Team-BHP - Honda Unicorn- Charging Problem--Help!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Honda Unicorn- Charging Problem--Help!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/72716-honda-unicorn-charging-problem-help.html)

Suddenly yesterday my Unicorn's horn, flasher, neutral lights conked-off. I thought that the battery conked off, but today I checked the voltage on the terminals without the battery , it showed 9 volts & on racing the engine the voltage is dropping to 4-5 volts.:eek:

I thing there is some problem with the voltage regulator ....guys any of you faced such problem. What will be approx cost of replacing a rectifier circuit ? Any clues

Did you do any mods to your bike ?

Get the coils and RR unit checked. If you have installed heavy electrical units then its possible that things have gone bad.

Checking Coils and RR unit will get the job done. I have seen many cases like this. Its not very serious issue.

Its surprising how this can happen if you haven't done mods to your bike. These systems are on threshold. Anything more than what factory gives and you have ended up with problem.
Good way to earn money, both for company and dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1659536)
Did you do any mods to your bike ?

Get the coils and RR unit checked. If you have installed heavy electrical units then its possible that things have gone bad.

Checking Coils and RR unit will get the job done. I have seen many cases like this. Its not very serious issue.

Its surprising how this can happen if you haven't done mods to your bike. These systems are on threshold. Anything more than what factory gives and you have ended up with problem.
Good way to earn money, both for company and dealer.

Hey I have not done any modification to the bike , it is in absolute stock condition.
Ya initially I thought that the battery has conked off, but I was surprised to see the charging voltage as 9 v and on racing the engine the voltage is dropping down to 4-5 volts , looks like some other electrical problem.

Get your alternator checked.That seems to be the culprit.

Even with the battery drained , do the headlights still work ? Are they as braight as they were before ? If they are then the regulator/ rectifier is the headache , else get the alternator coil checked .

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatmana2000 (Post 1659656)
Even with the battery drained , do the headlights still work ? Are they as braight as they were before ? If they are then the regulator/ rectifier is the headache , else get the alternator coil checked .

Yup the headlights & tail lights are working as normal.
It seems that the alternator is working , the rectifier seems to be the problem. Let me check out at Honda A.S.S. as other guys wont stock such components:Frustrati.

What can be the possible reason for rectifier failure ? Any clues

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 1659736)
Yup the headlights & tail lights are working as normal.
It seems that the alternator is working , the rectifier seems to be the problem. Let me check out at Honda A.S.S. as other guys wont stock such components:Frustrati.

What can be the possible reason for rectifier failure ? Any clues

How old is your bike and how much KMS ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 1662061)
How old is your bike and how much KMS ?

Bike is around 4yrs old , not used it much... done around 20K Km.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 1662443)
Bike is around 4yrs old , not used it much... done around 20K Km.

So, get the charging system checked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 1664015)
So, get the charging system checked.

Today showed it to a Honda shop not H.A.S.S, as per him the rectifier needs to be changed, and it will cost around Rs.600.
But unfortunately he didn't had any rectifiers in stock as it is a slow moving & expensive part.

The voltmeter was sowing around 8-9 volts & on increasing the engine rpm the voltage was decreasing to around 4-5 volts this he said is due to faulty rectifier.

I remember same problem in my Yamaha Gladiator, without battery when attaching voltmeter it was showing 5v and from beginning battery was going down often. For charging it should give about 14v right? But dealer took off battery from a new Gladiator and attached the multimeter and that bike was too showing 5v. After that 3 years passed and I didn't bothered much about this and my battery hardly manages to start the bike and I have to use kick most of the time.

But I notice when I drive the bike for long like 10km or more battery does get charged and it is able to power self motor and start bike. What I mean to say here that before changing rectifier do check if its same with other Unicorn as well or not.

Hey today got my Unicorn checked at Honda A.S.S they put a new battery as mine was dead & they checked the voltage on the terminals it was showing around 14.6 volts. And as per the mechanic this is normal & the battery is being charged normally.

He said the battery needs to be replaced & there is no problem with the rectifier...:) The A.S.S only has Amco battery as OEM, hence I got an Amaron Alpha series AP-ATX2.5L battery from outside costing around Rs 700/- with 60 month Warranty. This battery is absolutely maintenance free with no water top ups at all.

I also saw a Exide costing around Rs 600/- with 15 month warranty.

I felt Amaron is a much better product with a better warranty & service life with zero maintenance.