Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 15:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Changing Lock Set on Yamaha RXZ

Hi all,

I have a 1998 model Yamaha RXZ in stock condition.

It has been trouble free for all these years, apart from the fact that the locks (handle lock, petrol tank lock and seat lock) need a replacement now.

The handle/ignition lock has become loose while the petrol tank lock has become tight. (I feel that the locks have been spoilt because the bike used to be parked in the open, exposed to rain)

I have inquired with the Yamaha service centre (Orion Motors, behind Forum Mall) for changing the lock set. But they seem to be reluctant in changing the lock set, they keep making lame excuses like part not available.

Since this has happened on two occasions, I am starting to have some doubts:

1. Is there some complicated procedure (legal/documentation) involved in changing the lock set of a bike, which they are trying to avoid ?

2. Is it a complicated/labour intensive procedure which they are trying to avoid ?

3. Are they suspecting that it might be stolen vehicle, because of which I want to get the lock set changed ? (It is a MP registered vehicle being used in Bangalore, though I have paid the Karnataka road tax)

4. On both the occasions, I went on a Saturday. Would it help if I went on a weekday, since their workload would be less ?

5. Is it really a problem of the lock set not being available ? Are the spare parts of RXZ not readily available even with the Yamaha agencies ?

Fellow Yamaha owners, please shed some light on the issue.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 5th January 2010, 13:56   #2
BHPian

i just inquired for the ignition and handle lock at my local shop. it was readily available and can be easily replaced. Around 450 bux. ill put the pics up when im getting it done next week.
Old 5th January 2010, 14:53   #3
BHPian

Hi Rohan. I changed the ignition and handle lock on my '97 RXZ in Bangalore from a local mechanic in Koramangala 2 years ago. I think he charged 400-500 bucks.
There are no major complications or RTO issues involved. Mine is a outside registered (MH-12) vehicle as well.
Just go to any local mechanic, he will do it for you. Cheers!

Last edited by PhrozenFire : 5th January 2010 at 14:57.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:16   #4
BHPian

there is shortage of spares for the rx series of yamaha.
please visit motorcycle components on jc road & you will the set of lock for your bike.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:35   #5
BHPian

hey rohan there is no legal procedure to get your locks changed. The guys at Orion motors really do not have any spares for rx series. They did not even have the indicators for my rx135. Whenever i ask some spare for my rx135 they tell me the same reasons(NO Stock!!!). your best bet in finding the company spares would be at perfect motors on lalbaugh road near the urvasi theater. other than that you would have to search for local spares on jc road.

Regards
Rocky
Old 5th January 2010, 15:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys !

I would prefer to get the complete lock set changed, including the handle/ignition lock, petrol tank lock and the seat lock since all three locks are in a bad condition. Also, if I get the complete set changed, the same key can operate all the locks.

Also, I would prefer to get it done at the Yamaha authorised service centre, even if it means spending a few hundreds extra.

I will try again at the Yamaha service centres Orion/Pacer. Otherwise I will try on JC road.

Is it possible to buy the lock set from outside and get it fitted at the Yamaha authorised service centre ? (I really doubt this)

My RXZ has been getting step-motherly (step-fatherly) treatment since I purchased a car. It is time to give it some pampering.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 5th January 2010, 17:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

Again as everyone has mentioned there is no legal req on changing the locks for a bike.
Except if its under a loan.
As in that case the bank will need to be informed.

I replaced the locks on my tb as the old keys had totally worn out.

Its not that important that you get it done at an AuthSS.
Just find a good mechanic.

Also the entire process will take less than 30 mins.
So you can stay and watch it being done.
Old 6th January 2010, 00:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dunno about Yam, but I changed the entire lock set of my Suzuki Shogun a few months ago. Got the original TVS stuff. Aftermarket one was also available, but the quality difference was immediately noticeable. The TVS ASC and few other mechanics did a lot of song and dance about how difficult it is to change the set and how time consuming it is. Luckily I found one small time mechanic in a small shed you did the job in just about 30 mins for Rs. 100! I was so happy that the fork did not have to be dismantled that I tipped him some extra.

The main issue is the handle lock. Normally you'd need to dismantle the fork to do it... but this guy managed to do it without dismantling it!! Not sure if its the same for the Yam though. The other locks were a piece of cake.

Moral is that road side mechs can be a lot more effective for some things, if you are lucky enuf to find a good one.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

The way Yamaha service centre persons were avoiding this job made me wonder whether there were some complications involved. But thanks to you guys, my doubts are clear now.

The locks in my RXZ don't need an immediate replacement, can live with them for few more months. They are still in working condition, though they have become loose/tight.

I'll try to get this done when I have some free time. I'll purchase the original Yamaha lock set and try to locate a trusty mechanic.

Thanks for all the replies !

Will post back when the job is done.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 6th January 2010, 14:31   #10
BHPian

I had this done on my RXZ over a year ago. The original minda set cost me around 900 to 1000 bucks in Mumbai but may be difficult to find now i guess.

It includes
The ignition/handle lock
Fuel lock
Seat lock
and Panel lock.

Replacing the parts is very easy and any roadside mech will be able to do it for you in a jiffy
Old 7th January 2010, 11:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Totally forgot about the panel lock.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 30th January 2010, 14:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the lock set replaced for my Yamaha RXZ.

Decided to check with the Yamaha agencies one last time. As expected, Orion motors and Pacer Yamaha did not have the lock set.

So I went to a 2-wheeler accessories shop in Shivajinagar and purchased the original Minda lock set for RXZ. I got it for Rs 1075 (printed price was Rs 1225).

The set consists of handle/ignition lock, petrol tank lock, side panel lock and seat lock (2 pieces).

The accessories shop arranged for a friendly neighborhood mechanic who changed the lock set in less than 30 minutes. Only the handle/ignition lock took some time, others were a piece of cake. The mechanic charged Rs 100 for the job.

I generally avoid going to road side mechanics, but I have to say that he was very skilled, probably even more well-versed with the bike than the Yamaha authorised service centre mechanics.

Rohan
Old 30th January 2010, 16:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Just adding my 2 cents of my experience for the benefit of the community.
There's absolutely no issues changing the locks. I got my locks changed for my Rx100 about 4 months back, ignition, fule tank cap, lock & additional side lock on the frame that costed nearly 500 Rs with no RTO formalities from an Yamaha A.S.S.
Old 30th January 2010, 18:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just adding my 2 cents of my experience for the benefit of the community.
There's absolutely no issues changing the locks. I got my locks changed for my Rx100 about 4 months back, ignition, fule tank cap, lock & additional side lock on the frame that costed nearly 500 Rs with no RTO formalities from an Yamaha A.S.S.
Thanks aargee.

Unfortunately, the Yamaha A.S.S. in Bangalore do not seem to have a stock of spare parts of RX series.

I prefer to get my vehicle serviced only at Yamaha service centres and had enquired about the lock set many times at these Yamaha agencies. Every time, their standard reply was - part not available.

But never mind, with the help from fellow BHPians, I got the confidence to get the job done from outside and I am fully satisfied with it.

Another small help guys, the indicator switch has become loose and does not engage sometimes. Is the indicator switch available separately, or do I need to purchase the whole panel (what is the exact word for it ?) ?

I'm sure the part won't be available with the Yamaha A.S.S.
But now I know where to find the RXZ spare parts.

Rohan
Old 31st January 2010, 10:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Better buy the complete set (Minda I guess), costs less than 100 or so for Rx.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks