Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2005, 08:58   #1
BANNED

What India needs

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/models.htm

Diesel, dual purpose to handle any roads, 30bhp and 32lb/ft torque, runs on bio diesel, simple, easy to maintain engine designed for durability and best of all, 45kmpl on diesel, currently in use by the US military.

Best of all, runs on bio diesel without mods so can be used with Rs 15 a liter Jathropa if needed.

Last edited by Gurkha : 4th September 2005 at 09:00.
Old 13th September 2005, 00:50   #2
Max
BHPian

well, tata or bullet can adopt such technology and launch bio-diesel based motors cycles in rural India. I think they will sell well in rural India if priced economically. I noticed one thing though bikes are very heavy and oil cooled !!!
Old 13th September 2005, 14:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm .... nice idea. But the fun factor will take a nose dive I think.
Old 13th September 2005, 15:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

TypeO, dont like that punny engine running on Bio diesel? Then go and get C or E class running on Bio diesel. You have best of both worlds
Old 13th September 2005, 19:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

*LOL* @ RX

Naah dude, what I meant was that the ability of the diesels to do those zoom in zoom out routines is suspect IMHO.

Also where is that thread where you were asking for noise on the Expressway? Did a trip recently and I got some weird road from Pune to Mumbai but the opposite direction was alright. I think that noise you were getting was because of the undulations on the road. Did 140kmph in heavy rain on my way to Pune. Was feeling like Schumacher. But the hydroplaning made me cool down a bit.
Old 13th September 2005, 20:33   #6
BANNED

This one develops 30bhp, with a light weigh chassis and also develops good torque, with those specs, it would be the fastest on the road as compared to any of the bikes sold here, also dual purpose bikes are what we need for Indian roads.
Old 13th September 2005, 20:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

You have driven it Gurkha? I dont know. The last time a diesel bike came out it was that crappy effort from Enfield. I will wait and watch.
Old 13th September 2005, 21:40   #8
BANNED

I haven't drive this one but I have had the chance to drive the Kawasaki Mule ATV and that one truly kicked ass.

Enfield is no comparison as it used a Greaves pumpset low rpm engine, this engine is tuned for motorcycles, if it was to be like Enfield, US Army won't be using it.
Old 13th September 2005, 22:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

That sounds interesting then Gurkha. How much will it cost?
Old 13th September 2005, 22:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
The last time a diesel bike came out it was that crappy effort from Enfield. I will wait and watch.
rode one of those a couple of months back. belonged to the owner of the restaurant where i had stopped for lunch in alibaug with a few friends of mine. had all leaking al over the place and no key to start it as well. the guy said it was decades old and stuff.

manson.
Old 14th September 2005, 13:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also where is that thread where you were asking for noise on the Expressway? Did a trip recently and I got some weird road from Pune to Mumbai but the opposite direction was alright. I think that noise you were getting was because of the undulations on the road.
Yes, it was very prominent after I crossed the food mall while going towards Mumbai. But, I got wheel balancing done after my Mumbai trip.

I recently did Pune-Kolhapur-Pune trip and road between Satara-Kolhapur is fantastic. I got an accent tailgating me all of a sudden and while I was about to let him pass, he even started flashing lights. I pulled to left lane and then let him come parallel in right lane (4 lane road), and then with an empty straight road ahead, ripped my car. 100..110..120..130..140..150...160! Just the wind noise and engine roar. Wow! Loved it. No signs of nose-lifting or vibrations. The accent was a distant object in next 10-15 seconds. Slowed back to stable 110. With some traffic, the accent slowly caught back, but he now didn't seem to be interested in overtaking.
Old 14th September 2005, 14:15   #12
BANNED

Quote:
That sounds interesting then Gurkha. How much will it cost?

Since it is custom made for the military, you have to ask them about the cost for civillians. Don't expect it to be much as it is an all mechanical affair.
Old 14th September 2005, 15:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
This one develops 30bhp, with a light weigh chassis and also develops good torque, with those specs, it would be the fastest on the road as compared to any of the bikes sold here, also dual purpose bikes are what we need for Indian roads.
Oops! I had forgotten that we are talking about a bike here. 30bhp sounds really really good. But with such bikes, running on cheap Jatropha bio-diesel, Pune traffic will be a living hell (as if there is any space left) :-(
Old 14th September 2005, 18:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

@RX: Yeah I can imagine. *LOL* Poor guy. What did he think? Will be making a trip to Ganpatipule with family towards mid October. What do you suggest? The Satara road for some time or NH-17 all the way. I am basically waiting for the second service to be done.

@Gurkha - This seems to be very interesting now. Though as RX says, I don't know what the effect will be in crowded cities.
Old 14th September 2005, 18:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What did he think? Will be making a trip to Ganpatipule with family towards mid October. What do you suggest? The Satara road for some time or NH-17 all the way. I am basically waiting for the second service to be done.
I guess, you will be driving via Karad if you are going by NH4. Road from Katraj(Pune) to Shirval is horrible (approx 25 km stretch in between). I don't know about NH17. But on NH4, Mumbai-Pune expressway + Dehu road-Katraj bypass + Shirval-Karad road will be great, if you can cope up with that bad patch. If NH17 is in good condition, it will be a better option.

Most Viewed