Team-BHP - Motorcycle trailer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Motorcycle trailer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/71917-motorcycle-trailer.html)

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying/building a trailer for my bike. Don't ask me why :D. I always wanted a jeep with a trailer but no jeep no trailer so thinking of building/buying for my RE. Apart from this, one sane reason is that I travel with my costly fishing/camping gear and most of time I feel very uncomfortable leaving it outside dhaba’s /loo etc. So I want something more secure. Anybody used any trailer for his/her bike or I am the only crazy one?

During my search I came across these designs.

One tire Inder trailer specially for RE (It’s a bit small for my needs but seems less heavy)

Motorcycle trailer-indertralier.jpg

Two tyre rover.

Motorcycle trailer-ygp4a4.jpg

Do you think these above two designs can survive Ladakh circuit?
Will I need special permission from RTO to make it road legal?
Any problems I can face while driving with these trailers?
How much load stock RE 350 can take?
Any design tips?
Any suggestion? (Apart from don't be crazy) :D
Any Warnings?

-Ijeet

Was out and about in traffic today, when I saw a bike with a sidecar, and strangely, your crazy idea thread came to mind. Have you thought along that route? I have seen several types of sidecars fitted to scooters and bikes, varying from crudely built ones to fairly well done units. Maybe you can convert the seating area to a lockable storage area?

Just a random thought. Cheers.

Hi guys,

What all matters come in our forums. Really amazing photos of the trailers. Do you think the RTO's will permit us to use these traitors.

Hey Ijeet,

Risky business, lots of research required for ride safety, balance, RTO approval etc. If you are sure about it then try to get something with lower height and two tires. Not trying to discourage you but ever tried pulling a strolly suitcase with your hand and suddenly changing directions.
By the way in the first picture isn't a lot of stuff is supposed to be on other side of the RE i.e. silencer, kick lever etc.

Regards

Pranav

Hey Ijeet,

Risky business, lots of research required for ride safety, balance, RTO approval etc. If you are sure about it then try to get some thing of lower height and two wheels, You can get some compartment fabricated on the rear seat of the bike itself if you travel alone. Not trying to discourage you but ever tried to pull a strolly suitcase with one hand and suddenly changing direction.
By the way in the first picture isn't a lot of stuff is supposed to be on the other side of the RE i.e. silencer, kick lever etc.

Regards

Pranav

Ijeet,
Here are couple pics of a yezdi with trailer. These pics are from "Celebrations of Internationa Jawa CZ Yezdi day 2008" where they had organised a ride to CCD Ramanagara.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 1645238)
Was out and about in traffic today, when I saw a bike with a sidecar, and strangely, your crazy idea thread came to mind. Have you thought along that route? I have seen several types of sidecars fitted to scooters and bikes, varying from crudely built ones to fairly well done units.
Just a random thought. Cheers.

A motorcycle with a sidecar is a good way to go, if you want to tour. I have one too. But I think the Indian RTO no longer permits NEW sidecar attachments to New scooters or New motorcycles. What you see on the roads are very old registrations.

There is a trailer called Pav and it is no more in production. This trailers are very common in JAWA bikes. Reason for the same is that the Pav trailers were manufactured in the Czech Republic, originally by "AVIA n.p". and later by "KOVOZAVODY SEMILY" by the Jawa company.

You get a lots of ideas about these trailer designs from their official website: Pav Trailers

If only you are time to browse a very interesting site, please have your browser redirected to this url rl: http://www.singlewheel.com/

They have many company details who mfgd trailers for Cars, Bikes and Scooters.

Enjoy, one of those design should help you hold a trailer with your bike.

I'm only thinking how much of time we are behind the rest of Automobile world, all these ideas were tested elsewhere when we see them as Crazy ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijeet (Post 1641171)
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying/building a trailer for my bike. Don't ask me why :D. I always wanted a jeep with a trailer but no jeep no trailer so thinking of building/buying for my RE. Apart from this, one sane reason is that I travel with my costly fishing/camping gear and most of time I feel very uncomfortable leaving it outside dhaba’s /loo etc. So I want something more secure. Anybody used any trailer for his/her bike or I am the only crazy one?

because you were going to tell that anyway? lol:

these can work on american highways. but ladakh, I doubt. you are going to camp/fish in ladakh? You should be thinking about reducing your load, not increasing t, when going to ladakh.

Motorcycle trailer-motorcycle_trailer.jpg

Very interesting. The trailor option opens up a world of possibilities, but I think it will make the bike unstable. A side car IMHO is a better option

Would it be possible to fabricate and mount something (like a box) on the bike itself rather than have it trail behind u??

It would be much safer in Indian conditions and the bike would be more stable. Dont you think?

Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sans (Post 1645353)
Ijeet,
Here are couple pics of a yezdi with trailer. These pics are from "Celebrations of Internationa Jawa CZ Yezdi day 2008" where they had organised a ride to CCD Ramanagara.

Thanks for the pics of the Jawa with the trailer.

Quote:

How much load stock RE 350 can take?
I once towed another RE using my thunderbird for about 70 odd kms.
The road was the Solapur-Indapur stretch.

Do not worry about the load carrying capacity.

Hi. I'm a senior citizen and have been an avid biker. With age I feel unsafe on a two wheeler, specially with the rush of traffic. I have not been able to figure out if I can install legally a side car on my RE. , although I have installed one, but worry about being pulled over by the cops.

My questions are:
1. Is it legal to install a sidecar? What is the relevant reference in the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988? I could not find any reference. Has anybody here filed an RTI?
2. If it is legal, is it then possible to import a sidecar to install on a larger bike / superbike and what would be the custom duty on the same?
Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated.
Many thanks