Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 08:24   #3556

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Something similar looking would be MRF Meteor. Though I am unsure whether it will be suitable as a Front tyre
MRF Meteor will not be suitable as a Front tyre.

You may also try Ceat Secura 19" for front. I've been using it for quite some time. Goes great with Ceat Vertigo Sport in the rear for offroading.

Also a word of caution - you need to buy Ceat Gripp "XL" for the front and not Ceat Gripp. Both have completely different tread patterns. Ceat Gripp is not meant for front.
Old 30th May 2014, 12:32   #3557

Hi,

My CS5 Odometer reads 14k and the fuel pump is not pumping fuel on kill switch on. The check engine light turns off normally on time but without the humming noise of the fuel pump.

Teknik motors in Bangalore says, the pump has to be replaced which is quite expensive. I don't want to change it now as the engine diagnostics is not reporting anything wrong.

Is there any better way of diagnosing the pump?
Old 31st May 2014, 03:51   #3558
Distinguished - BHPian

Smrutimandal: Sometimes, a electrical connector will become unplugged or corroded so the first thing to do is to find the electrical connection on the fuel pump on the bottom of the fuel tank. A branch of the wiring harness is plugged into it.
Carefully unplug the connector and then plug it back in. Following this, try to start the motorcycle again. If the fuel pump doesn't run for a few seconds while the MIL is glowing, proceed with the rest of this post.

The Royal Enfield Repair Manual says the MIL can blink while it's booting up and then turn off, indicating everything is normal even though the Fuel Pump inoperative.

This can happen if the Fuel Pump Relay is defective.
If the Fuel Pump Relay is defective, the computer won't recognize this fact even though the fuel pump is not working.

In the motorcycles side case on the left side you will find several small relays.
These look like small black cubes measuring 25.4 X 25.4 X 24mm in size. They have 5 electrical prongs on the bottom to connect them to the wiring harness.
The relay looks like the one shown in this link.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

One of these is the Main Power Relay. Another is the Fuel Pump Relay. On RE's with a side stand safety switch, another relay is dedicated to operating that system.
There is another relay with fewer connections (I believe it has 3) that operates the turn signals. You are not interested in this turn signal relay.

Many different automobiles use exactly the same power relay for their fuel pumps, power windows, window defogging, power seats, heater/ac blower motors, ac compressor clutch etc.
In other words, they are a common, low cost item used by everything from a Ford to a Rolls Royce.
The NAPA number for the correct relay is AR 272.

There are several different styles of these relays but their connectors are usually oriented in a different pattern to keep a mechanic from inserting the wrong one.

My suggestion to you is for you to go to an automotive parts supply store and buy one of these relays. (Take one of the 5 pronged relays from your motorcycle with you so you can show it to the clerk. It will help him find the right one. Also, tell the autoparts guy the AR 272 number. He won't have the NAPA part but often the catalogs will cross reference other companies parts to the ones he has.
If he finds a replacement relay, compare your existing relay with the one offered by the auto supply to make sure you have the correct replacement.)

When you get home, put a small piece of tape on the top of the new relay so you know which one it is.
Then, plug it into the socket you got the existing motorcycle relay from and try to start your motorcycle.
If the fuel pump doesn't start, remove the new relay and plug in the old relay from that position.

Then, remove another relay and plug in your new one, retrying to start the motorcycle. If the fuel pump doesn't run, try plugging the new relay into another relays location.

If your lucky, one of these tests will result in your fuel pump starting and your off and riding again.

If replacing the existing relays with the new one doesn't fix the problem you'll have to "bite the bullet" and pay the outlandish fee for a new fuel pump.

Good Luck.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 13:24   #3559
BHPian

Just found out that the battery is completely dead, beyond repair. Checked the alternator and thats working fine, guess i should be using the bike more often. Is there any particular brand of battery thats better than the stock battery?
Old 1st June 2014, 01:01   #3560
Distinguished - BHPian

There are scores of motorcycle batteries available around the world but as I understand it the ones available in India are rather limited.

If you can find one, look for a battery that is sealed. It will not have filler caps on the cells.

These offer several advantages.
First, the battery will not leak its acid on your motorcycle or you if the motorcycle falls.
Because it is sealed you don't have to worry about adding water to it. In fact, it won't loose its fluids ever (unless the case cracks).
Many of these sealed batteries are using AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) which are the latest technology and won't spill (much) even if the case is damaged.

The most important thing to remember is, if your motorcycle has electric starting capabilities you MUST buy a battery with enough power to satisfy the starter motors requirements.
Failing to do this will often ruin the starters clutch.

My 2011 Royal Enfield 500cc UCE requires a battery with a 14 AmpHour (14AH) rating.

If I tried to save some money by buying a battery with less power I might save a few dollars but when the sprag clutch breaks I'll be out several hundred dollars.

As for Lithium batteries unless you are racing your motorcycle and every Kg saved improves your chance of winning I don't think the high cost is worth paying.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 1st June 2014 at 01:04.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 10:51   #3561

Hello,

I got my new CL500, chorme-maroon on May 2nd week. Had couple of queries, before i take it to first free service tomorrow.
1. When i put in the key, it makes a hiss sound and the ML glows for a while and stops. Is this hissing sound normal?
2. At times, the thump misses the beat and also there is a sort of feeling that fuel does not flow, any guidance on this?
3. I was not yet able to open the utility box, the oval chrome one on the right hand side and the first aid box, triangle one on the left. Its so tight that i could not open it.
4. Have not got the leg guard yet, any recommendations? suggestion on helmet and riding glove will be welcome.
5. Looking for a pillion rider back support, when is tried RE500, i found the one with a rubber cover to be good? any suggestions?

I stay in Bangalore and suggestion of location to buy will be helpful.
Old 1st June 2014, 15:59   #3562
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegdegg View Post
I got my new CL500, chorme-maroon on May 2nd week.
Congratulations and best wishes.

Quote:
When i put in the key, it makes a hiss sound and the ML glows for a while and stops. Is this hissing sound normal?
Absolutely normal; in fact, the hissing sound indicates that everything is normal. It is the petrol pump that is getting ready.

Quote:
Have not got the leg guard yet, any recommendations?
Ride to Sandhya Auto Spares, JC Road, behind SBI, the first right turn after the signal at the junction of JC Road/AM Road/H Siddaiah Road towards Town Hall junction and select the from many options. Don't buy it from the dealers/RE ASS as they quote very high price.

Quote:
suggestion on helmet and riding glove will be welcome.
For helmet, you can visit JC Road and Lalbagh Road. For gloves, visit Cramster, Cunningham Road.
  (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 01:15   #3563
Distinguished - BHPian

hegdegg
I believe the oval cover pulls straight out but I might be wrong.

These side covers/boxes are held in place by steel pins on the cover that are pressed into rubber grommets. They always seem to be difficult to remove.

My suggestion is for you to take your motorcycle back to the dealer.
Ask him or his mechanic to open them for you. That way, you can see exactly how it's done.

Just as important as seeing how it's done, while they are open, ask the dealer/mechanic to apply some grease to the inside of the rubber grommets and to the pins on the covers that engage them.

This will greatly ease the covers removal the next time you wish to take them off.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 11:17   #3564
BHPian

Hi guys,

Hope most of you have checked out the latest RE Classic 500 (2014 face-lift edition). Its gorgeous. Specially, the Beige with Red stripe one.

I was planning to buy the Classic 350 (solely because of higher mileage and I don't need so much juice as the 500 as I'll mostly be driving in the city), but then I saw her on RE website. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT..

I'll be visiting the Sarjapur Road (Bangalore) showroom this weekend to see if the new models are there on display and also will find out if the price is same for the new models as well. Will post the latest prices soon..
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-royalenfieldclassic500classictan.jpg  

nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 14:28   #3565
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wanted to try Continental GT tyres on my bike. Any reviews of the same? has any one tried it? I guess it would fit, as i am still on front and rear 18" setup. Any indication of the cost of a pair??
Old 6th June 2014, 23:04   #3566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Wanted to try Continental GT tyres on my bike. Any reviews of the same? has any one tried it? I guess it would fit, as i am still on front and rear 18" setup. Any indication of the cost of a pair??
On a classic & TB (new) : Rear tyre will fit without an issue, but front tyre will need adjustment. The cost of a pair of new Pirelli sports demon is around 8k in Dehradun.
shan2129 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 23:53   #3567
BHPian

Although I have a Classic 350 UCE, but in connection with the problem I am facing, I would be making a reference to a post by Randhawa at page 28 of this thread wherein he has pointed out a plastic part in the swingarm of classic 500. Mods are requested kindly not to move this post.Gurus on this forum are requested to offer their insight into following queries:
  1. If I'm not wrong I think the same plastic part is also there in Classic 350. Is it actually a plastic or some kind of alloy.(Sorry Randhawa I,m a sceptic).
  2. One day as I rotated the rear tyre, after putting the motorcycle in neutral, I observed that the upper portion of the chain is gently rubbing against the top of this plastic part (a small protuberance), whereas, in other motorcycles there was some gap between the chain and plastic part even though their chains were more or less as tight as mine. What's wrong with my bike.Do I need to tighten the chain more ?
  3. I have also observed a crack which starts from the head of bolt on the anterior side of the plastic part and runs halfway through its length. The mechanic attributed this to riding on unpaved roads. If he is correct, is this problem due to misalignment of the swingarm which needs correction?
  4. Will it lead to something life threatening as the chain will be continuously rubbing against the part and may break due to resultant wear and tear?
  5. Will the swing arm need dissembly or is there any other way to sort it out?
  6. Also,do I need to replace the plastic part or shall I bear with the existing one for the time being.?
I'll appreciate your replies.
Old 9th June 2014, 11:53   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I'll appreciate your replies.
i think the plastic part you are referring to is the chain slider. It may cone in contact with chain, depending on various factors such as chain tension, alignment, etc. nothing alarming but do get it checked and sorted from a knowledgeable mechanic.

Quote:
On a classic & TB (new) : Rear tyre will fit without an issue, but front tyre will need adjustment. The cost of a pair of new Pirelli sports demon is around 8k in Dehradun.
Thanks! 8k sounds good for PAIR of pirelli. Will explore and try and a pair. After riding the 390 for 7k kms, i have realized that tyres make a LOT of difference to riding, handling, braking, and one should not try and cut cost there as it directly relates to safety.
Old 13th June 2014, 10:50   #3569
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share a photo of my friends Desert Storm. Lovely bike and he maintains it quite well too.

Have a great day!
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-live-ride-bhp.jpg  

sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 14:11   #3570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share a photo of my friends Desert Storm. Lovely bike and he maintains it quite well too.

Have a great day!
I have to tell this! Amazing capture bro! A wallpaper material indeed.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks