Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 21:25   #751
BHPian

4500km

Went for a 110 km ride today (after much pleading and bribing my better half agreed to let me go). Bullu is a breeze on highways. On a straight 0-100 competition, all 100-150cc bikewallahs pass me by. But not on highways with ups and downs and curves and slopes. The real pleasure is at uphill slopes when Bull can ride without a flinch at 70-kmph 5th gear and all others including small cars are panting out of breath and shifting down to 4..3...2.. Then its so nice to see the puny fellows going out of sight behind my a** .

Hey EssYouWee - somewhere else you said you regretted the decision to buy C350. You were my inspiration to buy the C350. Now my advice to you is instead of ogling at other people's girlfriends, take your own darling for a spin on the highways.

By the way can you please post a link to the Gurgaon meet with discussion on CI vs UCE? I cant find it.

I am a happy man today

Regards
San
Old 27th March 2011, 22:46   #752
Senior - BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Hehe! I ride ~100 kms almost every time I take my Bull out. My office is ~90 kms riding up and down. And quite a bit of it is on the Gurgaon expressway. Admittedly, I haven't hit 100 in a long time now. I need to get my Bull serviced asap. I went yesterday and the center was closed. Today, they wouldn't take my Bull as they had too many lined up.

There are always two sides to a decision, I guess.

The thread doesn't contain any discussions, the meat had many!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...830hrs-18.html
Old 28th March 2011, 11:29   #753
BHPian

@San and EssYouWe : You guys have piled up some miles and how is the engine clatter now ? (Earlier referred to as sewing machine by San). The only problem with the sound is that while riding around the city, somebody will ride in synch with you and ask why don't you get the valves adjusted ? Others say : hey man you are in trouble, you should have started the engine and checked for engine sounds before taking delivery ! Most often I smile and say "thanks for the advise, I will see to it", though some times I feel like doing the roadrash game thing !!.(Kick him into a side alley)
Regards Adrian
Old 28th March 2011, 11:51   #754
Senior - BHPian

ROFL!!! That would be over-reacting in the true sense.

Well the engine clatter is ignored by me. My helmet is awesome with insulation and adds a lot of bass to the sound. So I keep myself happy.

I remember someone telling me that the only way to hear some thump out of the UCE would be to plug an earphone playing CI's recording!
Old 28th March 2011, 13:06   #755
BHPian

@ Essyouwe : My fullface also filters off the clatter.
Another funny incident that happened to me : In a parking lot, this guy approached me and exclaimed : " Oh, so RE has started to manufacture these types of bikes as well". Then he turned to his friend and commented : "The previous versions of the bike were very costly!!." The hardest part of riding the new Bull is to answer to the queries of the people related to engine and all that ! Hope that the RTO insists on all riders wearing fullface helmets!!
I had kept a remote hope of the engine clatter subsiding after some 10,000 KMs. Any way I will prepare myself to live with the clatter as well.
Regards Adrian
Old 28th March 2011, 13:39   #756
Senior - BHPian

Well honestly it isn't that much. I only hear at the very end of my ride, when the Bull is idling while I open the gates.

But it really isn't a cause of worry, so I am not bothered by it. Wish I had some bulleteer friends around, I could ask them to get the Bull serviced if they are free. Enough day dreaming!
Old 30th March 2011, 16:59   #757
BHPian

Hey friends, I was thinking about the prospectus of tuning the BS29 carb myself and was stuck with the thought of finding out the RPM to which the machine is to be brought to initially as the bull has no tacho. For an expert mechanic, his ears would suffice, but for newbies like me, either a tachometer or as San said an I-phone with fourteir analysis is a must. Now as I can't afford an I-phone, made a thorough search of the internet for alternatives and came across this software used for aircraft engines.
RPM from Sound
Now this is a free software that runs from laps / desktops and uses sound to determine engine rpm. Hope it is useful to you guys
p.s : I am still lacking some courage to touch the carburator
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 30th March 2011 at 17:01.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:25   #758
Senior - BHPian

Hi people!

Had an update: I went and got a service done today. Nuts and bolts were screwed in, the clutch cable was re-routed (I had done a makeshift routing when I changed it myself), the chain's play was adjusted. The biggest shock was the presence of water in my fuel tank. The most probably culprit was adulterated fuel.
The fuel tank was removed and cleaned out. So was the carb and I expect the stuttering problem to go away completely. The carb was retuned, and I have already fiddled with it. :P The same for the clutch cable, God knows why they remove all play from it!

An interesting observation was when I heard my Bull being driven by someone else for the first time. Damn! it sounds good.
I thought there was no thump, but it is decent enough.

I still did not top 80 today. The bike felt strained at 80, but I guess its a matter of freeing it up a little.

Cheers!

Happy riding people.
Old 4th April 2011, 13:49   #759
BHPian

@Essyouwe : Are you sure it was adulterated fuel or water seeping in throught the tank lid when you did that heavy rain split ?

@ every one : Tired of the metal woodpecker pecking away happily in the morning (Tick tick sound of the auto decompressor) ? Try this..
I start my bike without the choke and will apply the throttle gently to keep the mill from coughing out. This sharp metallic sound of the decompressor will be persistent till warm up and if I take my hands off the throttle, the machine will cough and die. One day after starting the bike, I had to go into the house and put the machine in side stand..voila !! the autodecompressor bowed out ! and the machine was idling smoothly without coughing out ! lifted the machine to vertical state and the decompressor kicked in and the machine coughed out ! So what I do now is start the machine, gently give throttle for half a minute and put the machine in side stand. Once the machine is in the lean stance, the decompressor will be defunct and the machine will warm up idling smoothly( without the metallic sound of the decomp. The best part is that you will not have to stick to the machine during the warm up period as it will not cough out. I don't know what happens to the autodecompressor when the bike is in the lean stance in the side stand. So I want you guys to try this out and an expert opinion on what is happening is also most welcome !
These REBs....strange to understand sweethearts
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 4th April 2011 at 14:05.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:17   #760
BHPian

3rd Service 4750km

Hi Guys

3rd service completed today- 4750km and 6.5 months. Had water service, changed Oil and filter. Cost Rs 700/- Convinced them not to put that slimey stuff on the chain so I dont have to clean the dirty sh**.

Attended the minor oil leak trouble also - its the Rocker gasket as Gurus pointed out. On second thoughts, I felt its better for RE service to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@San and EssYouWe : You guys have piled up some miles and how is the engine clatter now ? (Earlier referred to as sewing machine by San). The only problem with the sound is that while riding around the city, somebody will ride in synch with you and ask why don't you get the valves adjusted ? Others say : hey man you are in trouble, you should have started the engine and checked for engine sounds before taking delivery ! Most often I smile and say "thanks for the advise, I will see to it", though some times I feel like doing the roadrash game thing !!.(Kick him into a side alley)
Regards Adrian
Sorry for the delay in reply. You see Adrian, all these problems will vanish once you complete Your running in. And that differs from person to person. For some, run in is completed within 3000km as Company say. For me it took about 4000km. It may be less for many others. Now my gear shift is butter smooth, There is only the fine Thump in my ears and no clitter or clatter and I am experiencing Biking Nirvana... I curse only myself if I accidentally encounter a false neutral as it means my clutch-foot-speed coordination was not proper. My ears can now listen and pickup the Thump which others cannot. (EssYouWee noticed that only yesterday) I hope you got my point - I said Your running in and not Bike's running in.

As for the over-curious passers by, Act as though you are from Swaziland and know only zulu language.

Quote:
@ every one : Tired of the metal woodpecker pecking away happily in the morning (Tick tick sound of the auto decompressor) ? Try this..
I start my bike without the choke and will apply the throttle gently to keep the mill from coughing out. This sharp metallic sound of the decompressor will be persistent till warm up and if I take my hands off the throttle, the machine will cough and die. One day after starting the bike, I had to go into the house and put the machine in side stand..voila !! the autodecompressor bowed out ! and the machine was idling smoothly without coughing out ! lifted the machine to vertical state and the decompressor kicked in and the machine coughed out ! So what I do now is start the machine, gently give throttle for half a minute and put the machine in side stand. Once the machine is in the lean stance, the decompressor will be defunct and the machine will warm up idling smoothly( without the metallic sound of the decomp. The best part is that you will not have to stick to the machine during the warm up period as it will not cough out. I don't know what happens to the autodecompressor when the bike is in the lean stance in the side stand. So I want you guys to try this out and an expert opinion on what is happening is also most welcome !
These REBs....strange to understand sweethearts
Regards Adrian
Morning starting without engine coughing out is an art by itself. The first one minute immediately after start is the troublesome where you have to master the throttle minutely so it doesnt over revv or shut down. Trying looking at the Ammeter also.

I dont like the idea of putting in sidestand immediately on start as it tilts the bike too much and many parts may choke on oil. The first two to three minutes after morning start is crucial to life of the Motorcycle and I dont want to upset that. But as you said, experts opinion are welcome.

regards
san
Old 4th April 2011, 20:21   #761
Senior - BHPian

Okay honestly people, whats the whole fuss of starting the Bull up in the morning?

Mine starts perfectly fine, no choking (not considering the time I spent with water in the fuel here) or anything. It always starts at the first try and I idle it for anything between 1-3 mins depending on the temperature.

2 days of extensive riding has left me with a horrible backache. Can't even sit anymore. :(
Old 5th April 2011, 13:39   #762
BHPian

@ San and Essyouwe : I think I was not able to communicate the theme to you properly. The emphasis was on warming up without the decompressor pecking along. (The tick tick metal to metal sound). Honestly I feel that something has to knock against something to give that metallic sound. Don't you guys worry about the parts starving on oil, the Bulls have forced lubrication system. I just wanted to know what makes the decompressor defunct when the bike is on the slant ?!!
Regarding the running in what San said is right As far as the Bullet is concerned two running in are required one for the machine and the other for the rider !
Regards Adrian
Old 5th April 2011, 14:58   #763
BHPian

Quote:
@ San and Essyouwe : I think I was not able to communicate the theme to you properly. The emphasis was on warming up without the decompressor pecking along. (The tick tick metal to metal sound). Honestly I feel that something has to knock against something to give that metallic sound. Don't you guys worry about the parts starving on oil, the Bulls have forced lubrication system. I just wanted to know what makes the decompressor defunct when the bike is on the slant ?!!
Regarding the running in what San said is right As far as the Bullet is concerned two running in are required one for the machine and the other for the rider !
Regards Adrian
Tick tick sound is caused by the Decompressor mechanism when engine rpm goes below a certain set limit. I think Randhawa has explained the mechanism somewhere in his forum. Something like Ratchet-pawl. Its normal and nothing to worry about. My opinion is when bike is slanted, more petrol + higher pressure on to the carburettor causing increase in rpm and thus avoiding decompressor kicking in.

The forced lubrication also requires sufficient oil in the sump. When i park on side stand, oil is completely drained from right side and small glass checking window shows empty.

regards
san
Old 6th April 2011, 13:31   #764
BHPian

@ San : Thank you buddy, for sharing your point of view. Don't worry about the oil disappearing from the oil window. Even if the bike is on the lean, there will be sufficient oil in the sump for the forced lubrication mechanism to work with.
@ Everyone : Now where have the experts of TBHP gone ? Randhawa, Naren, Bradhey, Rennjith ?? No comments to offer guys ? Looks like it is the turn of the C5 guys to be sleepy This is all the doing of Essyouwe. Couple of posts back he had replied that there are no problems associated with c3 machines and hence the low freequency of postings in the thread. The C5 guys have caught the clue and are not posting since to show that they too have no problems with their machines

When I went for the service, I talked with the territory service manager and enquired about the availability of UCE workshop manual for owners (on payment ofcourse). He replied that it is not. Why is RE keeping the thing like a rocket science manual ? or are they themselves using the Peter Snidal manual and are ashamed to admit it ??
If anybody out there posess the UCE workshop manual from RE, would you be kind enough to share it with the people of this community.. Please ?
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 6th April 2011 at 13:46.
Old 9th April 2011, 20:34   #765
BHPian

Guys

Is it possible to remove the Mudguards without removing the tyres?

@Adrian, Read Page 55 of Randhawa's 4100km review and you will get a clue to UCE Service manual.

regards
San

Most Viewed