Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 11:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

There will be no problem as long as you stick to the original size (2.75 X 18.00 - 4 PR) for the front. Even if you up size to three, the problem will be speedo error, nothing else. For the rear you can easily go for 3.00 X 18.00 size.

My shogun came shod with TVS Srichakra tyres and my impression about them was not at all good. I would suggest MRF.
Old 27th January 2010, 16:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Those Shrichakras were horrible tyres for grip. However, TVS and MRF tyres are also not known for grip. They might be the last ones you want to look at if grip is important. The exception might be the Zapper Q which is supposed to be of a different compound (not used it myself though).

For grip, think about Ceat or Dunlop (may vary depending on model). Best is supposed to be Michellin, but they are pricier.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th January 2010 at 16:06.
Old 27th January 2010, 21:33   #18
BHPian

Friends
Actually I am interested to put jumbo on front because of beautiful thread design. And as the jumbo is designed for rear wheel only, it is not available in less than 6 ply.
Slightly heavy handle will be there but I am just worried about cornering. It happened sometime when we bound to apply little brake at corner because of traffic conditions or we have to take sudden turn to avoid collision. In these types of situation, will this combination (TVS Jumbo 2.75 x 18 at front & 3.00x 18 at rear) make any negative effect? Or jumbo at front will give me better stability overall?
Old 27th January 2010, 21:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Friends
Actually I am interested to put jumbo on front because of beautiful thread design. And as the jumbo is designed for rear wheel only, it is not available in less than 6 ply.
Slightly heavy handle will be there but I am just worried about cornering. It happened sometime when we bound to apply little brake at corner because of traffic conditions or we have to take sudden turn to avoid collision. In these types of situation, will this combination (TVS Jumbo 2.75 x 18 at front & 3.00x 18 at rear) make any negative effect? Or jumbo at front will give me better stability overall?
If you are asking whether installing a rear (non-rib) tread pattern at front will cause any issues, no, it won't, if you stick to 2.75 X 18 - 4 PR size. In fact it will give you better all round grip than the rib type, at a slightly lower mileage. Don't lean too much in corners.

I would rather not install a 6 PR tyre in front though.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th January 2010 at 21:56.
Old 19th February 2012, 02:31   #20
BHPian

Re: Splendor+ - Correct Rear Tire Upgrade??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There will be no problem as long as you stick to the original size (2.75 X 18.00 - 4 PR) for the front. Even if you up size to three, the problem will be speedo error, nothing else.

I have queries regarding this.. (i.e front tyre)

In recent times after the advent of disc breaks i have noticed that the straight lined tyres aren't supplied with the bike. (this may be because of more effective braking with the disc) But also have noticed that mostly all ribbed/ lined tyres have a lighter steering and more easier maneuverability than the different pattern type ones (for eg the zappers).

I have installed my Yamaha Rx with the disc break up front, my mechanic is adamant that i use only ribbed line ones. And now i am confused with the following:

1) What tyre to go for front? (the ribbed or the cross patterned)
2) If the design pattern ones like the Michelin m45 then can i upgrade it to 3.00/18 or i should stick to any 2.75/18 ones?

Pls advice, the experienced guys also do help me out here.
Old 19th February 2012, 07:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Splendor+ - Correct Rear Tire Upgrade??

^^As you have observed, the rib pattern offers less rolling ressistance. Also a (very) little improved FE. And for leaning in to curves, they will be better than the rear tyre pattern. Since you have disc in front, go for regular ribs or better, zappers. I have no idea about the Michelins.

If the rear tyre size is 3.00 X 18, stick to 2.75 X 18 for front, though there will be no problem with the upsize. I would prefer to have a slightly smaller tyre in front (due to the slight difference in side wall height, though inner dia will be the same).

Last edited by Gansan : 19th February 2012 at 07:23.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks