Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 14:12   #3766
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
Getting to the point. I guess all of you know that the rear seat is a pain in the butt, literally. I was thinking of replacing it with a carrier which maintains the old school classic aura of the bike.

Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.
maker_of_things mate I have got a carrier fitted in place of the rear seat one of my RE Standard Bullet (1969 model). The carrier I have is different from what you have shared in the pictures, but it does have some resemblance. The one I have fitted is easily available in RE accessories shop(not the company outlet). The fitting is pretty straightforward and simple. The rear fitting is done on the mudguard stays where there is already a provision for stock seat attachment, whereas the front fitting as well is done on the stays using a J clamp or mirror clamp. You can have a look at my bike to get the idea. I have chosen this setting as I can fit my rear seat on the same carrier as and when I have to carry a pillion.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...bullet-17.html

Post no. 254

Hope this helps.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 2nd November 2015 at 14:15.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:13   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
maker_of_things mate I have got a carrier fitted in place of the rear seat one of my RE Standard Bullet (1969 model). The carrier I have is different from what you have shared in the pictures, but it does have some resemblance. The one I have fitted is easily available in RE accessories shop(not the company outlet). The fitting is pretty straightforward and simple. The rear fitting is done on the mudguard stays where there is already a provision for stock seat attachment, whereas the front fitting as well is done on the stays using a J clamp or mirror clamp. You can have a look at my bike to get the idea. I have chosen this setting as I can fit my rear seat on the same carrier as and when I have to carry a pillion.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...bullet-17.html

Post no. 254

Hope this helps.

Thanks navin_v8. This was helpful. Bit of chrome and it would look good on my bike too.

Also, I was thinking of getting my tyres changed. You have any idea what would give me a good grip, on road (wet too) and off road? I read on this chain about Pirelli MT60, but could not find them as easily nowadays in India. Are CEAT Gripp any good? I believe those are the ones they use in Hero Impulse as well.
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:22   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
There is a new independent workshop which has opened near my place of stay, called Bullet Guru. The owners Mr.Negi and Mr.Jaikant are from the Roadshakers club. Any feedback of this workshop?
As informed I did my service at Bullet Guru.
Few points to consider:

+ scrutinizes your bike to find out issues like noise, leakage etc.
+ keeps calculating your estimate till you are fine with it (accurate estimate)
+ no service charge on bill amount

- Interested in fixing oil leakage problems from the engine
- Some labor charges are NOT justified
(Rs. 120 to tighten nuts & bolts as they have observed vibrations on the bike)
- Higher labor charges
(Rs. 120 to replace front disc pads) Even at RE Service Center they sand paper the pads & put it back for free!
- High engine oil costs (charged on MRP)

Overall work quality is good and bike is presented well but it comes at a cost. On a Sunday they had only 4 to 5 bikes to deliver after service says all the story.

I don't think I'll go back to them again, wished them 'Happy Diwali' in advance

My expenses:
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-bulletguru.jpg  

surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:06   #3769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I was thinking of getting my tyres changed. You have any idea what would give me a good grip, on road (wet too) and off road?
As you would have found out by now, the tyre options for 120/80 18 inch wheels are somewhat limited. I have been using MRF Nylogrips on my RE's since ages and I can confirm they are not good in terms of wet grip. A little bit of off roading can be done on those tyres as they are hard compound and built to last. There is Michelin Sirac in the 18 inch category which has mixed reviews. Ceat Gripp I am not sure about but Ceat Zoom looks like a good option. My brother in law who rides a Hero Honda CBZ(2002 model) replaced his stock MRF with Ceat Zoom and from my riding experience it handles reasonably well in wet, but not sure about off road(although it is mentioned it is good for off road use). Happy choosing.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:35   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE30 View Post
Very Extensive and detailed review. Gave me a lot of inputs. I am intending to purchase a used RE Classic 500. I am getting a Classic 500 - 2010 model in 85K. is it worth the price. I had a RE Std 350 1997 model, hence I do not have any idea about the new RE's.

Please advise. Thanks

Depends upon the condition of the bike and mileage it has done. Although 85k seems on the high side as in 2010 the price of new was around 125k. Also consider that revised addition with lot of improvements came in 2011.
Old 4th November 2015, 10:09   #3771
BHPian

Guys I'm getting my 2011 Classic 500 serviced today. Odo reads 27.5k. I'm getting the swingarm bush and Spacer changed, the mechanic is recommending that I use the one from the older model, the rubber ones instead of the plastic ones that my bike has.

Do you think I should go for this? Or should I stick with the plastic ones.

Thanks!
Old 4th November 2015, 11:09   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Guys I'm getting my 2011 Classic 500 serviced today. Odo reads 27.5k. I'm getting the swingarm bush and Spacer changed, the mechanic is recommending that I use the one from the older model, the rubber ones instead of the plastic ones that my bike has.

Do you think I should go for this? Or should I stick with the plastic ones.

Thanks!
Did not hear about any rubber swingarm bushes. I recently got the swingarm bushes on my 2012 Classic 500 replaced at 23k kms. The guy used a metal one, which was lathed to fit on the bike. I believe this metal one was from the older model. I do recall discussions on this thread about this swingarm, I think Randhawa did the same on his Classic.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th November 2015, 11:18   #3773
BHPian

Quote:
Did not hear about any rubber swingarm bushes. I recently got the swingarm bushes on my 2012 Classic 500 replaced at 23k kms. The guy used a metal one, which was lathed to fit on the bike. I believe this metal one was from the older model. I do recall discussions on this thread about this swingarm, I think Randhawa did the same on his Classic.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, not rubber but metal ones.

How is your bike behaving after the change?
Old 4th November 2015, 11:51   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, not rubber but metal ones.

How is your bike behaving after the change?
Same old. No major changes. My bike never wobbled at higher speeds. Rear end and front end both are stable at even 100+, apart from the vibrations. It only wobbled around 50-60kmph. Sadly that is still there.
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:02   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Same old. No major changes. My bike never wobbled at higher speeds. Rear end and front end both are stable at even 100+, apart from the vibrations. It only wobbled around 50-60kmph. Sadly that is still there.
Same is the case with my bike. Wobbles slightly between 50-60 but is stable after.

So I guess there won't be much of a change.
Old 4th November 2015, 17:09   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Same is the case with my bike. Wobbles slightly between 50-60 but is stable after.

So I guess there won't be much of a change.
So I got the metal swingarm bushes. The bike has stopped wobbling between 50-60kmph, apart from that no change at all, still feels as planted as before.

Also got the rear tyre changed a month back to TVS Jumbo (same dimensions as stock). Have done about 1500kms and the tyre feels good. Has enough grip. Though I haven't been able to test it offroad or on wet roads.
Old 5th November 2015, 12:22   #3777
BHPian

Quote:
So I got the metal swingarm bushes. The bike has stopped wobbling between 50-60kmph, apart from that no change at all, still feels as planted as before.

Also got the rear tyre changed a month back to TVS Jumbo (same dimensions as stock). Have done about 1500kms and the tyre feels good. Has enough grip. Though I haven't been able to test it offroad or on wet roads.
Thanks cataclysm. I'll look into the swingarm bushes once again. Hopefully I get it sorted somehow. What tyre pressure do you maintain in your front and rear?

TVS Jumbo, the tread on it look like it might be able to maintain some grip off roads as well. I'll check up on it.
Old 5th November 2015, 13:21   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
What tyre pressure do you maintain in your front and rear?

TVS Jumbo, the tread on it look like it might be able to maintain some grip off roads as well. I'll check up on it.
Mate, I usually go for 22 front 32 rear.

TVS Jumbo definitely looks like it would have good off road grip, but I really don't know yet. I found the on road (dry) grip similar to the stock MRFs, though the tyre makes some noise between 80-90kmph.
Old 5th November 2015, 16:56   #3779
BHPian

Quote:

TVS Jumbo definitely looks like it would have good off road grip, but I really don't know yet. I found the on road (dry) grip similar to the stock MRFs, though the tyre makes some noise between 80-90kmph.
Ah. Thanks. I usually have 18 front and 28 rear. Helps a bit with the grip, at the cost of mileage.

I'll look into what I can do that wobble though.
Old 6th November 2015, 10:21   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cataclysm mate that pressure is perfectly fine if you ride with a pillion. If riding solo then the correct pressure is 20 front and 30 rear. I have always noticed if I go for 22 front and 32 rear the ride becomes more stiffer. Sometimes the tyre loses traction on those horrendous paver blocks donning the patchy city roads.

Quote:
Ah. Thanks. I usually have 18 front and 28 rear. Helps a bit with the grip, at the cost of mileage.
Mate as mentioned above the correct pressure while riding solo is 20 front and 30 rear. I believe if you keep the pressure low the tyre will wear faster.

As a practice I always check my tyre pressure once a month or whenever I go for tanking up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks