Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 09:27   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@RECL350- As per RE official unofficially told me that every 10 fuel tank made, one turns out faulty. I have the same problem and waiting for a new tank. Usually dealer will tell you that they will change it with a new one but in reality they fix it with m-seal and spray paint over the joint. I have seen one tank been done like that of a C5 whose owner was a German and totally unaware of repairs carried out.

Tank is around 6K and your dealer will try every excuse to repair it rather then get you a new one. Make sure you don't get it repaired. Do get in touch with your local RE engineer and Regional Service Manager and e-mail RE as well. It will take three weeks for the tank to arrive unless you can take up this matter with RE and request them to take it as urgent and then you can expect it within a week.
in my opinion no need to get scared about the above scenario. because i dont see any reason to leave your bike at the service center and wait for the tank to arrive and fearing your tank being secretly repaired. normally, once its confirmed that the tank needs replacement, the dealer will place an order and when the tank arrives they call you and you can go and swap it. so no worries of a repaired or repainted tank. besides as far as i know a dealer cannot claim reimbursement from company for repair and painting of a faulty tank under warranty. replacement is the easier way both for the dealer and the customer.

and lets not assume that all dealers use m-seal to repair tanks under warranty. wonder why that dealer you mention was secretly repairing the tank since its the company that bears the replacement cost of 6k and not the dealer.

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 17th April 2010 at 09:32.
Old 17th April 2010, 19:02   #272
Senior - BHPian

One of the simple reason a dealer does not like to make warranty claims is because of the cumbersome process of a warranty claim although the dealer does not have to do much but he ends up paying the courier charges if the parts are not sent through normal delivery which is 2-3 weeks.

No one wants to wait for ages for parts neither a owner would like to ride along with a leaky tank. So one tends to pester his dealer to get things done quickly, secondly the shortage of parts and pathetic name sake quality check done before packing is a nightmare.

I have got few new body parts(inc mudguard, tank) and had to order the same again and wait for over a month due to damaged parts packed before packing. Loads of other small parts ordered and on delivery they were the wrong parts with right part no. Its really frustrating the way RE deals with parts section.
Old 17th April 2010, 19:15   #273
BHPian

Update: I took it to RE Brand Showroom's service center on Bannerghatta road. Petrol is leaking through threads of the bolt. Service manager said its because of weak threads and asked one of his mechanic to use thread seal tape. After the work mechanic said it wont leak now, its fixed . Why do they expect us to live with a sealant tape, its not my bathroom tap that is leaking . I was very much sure tape can't fix it, I was in no mood for argument; came back home for today's IPL match on the way filled 4ltr petrol Observed it for 7 hours now, every hour a drop of petrol is formed on the bolt head . Now I am planning to go back to him again on Monday and ask for a replacement.
Old 17th April 2010, 19:38   #274
Senior - BHPian

Its their service attitude that winds me up man, they act like if they have done us a favor by selling the bike. I have not seen how the fuel T is attached to the tank. Can you post a picture of your leaky T?
Old 17th April 2010, 22:06   #275
BHPian

@Jay : Wont kerosene damage the o rings in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECL350 View Post
One day I had filled 10ltr petrol and after a week when i removed the body cover noticed lot of petrol spilled all over the engine, petrol tap was leaking. Its happening from day one but I never noticed...... hope its not the case with your bikes, check once.
I too had (and having) the same problem. On the 2nd day petrol started to leak,from near the allen screw connecting the tank to the regulator, had it tightened and seemed to have stopped. When i checked it yesterday, noticed the regulator assembly was dirty, obviously its been leaking again . Also there seems to be a leakage from the clutch case, and from the kicker(im sure its not the chain lube as this only off late). Will be giving it for the 1st service on monday, and hope to get all fixed.

Last edited by Dhruva : 17th April 2010 at 22:09.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:44   #276
BHPian

@Randhawa: Pictures attached.
@Dhruva: It goes undetected if the bike is not covered since petrol evaporates immediately once comes out. Check if the washers are wet and smell petrol.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-101_14641.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-101_1465.jpg  

Old 18th April 2010, 13:06   #277
BHPian

That tap is not there on the 500...or is it?
Old 18th April 2010, 15:01   #278
BHPian

@RECL350 : Same thing exactly, but on the left screw, leak is positive.
The regulator on the new bikes are different.

Last edited by Dhruva : 18th April 2010 at 15:03.
Old 18th April 2010, 15:05   #279
Senior - BHPian

On C5 we have a fuel pump residing in the place of fuel T.

@RECl350- By the looks of it, it seem to be leaking from the thread but I dont think it goes that far inside the tank. I'll have a look at the inside design if I can get hold of a CL35 at the workshop.
Old 18th April 2010, 20:32   #280
Senior - BHPian

The solutions to thread leaks are teflon tape to seal, re-tapping the thread and going oversize(which isn't an option in this case) or replace the part(s) in question. Unsurprisingly, the dealer has chosen the cheapest/reasonably effective way to fix stuff.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 18th April 2010, 20:36   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruva View Post
@Jay : Wont kerosene damage the o rings in the long run?
It won't do much harm as you will be lubing it with chain spray. Also, the chain's on bullets is about 20,000 Kms after which something(the two sprockets or chain) will require replacement. This is much before the kerosene can do any significant damage as you are exposing your chain's o-rings to kerosene for a very short time.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 19th April 2010, 14:10   #282
BHPian

Update: Took it back to RE Brand Showroom's service center on Bannerghatta road, this time mechanic opened the tap assembly and brushed adhesive all over the parts(like we fix water pipes), including bolts, and fixed it back. I have filled more than 6ltrs of petrol now and its been 4 hours; no visible leak, even there is no petrol smell in that area, looks like issue is fixed. I have to wait and see.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:44   #283

@RECL350: The fuel tap is a lot different in your Classic than what is there in the new Electra and Thunderbird. Mine is of screw type. Will post pic soon. I have my self tightened the screws of both the fuel tap and the tank cap. Hope the issue is fixed.

BTW another issue I have started to notice since yesterday (after 1500 on the ODO) is misfiring from the engine. I have no idea what the reason behind it is. I opened the spark plugs and they seem to be fine. How ever I saw green copper oxidation in the wire connecting the plugs. Water may have gone in while I was driving in rain for 3 consecutive days.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:21   #284
BHPian

Self Start Stopped Working

Now the self start stopped working . I was very proud till now, whoever asked I always replied 'fantastic bike, no problems at all'. After facing so many problems for a brand new bike[fork sleeve rubbing, primary drive chain noise, leaking tank and now this self start], I understand after-all this is a RE product. It stopped working after last sunday's wash; all electricals are fine except self start. Checked connecting wires none are loose; ammeter slightly deflects to left when self start is pressed, I guess current is passing through. I have to take it to service center for the 3rd service after a 1000kms anyway, but would like to know if it is some known issue and if there is a fix. Usually bike is parked for whole week and is taken out only on weekends, does the starter take more current ? Could it because of drained battery ?
Old 20th April 2010, 17:31   #285
BHPian

hey bro!i own a cl500 & have faced no problem as of yet.but looking at the the trouble your bike is giving i have my own doubts on the relaiability of the bike.should we blame the demand of the bike because of which proper pdi is not done at factory level???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECL350 View Post
Now the self start stopped working . I was very proud till now, whoever asked I always replied 'fantastic bike, no problems at all'. After facing so many problems for a brand new bike[fork sleeve rubbing, primary drive chain noise, leaking tank and now this self start], I understand after-all this is a RE product. It stopped working after last sunday's wash; all electricals are fine except self start. Checked connecting wires none are loose; ammeter slightly deflects to left when self start is pressed, I guess current is passing through. I have to take it to service center for the 3rd service after a 1000kms anyway, but would like to know if it is some known issue and if there is a fix. Usually bike is parked for whole week and is taken out only on weekends, does the starter take more current ? Could it because of drained battery ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks