Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 11:06   #1
BHPian

Low emission

A few months ago my scooter's emission was rising by about .7 units every time I checked in 6 months which before was only rising by .2 units in the period.
The vehicle was not running smooth, used to stall at low speeds and had starting problems also in a few weeks time the carburetor was accumulating fine dust inside and getting clogged.
After my mechanics and service centers I finally tried to check the problems myself.
Just removed the carb and air filter and thoroughly cleaned all jets , orifices and everything and cleaned the air filter too. I observed that the air filter was
not properly seated due to which dust used to escape in and clog the carb and the jets causing all the problems.
Re fitter the air filter properly and re-tuned the carburetor.
Lo and behold, this time my emission reduced from 2.37 to .55.
The vehicle starts with one kick, does not stall anymore and runs smooth.

So you see, if the air filter, carburetor are all clean and the engine is tuned properly the emission reduces a lot.

This applies to the cars as well.
Old 19th December 2009, 09:38   #2
BHPian

Hi Guru,
Good diagnostics. In most cases I prefer to locate the problem myself, as it mostly happens that the mechanics ask you to replace components one after the other and produce you an expensive bill, and the problem is still unsolved.

-Ilango
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:02   #3
BHPian

Thanks ilangop

Mechanics are still mechanics and have limited technical knowledge.
I have suffered from their mistakes, like putting acid in battery instead of distilled water.
Lubricating bearings with oil instead of grease, smearing air filter with engine oil ( trying to make a kind of K&N filter) etc .. etc..

Most Viewed