian market. Was speaking to a RE certified mechanic the other day. He said all the CL500s he has seen seem to be giving around 25kmpl. This is really low, give that the CI 500 LBs give 30+. It is even possible that problems with the EFI is the ultimate cause of the low production rate of CL500, where the delivery dates seem to keep on extending indefinitely. Just guessing.
Thanks for raising my confidence. But I have a different issue to raise: Zigwheels January 2010 has a review on RE CL 500 by Adil Jal Darukhanawala (previously Overdrive fame) who certifies a Fuel efficiency of 40.78 kmpl ! The onroad tests returned 38.8kmpl for city rides and 46.48 on highways ! Unbelievable for such a big machine.
Old 15th February 2010, 22:50   #178
BHPian

stnair,
Adil Jal D is the same guy who said 'the Pulsar runs rings around its competition" and so on and so forth in Jan 02. So, take it with a pinch of salt.
Disclaimer: I am a Pulsar owner! And Yes, I have ridden all the iterations till now. No offense meant :P
Old 15th February 2010, 23:19   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for raising my confidence. But I have a different issue to raise: Zigwheels January 2010 has a review on RE CL 500 by Adil Jal Darukhanawala (previously Overdrive fame) who certifies a Fuel efficiency of 40.78 kmpl ! The onroad tests returned 38.8kmpl for city rides and 46.48 on highways ! Unbelievable for such a big machine.
That is indeed fantastic, if it is true. If I recall, RE itself claimed no more that 33kmpl (80mpg) for CL500s sold abroad. It is doubtful if the Indian version (with cost-cutting substitutes) would fare better that the original. Can any the CL 500 owners on this forum confirm that from their personal experience with their own machines?
Old 15th February 2010, 23:27   #180
Senior - BHPian

@Rollin

Refer to Randhawa's thread for his figures. If my memory serves me well... I think it was 35 kmpl when he bought the bike, but it dropped down to 25 kmpl in the cold winters.

My 350 continues to give me figures in the mid 40s.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks