Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 15:06   #1021
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
We went to Nandi hills last weekend (140 km round trip)......
I'm also facing a lot of problems with my 2013 BULLET 350 UCE (STD.). I had a 2012 BULLET 350 UCE (now sold) and it was smoother and performed better as compared to my present bike. It reached 80-90 kmph region with sheer ease with no vibration at all and hit a max of 120 kmph. It felt freer revving as compared to the new one.
My present bike touches a max. of 100kmph and requires a long stretch to achieve that. There are nerve jarring vibrations at 80kmph. Acceleration is sluggish and the engine feels quite rough. I've fiddled a lot with the tps and the fuel mixture and yet the same results. Now I'm left with no option other than just wait and watch (maybe as I rack up more miles, the engine would free up)

Can it be that RE has stuffed up the exhaust and/or intake to comply with some new emission norms in 2013 models?? Due to which the overall performance has reduced?? Bullet Gurus please give your valuable comments.

Well I have a breather for you regarding the gearshift issue. Believe me the gearshift will smoothen out as you clock more kms on the odo. I've clocked 1600kms on my new and I've monitored the gearshift quality quite closely and it has improved a lot.

There is a particular rhythmic vibration which I noticed at 50-60kmph in top gear. Its periodic like a wave: creeps in and goes again creeps in and goes and so on continuously. I really can't figure out from where its originating from since its quite slow speed vibration and the time period cannot be matched with any of the engine components. It is perhaps this vibration which transforms into a harsh humming sound at 90 kmph + region. Does anyone has any clues on this?? Also is there any source from which one can find out if there are any changes in 2012 and 2013 models?? These problems are giving me the worst nightmares of my life

Last edited by abhishek24x : 6th May 2013 at 15:10.
Old 7th May 2013, 03:36   #1022
Distinguished - BHPian

You may want to check the Cylinder Steady bracket to see if it is loose or broken.

This is a metal strip that connects the rear of the cylinder head to the frame under the rear of the fuel tank.
If it is loose or broken the engines vibration will be very noticeable.

Also, check all of the engine mount bolts on the lower area of the engine.
Again, if one of these is loose or broken the motorcycle will have a lot of engine vibration.

All things have a frequency which will cause them to resonate.
Usually the different frequencies don't combine to increase in magnitude however sometimes a harmonic frequency can stimulate a part or parts to vibrate more severely.
When it does, it in turn may excite other parts to vibrate worse.

Because each part is independent occasionally the increased vibration of one part can reduce or nullify the vibration of another part which in turn can reduce its effect on the various other parts.

This can cause a increase and then a subsequent decrease in the vibration of the system which you are describing as a periodic wave.

Because many different parts are involved, changing just one parts mass or the tightness of its retainers can reduce or stop the phenomenon.
Even something as simple as changing the air pressure in the tyres can have an effect.
Occasionally, loosening the fasteners of a part like a mud guard and then re- tightening it can help.
Shifting your position on the seat can also have an effect.

I don't have a specific answer to your cyclic vibration problem because it is too complex but you might try some of these things.

Good luck.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:18   #1023
BHPian

Hi experts, RE has come up with a new brand of engine oil for all Bullets. It is called the 'Liquid Gun'. I think it is in collaboration with Hindusthan petroleum. More details if known to any one ?
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-be0nk32cuaehfoz.jpg  

Last edited by adrian : 18th May 2013 at 10:30.
Old 19th May 2013, 00:23   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

It must have been my demented childhood!!!

When I see that name I instantly think of the many water pistols I wore out squirting Chuck and Bob.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...w=1400&bih=750
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 01:35   #1025
BHPian

Was happy that RE was using Motul as its standard oil brand but now dont know why it had to change. :(
Old 27th May 2013, 07:55   #1026
BHPian

Hello good people,

Have been away from the forum for almost a year now. Got my 350 last April and must say was the best thing to happen to me in 2012. Have ridden it sparingly for about 3200kms only as I only get to ride on weekend if no family events are planned, which is quite less frequent. Anyways here is one picture. Will be more regular with pictures and ownership stories.

Her name is Zoya.

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image1165574490.jpg

©MihirShah All rights Reserved
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 21:27   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
You may want to check the Cylinder Steady bracket to see if it is loose or broken...

.....Shifting your position on the seat can also have an effect.

I don't have a specific answer to your cyclic vibration problem because it is too complex but you might try some of these things.

Good luck.
The cylinder steady brace is in place and the fasteners too are perfectly fine. Something I didnt mention in the previous post is that there is a continuous vibration at idle which can be felt through the handlebar and the front foot pegs. This same vibration is felt at about 45-50 kmph in 5th and dissappears at higher speeds. The nature of vibrations at idle is of continuous type and same changes to waveish in the 2nd condition. Also, engine noise is on the higher side and sometimes I feel as if it is a case of piston slap. But had it been piston slap, shouldnt it dissappear at high engine temperatures due to the thermal expansion of the piston and hence decrease in the excess clearance??
Can such a vib be due to some bearing/primary chain/valve tappets/etc?? Is there some setting/fastening that needs to be done in these parts??

Also, the engine becomes so hot (even in short stints of 4-5 kms that too in the evening) that the heat is easily sensed through the thighs. Plus the tank gets quite heated up too. Is it normal for the engine to get this much heated?? I hardly recollect my previous 350 uce producing this much heat.
Old 28th May 2013, 03:50   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

My only suggestion concerning the noise you hear is for you to listen to as many other RE 350 UCE's like yours as possible to see if they also have similar noises.
You are correct in saying thermal expansion will decrease excess clearance between the piston and the bore, usually eliminating piston slap. If the sound remains after the engine is warmed up, piston slap is probably not the problem.

All big single cylinder engine motorcycles vibrate and because of the mass of the various parts it will be more noticeable at some engine speeds than at others. It is often most noticeable when the engine is idling, usually shaking the rear view mirrors to the point that everything behind you will be blurred.

Air cooled engines give off a lot of heat thru radiation as well as convection.
It isn't unusual for a air cooled engine to reach temperatures of 140 degrees C.
The cylinder head temperature on some air cooled aircraft engines often reaches as high as 170 degrees C. and still be within its safe working limits and on a hot day in slow traffic it wouldn't surprise me to see the same temperatures on a Royal Enfield cylinder head.
Old 4th June 2013, 17:45   #1029

I have been following this thread and the one by @Randhawa religiously since the day I booked my RE Classic 350. Have read so many views, likes, problems etc. but the common denominator is that we all love the bull.

I can't wait to get my bull delivered. The showroom guys have promised in 2 weeks but with their record being bang-on with time, not, I am waiting patiently.

Shall capture my whole experience in pictures and a few videos if possible and shall post my ownership experience.

Thanks a tonne to everyone who has contributed to this forum.

Cheers,

JC
Old 29th July 2013, 21:56   #1030
Senior - BHPian

I saw some one pushing his classic 350 above its normal limits y'day. I was on my way to Chennai and was cruising at the 6 lane highway on 3 digit speeds. This person was well built (~100kg) had a pillion rider and still he was trying to overtake me. He was with me for almost 30 km and I could feel the engine being strained from my car; dont understand why he wasnt getting it. Both the riders were without any gear.

Posting it here because the rear number plate had www.team-bhp.com sticker. Tried to pass a message; but couldn't. FInally left him behind and I moved forward.

At the same I understood what a 350 UCE can do. I never dared to push mine 100 kmph+. this was 20-30% higher than that with 200% more weight.
Old 10th August 2013, 18:55   #1031
BHPian

Hi guys, I need some experts' advice. Planning to buy a bullet next month. Cannot decide between Electra and Classic 350. Both will be available for delivery in mid Sept in Nagpur. Earlier choice was 500 Chrome, but it will be available by end Nov or early Dec. Cant wait till then. The bull will be used only occasionally, mainly during week-end. Sort of long cherished dream of the past 20 years which could not be fulfilled due to various issues. Please advice which one will be better from maintenance point of view. Be it car or bike, I am averse to go to service station frequently. Price, FE, cost of ownership are not factors. Also, please advise on the process of PDI. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th October 2013, 21:45   #1032
BHPian

Finally bit the bullet and bought the CL350. Booked on 28th Sep, got delivery on 4th Oct by pulling some strings infact it was ready for delivery on 3rd Oct but was put on hold due to bad weather.

Well there is new news for the Classic 350, not sure if it has already been posted or people are aware.

The new lot are coming from the new RE plant at Chennai and they are coming with a bigger petrol tank. Moreover the rust issues does not appear on these classics coming from the new plant. I was unaware of this, the dealer asked me to choose one from the parking lot, and while examining the bikes, it seems most of them have minor rust issues, but some of them do not. I chose one with no rust visible, and this was from the new plant, and their chassis no. are also different.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_20131004_144924.jpg  

Old 9th October 2013, 20:43   #1033
BHPian

@Shakensoul congrats for your new bull.
I had also booked for RE CL 350 and waiting for the delivery (wud take 3 more months)...
Good to hear that RE is taking care of paint quality. So watz the capacity of the new tank?
Was there any price diff for these new surprises?
Old 9th October 2013, 23:16   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguprasad View Post
@Shakensoul congrats for your new bull.
I had also booked for RE CL 350 and waiting for the delivery (wud take 3 more months)...
Good to hear that RE is taking care of paint quality. So watz the capacity of the new tank?
Was there any price diff for these new surprises?
Thanks. I am not sure if the capacity of the tank is bigger as the manual still reflects the old specs, however I will get an idea once I hit reserve and estimate the reserve capacity. Will update you then.

The ex-showroom price here is 116784.

Also please note that the bikes coming from the new plant have different engine and chassis nos.

E.g. My Chassis no is like ME3U3S5C1DK007xxx

Engine No. U3S5C0DK313xxx

The RE staff made a goof up while preparing the papers, he assumed that the engine & chassis no. would be the same and just noted down the engine no and prepared all the papers. While taking delivery, I noticed that the numbers were different and the complete papers had to be redone.
Shakensoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 10:59   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Finally bit the bullet and bought the CL350. Booked on 28th Sep, got delivery on 4th Oct by pulling some strings infact it was ready for delivery on 3rd Oct but was put on hold due to bad weather.
Hey Shakensoul, similar story here, got it on the 5th
Can you please check the toolkit and see how many tools are there in it, my number doesn't match with the tools mentioned in the manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks