Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2008, 23:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

1st Bike - Hunk/Pulsar/RTR/Unicorn? EDIT- Its a Hunk

Hey Guys,

I have decided to take the plunge and be a biker finally!!! Now, that my office is merely 10 kilometers from my home, I have decided to buy a 150 cc commuter bike and as you can see from the options that I have selected, I am a bit confused. Before I ask for your suggestions, I would like to give the following information:

About Me:

My height is about 5.8" (in Feet) So considering this, I have to select a bike as I need a comfortable riding position. And I am about 24 years of age. So looks are essential too.

Showroom/Service Centers:

All the four models I have mentioned have their showroom and service centers within a 4 km radius of my home. The nearest one is the Hero Honda which is 5 mins walk away.

Loan/cash:

Should I take a loan or buy the bike in cash? If loan, whats the ideal EMI I should opt for? 24 months or 36?

I am more inclined towards the Hunk (Panther black) considering the features its offering and the price it is available at. Second option is the Unicorn and 3rd is Pulsar. I didn't find the RTR comfortable enough for my height as its a short bike.

Please advise!
Old 11th May 2008, 00:32   #2
BHPian

If I were you i would go with the Unicorn.
Old 11th May 2008, 01:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

RTR all the way. Uni has a fantastic engine, but you want style and oomph and acceleration. RTR it is. roz do teen rupiye uni se bacha ke kya ukhaad loge
Old 11th May 2008, 02:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
RTR all the way. Uni has a fantastic engine, but you want style and oomph and acceleration. RTR it is. roz do teen rupiye uni se bacha ke kya ukhaad loge
Arre! What about Hunk?
Old 11th May 2008, 02:43   #5
BHPian

Unicorn is the way to go Bro--- best bike in 150cc class
Engine is butter Smooth
Good resale value
55+ average
Pick up is pretty decent
mono suspension= comfortable ride

Understand this man having a fast pickup wont help you much in mumbai traffic as you will have to halt at every signal so why hurry when you have to stop at next signal or crossing.....

However if you just wish for speed go for RTR

Good luck
Old 11th May 2008, 05:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

between the options you have metioned I would go for te Hunk any day matey
Old 11th May 2008, 11:45   #7
BHPian

Stay Away from Pulsar--otherwise you can go ahead with Unicorn, Hunk or RTR (I found it very uncomfortable to ride though). If you like Hunk looks, go ahead with that...
Old 11th May 2008, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think Unicorn with its present set of stylish alloys and the colors is the bike to be owned as i had it when it was first launched and pretty much stock.

Regarding the loan, i think there are options from the banks and it should not be a problem once you nail down the bike you wish to buy.

I have driven the pulsar too which is stylish as well. Not sure about the Hunk and RTR , but for RTR i ain't sure about its comfort and ride quality as i had seen many folks complain @ my workplace.
Old 11th May 2008, 11:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

not the hunk because it has neither the style/oomph of RTR nor the mileage of uni. it is lost between the two.
Old 11th May 2008, 11:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Pulsar is good. I am using one for almost 4 yrs and no problems at all.

Unicorn is too outdated and commuter oriented. I wouldnt go for it. Unless you are looking for a very comfortable commuter 150cc bike.

Hunk... Well, it looks pathetic and the name is even worse than it's looks. Enough for me to puke.

RTR is the best bike. Do test ride it and decide.

First choice ---> RTR 160
Second ---> Pulsar.

Unicorn only if you dont want a sporty bike.

The ride comfort of the Pulsar is the best among these bike and will be useful on the roads. The RTR handles better than the Hunk which is better than the Pulsar but you are not going to be taking it to the track anyway. For normal day t oday riding and the occassional trip to the hills, you will not realise the difference between these bikes when it comes to handling.

The Pulsar's engine is a bit harsh, but then I find that it's got character. You know the engine is alive and raring to go.

The transmission quality on the new Pulsars is right up there with TVS and Hero Honda. My Pulsar has a sad transmission. Not the new ones though.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2008, 12:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to RTR

Good pickup, excellent handler & decent mileage(55kpl) the best mix of power & mileage.
Old 11th May 2008, 12:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot buddies. I have decided to go in for the Hunk! Good Looks or Bad looks, it is surely a head turner! I just paid the booking amount of mere 500 INR and will make the entire payment on 15th of this month. Was planning to go in for loan but decided against it, as the actual cost of the bikes 2 years down the line becomes 65K + 23K (interest) = 88,000 INR

The freebies that I would be getting post this are Teflon Coating, Hand grip, buzzer and Seat cover.

My first priority is to buy a good helmet now. Any Pointers? I am planning to go in for a full face helmet with good ventilation and air circulation. Budget about 1200/1500 INR. It should be a combination of light weight, good looks and ISI certified!

Last edited by amtak : 11th May 2008 at 12:49.
Old 11th May 2008, 13:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought an AGV helmet and I regret it. I spent 2.4k on it and it is lousy.

But a friend has a similar AGV helmet and his is so much better. If I hold his helmet, I can actually feel the difference between my helmet and his. I think I got stuck with a fake or a lemon.

I was a noob. Make sure whatever helmet you buy, the build quality is good, no creaks and squeaks.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hey Guys,

I have decided to take the plunge and be a biker finally!!! Now, that my office is merely 10 kilometers from my home, I have decided to buy a 150 cc commuter bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Thanks a lot buddies. I have decided to go in for the Hunk! Good Looks or Bad looks, it is surely a head turner!
Good Decision!

Hunk (Sorry Pal! This name sounds yuck, not the bike though!) is a good bike for Commuters for it is substantially large and has a wee bit upright riding posture. Make no mistakes, Unicorn is a great commuter too with an ultra reliable engine, but I cannot say the same about it's fiber parts, they go kaput soon.

Apache RTR is a great ride for bikers, not commuters!

For Helmets, do check out the KBC range, they have some good helmets in their line up. May be you'll have to pimp your budget up a little though!

Last edited by five46 : 12th May 2008 at 12:53.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hunk looks stunning, I think if they plonk the ZMA engine it would be killer bike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks