Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 00:41   #1051
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Guyes.. my classic 350 is more than 3 years old and had done 10k on odo.. I am currently facing two issues with mu bull.
1) Engine noise - Engine sound has over the years changed considerably and it sounds as if something has stuck inside the engine. When i took it to my mechanic i was told that the connector has a play. So engine was opened and bearing were changed. But the engine sound still hasnt improved. Has anyone of you faced this issue. If yes can you pls let me know how have you dealt with it. Soon i will post a video clip of the sound so that you will have a better idea.
2) second issue is about how engine looks after three years. I clean my bike every week and i give equal attention to the body as well as crome parts. Despite if that the engine looks very old compared to the rest body parts. I have used all sorts of crome polishes but none of them have actually made it look new or shiny. Attached emage clearly suggests that the engine looks old compared to other body parts. Can someone pls let me know how to make it look new.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-upload.jpg  

Old 6th January 2014, 11:47   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
Guyes.. my classic 350 is more than 3 years old and had done 10k on odo.. I am currently facing two issues with mu bull.
2) second issue is about how engine looks after three years. I clean my bike every week and i give equal attention to the body as well as crome parts. Despite if that the engine looks very old compared to the rest body parts. I have used all sorts of crome polishes but none of them have actually made it look new or shiny. Attached emage clearly suggests that the engine looks old compared to other body parts. Can someone pls let me know how to make it look new.
Regarding second issue, use a rubbing compound like this http://www.snapdeal.com/product/waxp...-and/280645246

I have used the same product with good results.

Only use it on the aluminum engine parts. Take small amount of rubbing compound on a piece of cloth and rub in a circular motion. It will turn black, after sometime take a clean cloth and slowly keep rubbing the area and it should shine like new.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:41   #1053
BHPian

im a new owner of the classic 350.

have been confused big time on how to do the first start for the classic?
the dealer told me to do only kick(with choke if required),the vehicle manual says the same.
but many others tell to just kick start at first and use ES for rest of day.
Old 11th January 2014, 21:17   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
im a new owner of the classic 350.

have been confused big time on how to do the first start for the classic?
the dealer told me to do only kick(with choke if required),the vehicle manual says the same.
but many others tell to just kick start at first and use ES for rest of day.
Congratulations on your buy.
I was told only to use ES and I am doing that for the past 3 months now.
Will recheck with the service center guys.
Old 29th January 2014, 17:43   #1055
BHPian

I'm facing problems with ES. I get only a "tak-tak" sound from the starter relay when I press the ES switch. A couple of taps on the starter relay did not bring about any change.

However the engine fires to life on the first kick. The battery was also changed recently (as in last 2 weeks).

Any tips, pointers? Am sure someone else out there have faced the problem. A couple of times I did have the engine grinding to a halt (for lack of a better phrase to describe the associated screeching sound). However this is not a daily or a weekly occurrence, the screeching to a halt part.

Btw, this is a 2010 version of the CL350. So it doesn't have the latest sprag clutch for sure.

Thanks.

P.S.: Also found out that the starter relay has also undergone some change of design in the later versions.

Last edited by vinjosep : 29th January 2014 at 17:45.
Old 12th February 2014, 01:20   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhishek,
Use a Silvo polish for engine covers. This polish is very good for all aluminium, chrome and silver products. I have been using this since childhood... Directions are the same as in other cases..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Polis.../dp/B001CIZ5H2
Old 12th February 2014, 12:34   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
1) Engine noise - Engine sound has over the years changed considerably and it sounds as if something has stuck inside the engine. When i took it to my mechanic i was told that the connector has a play. So engine was opened and bearing were changed. But the engine sound still hasnt improved. Has anyone of you faced this issue. If yes can you pls let me know how have you dealt with it. Soon i will post a video clip of the sound so that you will have a better idea.
Did you get the connecting rod job done at RE service or with a local mechanic ? The engine sound in UCEs could be anything from the following :-
1. A lean carburetor (especially with a change in exhaust)
2. Exhaust header leak
3. Loose engine mounts
4. Cam gear lash
5. Faulty hydraulic lifters
6. Bend pushrods
7. Clutch trouble
8. Piston slap
9. Worn rocker arms
10. Valve guide damage
I think that you have been taken for a ride by the mechanic unless he checked for the listed problems before going for the rod job. You could have taken a second opinion from another trustworthy garage. Any way could you post the sound clip of the problem ?
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 12th February 2014 at 12:37. Reason: Typo
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 09:01   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Did you get the connecting rod job done at RE service or with a local mechanic ? The engine sound in UCEs could be anything from the following :-
1. A lean carburetor (especially with a change in exhaust)
2. Exhaust header leak
3. Loose engine mounts
4. Cam gear lash
5. Faulty hydraulic lifters
6. Bend pushrods
7. Clutch trouble
8. Piston slap
9. Worn rocker arms
10. Valve guide damage
I think that you have been taken for a ride by the mechanic unless he checked for the listed problems before going for the rod job. You could have taken a second opinion from another trustworthy garage. Any way could you post the sound clip of the problem ?
regards adrian
Mate

I did the engine job at a local mechanic but he is quite good. Its a place called Enfield riders where they organise Bullet rides from Mumbai to various places and they have their mechanics as well to do the repair work who are really good. I never take my biked to RE dealers even for servicing as i am never convinced with the kind of attention they give to the bikes. I have been to Yovage motors for servecing and the numbers of biked they service on a daily basis is unimaginably high. My bike sounded really weired before getting the engine job done and it was quite obvious that something was going wrong inside ( My technical understanding is very limited)

Offlate i have heard a lot about these UCE engines getting seized quite frequently on a log rides. Two of my friends had their engines seized when they went to ladakh last year. Even i am taking my classic 350 to ladakh this July. Hope the engine holds up. I have really looked after my bike since i got 3 years ago but this engine worries are making me mad. I even thought abt selling my bike if i get to a conclusion that this engine issues is not fixed.
Abhishekjp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 10:19   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Mate
Offlate i have heard a lot about these UCE engines getting seized quite frequently on a log rides. Two of my friends had their engines seized when they went to ladakh last year.
UCE engines are sturdy ones and the cases of engines getting seized are those which are not properly run in or the ones in which proper maintenance are not done. What I meant is that you get a seized engine when you run in the bike in the city traffic and one fine morning you head to highway and give the throttle full blast. You have to run in the bike to the 100 kph mark at first and it takes time. My ride is a 2011 standard and some times I think that the machine is going to fall apart due to the sound After a lot of worrying and sleepless nights I found out it is simply because of cam gear lash which the RE service should have rectified in the first free service. All they did was to assure me that it is the normal engine sound in the UCEs. Just run in your bike to the 100kph mark before going full blast to the highway and you will be fine. All the best for your ladakh trip buddy
regards adrian
Old 12th March 2014, 17:30   #1060
BHPian

I have a 2013 model and inspite of Indian Railways trying their best to destroy my precious during transportation from Punjab to Pune, It has survived rather well and ageing beautifully. Since day 1, there has been a minor niggle in the form of a clatter from the fuel tank, as if some nut is stuck inside and is constantly getting pushed all around the tank. Service guys at the dealership say there is no need for the entire tank to be dismantled for such a minor problem and there is no cause of worrying as engine is well protected via a filter in the petrol tank.
Old 13th March 2014, 10:33   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
I have a 2013 model and inspite of Indian Railways trying their best to destroy my precious during transportation from Punjab to Pune, It has survived rather well and ageing beautifully. Since day 1, there has been a minor niggle in the form of a clatter from the fuel tank, as if some nut is stuck inside and is constantly getting pushed all around the tank. Service guys at the dealership say there is no need for the entire tank to be dismantled for such a minor problem and there is no cause of worrying as engine is well protected via a filter in the petrol tank.
Make sure that the noise is from the fuel tank and not the engine. Engine knocking also called pinging also called pre-detonation all sound like they could be from the fuel tank area.

If you are sure that the sound is from the fuel tank, then removing the tank and turning it upside down is the easiest thing in the world
Old 13th March 2014, 11:17   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Make sure that the noise is from the fuel tank and not the engine. Engine knocking also called pinging also called pre-detonation all sound like they could be from the fuel tank area.

If you are sure that the sound is from the fuel tank, then removing the tank and turning it upside down is the easiest thing in the world
Thanks John doe, although I am sure the noise is from the fuel tank but still would try to verify your suggestion. This rattling inside the tank occurs randomly and is absent most of the times. I think knocking would be much more consistent in its occurrence. I also believe I would be able to recognize engine knocking when I hear one, but still wouldn't want to take any chances with the Classic.
Old 10th April 2014, 10:52   #1063
BHPian

My Classic 350 had covered 1200km and the first 2 services. Spur of the moment decision and off I drove to Coonoor solo last week. Came back next day. Excellent fun! Few photos and the google map tracker (output from a small app I wrote) are available. While coming back, I saw a couple on a standard 500 on Mysore - Bangalore highway; that bike accelerated like anything and I am sure was cruising at 120kmph minimum; he just disappeared from my view though I was at 80kmph. Wondering if I should upgrade
Old 24th April 2014, 12:19   #1064
BHPian

Is it possible to fit a Classic Chrome tank on a CL350?

My friend really likes the looks of a Classic Chrome and is planning to convert his black CL350 to Classic Chrome, so please suggest guys.
Also does anybody know the cost of a new classic chrome tank, read mud guard and front mud guards?

Vijay
Old 6th May 2014, 11:54   #1065

Dear BHPians,

My classic350 is due for delivery in less than a month, I have got a call that the bike is allotted and I am in process of closing things on payment front.

Just wanted to know the important things to remember while getting the bull delivered and the important accessories that I have to go in for..please help with suggestions.

--Pramod.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks