Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 00:54   #3631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Actually, after the first oil filter change at 500 km and the second oil filter change at 6000 km, the filter change is only required every 6000 km according to my Royal Enfield Owners Manual.

I admit I change my oil filter more often than that but in my opinion the filter certainly can go a lot longer than 2000 km before it needs to be changed.
Old 17th September 2014, 04:19   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Only if you knew how much dust and heat we get down here only then you would feel the need to change stuff at short intervals. If going by the manual then we should not even put anything synthetic into the engine.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:59   #3633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Actually, after the first oil filter change at 500 km and the second oil filter change at 6000 km, the filter change is only required every 6000 km according to my Royal Enfield Owners Manual.

I admit I change my oil filter more often than that but in my opinion the filter certainly can go a lot longer than 2000 km before it needs to be changed.
Are the RE's supplied with synthetic oils off the shelf in US version? Asking this since you mentioned a 6k service interval. In Indian version it is 500-3000-6000 intervals (Correct me If I am wrong about the newer UCEs). But have heard some ASC guys telling that the mineral oil needs to be changed only for alternate services.
Old 18th September 2014, 06:33   #3634
Distinguished - BHPian

I am really not sure what kind of oil the dealer filled the engine with when they unpacked it from the crate. I assumed it was the recommended type and grade that is recommended in the Owners Manual.

The Owners Manual recommends using a 15w50 API SL grade which is a Semi-Synthetic oil meeting the requirements of JASO MA, ESTER base.

I have done all of the oil and filter changes on my motorcycle and have used Mobil-1, V-Twin, oil which is a full synthetic.

There are less expensive Semi-synthetic motorcycle oils available to me but I enjoy knowing the oil in my engine/transmission is among the best oils available here.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 19:42   #3635

Hey Jim,

Sorry for the delay in reply. Had a crash on my last trip to Leh and took sometime to get my left hand working. Still not ready to ride though.

Well, about the pump, it turned out the inner paint of the fuel tank had peeled off and chunks of it had gone inside the pump clogging it beyond repair. So, had to buy a new pump.

First thing I will do after getting back on the bike is scrapping off the stupid paint from inside the tank.

Thanks again for the detailed reply.
Old 26th September 2014, 03:50   #3636
Distinguished - BHPian

Based on the experiences of a few people in the USA, the main problem seems to be paint over spray.

The fuel tanks on the Royal Enfields shipped to the US seem to have a heavy coat of an orange colored material inside the tank. This material thoroughly coats the tanks interior.

During the finish painting of the exterior apparently the fuel filler neck is not plugged or shielded. This results in the color coat over spray getting into the inside of the tank.

Over time, the exposure to the gasoline (petrol) causes the over spray to dislodge and be trapped by the fuel pumps filter. In most cases, this seems to do no real harm to the pump or to the fuel injector because the filter is quite large.

In the few cases where this has caused the pump filter to become plugged, there doesn't appear to be any of the orange colored material present in/on the filter.

I mention all of this to you because apparently, the orange material is applied to prevent rust.

As rust, especially in a humid area like much of India can be, is notorious for causing problems by plugging filters and fuel systems, I suggest that you give this issue through consideration before attempting to remove all of the coatings from inside your fuel tank.

All Team-BHP members:
Have any of you had a problem that can be traced to the failure of the new (2009+) Royal Enfield fuel tanks interior (orange colored) coating (aside from failure of paint over spray)?
Your input is of great value here.
Old 29th September 2014, 10:00   #3637
BHPian

Hi,

I have booked a DS500 a month ago. Yesterday I was talking to one of the RE service guys and he said that the matte finish paint that RE is using is like powder coating and has issues and that is the reason company does not give warranty over it.

We already know the legendary paint and rust issues with bullets and am wondering if they will be even more with the matte finish ones.

Wanted to know what has been the experience of existing matte finished RE owners.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th September 2014, 12:17   #3638
BHPian

I was casually searching for tyre sealants and I came to know about this product Tyre Protector. (http://tyreprotector.com/info/product-details). AFAIK sealants never really work for spoked wheels like ours. However my friend recently did a leh trip on his CL500 with tyre sealant applied on his tyre. He completed his journey inspite of having a nail in the rear tyre.
I thought to give a try in my DS and last weekend I had applied it through a local vendor motoadda. Vendor is also confident that it will work for spoked wheels, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 30th September 2014, 17:11   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I was casually searching for tyre sealants and I came to know about this product Tyre Protector.
======= Vendor is also confident that it will work for spoked wheels, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Please keep us updated about any changes in handling after using this sealant.
Old 30th September 2014, 18:26   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
Please keep us updated about any changes in handling after using this sealant.
So far I have travelled 150kms and I haven`t seen any drastic change in handling. However I have sense of feeling that initial pickup has reduced a bit and I am keeping a close look on it.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:02   #3641
BHPian

Yesterday I took my Desert Storm for 2nd service to Company Service Center BTM. I am quite satisfied with work carried over.
However, I have one minor issue : Every time I release the throttle, I can feel some amount of vibration on the right foot-peg of my bike. Vibration as such is minimal and I feel like chain is rubbing to something. On visual inspection everything looks fine and tight. Any clues?

Last edited by DragonHawk : 17th October 2014 at 11:03. Reason: Removed multiple words
Old 17th October 2014, 11:06   #3642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..However, I have one minor issue : Every time I release the throttle, I can feel some amount of vibration on the right foot-peg of my bike. Vibration as such is minimal and I feel like chain is rubbing to something. On visual inspection everything looks fine and tight. Any clues?
Is the chain cleaned and oiled properly?
Old 17th October 2014, 11:31   #3643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Hi,

I have booked a DS500 a month ago. Yesterday I was talking to one of the RE service guys and he said that the matte finish paint that RE is using is like powder coating and has issues and that is the reason company does not give warranty over it.

We already know the legendary paint and rust issues with bullets and am wondering if they will be even more with the matte finish ones.

Wanted to know what has been the experience of existing matte finished RE owners.

Thanks in advance.
Owning TB500 Matt finish or Stone as they call it, 17 months of ownership. Have not had any rust issues. The surface in fact is quite smooth. I do have few scratch marks, thats probably due to lumpen elements doing it on purpose ! Keep it dust free, and clean with a soft cloth, it would do well.

Quote:
Yesterday I took my Desert Storm for 2nd service to Company Service Center BTM. I am quite satisfied with work carried over.
However, I have one minor issue : Every time I release the throttle, I can feel some amount of vibration on the right foot-peg of my bike. Vibration as such is minimal and I feel like chain is rubbing to something. On visual inspection everything looks fine and tight. Any clues?
Never faced vibration on foot-peg. During every service they are supposed to lubricate and adjust chain 'play', could be likely that they missed and chain play is more than required, and making weird noises. Did you face the chain issue before 2nd service ? You should be able to test it yourself by checking the play(if its more than roughly 1.5", it requires immediate attention). Any local mechanic should be able to set it right.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:37   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Is the chain cleaned and oiled properly?
Yeah, 2 weeks back I have cleaned and oiled by myself and I can see service centers folks too did it.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:24   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, 2 weeks back I have cleaned and oiled by myself and I can see service centers folks too did it.
Examine the chain for any stiff links. It might cause this grinding sensation on footpegs. How old is the chain anyway?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks