Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 10:48   #16
BHPian

Considering that you already have wheels to go around, I would suggest book a Classic 500. The feel of it is in a different league. 5 months will go away really quick. Also by the time the vehicle is delivered, you can change to the chrome version if you want.

Pulsar 220, there are too many of them everywhere. it is becoming an eyesore these days, what with 135-220 cc. Lookslike Bajaj has lost the art to name bikes or rather create a strong brand name
Old 20th January 2010, 10:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Actually, the reason my bike ended up stranded on ECR is because I was pushing the engine too hard to keep up with the other bikes.
Bullets are not racing bikes. You will always feel good with 60-80 KPH.
With Classic 500, you may be able to do that, but it's never designed to race.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:59   #18
BHPian

Dear Greasemonk,
First of all, amazing write-up man, felt like reading one of the Chetan Bhagat books

ok, coming to the point, I own a bullet 500 ( the old cast iron one ) and I swear by it any day. My roommate bought a P220 and I ride it often. If what you want is a cruiser, i don't think the seating position of the P220 is not at all comfortable for long rides, it is not upright. I did a 1000+ ride in my bullet last month (11 hours one way), i can't even think of doing that in a P220. May be the bulls may not be as fast as the pulsars or the ZMAs, but for serious touring, nothing can beat it.

I haven't ridden the C5 yet, so can't comment on it yet.

If speed and performance goodies are the only concern, then better go for P220..

One performance thing i liked in the P220 is the rear disc brakes, I wish we could fix it for bulls too..
Old 20th January 2010, 11:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC View Post
If hadn't spent so much money modding my bike, I'd sell it at the drop of a hat and book me the CL500.
I know the feeling! I put in a little too much money to just get the bike looking right. And in a weird way, that makes me feel attached to it. Like a dad to a spoilt brat of a daughter who swipes his credit card whenever she sees a new pair of heels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Me too don't like the look of P220; but P200 is real good one to me. But the "S" version of 220 is good looking. Say a 220 CC engine on 200's look, hope you don't see it to add more confusion.
Source - Bajaj Pulsar 220 S Launched
Yeah, was excited about this release as well, but no projector headlamp which was one of the USPs of the 220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Seriously, Just borrow someone's Pulsar 180/200/220 whatever, and ride it some, just to get a feel. Try spending some time with the bike. You will mingle well with the crowd, and you just might as well like the "point and shoot" nature of the bike.
Lol, I loved the line in bold. An insult-cake coated with satirical icing

Quote:
But If I were you, I would then just go out and make a deposit for CL500. It just pulls the heartstrings. Plain, simple and beautiful aspect of Motorcycling. One which matters to me utmost.
Nicely said.

Quote:
One more thing, you may just get plain lucky and get the CL500 sooner than you think. A lot of folks chicken out during wait times for an RE.
I hope you are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Also after getting a C500/350 probably you will want to make more than 3 trips per year on it
I certainly hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Dear Greasemonk,
First of all, amazing write-up man, felt like reading one of the Chetan Bhagat books
Surprisingly, that is not the first time I have been told that. I should really check out one of his books!

Quote:
ok, coming to the point, I own a bullet 500 ( the old cast iron one ) and I swear by it any day. My roommate bought a P220 and I ride it often. If what you want is a cruiser, i don't think the seating position of the P220 is not at all comfortable for long rides, it is not upright. I did a 1000+ ride in my bullet last month (11 hours one way), i can't even think of doing that in a P220. May be the bulls may not be as fast as the pulsars or the ZMAs, but for serious touring, nothing can beat it.
I too did not find the pulsar 220 particularly comfortable. I always attributed it to my first bike being a bullet, and hence my definition of a comfortable seating position is a bit skewed. I always thought that I would get used to the pulsar-like seating position with time. But I definitely would prefer a bullet's.

Quote:
One performance thing i liked in the P220 is the rear disc brakes, I wish we could fix it for bulls too..
I've seen it done before so its possible. I would suggest that you upgrade your rear tyre before investing in it, though.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It seems to be pretty unanimous. Time to start the waiting game!
Old 20th January 2010, 12:12   #20
BHPian

So you've finally settled for the Bull eh! I would have done the same if I were in your place. Nothing can match the pleasure of being astride a bullet and simply enjoying the scenic world around you.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:32   #21

Folks, I don't intend to hijack this thread but I thought maybe I could utilize the same thread to clear my head instead od creating a new one. Let me explain,
I am an Ex Army guy and I used to have a Std 350 from 1993-96, this was when I was in the Army, but after that due to some personal issues I had to dispose it off when I quit the Army. Now I am 40 yrs old and the bullet bug is biting me again.

As such I have no need for a bike, I have 2 cars, an Innova for myself and a Chevy Spark for my wife and really money is not an issue if I have to buy a bullet. When I saw the new classic 500 I really got tempted to buy one to fulfill my desire. My desire is only to drive it on weekends and that too for short distances to get that thrill which I have been missing all these years.

My dilemma:
- Although I am 6’1” tall, athletic built and physically active but I have a lower back ache problem for the past couple of years, nothing very serious no injury in the spine but just weak back muscles leading to back pain, although I am working out to strengthen it but as of now the pain comes and goes. I have heard from some people that they developed serious back ache problem by riding bikes. So I am a little concerned and not sure if my age or weak back will become a hindrance in fulfilling my desire. I will not like to buy a bull and not able to ride it and my son is just 13 yrs old and has a few years before he can touch one. What I would really like to know from you guys is your view on this concern of mine, based on which I will decide to go for this bull or not. BTW I did take a very short test drive of the bull but that was not enough to feel if it will be comfortable or will give me a back problem. Your views are welcome
- Another thing is that since l intend to drive it only once in a while I am sure the battery will not get charged enough so will the self start really work if the battery is little weak or not? And if the battery goes kaput will the bull kick start even without the battery or not?

Thanks for your views in advance.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2010 at 14:42. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors, do a Preview before Submiiting posts. Thanks
Old 20th January 2010, 14:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Are you going with the stock exhaust or the raised one? I hope you'll take the longer seats. By the way, pls don't forget to share your dealership experience to us, I hope it would be Southern Motors.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

i would stick to 220 till the time Classic 500 comes with carb

FI version has some issues
Old 20th January 2010, 16:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
i would stick to 220 till the time Classic 500 comes with carb

FI version has some issues
Could you elaborate on the FI issues?
Old 20th January 2010, 17:07   #25
BHPian

Always listen to your heart when it comes to bike.
3 Years back i was in the same dilema, whether to go for a P180 or a Thunderbird, finally head ruled over heart and i bought P180. I still get a longing feeling when i look at a TB and have rued over my decision ever since. I know money is not an issue, so with out further ado, go book CL500.
Old 20th January 2010, 17:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

a friend of mine complaints about bike getting rich or lean while driving..

takes time during cold start specailly in chandigarh where temperatures are like 5 degrees during peak winters

otherwise there is no problem , i wished it had carb for perfect tuning
Old 20th January 2010, 18:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
What I would really like to know from you guys is your view on this concern of mine, based on which I will decide to go for this bull or not. BTW I did take a very short test drive of the bull but that was not enough to feel if it will be comfortable or will give me a back problem. Your views are welcome
Dear Sir, I wish I could answer, however, in my opinion, I feel a Doctor's answer after a thorough test is the best one. My suggestion could be a simple "Go for it" or "Chase your dreams", however, if you only take our opinion & make a wise decision of your own, which I hope you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
- Another thing is that since l intend to drive it only once in a while I am sure the battery will not get charged enough so will the self start really work if the battery is little weak or not? And if the battery goes kaput will the bull kick start even without the battery or not?
I hope this should happen only a year or so later due to normal battery life. Or you may start & leave the bike idle for about 5-10 minutes once a week or so.
Old 20th January 2010, 20:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
a friend of mine complaints about bike getting rich or lean while driving..

takes time during cold start specailly in chandigarh where temperatures are like 5 degrees during peak winters

otherwise there is no problem , i wished it had carb for perfect tuning
Ah, yes, the issue of the missing oxygen sensor. One of the major issues I hope they handle by the time I get my bike.

Luckily for me, I'm in Chennai so there is very little chance of my bike running rich at sea level. Also there is no such thing as cold starts here
Old 21st January 2010, 00:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Could you elaborate on the FI issues?
beleive me no as suck issues. and i would certainly go for the 500 cause if i had the money. but 220 is not a bad bike at all if you look at what you are paying for it and then it is a complete package. it is a great bike.. but then a bullet rider can only understand why is bullet a better bike. you can easy do 100 or more than 100 all day long on the new TBTS engine in the 500. for that matteri have heard the same about the AVL 500. go for the bullet and keep thumping
Old 21st January 2010, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

if you can wait for a month , there is a news that bullet 500 will be coming in carb version

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks