Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Help : Restoring My P180

My 2005 dec model p180 has almost done 34k kms and is detereorating fast .
The bike is stock condition.
I used to service the bike with oil change every 3.5-3k at bajaj SC .Since last year the bike has not covered that much as i'm using my car more.The paint has faded and the black paint from the engine started peeling here and there .
The end can is rusted from at outlet and some parts fell off making the diameter of the exhaust outlet same as that of the can.How ever the the exhaust note has not yet changed.
Last month me and my bike fell off when the front tyre skided resulting in scarthed head lamp and fairing as well as bend crash guard.
When the front wheel is rotated freely the discs are scrapping on the brake calipers .Is this coz wheel is bent or some issue with discs.
The sc guy told that for 7-8 bucks they will strip and repaint the bike.
The bike is vibrating a lot and there is lack of power.
I'm planning to take the bike to SC this week .
Please let me know what points/areas should i need to check or replace during the service considering the kms covered.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Do show your motorcycle to a reputed garage and take a quote from them too...
Old 31st December 2009, 11:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
My 2005 dec model p180 has almost done 34k kms and is detereorating fast .
The bike is stock condition.
I used to service the bike with oil change every 3.5-3k at bajaj SC .Since last year the bike has not covered that much as i'm using my car more.The paint has faded and the black paint from the engine started peeling here and there .
The end can is rusted from at outlet and some parts fell off making the diameter of the exhaust outlet same as that of the can.How ever the the exhaust note has not yet changed.
Last month me and my bike fell off when the front tyre skided resulting in scarthed head lamp and fairing as well as bend crash guard.
When the front wheel is rotated freely the discs are scrapping on the brake calipers .Is this coz wheel is bent or some issue with discs.
The sc guy told that for 7-8 bucks they will strip and repaint the bike.
The bike is vibrating a lot and there is lack of power.
I'm planning to take the bike to SC this week .
Please let me know what points/areas should i need to check or replace during the service considering the kms covered.
If its just painting take it to Venus Motors Veli, i have seen them painting a bullet and a splendor and trust me both looked fresh out of shwroom. Give them my refrence they will give you some nice discount. The contact person is deepu (SA) 9447324644

Pramod
Old 31st December 2009, 11:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please post a pics of the bike in present conditions , lets have a look .Without looking suggestions will be like shooting in dark.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:53   #5
BHPian

on a more generic note, bajaj as an OEM should be ashamed. i have seen too many pulsars deteriorating too fast in the past years.
bullboy,
if your engine is not giving enough power, its not attributable to one particular problem. its just that all the parts in the powertrain have deteriorated. cumulatively, they give bad power.
if you are keen on getting back performance from the bike, replace the block, piston and entire cylinder head.
if you are serious about getting your bike into shape, do it so after you are certain that all parts are available. bajaj used to have a board showing what all parts they have new on the bike every week! thus making a lot of old parts out of stock.
also if you are going to have the biike opened, i would like to see the pics of two things: 1. the magneto and the rust on it and 2. wear on camshaft
pls put up posts of the bike in the condition it is as of date.
that way, members can help in inputs as to what would be the most economical way to get the jobs done...
cheers
nitro
Old 31st December 2009, 12:10   #6
BHPian

Thanks friends . I only have my phone cam now and i'll get my friends cam to take some pics.
Thanks pramod .
Since the exhaust is rusted , i need to replace it .any thoughts on this , any after market ones ? or should i go for OEM ?
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:50   #7
BHPian

Posting some pics on the existing condition of the bike
Attached Thumbnails
Help : Restoring My P180-img_0013.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0014.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0015.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0016.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0017.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0018.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0019.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0020.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0021.jpg  

Help : Restoring My P180-img_0022.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2010, 10:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Your 1st post made me think very seriously, man. I also own a Pulsar 180 (2007) though I had covered >30,000 kms myself being in India till mid of 2008. Is this the Bajaj quality? Bike peeling off and feeling lack of power at just 34,000 kms?

Honestly, from the pics I can tell the exhaust needs attention but a fresh paint job (worth 7000-8000/- INR) for this much peeling on engine doesn't make sense to me.

Please get the bike washed and waxed, change the headlight glass (and visor if there is any damage on it), take a good mechanic's advise on the exhaust (repair or replacement), get the dent on the fuel tank removed and your bike should look good cosmetically.

For engine work, again I would suggest you to take advise from a good mechanic to get to the bottom of the issue.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:23   #9
BHPian

Why i thought of a paint job is because the engine and exhaust color has changed to a brownish black. also the end weights is also rusting.There some deep scratches on the bosy as well.
Regarding the exhaust can this be repaired ?I think the rust is deep inside the exhaust.
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:15   #10
BHPian

The exhaust quality from Bajaj is very poor I thought it has been improved with newer models but it seems to be deteriorating much more.

Regards

Pranav
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:16   #11
BHPian

The glass wool is coming out I think silencer should be replaced.
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the bike is neglected and not properly maintained .

1.Get a good pressure with diesel wash to remove all the grease .-100 rs
2.Check the clutch plates for wearing out .At 5th gear ,going at 30 kmph wack the throttle , see is the RPM rises without the bike surging ahead ,then clutch plates are toss . 34k is too much on stock clutch plates .Change them. ---- 600 to 800rs , for both pressure and friction plates.
3.Clean the carb , the diaphragm in carb would have lost its form , replace on inspection - 300 Rs .
4.Replace engine oil - 200 Rs .
5.Replace both the plugs , just 65 rs each .
6.Check the front and rear sprokets , if its stock still at 35k ,better replace it . Replace the entire kit ( front ,rear sprokets and chain . 700 Rs )
7.Check front disk pads ( 120-140 rs pair ) and rear drum brakes ( 120 -140 rs ) . Replace .
8.Exhaust has to be changed . -

Replace only with Bajaj genuine parts

Do this and it should be back to stock . I see dents and scratches are common with usage .

Where is the tank pealing pics ?

Last edited by black12rr : 2nd January 2010 at 23:54.
Old 3rd January 2010, 03:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

paint flaking off is normal.happens on all the bikes.your exhaust definitly needs to be changed.

rev
ps get your bike washed.
Old 3rd January 2010, 15:29   #14
BANNED

I don't think there is any problem with the bike other than it needs the service and a good waxing. Also in the case of exhaust, it's common especially for humid areas. You may need to change the exhaust, if there is any sound & FE difference.
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:28   #15
BHPian

Bad Bad! This bike is looking all shaken up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks