Team-BHP - RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/71070-re-classic-350-initial-ownership-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1625055)

A lot of people would be dismayed to know this: The seat is uncomfortable for long rides. You bum starts cursing you 45 mins into the ride.

Now suddenly the Electra seat has started making sense.

Any suggestions on improving the comfort of the seat?

It also heats up pretty quick when stationary. So, I have made it a habit of going off if the wait > 30-35 secs.

Enjoy the bike, but ride safe!
You are another to crib about the seat, the only option is to go to the one piece two person seat, I suspect.
Aircooled engines without fans do not like to be stationary, they need the airflow over the fins. Avoid idling like you are already doing, and this is particularly important in running in.

Quote:

Now, I am having a very weird problem. I always have used the turn indicators before turning and am doing that now as well. The problem is that I always forget to turn it off!
:Frustrati

The way I got around this is to quickly check my indicator switch whenever I glance at my mirrors. Sure, it seems a little obsessive to be checking your switch every 10-15 seconds, but grouping it with the mirror-glance is the only real way I can think of to make it a habit.

Quote:

@bblost

Will try and update the video tomorrow. The thump is disappointing, so no high hopes please!

Do not worry about thump. You can get a goldstar from sans inc. Here is orkut community link.

orkut -

Quote:

Now, I am having a very weird problem. I always have used the turn indicators before turning and am doing that now as well. The problem is that I always forget to turn it off!
:Frustrati

Get a beeper (for around Rs 40, available in any service centre). That will solve the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akas_chauhan (Post 1625384)
Do not worry about thump. You can get a goldstar from sans inc. Here is orkut community link.

orkut -

I was thinking more on the lines of the Upswept available from RE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda (Post 1625463)
Get a beeper (for around Rs 40, available in any service centre). That will solve the problem.

Would that strain the electricals? I haven't heard many good things about the wires on a RE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1625233)
Enjoy the bike, but ride safe!
You are another to crib about the seat, the only option is to go to the one piece two person seat, I suspect.
Aircooled engines without fans do not like to be stationary, they need the airflow over the fins. Avoid idling like you are already doing, and this is particularly important in running in.

That would ruin the whole look. :(

How easy is the one piece seat to remove? Is it possible to use both? The OE one for city and the Electra one for highway runs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreaseMonk (Post 1625234)
The way I got around this is to quickly check my indicator switch whenever I glance at my mirrors. Sure, it seems a little obsessive to be checking your switch every 10-15 seconds, but grouping it with the mirror-glance is the only real way I can think of to make it a habit.

I am trying to do that. Making it a habit is the only way. I better get used to it fast or I'll end up in a bad situation sooner or later.

Okay guys, I find the horn to be utterly ineffective in traffic. It sounds like its on a CT100 or something. :Frustrati

Any solutions that won't kill the bike?

I absolutely love riding it. Feels like you are in complete consonance with the bike. Absolute thrills. :D

Another query:
What are the pros and cons of changing the exhaust to the upswept one? I am looking for a note with slightly more bass.

Thanks a lot for your support guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1625646)

Okay guys, I find the horn to be utterly ineffective in traffic. It sounds like its on a CT100 or something. :Frustrati

Yes, stock horn is not good at all. You can put ROOTS horn with relay, that's what i'm using.

Quote:

Would that strain the electricals? I haven't heard many good things about the wires on a RE.

No. A beeper for the turn signal will put very little load on the electricals. I have also upgraded to a 60/55W Halonix headlight for my TBTS, but perhaps the Classic 350 already has good head lights.

Once you are comfortable on your bike, with a few hundred km done, I would strongly urge you to learn and regularly practice these two emergency measures:

1. Swerving (using counter-steering)
2. Emergency braking (using both brakes).

You have to be EXTREMELY careful while learning these. Start from low speeds and slowly work your way up to say 50 Kmph over several weeks. Never practice on a road which has traffic. Be VERY careful with the front brake (squeeze it gently as you would an orange, DONT grab) as it can lock-up the wheel (RE bikes seem to have a particular problem with this). The possibility of wheel lock-up --- and then skidding and falling --- during an emergency situation is why you need to practice emergency braking in the first place.

for more info check this: Motorcycle Safety Site ("Motorcycle tips and techniques" )

Modern electricals in Karol bagh. Its a Sardar Ji running the shop, I guess everyone in Nai wallan knows about him. Its either street no. 34 or 35.

They are very professional with fitting the horns, all other Bulls seem exploited compared to mine when it comes to wiring of horns. Would charge around rs.150 for wiring and relay, you can get horns of your choice or he stocks Bosch stuff.

Doesn't look like the Classic being sold to firangs!

Quote:

i solved this problem by snapping on a Short Bottle on my Standard. The thump is enough to move anyone out of the way..:D:D

EssYouWe, what's the gear shift pattern on the 350 and 500, is it 1 down and 4 up, or otherwise, the guy at the showroom told me all down, but I think he was wrong.

Just got back from another ride.

One thing this bullet has taught me is riding aimlessly. :D

Make no mistake I love driving a lot, but driving aimlessly is something new to me.

Okay so the update is that the seat will end up killing my bum. Have been founding a few false neutrals but the number is fast decreasing.
There are no oil leaks.
Clanging of the engine is noticeable. Hopefully, it'll subside soon.

I have been spending a lot of hours running it in properly for each gear. Now the normal city traffic is great for 1-4, but the 5th is something that finds no use in normal traffic.
So, I take the Bull out to some empty roads for the 5th. The self imposed speed limit of 50-55 has also played truant to the 5th. Currently using the rev and drop way to keep the speeds in check and still vary the rpms. I still get the feeling that I might be lugging it.

How lugging friendly are the new bullets?

People are bugging me a lot with stupid queries about the bike. "yeh itni chhoti kyun lag rahi hai" is what a guy on a Wind asked me. I told him its because he's comparing the bullet with his own bike, "Ab Wind se compare karoge toh chhoti hi lagegi".

I still hate all two-wheeler riders in Delhi. They are all accidents waiting to happen. The bullet is pretty decent to drive in traffic which does not require you to be stationary.
All else is good. Will definitely go in for the Upswept soon. Might be getting the horn etc tomorrow.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmanaman (Post 1628233)
EssYouWe, what's the gear shift pattern on the 350 and 500, is it 1 down and 4 up, or otherwise, the guy at the showroom told me all down, but I think he was wrong.

Yeah, he's wrong. 1 down and 4 up it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1630149)
One thing this bullet has taught me is riding aimlessly. :D

Make no mistake I love driving a lot, but driving aimlessly is something new to me.

I still get the feeling that I might be lugging it.

How lugging friendly are the new bullets?

The way I like to say it is that rides tend to last a lot longer than planned and one searches for the longest distance between two points!
No engine likes to be lugged, and in running in, lugging is one the worst things one can do to any engine. If in any doubt, drop down a gear is a good maxim to observe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1630157)
The way I like to say it is that rides tend to last a lot longer than planned and one searches for the longest distance between two points!
No engine likes to be lugged, and in running in, lugging is one the worst things one can do to any engine. If in any doubt, drop down a gear is a good maxim to observe.

Hehe! I always used to do that. Now I leave home just to ride. :P

5th at 50 would see the engine lugging? I do not lug it in traffic. I see no way of using the 5th below 50. Ideally I would probably not use it below 60.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1630159)

5th at 50 would see the engine lugging? I do not lug it in traffic. I see no way of using the 5th below 50. Ideally I would probably not use it below 60.

I can't say in those terms, it depends on the engine/gearing set up of the bike. But my LB 500 is just about ok at 50 in 5th, now that it has run in fully. On the other hand the 350 CI Electras are comfortable at 50/5th. By now, I am sure you can sense lugging and if that means you cannot use 5th, so be it. Save it for the open roads, or after the engine is fully run in and a lot freer, when you can play around to find out the lowest speed the bike can hold in 5th.
One thing different about the REs from modern bikes and cars is that the engines are pretty unfinished internally and careful running in is very important - and there is a huge difference in the way the engine feels after it is fully run in - and that takes up to 4000 kms, regardless of what the book says.