Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2014, 09:54   #3571
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I have to tell this! Amazing capture bro! A wallpaper material indeed.
Thank you very much Have a nice day!
Old 15th June 2014, 10:51   #3572
BHPian

Mod note: Post deleted. Chat and SMS Lingo are not permitted on Team-BHP. Therefore, "my" is not "mi", "before" is not "b4" and "that" is not "dat".

Please go through our announcement and follow the rule please.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th July 2014 at 16:32.
Old 17th June 2014, 10:02   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Again got stranded today due to an empty tank. The Fuel indicator failed again.

Had to start to push the bike again. Thats when 2 teens on a new bike stopped and helped to push the bike. Thanked them from the bottom of my heart, and reminded me that some of the humanity still exists in the world!!
Hi Raghu. I faced the same problem today while commuting to office on my DS500. Suddenly the bike started to stall and the engine shut off. Tried re-starting the bike but it did not. While I was fearing a worse scenario, I remembered your post. My "low fuel" indicator did not light up before the bike stalled. This is the first time such a thing happened in the 9 months that i have been riding it.
Fortunately, my bike stalled near a petrol pump. Taking a chance i pushed it to the pump. Filled up petrol worth Rs. 500 and the bike roared back to life.

Raghu or anyone else on the forum, would you know what the issue is and how it can be fixed?
Note: It is worth mentioning that my bike was standing in the rain without a cover for 3 days.

Awaiting reply. Thank you.

Regards,
Manish
Old 17th June 2014, 11:18   #3574
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt that the rain had anything to do with the failure of the low fuel light.
It is most likely a burned out light bulb, the wiring harness plug isn't fully plugged in or the fuel level guage quit working.

If the motorcycle is only 9 months old the warranty may cover the cost of repairing it.

I have lived without the low fuel warning light for over 2 1/2 years now.
The float on the sending unit failed, I believe due to the 10 percent alcohol added to our fuel. We must use this fuel "to protect the environment" they tell us.

Anyway, I just use a black indelible ink marker (Sharpie) to jot down the odometer distance on my handlebar. When I've ridden 150 miles, (240 km) I know I should start looking for a good price on fuel.

This distance gives me at least 60 miles (97 km) to find a filling station without any fear of running out of fuel.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 17th June 2014 at 11:20.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 11:18   #3575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishw View Post
Fortunately, my bike stalled near a petrol pump. Taking a chance i pushed it to the pump. Filled up petrol worth Rs. 500 and the bike roared back to life.

Raghu or anyone else on the forum, would you know what the issue is and how it can be fixed?
Note: It is worth mentioning that my bike was standing in the rain without a cover for 3 days.
Regards,
Manish
Real bad there is no way to check this until we are hit!! Good that it was near a petrol pump.

There could be 2 reasons:
1. if this used to work earlier and did not work now, it could be the bulb
2. Else most likely it would be the sensor.
Also an odd case of loose connection or wire being cut

In my case it was the sensor not working right from the factory, since I had never seen the light glow. It takes 30 -40 mins to replace the sensor. The sensor is on the right rear portion (almost the end) of the petrol tank.

Earlier I had written a mail to their customer service listing all the issues I had. They were prompt in calling back to have the bike checked. Since I had a tank full, and they could not empty it, they checked it with a new sensor, and the light did glow confirming its a problem with the sensor. They requested me to ride for the week. Post this, I had the sensor replaced and for the first time saw the light glow. We tested this by tilting the bike slightly to the opposite side of the sensor, when the petrol level was less than half tank. Had I read the manual before taking delivery, I would have found it straight away, since they fill only 2lts of petrol, in which case the light should have come up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The float on the sending unit failed, I believe due to the 10 percent alcohol added to our fuel. We must use this fuel "to protect the environment" they tell us.

Anyway, I just use a black indelible ink marker (Sharpie) to jot down the odometer distance on my handlebar. When I've ridden 150 miles, (240 km) I know I should start looking for a good price on fuel.

This distance gives me at least 60 miles (97 km) to find a filling station without any fear of running out of fuel.
I tried doing the same, though not actually marking it. The only issue was the day you get lazy, Murphy decided to show his powers, and it was really taxing being his victim Earlier when my office was around 16 kms, and sun not burning us down, I used to take the bike regularly to office, and used to fill it promptly. Now my office is around 30 kms, and with the sun blazing, I use it on weekends and the odd days when I have a kick of adrenaline rush!!

Last edited by Aditya : 18th June 2014 at 11:14. Reason: Merging back to back posts
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 12:48   #3576
BHPian

Hey guys!
So, the monsoon is here and the chrome parts on my Classic 500 have started to worry me.
Wanted to know a few good antirust/anticorrosion treatment liquids available in the market?
Also, is there any kind of black colored antirust automotive paint that i can use?
My bike's almost a year old and i wish to change the paint on all the chrome parts, including the engine to black.
Old 20th June 2014, 12:57   #3577
BHPian

Thank you ArizonaJim and Raghu for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
There could be 2 reasons:
1. if this used to work earlier and did not work now, it could be the bulb
2. Else most likely it would be the sensor.
Also an odd case of loose connection or wire being cut
In my case the low fuel indicator worked perfectly until the ill fated day. So i would go with the issue with the bulb or loose connection.

Quote:
I doubt that the rain had anything to do with the failure of the low fuel light.
It is most likely a burned out light bulb, the wiring harness plug isn't fully plugged in or the fuel level guage quit working.

If the motorcycle is only 9 months old the warranty may cover the cost of repairing it.

Thanks for the interesting piece of information. They did add "something" to the fuel during the last servicing of my bike, to prolong the life of the engine or some such benefit. Sounds similar to your ordeal. Will get it checked.

Thanks,
Manish
Old 25th June 2014, 17:32   #3578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
I'll be visiting the Sarjapur Road (Bangalore) showroom this weekend to see if the new models are there on display and also will find out if the price is same for the new models as well. Will post the latest prices soon..

I know it has been quite some time after I posted this, but here I am keeping my promise.

Went down to the RE showroom and here is the breakdown of RE On-Road prices in Bangalore. Hope it helps some of you.. I was quite disappointed to find out no new models were on display at present. Will visit again next month.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-office-lens_20140430_102851_processed.jpg  

nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:09   #3579
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I know it has been quite some time after I posted this, but here I am keeping my promise.
whoa!! the RE bikes have become expensive..
i remember paying 1.44L onroad in bangalore for my C5.
and 98k odd for my machismo 3.5 in 2008.

Wish they could hike the quality as much as they are hiking the price.
Old 4th July 2014, 13:26   #3580
BHPian

I recently drove down from kottayam to Bangalore on my brothers C500. The handle bar vibrations at 110 kmph was so much that 300kms into the ride,the right rear view mirror broke off!! Thank God there was no-one behind me. Has anyone faced this issue (Vibration / rear view breaking off on its own accord)? How much would it cost to replace?

We had given it for service and they returned it with a broken gauge cover (CEL+Fuel). Need to get it replaced. How much would that cost?

My hands were sore for two days, since I didn't have riding gloves. Need to check on somebody else's C500 to see if the clutch action is so hard.
Old 8th July 2014, 20:09   #3581
BHPian

Guys, can u advice me on buying a bullet classic 500 efi or a bullet 500 carb for regular travel in delhi and a monthly highway trip mostly northwards. Budget and mileage is not a concern, only preference for long term reliability with less hassles.
Old 9th July 2014, 03:10   #3582
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally, favor the fuel injected Royal Enfields.

They start easily. They rarely have problems of any kind.

They automatically correct the fuel/air ratio at any elevation between sea level and over 5000 meters so the mixture is always correct.

The problems first encountered with the fuel injection maps when they were first released to the public in 2009 were corrected years ago and no longer exist.

The ECU (Engine Control Unit) that controls the fuel mixture and ignition timing will tell you (or your mechanic) what the problem is if it due to any of the engine sensors, much like a modern automobiles ECU does.

The fuel injection is produced by Keihin, one of the largest producers of fuel injection units in the world and their reliability is widely recognized as among the best.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 07:17   #3583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I recently drove down from kottayam to Bangalore on my brothers C500. The handle bar vibrations at 110 kmph was so much that 300kms into the ride,the right rear view mirror broke off!!

My hands were sore for two days, since I didn't have riding gloves. Need to check on somebody else's C500 to see if the clutch action is so hard.
Actually, my DS500 is much stable and less on vibrations when it is >= 80 kmph. But I tend to keep it below 80 due to poor road safety.
But I agree with you on the clutch. The long rides are never a pain, but a 30 mins ride on any Bangalore road results in painful left wrist.
Another important thing: When selecting the gloves, please try before buying. For me none of the gloves fit as the finger lengths are shorter and hurts the finger tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys View Post
Guys, can u advice me on buying a bullet classic 500 efi or a bullet 500 carb for regular travel in delhi and a monthly highway trip mostly northwards. Budget and mileage is not a concern, only preference for long term reliability with less hassles.
As AJ mentioned in the above post, EFI is lot better. But you have to give up on modified silencer. You may see folks claiming improvement on all parameters by using such modified silencer, but it is not proven. Also, none can steal fuel!
sgmitr13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 09:09   #3584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They automatically correct the fuel/air ratio at any elevation between sea level and over 5000 meters so the mixture is always correct.
The Indian model's EFI unit does not have an O2 sensor like the export models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
But I agree with you on the clutch. The long rides are never a pain, but a 30 mins ride on any Bangalore road results in painful left wrist.
Actually, the UCE-s have one of the lightest clutch operations in our country. I never had any kind of left hand paining problems with my UCE TBTS. But I do have that now with the 390 Duke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Thank God there was no-one behind me. Has anyone faced this issue (Vibration / rear view breaking off on its own accord)? How much would it cost to replace?
There are quite a bit of annoying and hand numbing vibration at 90+kmph on C5's. But It should'nt break off the RVM. I have personally ripped C350 and TB350 for quite long times at triple digit cruising speeds and never faced such an issue.

Make sure that
- The handlebar mounting bolts are tightened securely and
- The bar end weights too are tightened securely

And last time I checked the C5's mirrors costed around 800 bucks a pair or so. Might have increased after that.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 9th July 2014 at 09:16.
Old 9th July 2014, 10:40   #3585
Distinguished - BHPian

man_of_steel

You are correct in reminding me that the fuel injected Indian models do not have an Oxygen sensor however, the O2 sensor is not used to regulate the air/fuel mixture to accommodate changes in elevation. It is used to fine tune the air/fuel ratio to minimize pollution (at the expense of some engine performance).

The Indian fuel injected models have a Throttle Position Sensor, a Manifold Pressure Sensor, a Engine Temperature Sensor and a Crankshaft Position Sensor and uses all of these to determine the best air/fuel ratio for the current riding situation.

Of these, the Manifold Pressure Sensor is used to measure air density and mass flow thru the fuel injector body. This is the sensor that in an indirect way, measures the elevation the motorcycle is being ridden at.
The ECU uses this information along with the information from the other sensors to determine the fuel injection timing and duration and the spark advance to achieve the correct air/fuel ratio.

Jim

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 9th July 2014 at 10:44.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed