Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 14:19   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
.. But the newer engines( other than the CI ones) do not sound very healthy/nice to the rider, because a lot of the engine sounds like valve gear, other clatter etc from the alloy block and head are heard a lot more than the exhaust note. The same engine would sound a lot different ( better different )
I am on the constant look-out for other bikes riding past me to get the real sound too!
Got fed up with the clatter from the TBTS engine (which is essentially the same on your bike too, EssYouWe?) as I would only hear the rear exhaust note when I upped the revs and I did not want to do that during its running in. Now I have kind of had a truce with that irritating mechanical "noise" and just try to mentally block it and listen to the exhaust note
Old 14th December 2009, 20:37   #77
BHPian

Wow so we have lots of owners already

Well I just booked my bull 350 red. Hopefully should be getting in 1st week of JAN.
Navi Mumbai
Old 14th December 2009, 22:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

I heard the note without a helmet on for the first time.

It sounds like someone's having a fight in the kitchen. Stupid clanking sound. I am now so jealous of the CI's note and its ability to putter around.

Still not giving up hope.

The upper revs (right before one shifts) are getting visibly smoother. It takes forever to warm up though. I idle for 5 minutes before leaving home and it still passes out at at least the next 2-3 signals.

Thankfully no oil leaks yet.

Lesson of the day: Never go riding at night without gloves.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:43   #79
BHPian

^ did you talk about CI ? lol !

Essyouwee : dude you need to ride your bike more frequently, Until its in the running in period, you need to take care of it.. yeah the TS UCE is pretty clanky, but you can get rid of those noises after you run her in. But right now, try just recording a CI's thump and use your earphones to hear it when you drive lol ! kiddin man : atleast ride in 20 kms a day ( you are in delhi right ? ) :|
Old 18th December 2009, 18:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

Drove around 50 kms today. Odo settled at 260 kms as I rolled it in.

Riding has become easier and a lot more fun. Sitting as far back as you can on the seat provides decent support to the backside.

All seems well. Clicked a few pics and recorded a video to illustrate the clanking I was talking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_private...vx-JKaE9qW5iPQ

The pics: (I am no great photographer as is very obvious )

@Shan

Coming to Doon day after tomorrow. Sans the bike sadly. Want a ride on your CI. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image0285.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image0288.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image0289.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image0290.jpg  

Last edited by EssYouWe : 18th December 2009 at 18:38.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:19   #81
Senior - BHPian

Does the clanking noise goes away on a warm engine or after start up?
Old 18th December 2009, 22:58   #82
BHPian

thats great news, call me up when you get here ! the noise from your engine seems pretty normal to me as its a UCE
Old 18th December 2009, 23:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Does the clanking noise goes away on a warm engine or after start up?
No no! The recording is of an engine that has just run 25 kms. I can't say with absolute confidence whether it is there when I start it early morning. I'll check tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
thats great news, call me up when you get here ! the noise from your engine seems pretty normal to me as its a UCE
Thanks for that. I still feel it clunkers like a road roller. The CI is just so smooth. (Brickbats for saying CI's smoother than UCE?)

PS: Do you recognise the road Shan? Its the last road in the campus, right close to the train tracks.

Last edited by EssYouWe : 18th December 2009 at 23:36.
Old 19th December 2009, 22:23   #84
BHPian

one quick question, for cl350 where does the air filter element sit- inside Triangular box (has Cl350 sticker) or Oval shaped (near carb)?
RE's web pictures a 500 in info list of 350.
Old 19th December 2009, 22:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Not 100% sure but I think the filter is located in the oval shaped one on CL350.
Old 20th December 2009, 23:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hi EssYouWe,

Congrats on the buy, & looking forward to hearing your experiences with the Bullet.

About the clanking sound, it shouldn't be much. A hydraulic tappet, which is what we have in the UCE engines is meant to operate with zero clearance which would result in lesser valve train noise. It doesn't mean that it would be absolutely quiet, & you can know that after hearing any car's engine with the hood popped up. I cannot explain here what a healthy valve train would sound like, but an unhealthy one sounds almost like a tractor (you would hear loud kad kad kad kad sound).

Don't worry too much about it unless it is very loud. A good of hearing the proper noise is to ask somebody to block the exhaust with his/her foot, so that the thump is muted somewhat & you can hear the other noises. Try doing that & if you think that the sound is a little too much, then take it to the workshop. You can also get in touch with some TBTS owners since it has been around for some time & they can help you out with it or give some tips.

Just one tip I would like to give is that the UCE engine is definitely better but be very careful with your oil changes. The biggest & immediate threat to a hydraulic tappet is bad engine oil.

Take care.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
Old 21st December 2009, 00:15   #87
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

All seems well. Clicked a few pics and recorded a video to illustrate the clanking I was talking of:
Hey, did you get the bike with that long bottle silencer?
yesterday I saw one in the showroom nearby with a shortish silencer which is bent upwards towards the rear. The thump it was providing felt nice when inside the showroom. Atleast more good than the TBTS
Old 21st December 2009, 16:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it comes with this one. The upswept exhaust has to be bought separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hi EssYouWe,

Congrats on the buy, & looking forward to hearing your experiences with the Bullet.

Just one tip I would like to give is that the UCE engine is definitely better but be very careful with your oil changes. The biggest & immediate threat to a hydraulic tappet is bad engine oil.

Take care.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
Thanks! It isn't that much. It is just that I am obsessed with my bike and keep reassuring myself that it is running perfectly.

@Rollin
The link is public now
Old 21st December 2009, 17:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

@easyyousee-Get treated for OCD ASAP I have gone through that stage and now I am a lot better after 2850km.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:27   #90
BHPian

@ESSYOUWE It sounds very different from the TBTS, although both have the same UCE 350 engine, due to, I think, the different muffler. The RE engineers must have tried to re-create the thump of the old RE bikes, and gotten this...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks