Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 11:01   #1
BHPian

Bull owners.. please suggest

Hi All,
I'm currently thinking of owning a bull. my passion has hit my senses to such a extent that me no looking back. i had been to jaynagar royal enfield stores in bangalore. now the dilema.

when spoke to sales executive, i came to know electra 5s and standard has been stopped production. .

I need to choose from either classic 350, classic 500 or thunderbird twinspark.

Now i personally dunno how the thunderbird is. please pour in your suggestions.

classic 500 is out of reach here in bangalore. 1.47lakhs. which is out of my list. now there are two choices.

Either thunderbird or classic 350. please let me know guys which one you guys suggest.

i travel on a avg of 50kms. hence i feel thunderbird will be a good option. but still since im investing more than a lakh i need stable bike which can b with me.

absolutely no plans of selling it.

the main question here will be how stable is thunderbird. can i go for it.

please suggest guru's
Old 11th January 2010, 12:24   #2
BANNED

Stable as in handling? Stable as in sales? Stable as in parts availability?

Not able to understand.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:28   #3
BHPian

SO now between TBTS and Calssic 350.
Both bikes Engine Same. So there is not much technical difference.
Now decession is purely personal.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

all of the Bullets are equally good now.. dont think to omuc go for one
Old 11th January 2010, 12:41   #5
BHPian

The only difference that I am aware of between the TBTS and Classic 350 is with the frame. Apart from that, they should be equally reliable.

From ownership reports, people say the spring seat on the classic is not comfortable for long journeys, but I doubt it will be noticed during a 50 Km trip.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Stable as in handling? Stable as in sales? Stable as in parts availability?

Not able to understand.
my bad. i meant stable as in stable on road. as i dont c much of thunderbirds on roads.

is it hazzle free n troublefree on long runs.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

TBTS and CL350 have the same engine.
CL500 has a bigger variant of the same but with an Fuel Injection kit instead of a carb.

The 350's return a decent milage and are a good bet for city traffic.
Do a test ride and buy whatever you like between them.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
TBTS and CL350 have the same engine.
CL500 has a bigger variant of the same but with an Fuel Injection kit instead of a carb.

The 350's return a decent milage and are a good bet for city traffic.
Do a test ride and buy whatever you like between them.
I agree. My vote would be the UCE350 as I guess you require a comfortable motorcycle to ride in the city also. The TBTS is ponderous in heavy traffic conditions, especially like that of Bangalore.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 11th January 2010, 13:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I agree. My vote would be the UCE350 as I guess you require a comfortable motorcycle to ride in the city also. The TBTS is ponderous in heavy traffic conditions, especially like that of Bangalore.

Cheers,

Jay
thanks for suggestion everyone.

Jay i usually take NICE road which is very empty to and fro from office. and during weekends i use my car. in these circumstances do you still think thunderbird will not be comfortable.

classis 350. hmmmm. another 20k more.

neways for my kind of riding on empty roads dont you think thunderbird will be advantage.

This is the last question.

Which showroom in bangalore do you guys suggest.
i had visited to royal enfield showroom in jaynagar. Attitude of the sales person was this is the bike and waiting period 30days. i wanted them to explain the features and offer a test ride. but no words at all. so any other showroom you guys suggest.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:37   #10
BHPian

I was asking the same question to myself 6-7 months back.

After that I bought a Royal Enfield Thunderbird Twinspark UCE 350cc (I enjoyed writing the whole long name cause i just love this silent beast!!)

I ride a Thunderbird almost thrice a week to office (total to & fro distance 70kms with a mix of highway, city and very heavy traffic in the evenings).

Yes honestly initially (for about a week) it was a bit difficult to ride it in heavy traffic but i never cursed myself or the bike for it. Its a process which everyone has to go through of getting to know their bike and getting used to the dynamics of riding it.

Today i ride it just like any other bike and yes its quite reliable, and one more thing I did not buy this bike for more kmpl, but who would complain when one gets around 45kmpl in the above mentioned conditions.

Great seating postion
ample torque to keep those 100cc & 150cc's behind.
very gentle kick+the advantage of electric start.

I would say go ahead test ride it and then take a call.
cheers!!!!
Old 11th January 2010, 15:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
thanks for suggestion everyone.

Jay i usually take NICE road which is very empty to and fro from office. and during weekends i use my car. in these circumstances do you still think thunderbird will not be comfortable.

classis 350. hmmmm. another 20k more.

neways for my kind of riding on empty roads dont you think thunderbird will be advantage.

This is the last question.

Which showroom in bangalore do you guys suggest.
i had visited to royal enfield showroom in jaynagar. Attitude of the sales person was this is the bike and waiting period 30days. i wanted them to explain the features and offer a test ride. but no words at all. so any other showroom you guys suggest.
The TBTS is a dream to ride on open roads.

The RE Brand Store's attitude isn't surprising, considering that they get their paycheques directly from Royal Enfield, and don't have to depend on their sales like the other RE showrooms. Off late HSR Motors on Mission road has been getting good reviews. I chose the Brand Store because I felt getting parts would be easier and they hae a ery good RE Service Engineer, Sounderrajan in house. But, their attitude towards sales sucks, no question about that.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 11th January 2010, 16:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The TBTS is a dream to ride on open roads.

The RE Brand Store's attitude isn't surprising, considering that they get their paycheques directly from Royal Enfield, and don't have to depend on their sales like the other RE showrooms. Off late HSR Motors on Mission road has been getting good reviews. I chose the Brand Store because I felt getting parts would be easier and they hae a ery good RE Service Engineer, Sounderrajan in house. But, their attitude towards sales sucks, no question about that.

Cheers,

Jay

thanks once again Jay. Just now refered to there sale price. thunderbird comes at 1.09 lkhs and classic 350 comes at 1.16 lks. so i think i will still go in with thunderbird. classic 350 i cant stretch my budget. i will take a test ride and update you guys. As jay said there attitude in RE stores is what we cant ignore off. but still if i get spares parts and good service i cant ask something better than that. anyways guys i will keep you updated on the progress.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
...Today i ride it just like any other bike and yes its quite reliable, and one more thing I did not buy this bike for more kmpl, but who would complain when one gets around 45kmpl in the above mentioned conditions.

Great seating postion
ample torque to keep those 100cc & 150cc's behind.
very gentle kick+the advantage of electric start.

I would say go ahead test ride it and then take a call.
cheers!!!!
+1

Take a test ride of both and decide. TBTS is a fun bike to ride on empty roads and is pretty okay even in a bit of traffic (once you get used to it).

About the engine? Yes the thump isn't there and there is a lot of engine clatter, but still it is pretty torquey and reliable. Amazing fuel economy for such a bike too (considering your daily riding distance)

Like schitre said, I am least bothered by the kmpl I get, but I am getting 40+ and I'm not complaining
Old 12th January 2010, 14:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
+1

Take a test ride of both and decide. TBTS is a fun bike to ride on empty roads and is pretty okay even in a bit of traffic (once you get used to it).

About the engine? Yes the thump isn't there and there is a lot of engine clatter, but still it is pretty torquey and reliable. Amazing fuel economy for such a bike too (considering your daily riding distance)

Like schitre said, I am least bothered by the kmpl I get, but I am getting 40+ and I'm not complaining
Hey Jay,
thanx for ur inputs. Here the main dilema m having is classic 350 is in 3 months waiting period. and store guy told me that cost will be applicable at the time of delivery. it might increase or it might decrease. Thunderbird he can deliver me in flat 25 to 30 days. Again cost applies.

Inside news. sales rep told me that those guys are planning to reduce the price of the products wat they have. Do you guys have any information bout it. please share.

Most Viewed