Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 15:40   #841
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

@ mantrig : Thanks, Will try it for sure. And by the way we could afford a biologist here in team bhp
Regards Adrian
Old 5th August 2011, 16:46   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ mantrig : Thanks, Will try it for sure. And by the way we could afford a biologist here in team bhp.
Regards Adrian
Thank you for making the consideration.

And yes, I meant old Colin ka bottle and not Harpic.

I keep coming back to this thread everyday, just seem to be missing my Classic a lot. Especially, given the weather in Mumbai - Classic was a perfect commuter which used to take everything thrown from the road (muck, potholes...) in it's stride. CBR 250 is just not something you want to use everyday on these abused streets during the monsoons.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:33   #843
BHPian

ALERT : ALL TRIVANDRUM BULLETEERS : Service Engineers from RE to visit Marikkar Bullet Service, Pattom on 26/08/2011 to address problems of 500 / 350 machines.
Regards Adrian

OT : Really had to dive down deep to salvage this thread. C3 guys (sleepy ones !) Arey bhayya post some thing !!

Last edited by adrian : 25th August 2011 at 10:37.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:47   #844
BHPian

Quote:

OT : Really had to dive down deep to salvage this thread. C3 guys (sleepy ones !) Arey bhayya post some thing !!
Agree with you 100%.. Either the C350 has no problems or people are way to lazy or busy enjoying their sweet ride.

I am still waiting for the delivery....Once I get her, shall chronicle my experience here.
Old 26th August 2011, 14:14   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Agree with you 100%.. Either the C350 has no problems or people are way to lazy or busy enjoying their sweet ride.

I am still waiting for the delivery....Once I get her, shall chronicle my experience here.
Hi Click, You can say that there is hardly any problems with the 350 bikes but then it is using less technology than the 500s. I will always remember my waiting period for my machine ; drooling over bullets, searching posts to know more about bullets. You are the member of a fine forum and use your waiting period enlightening yourself. Welcome to the family in advance.

As far as I am concerned, I have 2900 in the odo and has done my 3rd service. I had complained about the bike diving to the right when hands off and had asked them to increment the cam gear on the right side +1 than the left as the wheel was slightly pointing to the left. What they did was that they trued the rear wheel and left the cam gears 12/12 on both sides. My bike is happily diving to the right when hands off ! Could any one post (preferably with pictures how to adjust the cam gears ? I am ok upto the adjusting cam gear instructions in the manual but I am not getting this sentence : " Apply brakes and tighten all nuts". Now what is this for (not the tightening of nuts, but the applying of brakes thing !?
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 26th August 2011 at 14:24.
Old 26th August 2011, 21:23   #846
BHPian

6000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post

You are right. C350..No problems...enjoying. I even skipped my 4th service (9 months)- didnt want to "create" problems by visiting the Service centre !

regards
san

Last edited by stnair : 26th August 2011 at 21:23. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 27th August 2011, 05:48   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

@adrian
Towards the bottom of the post in this link I mentioned my method of checking the alignment of the rear wheel with the front wheel.
You might read thru it and then use the method to see if your rear wheel is properly aligned.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...queries-3.html

As it turned out on my RE G5 the number of notches on my adjustment cams is equal on both sides of my motorcycle however this is not always the case.

The only important thing is that the rear wheel is pointed exactly at the front wheel.

As for the recommendation that the brake must be applied I believe this is RE's way of making sure the rear wheel is pulled tightly towards the front of the bike while your tightening the nuts.

Be sure to tighten the large nut that holds the brakes backing plate to the swing arm.
Although I don't know for sure exactly what caused it, I feel that nut came loose on another RE rider's bike without his knowledge.
When he used the rear brake at freeway speeds (105 Km/hr), the loose drum rotated which had the effect of applying more braking force on the cam lever. This resulted in locking up his rear wheel.
He saved the bike and did not crash but it sure got his attention!
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 13:18   #848
BHPian

@ArizonaJim : Thank you sir, really appreciate it.

@ San : Really happy to see you back friend. You are upto the point by quoting "didn't want to create any problems by visiting the service" ! But did you carry out the 4th service check list either by yourself or with any trustworthy mechanic in your home town ?
Regards Adrian
Old 30th August 2011, 14:45   #849
BHPian

Quote:
... but I am not getting this sentence : " Apply brakes and tighten all nuts". Now what is this for (not the tightening of nuts, but the applying of brakes thing !?
Afaik this is about centering the brake plate, line-up pads in the drum for it to make full contact & no squeaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim
.. check to make sure the front wheel on the motorcycle is pointed straight ahead. ..
most times i fail at this. So can you say how to ascertain front wheel is straight ahead? other than eyeball-ing front wheel to frame
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 01:16   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
... So can you say how to ascertain front wheel is straight ahead? other than eyeball-ing front wheel to frame
Eyeball and feel are about the only things that can be easily used.

After becoming familiar with a motorcycle to learn how it "feels", sitting on the saddle and holding the handlebars will get the front wheel very close to being "straight ahead".

After doing this, dismounting and walking a ways in front of the bike and taking a good look at the position of the front wheel relative to the rest of the bikes frame should be enough to verify that the wheel is pointed straight ahead.

Sorry I don't have a better way but the front wheels direction doesn't have to be exact.
For checking the alignment of the rear wheel, using these methods should be good enough.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 10:37   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Afaik this is about centering the brake plate, line-up pads in the drum for it to make full contact & no squeaks.

most times i fail at this. So can you say how to ascertain front wheel is straight ahead? other than eyeball-ing front wheel to frame
Thanks Rennjit. Some people propose the method of measuring the distance from the nut that fixes the swing arm to the frame to the centre of the rear axle (on both sides) using a string for aligning the rear wheel. As for the front wheel pointing straight ahead, how about measuring the distance from the centre of the front axle to the frame (preferably the engine mounting brackets) of the motorbike on both sides using a thread or something. I am not sure about the feasibility of this method, but I think this topic is worth a discussion.
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 31st August 2011 at 10:40.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:55   #852
BHPian

ALTERNATIVE SPARES : The brake pedal height adjuster bush of my bike was damaged and the pedal was striking the underside of the silencer. I went to RE spares and got the reply as always : "not available". So I took the damaged bush to other spare part shops and luckly got an alternative. The Bajaj Chetak scooter has a smililar bush and it is an alternative for the brake pedal adjuster bush.
Regards Adrian
Attached Images

Last edited by adrian : 1st September 2011 at 12:57.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:48   #853
BHPian

Has anyone here tried to fit an rpm meter into their casquette? I mean, into the ignition key slot, instead of the handlebar or someplace else.

Do you get rpm meters in the size of an ammeter?

This is the only picture I found online where someone has implemented this. This is not in India.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-tacho.jpg  

Old 4th September 2011, 23:11   #854
BHPian

Hi everyone, I have two doubts , 1. How do you adjust a TPS cable ? 2. What is the routing procedure of the clutch cable? Should you start from the lever end or from the clutch end? Really confused at the cable adjuster end in the engine cover.How to get the cable assembly through the barrel nut (cable adjuster) holder on the clutch cover?
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 4th September 2011 at 23:13.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:34   #855

datvichrox2, More than an rpm meter, I'd really like to see a fuel gauge on the bullet. I wonder if anyone here at team-bhp has been able to implement that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks