Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 13:34   #766
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

having not much action in this thread lately, ain't we?

Anyways I'm heading for my 4th/ 9K km service next week. Any tips? something special i should take care of?

p.s.: as usual will be sacrificing a day's leave for the event. so have to make the max out of it.

p.p.s.: better half is bitter about the attention CL is getting, leaves and all....
Old 14th April 2011, 11:53   #767
BHPian

Noting much specific I did on 4th service, just asked for the oil change and battery check up. Had some issues with indicator electrical, had asked to them to get it fixed. Rest things like cleaning, greasing necessary parts etc. was done. Frankly noting much was required. This was from my side, maybe experts can suggest

P.S - Do post your service experience.

Cheers !!!
Old 14th April 2011, 21:14   #768
Senior - BHPian

Hey

Those are some miles you are pilling up! I am out of two wheeler action, my back seems to not like regularly bull rides. :( (and you wonder why I have spent Rs. 2000 on getting the bloody seat fixed!)

Sanjeet recommended that you get the fork oil replaced/topped up. Check for the chain tension as well. Have you replaced your clutch cable yet? If not, you are coming dangerously close to that day. Buy one and carry it with you at all times (if you are as psychotic as me), or just get it replaced during the service.

Rest would be general checkup they will do on their own.

Cheers!
Old 14th April 2011, 22:24   #769
BHPian

Hey Achint,
How are you bro? Hows the back? The bull seems to be fine eh!!

I am having my share of problems here.
First,the rubber pipe connecting the air filter to the air filter box burst up all over. The bike started choking. I was quick enough to get it replaced immediately. Dunno how much dirt must have been sucked in? Only time will tell.

Second, soon I'll be getting my fuel tank replaced.. for the second time. The primer inside the tank is peeling off already and gets mixed in the fuel. One of the other reasons why my bull chokes at times.

Seriously man, the quality of RE sucks big time. Nevertheless, still enjoying my bull to the hilt.

You take care and rest well my friend. Looking forward for a ride together soon.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:32   #770
Senior - BHPian

Hey

This is really disappointing stuff. Please escalate the tank issue to the area sales manager (Jagdish?).

Hope I get back to riding soon. Nowadays 5-6 am should be a good time to hit the expressway!
Old 16th April 2011, 20:08   #771
BHPian

Thank you Milestone & EssYouWe, will keep those things in mind. So far the clutch cable has held up. I dont have a spare with me. I have added it to the shopping list. I had a blown fuse and now have a spare for that (apart from the default spare).

I used to get stiff neck/ shoulder when i was using P150. After moving to bull, never had the problem. In fact even when i have some slight such pains, the ride on the bull is comfy for my one-way 1+hr drive in blore traffic. So now i'm sure that its my posture while at work thats the culprit. BUT a continuous drive of more than 2hrs on the bull is quite another story

Wish you a speedy recovery EssYouWe! I guess i can understand how it feels to be sans the bull even though you have it, paradox isnt it?

w.r.t service experience, will do share once i'm done. The appointment is for mid of next week.

Last edited by vinjosep : 16th April 2011 at 20:12.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:16   #772
BHPian

Hi guyes.. i am a proud owner of classic350. Bike has done 2100 km in first six months. Last weekend while i rode her to Murud from Mumbai ( 400 km to and fro). I took only three 15-20 min breaks throughout and had no backpain whatsoever despite riding for 13 straigh hours (including small breaks).Overall it was a wonderful experiance riding her from 6 am till 4pm.But there is one thing that i am concerned abt. On a panvel bypass road which is dead straight with no traffic, i wanted to check the maximum speed by bull could reach and i was so amused to see that she could not cross 95 km/hr. Now that bike has already done 2100 (2 services), i would expect her to reach atleast 110km/hr.. I had reached 130 km/hr on my old avenger 180cc few years back but failed to do so on my bull... I ve not come across any other running issues with my bull so far .. pls suggest what could be the reason for this.. cheers
Old 29th April 2011, 08:52   #773
BHPian

Finally the 4th service done.

In brief:
@ RE Service centre - near mico layout, b'lore
Cost: 950Rs/-
odo @ 9150km
Parts replaced: blown fuse, Engine oil & oli filter element ( both on my request)
Others: most of the stuff mentioned in the service manual was done.

Problems mentioned before the service:
1) High beam results in blown fuse
2) Slight oil leak from one of the tappet cover bolts.
3) Screeching sound from the disc brake (front)
4) Neutral indicator did not work consistently.

Scenario after the service (against above points):
#1 - headlamp assembly connector was faulty and was corrected. Both high & low beam works now without any problems. No more blown fuses.
#2 - not recitifed since there was no washers in stock (!!!). was the same situation in the last service too. But its a slight stain and hence not a show stopper.
#3 - was fine for a couple of days. The sound is back again. On the brighter side i don't need to use horns, just apply the front brakes slightly and people jump out of the way
#4 - was resolved along with #1

What seemed good:
- They take only ~22 bikes a day, and that too one needs to book in advance.
- The place is kept neat. Same goes for the customer lounge too.
- the person who serviced my bike was good. he updated me at each and every step of the service. found it nice. ( i was holed up in the customer lounge htrough out )
- Whatever was done, was done with utmost care and skill.

The not-so-good:
- not all points per the serivce manual were done. E.g.: fork oil check/ topup.
- they dont allow the customers into the service area. But then i saw quite a few making there way in. You see, i love to keep a closer watch on the proceedings. Unfortunately had to be satisfied by being behind the glass (customer lounge). Note to self: get a binocular for the next service.
- The bundle of lies the SA keeps dishing out to make his point. latest e.g.: "we require 5-6hrs to check the wiring Siirrr. So service time will be around 8hrs +" - got the whole service done and was out in less than the said time. The real reason for the comment was that there was a new lot of bikes which were pending for PDI!
- tyre pressure etc was not checked

Overall am ok with the service. I got all the major problems i was facing resolved. The rest i can live with. The bull feels better than before . A fact endorsed by the better half. Maybe it was the cleaned airfilter, oil etc.

On a side note, i found that the bull feels a bit rough when its running on reserve or nearing the reserve mark. Once i top up the fuel, its again smooth. Wonder what might be causing it. Anyone had a similar exp?

Also saw a new lot of bikes waiting PDI. The new CL500 now have dual horns,a la-pulsar, and they were very good. The new CL350s still had the old single meek-sounding horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp
Hi guyes.. i am a proud owner of classic350. Bike has done 2100 km in first six months. .......

@Abhishekjp: Like mentioned earlier elsewhere in this thread, while in the run-in period, do take the bike to a higher speed in controlled increments. e.g.: from 60 take the bike to 65kmph, hold it for a few seconds, drop back to 60, repeat the steps for 5-15 times with short gaps. After this increment the speed by another 5km/hr and repeat the steps. Proceed to a higher speed in a similar method.

Personally i have no trouble getting to 90+kmph on my daily drive. but after that its a bit of struggle, mostly because of the air resistance(guess am not so aerodynamic after all) . Bend forward/ stoop a little and its a lot easier, though am not comfy riding in that position. I have been able to take my bike above 110km/h so far. The resistance by the air is a little too terrifying at that point and hence not tried beyond that.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:10   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
Hi guyes.. i am a proud owner of classic350. Bike has done 2100 km in first six months. Last weekend while i rode her to Murud from Mumbai ( 400 km to and fro). I took only three 15-20 min breaks throughout and had no backpain whatsoever despite riding for 13 straigh hours (including small breaks).Overall it was a wonderful experiance riding her from 6 am till 4pm.But there is one thing that i am concerned abt. On a panvel bypass road which is dead straight with no traffic, i wanted to check the maximum speed by bull could reach and i was so amused to see that she could not cross 95 km/hr. Now that bike has already done 2100 (2 services), i would expect her to reach atleast 110km/hr.. I had reached 130 km/hr on my old avenger 180cc few years back but failed to do so on my bull... I ve not come across any other running issues with my bull so far .. pls suggest what could be the reason for this.. cheers
Please check your drive chain tension. It should be loose to do better top speed.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:45   #775
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks!

So I went on another long ride last week. Covered 130+ kms over a 3 hour period (6 am to 9 am). Rode through rain and strong winds, the Bull performed flawlessly. Cruised at 80 kmph, and I think my fuel average for the whole trip ranged in the late 40s or early 50s. This was interesting from the range point of view. You can go farther on a tankful than you might have thought.
Sadly, backache after the ride has kept me out of action since then. Hopefully, I will ride again soon (with a back-support belt)
Old 13th May 2011, 11:14   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Hey Achint,

First,the rubber pipe connecting the air filter to the air filter box burst up all over. The bike started choking. I was quick enough to get it replaced immediately. Dunno how much dirt must have been sucked in? Only time will tell.

Second, soon I'll be getting my fuel tank replaced.. for the second time. The primer inside the tank is peeling off already and gets mixed in the fuel. One of the other reasons why my bull chokes at times.

Seriously man, the quality of RE sucks big time. Nevertheless, still enjoying my bull to the hilt.

You take care and rest well my friend. Looking forward for a ride together soon.
How did you find out that the primer inside the tank is peeling off?
Old 13th May 2011, 11:19   #777
Senior - BHPian

^
His Bull had been choking, on tracing the fuel flow the mechs might have found primer bits in the carb.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:47   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Hey Achint,

Hello Saran - I also faced the same issue with my bull sometime back. Especially, the surface near the filler gives way easily. I never had this issue even on my 10 year old HH Splendor.

I guess rather than relying on the shoddy job done by RE folks, we should get epoxy on our tanks from a good mech to avoid these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey folks!

So I went on another long ride last week. Covered 130+ kms over a 3 hour period (6 am to 9 am). Rode through rain and strong winds, the Bull performed flawlessly. Cruised at 80 kmph, and I think my fuel average for the whole trip ranged in the late 40s or early 50s. This was interesting from the range point of view. You can go farther on a tankful than you might have thought.
Sadly, backache after the ride has kept me out of action since then. Hopefully, I will ride again soon (with a back-support belt)
Good to hear that you back on the saddle despite of issues with your back. The bull does fairly well on highway and long journeys. And that includes FE as well as heating issues. During my Belgaum-Mumbai ride last year, I have ridden the bike for 12+ hours with a break after every 100 kms for a smoke or a leak but the bike kept doing better with every passing mile. Luckily, I never faced any pains except for the fact that I actually forgot I had something called BUTT after the long ride. But the best part is, there was no fatigue whatsoever from the journey and I resumed work the very next morning.

I had noticed that, even after a two hour ride on the highway the bike never got a heated up as compared to the furnace like feeling after a 2-3km (10 minute) ride in city traffic -- The city traffic I am talking about is Saki Naka in Mumbai.

This baby is made for the open roads, she just loves them.

Last edited by mantrig : 13th May 2011 at 15:51.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:18   #779
BHPian

Hey Abeer

As Achint said the primer at times used to clog the fuel pipes and while draining the fuel it used to come out. And yes it was also red in colour.

Hey Mantig

I hear you bro. The quality of RE sucks. Even my HH Splendor+ is actually "super splendor" in terms of these quality issues. What an irony!!

I got the fuel tank cleaned. If it again creates a problem then I'll raise hell on these folks.

Hey Achint,
Sad to hear about your backache man. Rest wisely my friend. As I am free now lets have a ride soon (in the morning of course)
Old 13th May 2011, 19:33   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey folks!

Wow- FE touching 50 ?? Mine never crossed 40 ! Which brand do you use- Indian oil, HP, Reliance??

regards
san

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks