Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 14:23   #1036
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Congrats swapnilup for the Bull.
@ swapnilup & Shakensoul: Did you get to ride the bike or just choose just by close examination? I saw Shakensoul mentioning 5 kms in the Odo. Quite a few new owners mention about extreme vibrations. The TD CL350 i took before booking was the worst, had i taken it during my first TD, I wouldn't have gone for one.
Old 10th October 2013, 16:33   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguprasad View Post
@ swapnilup & Shakensoul: Did you get to ride the bike or just choose just by close examination? I saw Shakensoul mentioning 5 kms in the Odo. Quite a few new owners mention about extreme vibrations. The TD CL350 i took before booking was the worst, had i taken it during my first TD, I wouldn't have gone for one.
Thank you
No I did not get to test ride, I was so overwhelmed by the fact that I am going to get the delivery in a week that I totally forgot, a dumb thing to do. And yes there are vibrations, can't call them extreme.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:58   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
Thank you
No I did not get to test ride, I was so overwhelmed by the fact that I am going to get the delivery in a week that I totally forgot, a dumb thing to do. And yes there are vibrations, can't call them extreme.
Thanks swapnilup for the update, good to hear that you got the delivery in a weeks time.Thumps Up
Old 11th October 2013, 09:31   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
Hey Shakensoul, similar story here, got it on the 5th
Can you please check the toolkit and see how many tools are there in it, my number doesn't match with the tools mentioned in the manual.
Toolkit is complete as per manual, though no first aid kit received and didn't bother asking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguprasad View Post
No TD taken of the chosen bike, the PDI goes for a toss in the excitement of the new bike.

No disturbing 'extreme' vibrations felt, just normal vibrations which is expected from a bullet, though haven't driven over 55-60 and not aware if vibrations would crop up at high speeds.

The gear shifts appear butter smooth though, surprising for a bullet

Also the stock seats are killing my back, not at all comfortable for long rides, don't know if that it due to incorrect riding posture as a first time bullet rider. Have to get rid of the spring seats and go for lower seats.

Last edited by Shakensoul : 11th October 2013 at 09:44.
Shakensoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 10:28   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Toolkit is complete as per manual, though no first aid kit received and didn't bother asking for it.

No TD taken of the chosen bike, the PDI goes for a toss in the excitement of the new bike.

No disturbing 'extreme' vibrations felt, just normal vibrations which is expected from a bullet, though haven't driven over 55-60 and not aware if vibrations would crop up at high speeds.

The gear shifts appear butter smooth though, surprising for a bullet

Also the stock seats are killing my back, not at all comfortable for long rides, don't know if that it due to incorrect riding posture as a first time bullet rider. Have to get rid of the spring seats and go for lower seats.
Thanks for the update Shakensoul, the reason I asked for about TD is know if we are allowed by any chance to feel the ride before we buy.

Seats of Classic gives us weird feel at times (wobbling effect) when we ride Bull as other bikes. I experienced the same when i took the TD, it was short enough to get a back pain. How far / long did you ride?
I think once we graduate to the right posture, it should feel heavenly cruising around the streets. Keep us posted on the seats.
Happy Thumping
Old 12th October 2013, 18:00   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post

Thanks for the update, went to the showroom and got it replaced. Judging by their reaction, I think this is quite common.
Old 13th October 2013, 21:18   #1042
BHPian

Getting a FE of 30kmpl

A picture of Black Thunder...
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_1779_1.jpg  

Shakensoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 11:22   #1043
BHPian

Is it possible to have a center locking & ignition mechanism for the classic?
It might deviate from classic terms (removing the side lock), but for comfort sake, can it be done?
If yes from where in Chennai & how much would it cost? Will it impact the company warranty?
Old 23rd October 2013, 02:41   #1044
BHPian

hi! everyone, have been following this thread religiously from the time i had booked my classic 350 it's almost 3 years now, i certainly din't want to start off with the complaints about my bike on this thread, but my bull had other plans!

I have clocked close to 17k on the odo.

I am facing a lot of issues in recent and a normal quick service din't fix it.
1)I heard a roar and a cracking sound from the engine generally in the first and second gear while down shifting and i am about to stop, the engine just gives the 'ceased' feeling and comes to a stop.
2)The bike when slowed down i.e down shifting when i depress the clutch the bike switches off. (even if idling is on the higher side)

Are both these issues caused by clutch plate/ clutch lever?

The major bomb of piston slap or the cam shaft noise which the SC people deny, persists and i am worried about it in long term.

Looking forward for help on these issues and will update on the issue if i get few more findings.

Thank you!

PS: Feels really great to be a part of this forum.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:22   #1045
BHPian

Am really getting restless (3 months completed) with the waiting period for my CL 350, booked in Besant Nagar, Chennai. Is there any way to close the gap in this particular showroom? Is there any other showroom in Chennai delivering sooner by any chance?
raguprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 15:37   #1046
BHPian

This video made for all the RE fans. Hope you'll enjoy this. It's a mash-up.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:16   #1047
BHPian

Booked my bull yesterday evening. Super-excited! Classic 350-Silver colour, in Royal Enfield Showroom, Nerul, Navi Mumbai. Showroom guy has said it would take 6-8 months for delivery (though he said he will try pushing it through within 5-6 months because of some sweet talking and apple polishing by me ). Does this happen? Do they do it or are they just hollow promises? And how good is the Nerul showroom? Has anyone faced problems with them?
So many questions already racing in my head. Cant wait for the D-Day. A long initial ownership review is something thats already on the cards.
Old 5th December 2013, 07:47   #1048
BHPian

Got my Black Classic 350 on Tuesday from CVS Motors, Bellary Road, Bangalore.

Dealership experience: I am assuming it is part of "Enfield" experience! Got call that allotment has come, I said will pick up in a week. Then for 3 weeks, only Maroon was available. Finally, black became available - went and paid full money on Nov 14th. Bike was supposed to be ready next week, but I didn't want to pick it up without registration. Some story about RTO suddenly changing rules about requiring a DD and 2.5 weeks later and shouting, got it on Tuesday, Dec 3rd. Filled up paperwork (which got lost for 20 minutes in a 5 meter area within the showroom when one guy handed it over to the next!), no bike in sight. Then the guy says bike is at service center which is half km (thankfully, downhill) and we've to go there to pick it up. I asked the guy twice to call up service center to ensure accessories (teflon coating and crash guard) are fixed - "it will all be done saaar". So, get to service center at 6:30pm, that guy hasn't been told at all about accessories. Anyway, Mr. Naveen there, the SA was very helpful, called up showroom (now the showroom guy says he can't find that I paid for all these - asked him to check the cover on which my papers were kept - he found it then). SA fixed up all these, gave me a demo and I was away by 7:30pm. Bike had 11km on delivery.

First Ride: First 100m were a bit scary - I am on the wrong side of 40, been driving only cars for several years and take my Pulsar for local errands not more than 500m - mainly with the weight. Then on, I guess the muscle memory came back on and it was great and got to my home at Koramangala without any event. Filled up petrol as well on the way.

Initial impressions are good. Stable bike. Kick started it on first try (didn't read the manual, so didn't realize clutch has to be disengaged for this - that made me think the the real first attempt caused the kicker to be loose). Last time I tried this was 20 years ago on my cousin's army issue bullet and the resulting scar is still on my calf muscle

Questions to experienced bikers: any help appreciated.

1. The disc brake fluid level (on the right side handlebar) seems to be less than minimum. Can't make out if it is there fully and the liquid is clear or if it is not there at all. Checked in another new Classic 350 which is yet to go for first service, but taken from another dealer - same story. Can't make out if I should worry about it.
2. Engine oil level also is hovering around minimum. There are no leaks at all. On Pulsar, one can clearly make out the level between the min and max lines - hence the worry.
3. While driving back from dealership, looks like some parts of the plastic cover on the crash guard had got attached to the exhaust. That is burned and sticking to the exhaust. I tried cleaning it off with water (don't want to rub with scrubber) and cloth. It is not going away. On shiny steel, 1-2 square inch of molten plastic is looking like an eyesore. Anyway to get it out?
4. I am taking her to office (which is only 4km away) now. Too much start and stop traffic which can't be good during running in period. Thinking of doing a sedate highway trip over the weekend to clock some 300km so that I can get the first service of 500km done quickly. Always done that with all my cars - is CL 350 reliable enough to attempt this?

Thanks!
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 11:17   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

vsbabu

With the bike resting on the center stand, rotate the handlebars fully to the right while looking at the brake mastercylinder window. I think you will see the fluid level drop so its upper level is visible. At least this works on my RE 500.

As for the oil level, place the motorcycle on a level surface resting on its centerstand.
Start the engine and let it run for 10-30 seconds and shut it off.
Wait for a minute or so for the oil in the upper areas of the engine to drain back down and then check the fluid level.
If it is anywhere between the lower and upper you have no worries.

Burned on plastic is difficult to remove without damaging the exhaust pipes chrome plating. You can try scraping it off with the edge of a wooden block but this usually isn't very successful.
Don't be tempted to use a steel knife. Although the steel is somewhat softer than the chrome plating, the plating is very thin and can be scratched. Once scratched, rust will find a way to damage the pipe.

The best approach is to ignore it and ride the bike. With enough high temperature exhaust going thru the pipe eventually the plastic will turn into carbon which the wooden block will be able to remove.

A nice casual ride can be a excellent way to break in your engine. Just be sure to vary the speed a bit while your riding.
If possible, its also a good idea to stop every so often and let the engine cool off.
This "thermal cycling" will allow the parts to gently adjust to one another, wearing off only the material that needs to be worn and no more.

While your riding, don't become fixated on the road or obstacles only in your immediate area. Glance ahead to see what the road conditions and dangers are well before you arrive at them. As you approach hazards, formulate a plan to avoid them as necessary.

Enjoy your motorcycling. It is one of the great pleasures in life.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 20:58   #1050
BHPian

One week and 120km over on my bike. Thanks to the help in this thread, could check oil level fine - brake fluid is still not very clear to see. A 20 min, 3km ride in Bangalore leaves the disc quite warm.

Suddenly from today evening onwards, some mouse like squeak - reasonably loud and 2-3 seconds long- from the gearbox. After some research, found that it is happening randomly at neutral or second gear when clutch is getting released - half clutch position.

It is not a problem with the cable - doesn't come when bike is off or on higher gears.

All riding so far has been with lot of clutch thanks to city traffic and some 6 signals during my office commute. Few times, I've been on higher gears at lower speeds causing minor lugging before I downshifted - not sure if that could have caused this.

Experts - any thoughts on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks