Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 04:06   #916
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ San : You got it right. Previously I thought : "Why on earth did I buy this bike which is struggling like hell to get upto 60 kph ?" But now it feels like riding a cruise missile !!
@ Vinjosep : Sorry for the quality of the pictures. Here they are anyway
Adrian
Thanks adrian! never mind the quality of the pics, got the idea as to what is where

Coming week I expect to be reunited with my bike after a hiatus of 8 months! Am sure your tip would come in handy.
Old 1st February 2012, 20:29   #917
BHPian

Hi friends

Adjusted that TPS thing in my Bullu today morning. (RE CL 350) as per @adrian's post.

Its too early to say I am flying on a Cruise missile etc but the feel is definitely different. The throttle feels very light now and I believe the engine runs a bit quiter. And from the increased nagging of my Pillion rider (aka wife) I think I was riding a bit faster than usual for the city commute.

I am yet to test the top speed and highway ride and fuel economy etc and with a single day's ride of less than 20km, its too early to admit that tweaking such a small matchbox can make me feel like I am dreaming and pinching myself occassionally to come out of it.

What exactly does the TPS do? Its not directly connected to the Carburettor, but is an electronic sensor- Does it alter the Ignition timing? And if it varies the performance in such a big way, then why is RE Service ignoring it? I also completed 4 free and one paid service but they never touched it. Any harmful side effects ?

I feel in case of RE Bulls, one is always learning and there is never an end to it. Just a few weeks back, I was boasting to a newbie's post thats its very difficult to get past 100kmph with RE CL 350. After that with a synthetic oil change and now with this TPS tweaking, I am afraid I will have to eat my words.

To borrow the words from a recent Hindi movie-
@adrian..jeee...Thuseee great ho yaar....

regards
san
Old 1st February 2012, 21:17   #918
BHPian

@ Vinjosep : 8 months !! Can't even think about parting with my bike for a day ! Happy reunion.

@ San : Hey friend, I am just a newbie trying to increase the performance of my bike by being fed up of the HH Splendors overtaking me AFAIK,the TPS changes the ignition timing with change in throttle position. I don't know what it is. could it be a variable resistor? Why are the experts of TBhp silent? Please help us with this
When the throttle is fully open, more fuel reaches the engine and the TPS speeds up the ignition and hence all fuel are burned efficiently resulting in more power and FE. There is no harm with tampering with the TPS unless we set it in advance. The symptoms being poor pickup when set in retarded position as our bike had been and engine heating up more than usual and high fuel consumption when set in advanced position. But once it is adjusted correctly, your bike will give you a good FE as well as power. As for the RE service I don't think they go through all the check list for a service. All you get is a water wash and an oil change if you are due for it.
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 1st February 2012 at 21:23. Reason: spelling mistake
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 12:44   #919
BHPian

Have booked a Classic 350(Colour:Silver) @ HSR Services,K.R Road and it has a waiting period of twelve months!
My classmate,who booked the same bike(& with the same colour) last month,will get his ride by July!
Six months difference in delivery dates,for booking my bike a month later is shocking!
OTR,now is 1.35Lakh(with upswept exhaust).
Can someone mention the waiting periods quoted by RE Brand store @Jayanagar?
I wanted to ride it before my 19th Birthday!
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-receipt2.jpg  

Last edited by Patriot_Vishwas : 12th February 2012 at 12:47.
Old 12th February 2012, 13:57   #920
BHPian

Quote:
@ San : Hey friend, I am just a newbie trying to increase the performance of my bike by being fed up of the HH Splendors overtaking me AFAIK,the TPS changes the ignition timing with change in throttle position. I don't know what it is. could it be a variable resistor? Why are the experts of TBhp silent? Please help us with this
When the throttle is fully open, more fuel reaches the engine and the TPS speeds up the ignition and hence all fuel are burned efficiently resulting in more power and FE. There is no harm with tampering with the TPS unless we set it in advance. The symptoms being poor pickup when set in retarded position as our bike had been and engine heating up more than usual and high fuel consumption when set in advanced position. But once it is adjusted correctly, your bike will give you a good FE as well as power. As for the RE service I don't think they go through all the check list for a service. All you get is a water wash and an oil change if you are due for it.
Regards Adrian
@adrian, Thanks! I just noticed your posts regarding TPS (first time I've heard of it ) My TBTS 2009 has been delivering poor FE for the past few months (36 kmpl, while before it used to give 40-42). I have been wondering why this is happening (am I riding too fast? Is the petrol bunk ripping me off? etc). Your suggestion of fixing the TPS is a good place to start from.

BTW, (1) seeing the yellow mark when the throttle is full on is good or bad? (2) What is the full form of TPS?

Thanks!

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 12th February 2012 at 13:59.
Old 12th February 2012, 19:21   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
@adrian, ... Your suggestion of fixing the TPS is a good place to start from.
Thanks!
Oops! Spoke too soon. I couldn't see anything like the push-rod/cable/TPS on my TBTS. It may be that the TBTS, although having a 350 UCE engine like the CL350, has a different mechanism for throttle control.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:36   #922
BHPian

Hi Rollin : I don't think you have spoken too soon. Check out the TBTS owners manual stating about the TPS.

As far as your first post, TPS is defined as Throttle position switch in the owners manual. From what the RE service guy said the TPS pushrod should start moving once we roll the throttle and as such the yellow marking comes out at full throttle. The use of the TPS is to induce timing change after 40% of throttle to produce more power and FE. I was afraid to tweak the TPS at first and so I adjusted it in such a manner that the TPS pushrod starts to move after I turn the throttle a wee bit and the yellow marking comes out at full throttle. After seeing the adjustments in a couple of uce engines, now I have adjusted it like the way the RE guy has advised. I am running with the adjustment for more than 3 weeks and all I can see is the positive signs. I recently removed the main spark plug and saw nothing unusual and no signs of bad timing, overheat etc. I am planning to do a plug chop again at WOT and see again (previously I had removed the plug after killing the engine from idle) Some internet sites say that pulling the spark plug out of an aluminium head while hot will damage the threads. So I am going to do the plugchop, wait till the engine temperature goes below 40 and then remove the plug. I have a good gradient near my home. I will ride up the gradient WOT, do the plug chop and coast down to my home in neutral and wait for the engine to cool down. Hope I get the readings right.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-tps.jpg  

Last edited by adrian : 12th February 2012 at 20:41.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:48   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Oops! Spoke too soon. I couldn't see anything like the push-rod/cable/TPS on my TBTS. It may be that the TBTS, although having a 350 UCE engine like the CL350, has a different mechanism for throttle control.
Couldnt believe TBTS doesnt have TPS. To confirm, I downloaded the Usermanual from net and checked- No mention of TPS. . That explains why RE service centre didnt adjust it in my services- They dont know what it is.

This means the ECU of RE Classic motorcycles must also be different taking into account the TPS inputs also. I wonder what else is different between TBTS 350cc UCE and Classic 350cc UCE. Till this time I was thinking only the Chassis and seat is different and they share identical engine.

regards
San

P.S: Oops- Posted too soon again- There is mention of TPS in the Mtce section as pointed out by @adrian

Last edited by stnair : 12th February 2012 at 20:52. Reason: Correction
Old 13th February 2012, 20:55   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rollin : I don't think you have spoken too soon. Check out the TBTS owners manual stating about the TPS.
@adrian Thanks for the trouble you've taken. But what I meant was: I can't see the push-rod and cable (that you showed in the CL350) in my TBTS. So I guess that mechanism is internal/hidden on my bike, and I will probably have to open something up to get to the TPS.

[sorry for this delay in replying. Long day at the office :( ]
Old 13th February 2012, 21:16   #925
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
TPS is cable operated.
Essentially does the same work as vacuum advance in cars with distributors.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th February 2012, 21:37   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
TPS is cable operated.
Essentially does the same work as vacuum advance in cars with distributors.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes, but where is it on the TBTS? (You have one, if I recall)
Old 13th February 2012, 21:45   #927
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Take of the seat. Operate the throttle. You'll see the end of a cable move a plunger in a small rectangular black box, the TPS.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 22:19   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
... Essentially does the same work as vacuum advance ...
Its slightly different, the 'advance' part here is manned by by pulser (pick up) coil itself. Tps is a secondary input. Can't say of RE but most others can run with Tps disconnected, some even (old cbz?) ran better so.
Old 13th February 2012, 22:32   #929
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Two major (and lots of minor) parameters influence best ign timing. The two major ones are rpm and load. The flywheel end cannot incorporate a load sensing mechanism. It can only handle the rpm based timing needs.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th February 2012, 10:39   #930
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Recently i observed some oil leakage from the engine kick region from my RE classic 350. Since it was already time for the 6k servicing, i dropped off the bike to the service center in my area (Auto Guides, Panaji, Goa) on 24th January.

In the evening i was informed that, the oil seal of the kick needs to be replaced. Since the oil seal was not in stock, i left the bike at the service center, who assured me that orders for the above spare has already been placed and it will be made available in 2-3 days.

After waiting for a week, on 31st January i mailed the royal enfield customer service regarding the non availability of spares and even spoke with the territory sales manager who assured me that spares will be made available on priority basis.

It has been two weeks since and the required oil seal is still not available. My bike is lying at the service center in god knows what condition. Kindly advice on further course of action.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks