Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 15:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Splendor+ - Correct Rear Tire Upgrade??

We are picking up a splendor+ shortly for family usage by my dad, uncle and few cousins as and when needed.

Had been with my cousins over the weekend to the Hero Honda showroom to have a look at the bike. Everything seems ok with the bike except for the rear tire to me. Its so damn thin that it reminded me of Hero Ranger Cycle tires a decade ago.

I dont have any riding experience on a splendor. So I am not sure if this THIN rear tire will serve the purpose of city commute or if an upsize is required.

Reaching out to T-Bhpian's to help me with the same. If the upgrade can be done, what is the right size so that it does not affect the ride and handling of the bike.

-Abhi
Old 14th December 2009, 15:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try 3x18. Does splendor still have 2.75x18 as stock size?
Old 14th December 2009, 15:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Try 3x18. Does splendor still have 2.75x18 as stock size?
Thanks and yes Splendor has 2.75X18 as stock size for both front and back. The rim sizes are 18X1.60

Any brand names for good road grip and will it be a direct fit on the existing rim?
Old 14th December 2009, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Upgrade to 3.00x18 or 90/90x18 anything above this is overkill.

You can try michelin m-45 its available at millivisons krumbigal road near lalbagh.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Remember that a broader tyre will reduce acceleration times and fuel efficiency on the low powered splendor engine. M45 would be best, but it is pricier. If you want an average priced tyre, consider a Dunlop or Ceat. Softer compound = better grip and lower life.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Upgrade to 3.00x18 or 90/90x18 anything above this is overkill.

You can try michelin m-45 its available at millivisons krumbigal road near lalbagh.
Great.. Thanks a lot praJEEP.

I am assuming that they are a direct fit to the existing rim and dont need the rim to be changed..??
Old 14th December 2009, 16:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Remember that a broader tyre will reduce acceleration times and fuel efficiency on the low powered splendor engine. M45 would be best, but it is pricier. If you want an average priced tyre, consider a Dunlop or Ceat. Softer compound = better grip and lower life.
Thanks Raccoon & yes I am aware that the FE and acceleration will be reduced.

Hence i dont want a very broad tire as well. Am thinking of a wider tire than the stock but not something which is an overkill for the bike.
Don't want the ride and handling to be affected a lot by this upgrade since it will be used by middle agers as well as youngsters sometimes.

EDIT: Sorry mods! Did not notice that I had posted 2 continuous posts back to back. Not sure how to multi quote the messages once posted.. Apologies!!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 14th December 2009 at 16:41.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

The stock tyre on my Y2K Splendor wasl 2.75 X 18 - 4 PR, so I suppose it will be the same for the Splendor+ as well. It will be perfectly ok for city use, no problems. I wore out the original Dunlop, replaced with MRF Nylogrip of the same size (rear tyre), and after that too wore out recently, fitted a 3.00 X 18 - 6 PR MRF Motocross tyre. This has increased the dia of the wheel slightly and resulted in a mileage loss of about 3 KMPL, otherwise I am happy. It is 5000 Km since I fitted it. I have a suspicion it will wear out my clutch a little earlier, only time will tell.

My front tyre was also Dunlop OEM, which I later replaced with a Ceat Secura of the same size. This will also have to be replaced after another 10k KM, but I will stick to the same size for the front wheel, because upsizing will lead to speedo/odo errors as well. Even Unicorns run on the same size front rubber, so why should it bother a Splendor!

Last edited by Gansan : 14th December 2009 at 16:55.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The stock tyre on my Y2K Splendor wasl 2.75 X 18 - 4 PR, so I suppose it will be the same for the Splendor+ as well. It will be perfectly ok for city use, no problems. I wore out the original Dunlop, replaced with MRF Nylogrip of the same size (rear tyre), and after that too wore out recently, fitted a 3.00 X 18 - 6 PR MRF Motocross tyre. This has increased the dia of the wheel slightly and resulted in a mileage loss of about 3 KMPL, otherwise I am happy. It is 5000 Km since I fitted it. I have a suspicion it will wear out my clutch a little earlier, only time will tell.

My front tyre was also Dunlop OEM, which I later replaced with a Ceat Secura of the same size. This will also have to be replaced after another 10k KM, but I will stick to the same size for the front wheel, because upsizing will lead to speedo/odo errors as well. Even Unicorns run on the same size front rubber, so why should it bother a Splendor!
Thanks Gansan! If the rear tire is suiting city use perfectly well, then I think for the occasional highway rides of about 100kms round trip by the others should not really warrant an upgrade.

And definitely the front rubber will remain the same. No upgrades for the front. I was only worried about the rear and after your post I am thinking if it really needs an upgrade at all!!
Old 14th December 2009, 17:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks Gansan! If the rear tire is suiting city use perfectly well, then I think for the occasional highway rides of about 100kms round trip by the others should not really warrant an upgrade.

And definitely the front rubber will remain the same. No upgrades for the front. I was only worried about the rear and after your post I am thinking if it really needs an upgrade at all!!
Better use up the current tyres and when it is time for replacement, go for a 3.00X18-6PR for the rear. In my book time for replacement is actually while about 15% of the original tread still remains on the tyre!
Old 14th December 2009, 17:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. I seriously don't think a Splendor warrants a tyre upsize. I'd suggest using the stock tyre ...and consider a upsize only when you need to change it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th December 2009 at 17:51.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better use up the current tyres and when it is time for replacement, go for a 3.00X18-6PR for the rear. In my book time for replacement is actually while about 15% of the original tread still remains on the tyre!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
+1 to that. I seriously don't think a Splendor warrants a tyre upsize. I'd suggest using the stock tyre and... and consider a upsize only when you need to change it.
Thanks a lot to every one. Decision taken!! No upgrade till the current ones are worn out.

Thanks to all specially Gansan and Raccoon!!
Old 30th December 2009, 14:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification . I also need a tyre replacement for my Splendor . Planning to go for either 2.75 x 18 / 3.00 x 18 MRF Nylon Grip .Which one you suggest.
My riding will be restricted only in city and that too not more that 60-65 km / hr
I enquired the Price MRF Nylon Grip 2.75 cost Rs 900 and 3.00 cost Rs 1150 . Also how is the performance of 3.00 X 18 - 6 PR MRF Motocross tyre. Do you recommend this . Motocross is Rs 50 costlier than the Nylon Grip.Do you think the Quote for these tyres are resonable ?
Old 30th December 2009, 14:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
Thanks for the clarification . I also need a tyre replacement for my Splendor . Planning to go for either 2.75 x 18 / 3.00 x 18 MRF Nylon Grip .Which one you suggest.
My riding will be restricted only in city and that too not more that 60-65 km / hr
I enquired the Price MRF Nylon Grip 2.75 cost Rs 900 and 3.00 cost Rs 1150 . Also how is the performance of 3.00 X 18 - 6 PR MRF Motocross tyre. Do you recommend this . Motocross is Rs 50 costlier than the Nylon Grip.Do you think the Quote for these tyres are resonable ?
It is actually 3.00 X 18, 6 PR Moto-C tyre. I wrongly typed as Motocross. I am happy with the tyre and it is definitely better than the 2.75 X 18, 4 PR Nylogrip it replaced. The bike now rides much smoother on rough patches. Mileage loss was very minimal (2 - 3 KMPL). I think I paid Rs 1200 for it inclusive of vat.
Old 27th January 2010, 11:19   #15
BHPian

Friends
I am also in same confusion but for front tyre of my splendor.
Actually a tyre replacement for both front & rear is due in my splendor bike.
I want to put TVS JUMBO 3.00X 18 at rear & TVS JUMBO 2.75X 18 at front.
At rear there will be no problem but is it (TVS JUMBO 2.75X18) correct at front?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks