Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 19:54   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

HP and filled normal petrol at that! Must point out that for around 40-50 kms I was riding at a constant 80 kmph.

The backache is recurrent, my back really does not like the Classic seat. :P

I will be moving to Lucknow for studies in June, hopefully my back will be up and running for the 450 km ride!

@San
Hows your ride going mate?

@Big Saran
I wish RE would do better on quality control. All these small issues just ruin the whole ownership experience. I am kind of thankful that I have been, by and large, spared of major niggles!
Old 19th May 2011, 18:17   #782
BHPian

@EssYouWe: I wanted your opinion: I have booked CL350 in April 11 and was contemplating changing onto CL500. Since you have been through the experiance of 350, I think u would probably be the most apt person along with randhawa and nasirkaka(who already replied to my question in an another forum) to help me out.

My daily office run is only approx 7-8km to and fro, thanks to which I will have time to maintain the motorcycle and also take her out for longer rides. I live in bombay and would probably be doing a lot more city riding then highways. But I plan to head cross state/country after a year of knowing the bike well(leh maybe), even if that dream does not materialize, I will making atleast one trip between bombay and pune per month. No prior bullet experience, been solely a car person so far, except for riding borrowed enticer for 6 months. But if i go for a motorcycle, it will be only a bullet. I dont like to rev and show off the power or even race, am quite happy cruising but would like something that would be a good option on a highway.

Now my question: Do you think I should stick to cl350(comparably less or no problems) or go for cl500 (FI, power capability, new upcoming remapped versions)? Would my short commute be a problem for cl500 (nasir doesnt think so). Really will appreciate if you and other CL350 owners could shed some light on this one. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:13   #783
Senior - BHPian

Hi

This is a rather difficult choice to make. The Classic 350 is an excellent city bike and good for the occasional touring. However, I find that one is limited to cruising at 75-80 on a 350, whereas a C5 will see you doing triple digit speeds constantly.

While you may not want to drive that fast, a punchy engine is required for evasive/overtaking maneuvers on the highway. From that aspect, the C5 beats the Classic 350 hands down.

But then again, my Classic 350 ownership has been a virtual breeze. I rarely face reliability issues, and apart from a snapped clutch cable and occasional puncture, my Bullet has never left me stranded.

I normally ride ~50 odd kms everytime I sit in the saddle, and clean/maintain my Bull more often than my own self. Even so, the Classic 350 is largely niggle free and will provide you a painless ownership experience. But do remember that there will be times on the highway when you mentally kick yourself for not picking up the Classic 500.

Also, I hope you realise that the newer bullets are no more about low revs and thumping along.

My call would be to wait for a while. See if the new remap works and is being implemented across the country. Once that part is set, the Classic 500 is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

PS: What makes you feel that the C5 won't be fit for the city?

Last edited by EssYouWe : 19th May 2011 at 19:14.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:50   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
The backache is recurrent, my back really does not like the Classic seat. :P
Weight training is a great way to get rid of lower back muscular pain (i.e. not slipped discs, etc). You should do "dead-lifts" (look it up on the web) 2-3 times a week with a pair of heavy dumbells, and the back problems will disappear in a month. It will take no more than a few minutes a week. CAUTION: don't over-do it on your first few attempts, but build-up slowly, in terms of weight and repetitions.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 19th May 2011 at 19:53.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 11:47   #785
BHPian

Thank you for the quick reply, really appreciate your opinion

Quote:
Hi

This is a rather difficult choice to make. The Classic 350 is an excellent city bike and good for the occasional touring. However, I find that one is limited to cruising at 75-80 on a 350, whereas a C5 will see you doing triple digit speeds constantly.

While you may not want to drive that fast, a punchy engine is required for evasive/overtaking maneuvers on the highway. From that aspect, the C5 beats the Classic 350 hands down.

I think that is very important aswell.. I may not fire up everytime, but to have the power for times like these is essential for safe highway riding

But then again, my Classic 350 ownership has been a virtual breeze. I rarely face reliability issues, and apart from a snapped clutch cable and occasional puncture, my Bullet has never left me stranded.

Thats what made me book cl350 in the first place. your experience viz a viz cl500 owners and have read this thread completely. But am excited about remapped ECU and some recent improvements on cl500 by RE

I normally ride ~50 odd kms everytime I sit in the saddle, and clean/maintain my Bull more often than my own self. Even so, the Classic 350 is largely niggle free and will provide you a painless ownership experience. But do remember that there will be times on the highway when you mentally kick yourself for not picking up the Classic 500.

Also, I hope you realise that the newer bullets are no more about low revs and thumping along.

Yes I do realize that, I love the look and look forward to better technology. I know there are certain tradeoffs with respect to the thump and slow cruising. Thats fine. its a new machine with better technology.

My call would be to wait for a while. See if the new remap works and is being implemented across the country. Once that part is set, the Classic 500 is the way to go.

Thats good advice, I will play the waiting game for now. I hope they announce the remapped versions soon as randhawa pointed out. I will get my cl350 in Jan 2012.

Now if I change the booking to cl500, would that be counted as a fresh booking or would they still count it as a april 20011 booking?

Hope this helps.

PS: What makes you feel that the C5 won't be fit for the city?
I always thought that cl500 especially needs at-least 10-15km ride at a go. and since my daily office commute is hardly anything, I will hopefully be doing a lot of riding in my spare time. but just in case if i am not able to do that regularly, i wouldn't want the cl500 (FI engine and all) to die down or sputter because of lack of long rides. I hope this makes sense. A cl500 owner told me that it would not be a problem but for sooting of the plugs.

And the other point is since I have not test drove the cl500, i was not sure whether it would be too powerful for me? I rode the cl350 and that was not a problem, unfortunately none of the showrooms have cl500 available for testride in bombay right now. they say the bikes are off for servicing, which sounds very fishy. This might be a sign of new machines being announced maybe. Do you think managing the cl500 is difficult? Honestly I dont think so, but I wouldn't know unless I try it
Old 20th May 2011, 14:49   #786
Senior - BHPian

Hi Click,

I am not very sure on the booking date thing. Please clarify with your dealer. Jan 2012 gives you a LOT of time to wait it out.

Every vehicle is always better off doing longer runs as compared to short 5-6 km journeys. Long journeys (~20-25 kms) give your engine the chance to warm up properly and burn off some of the carbon deposition in the engine.

The C5 soot on the plugs issue should be sorted with the new remap. If it is not tackled by the remap, just do not go in for C5.
In any case, the short rides shouldn't be too big a deal till you give the Bull a good 25-30 km continuous run once in two weeks.

Do not worry about the C5 being too powerful. No Indian bike is.
You will do just fine on the C5 as well! Till the time you treat the machine well, service it regularly and run it in well (the most important bit!), your ownership experience should be breezy smooth!

Achint
EssYouWe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 16:04   #787
BHPian

Hey Click,

I have owned a CL 350 for more than 6 months and clocked almost 10k kms on the ride. Trust me, she is good on highways as well as best suited for city rides as well.

While CL 500 is breeze on the highway, I am not sure how she fairs in the regular city riding so choose not to comment. But I am sure it won't be that bad. One thing you do need to realize is, you will have to feed her with loads of kms to keep her trouble free and that is what I have learnt from various forum and friends as well.

CL 350 won't disappoint you on highways, she manages to effortlessly cruise at speeds around 85-90 kmph and that too for hours to go. I have done a couple of long trips on my bike with one of them being a 12+ hours / 600+kms trip one way. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2106149

Yes, there are times on the highway when you have roads like runways in front of you with no other moving objects around when you feel a little more power wouldn't have been bad. She maxes out at approximately 120kms BUT you can't keep cruising at speeds in excess of 100kmph. This is where a CL 500 takes the cake.

So if you are more of a highway person and will do justice to the CL 500 by treating her with those long rides go for the bigger mill. Else, CL 350 for regular city rides and long rides where you would like to cruise along tad bit lower to 100kmph is a good buy.

Also keep in mind, if you ride with a group and they have slower machines you will not get to utilize the CL 500 as you would wish too. Both are great bikes and are best in their own league.

All the best with your decision making.

Last edited by mantrig : 20th May 2011 at 16:07.
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:13   #788
BHPian

EssYouWe & mantrig: Thank you fellas,

since I have just booked the cl350 in April, I have the advantage of waiting for the updates from RE on cl500. I may ride more in the city only in the initial period, but I def will be going for longer highway rides. Wont be going over 100km all the time, but it is always safer to have that option while overtaking on highways.

So in a nutshell, I will play the watch and wait game and hope they announce something soon.

Mihir
Old 26th May 2011, 12:30   #789

After 4 months waiting atlast got my classic 350, last monday 25th may 2011. After riding 100cc bikes for last 15 years(Samurai,Shogun,Libero,RX 135,Activa) i am very much excited to join the bullet family.

Initial experience
1. The respect recieved from fellow bikers on road makes me think and drive in a matured way.
2)Eventhough the exhaust note(thump) is not as good as the old CI models, I love the soft thump classic generates and no plans to change to an Upswept silencer.
3)The noise form engine feels like annoying sometimes, Hope the sound will fade after some time.
4)The chrome plating already have signs of rust in the catalytic converter sheild.

5)I havent pushed my bull beyond 50kmph till now. Some times i feel the bike have not enough power.

Till now i am fully satisfied with my decision . Some pictures of my bull
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-1.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-2.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-3.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-4.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-5.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-6.jpg  

Old 26th May 2011, 14:34   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust_in_peace View Post
After 4 months waiting atlast got my classic 350, last monday 25th may 2011. After riding 100cc bikes for last 15 years(Samurai,Shogun,Libero,RX 135,Activa) i am very much excited to join the bullet family.

Initial experience
1. The respect recieved from fellow bikers on road makes me think and drive in a matured way.

The bull is a machine which will get you a lot of road presence and respect on the road. One thing is, you treat her with respect and she will never let you down.

2)Eventhough the exhaust note(thump) is not as good as the old CI models, I love the soft thump classic generates and no plans to change to an Upswept silencer.

You will not get the exact thumpy feeling while riding. However, as the running is gets done with, you will start enjoying riding sedately and cruising around at speeds around 65-70kmph in 5th gear during those late night city rides. She just sounds sweet at the band.

Also, on an open highway the sweet-spot lies at 1/3rd trottle/5th gear when she keeps sailing at speeds around 80+ and does it for hours to go

3)The noise form engine feels like annoying sometimes, Hope the sound will fade after some time.

The engine will start sounding much better after the first service and gear shifting will get much more smoother than expected. While the clatter from the engine does not really fade, you start getting used to it and your ears will start ignoring that clatter for the exhaust note.

4)The chrome plating already have signs of rust in the catalytic converter sheild.

This is somewhere RE has a long way to go. QUALITY!!! They need to start giving customers what they deserve. If this is too prominent, raise it during your 1st service and try to get the shield replaced. It will only get worst during monsoons.

5)I havent pushed my bull beyond 50kmph till now. Some times i feel the bike have not enough power.

Oh, do not feel bogged down - She does as have lot of power. Now you are taking it easy as the bike is new and you are shifting on lower RPMs hence this feeling.

As time passes by and you change gears at higher speeds and RPMs she will be responsive enough to make you feel otherwise.

Till now i am fully satisfied with my decision . Some pictures of my bull
Congratulations on your new machine, the color also looks awesome.

Happy Thumping & Ride safe.
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 19:08   #791
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rust_in_peace,

Congratulations on your Bull! I am of the opinion that the Maroon is the best color out of the three. Maintain 'er well and I wish you many happy miles.

I couldn't get which part has caught rust. Can you indicate the position in the photograph?

Please do follow the run-in routine religiously and you should have a trouble-free ownership experience.

All the best,
Achint
Old 26th May 2011, 20:18   #792
BHPian

@rust_in_peace

Congrats and welcome to the 'family' . Is there any changes/modifications to newer CL 350 compared to mine (2010) and EssYouWee (2009) generations ? What about the Handlebar - I hear RE changed it in C5.

Quote:
Congratulations on your Bull! I am of the opinion that the Maroon is the best color out of the three...
Its a pity...I had booked Maroon first and then changed to black after listening to all the sorry stories of poor paint quality etc.. My thought was I can touch up black color any time myself by buying a 50ml sample tin paint but exact maroon shade will be difficult to get. But no complaints so far on paint quality on my Bullu- still intact - except for some minor man made scrapping at parking lots.

@Achint.. Any idea where Sanjeet has gone? I dont see him and his Anastasia these days...

regards
San
Old 26th May 2011, 21:47   #793
BHPian

Amazing is the word. I will be booking the same color in August this year.
Old 26th May 2011, 21:57   #794
Senior - BHPian

Sanjeet picked up a Punto, and has graduated to four wheels thanks to the heat in Chd.
Where have you been? How many miles on the Bull now?
EssYouWe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 23:13   #795
Senior - BHPian

Hey Bro , Just Bumped into your thread as i recently became a proud owner of a TBTS'11.

Sorry for not going through the entire thread but couple of coincidences that i could gather from your introductory post

Place of buy - Ess Aar Motors ( Jhandewalan )

Temp Number DL 6TC 0055 - I'm just wondering if they can circulate the same temp number after about 2 years

Here's pic of my Bird - I've named it Birdie and am in the process of writing the ownership report.

Keep Thumping Bro and hope to meet you sometime soon
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img00909201104071531.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks