Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:29   #91
BHPian

Hey EssYouWe,

Not comparing it with the CI but the bike sounds very nice apart from the engine rattle, at least the bullet character is not lost, we all know evolution changes things. I am personally a CI fan but individually this is a great bike. The classic looks with different tires is refreshing.
Is handling and ride better with smaller diameter tires or worse as compared to 19 inchers.

Regards

Pranav
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:01   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
one quick question, for cl350 where does the air filter element sit- inside Triangular box (has Cl350 sticker) or Oval shaped (near carb)?
RE's web pictures a 500 in info list of 350.
Air filter is inside right side triangular box. Oval shaped box covers a regular square shaped plastic box which is connected to air filter box on one end and carburetor on the other. Yes, bad design.Tool pouch( leather pouch) is placed inside the left side box.
Old 27th December 2009, 16:05   #93
Senior - BHPian

I took the bike to the service center and asked the guy there to check out the sound. He told me it sounds pretty normal but he did not sound very convincing.

The odo is at 400 kms. Another 100 and I'll haul it in for the first service. Hopefully things will improve after oil change.

The mechanic at RE advised me against the upswept before 3000kms. :(
What is your take on this Gurus?

A question: I have kept it below 60 till now. Can I push the bar to 70 or 65 abouts now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMS View Post
Hey EssYouWe,

Not comparing it with the CI but the bike sounds very nice apart from the engine rattle, at least the bullet character is not lost, we all know evolution changes things. I am personally a CI fan but individually this is a great bike. The classic looks with different tires is refreshing.
Is handling and ride better with smaller diameter tires or worse as compared to 19 inchers.

Regards

Pranav
Well I tried to ride Shantanu's STD (and failed miserably ) and it felt much lighter than the Classic. After a pretty long discussion with Navpreet, we concluded it must be the smaller and wider tires.

So, it isn't as light as you might feel a Std. to be. The handling and cornering is just plain awesome.
I have no words to express the ease with which it takes corners at high speeds.

The ride quality seems decent enough.

One thing was that the handle bars aren't too kind on the wrists. A bit higher would have been definitely more comfortable.

@Navpreet:

The clutch is the same. My grip on it however, is closer to the right than it is on your LB. I think I'll get it pulled up a bit. That should ease the grip.
Old 27th December 2009, 18:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead and twist the throttle. You wont have any problem or side effects if you touch 100 just don't hold on to that speed. 70 is safe.

It's better if you wait at least for another 1500k before you go for upswept. Let your engine set in nicely before you can reduce the back pressure with the upswept. I should remind you that upswept is illegal on roads and it's for off road purpose only
Old 27th December 2009, 19:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

Yeah like that stops 90% of bulleteers from going in for short bottles and goldstars.

Getting my PUC before the swap would be a good idea though.

Hey can you please post a vid with your engine block's sound?
Old 27th December 2009, 20:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Ok I'll try to post the video for you today although a bit busy writing my CL review at last.
Old 27th December 2009, 21:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

You might feel a bit better now.

Last edited by Randhawa : 27th December 2009 at 21:06.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Crazzy Randy man.

This makes things worse. Yours has nowhere near as much clanking as mine does!

I think I'll go out and jump off a cliff with it. :P

Just joking... thump or no thump, I love my Bull. I just want to make sure the clanking isn't a problem.

PS:Where's your thread?
Old 27th December 2009, 23:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

You are just getting paranoid Noise on yours will decrease overtime. I had two oil changes and as of today it's done 3300km so getting smoother.

Mine is going to be a bit elaborated so not done yet, may be by tomorrow evening it will be up.

Last edited by Randhawa : 27th December 2009 at 23:47.
Old 27th December 2009, 23:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Okay Ernest Hemingway. Don't take another year to post it now!

I won't be piling many kms till the third. Will schedule my service around 3-4 Jan and update the thread.

Cheers!
Old 28th December 2009, 17:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

A question: I have kept it below 60 till now. Can I push the bar to 70 or 65 abouts now?
You could try touching 70 for a few seconds, and then go down to 50-60. Then repeat the process 10-15 times, each time increasing the time spent on 70, before slowing down. Once this is done you will be able to go up to 70 whenever required (but don't cruise at 70 for long periods till your bike has been fully run-in).

But what is your hurry? You could easily go at 70, 80, 90, or even 100. But will you able to stop at those speeds in an emergency (say, when going through a blind turn you find yourself confronted by an idiot SUV driver trying to overtake a truck on that turn, covering the entire expanse of the road)? Till you have mastered using your brakes, especially the powerful front brake, don't go to high speeds.
At the risk of sounding like your Uncle, I repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post

Once you are comfortable on your bike, with a few hundred km done, I would strongly urge you to learn and regularly practice these two emergency measures:

1. Swerving (using counter-steering)
2. Emergency braking (using both brakes).

You have to be EXTREMELY careful while learning these. Start from low speeds and slowly work your way up to say 50 Kmph over several weeks. Never practice on a road which has traffic. Be VERY careful with the front brake (squeeze it gently as you would an orange, DONT grab) as it can lock-up the wheel (RE bikes seem to have a particular problem with this). The possibility of wheel lock-up --- and then skidding and falling --- during an emergency situation is why you need to practice emergency braking in the first place.

for more info check this: Motorcycle Safety Site ("Motorcycle tips and techniques" )
Old 28th December 2009, 17:46   #102
Senior - BHPian

Oh I am very comfortable with my bike's handling and had tried most of the possible safety maneuvers a long time back.

The Classic is rather easygoing on the rider. It handles with awesome surety and the brakes never feel like locking up.

I am in no hurry to touch any high speeds! I probably won't even go to 100 after 3k kms. :P

I am very very paranoid about running my vehicles in properly. Chances are I will fall under a bus but not pull on the throttle. I know its irrational and I am working on reducing it.

Every time I do things even a bit different from the way they are to be done in my book, my heart just sinks. So, I was looking for someone to tell me that its okay... a 70 once in a blue moon won't kill my Bull.

On another note, I have been running it in exactly like you illustrated. I haven't held on to a speed yet, keep changing it continuously.

Another thing... Please help me make the seat more comfortable. I don't want to give up on the looks, but a bit of rear-side support would go a long way!
Old 28th December 2009, 18:11   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Another thing... Please help me make the seat more comfortable. I don't want to give up on the looks, but a bit of rear-side support would go a long way!
I am sorry I can't help you there. BTW, the TBTS seat is just sublime!
Old 28th December 2009, 22:38   #104
BHPian

Hey sorry for the bad quality of pictures. Clicked them just now in the office parking lot through my cell camera-n-flash.

Will click betters ones tomorrow and upload them if needed.

This seat works great when it comes to providing comfort and cushion to the back and trust me it ensures no backaches or fatigue as it actually feels like a sofa-seat. Even the rear seat has been customized to provide maximum comfort to the pillion.

Let me know if you need more details and I shall be obliged to help.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc00626.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc00627.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc00628.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc00629.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc00630.jpg  

Old 28th December 2009, 23:06   #105
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be quite a bit of extra padding. This was exactly what I was looking for. Even if the back isn't raised this much, a slight depression close to the end would make life easier.

What kind of foam do you have in this?

How difficult/easy is it to remove it? Thinking on the lines of using it only for long distance purposes. I have had too many bad experiences with people using keys/blades to see what you have inside the seat.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Most Viewed