Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 16:50   #3826
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
I recently switched from RE's Liquid Gun Engine oil to fully synthetic (Motul 300V 15w50). The Service Head at the RE's A.S.S. in Bhandup suggested to not go with it as many owners who use Motul 300V have had issues with their crank. Is this possible? Although I have noticed improved performance and lesser vibrations, can it be really damaging the engine in anyway?
If you are sticking to the recommended specs, it should be fine. And crank problems arising due to synthetic oil is pure bogus. Give a tight slap across the SM's face on behalf of everyone here. Also, UCE-s running on company recommended mineral oil are prone to (and facing) big end failures resulting in replacement of the entire crankshaft.

PS: 300V is more of a race oriented double ester oil best suited for high revving engines. It is also costlier. Motul 7100 should be more than sufficient for a lazy engine like the UCE. It will be cheaper too.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:59   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
PS: 300V is more of a race oriented double ester oil best suited for high revving engines. It is also costlier. Motul 7100 should be more than sufficient for a lazy engine like the UCE. It will be cheaper too.
Thanks for that. I noticed that 7100 is only available with grade 20w50. Can it be used? I believe the recommended specs are 15w50.
Old 15th January 2016, 11:27   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that. I noticed that 7100 is only available with grade 20w50. Can it be used? I believe the recommended specs are 15w50.
Both oils can be used as your place never sees temperatures as low as 0 degrees. The viscosity index of 15W50 & 20W50 will be 50 only at 100 deg C. Hence you don't have to worry about this point.
Old 16th January 2016, 09:19   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 7100 used on my 390 is 10w50. You can use it without any problem.
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:36   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The 7100 used on my 390 is 10w50. You can use it without any problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Both oils can be used as your place never sees temperatures as low as 0 degrees. The viscosity index of 15W50 & 20W50 will be 50 only at 100 deg C. Hence you don't have to worry about this point.
Thanks. I'll try that during my next oil change.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:42   #3831

Guys please advise me on this, it will be of great help.
The other day i was riding my RE Cl 500, when suddenly there was a loud squiking sound and the engine stopped. I tried kick starting but could not start as the kick was totally jammed. Please suggest me what can be done about it.
ODO reading 21,000km
Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 15:31   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.rattan View Post
The other day i was riding my RE Cl 500, when suddenly there was a loud squiking sound and the engine stopped. I tried kick starting but could not start as the kick was totally jammed. Please suggest me what can be done about it.
ODO reading 21,000km
Thanks
Hello Ankit, You have just encountered an engine seizure. I assume you were running on original bore and piston all this 21000 kms and the engine is fully run in. So this seizure could mostly be due to lack of lubrication. How were your driving while this seizure happened?

Take it to a mechanic and get the pump and oil circulation checked. And you will have to go for a new piston and rings if the cylinder could be re-bored. Else buy a complete cylinder and piston kit. Mechanic would be able to take a call if the crank and connecting rod bearings need to be replaced or not.
ilangop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 15:33   #3833
BHPian

Quote:
ODO reading 21,000km
Thanks

What is the maintenance history of the bike, have you checked the oil level regularly ?

I suspect an engine seizure here, if so then you might have to change the engine cylinder and piston kit.

It might also be bad fueling or maybe the injectors are clogged due to dirt.

Just read the post above me ... seems he posted before me with the same suggestion while i was typing !!

Last edited by The Great : 27th January 2016 at 15:34.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 15:33   #3834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ODO reading 21,000km
Thanks
Looks like your motorcycle engine is seized and either the piston or transmission is stuck thereby jamming the kick starter. Do not try to kick start it lest you will damage it further. Show it to a competent mechanic before doing any thing.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 00:43   #3835

Quote:
Hello Ankit, You have just encountered an engine seizure. I assume you were running on original bore and piston all this 21000 kms and the engine is fully run in. So this seizure could mostly be due to lack of lubrication. How were your driving while this seizure happened?

Take it to a mechanic and get the pump and oil circulation checked. And you will have to go for a new piston and rings if the cylinder could be re-bored. Else buy a complete cylinder and piston kit. Mechanic would be able to take a call if the crank and connecting rod bearings need to be replaced or not.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I ride occasionally around 30-40kms in a week, and had serviced around 2yrs back but the oil level is full. At that time i was riding at about 30km/hr in city traffic when the engine suddenly stopped with a squeaking sound and the kick jamed
Old 28th January 2016, 00:57   #3836

Quote:

And what should be the maximum approximate expense if i get the work done from ASC and i have to buy a complete cylinder and piston kit, just asking to have an idea about the budget, thanks.
Old 28th January 2016, 09:45   #3837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your advice. I ride occasionally around 30-40kms in a week, and had serviced around 2yrs back but the oil level is full. At that time i was riding at about 30km/hr in city traffic when the engine suddenly stopped with a squeaking sound and the kick jamed
Ankit-You have answered your own question. Two years is a very long time for any oil to maintain it's viscosity even if you were running with the optimum levels. Even Synthetics don't last that long.
rakesh_r is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 16:59   #3838
BHPian

Quote:
And what should be the maximum approximate expense if i get the work done from ASC and i have to buy a complete cylinder and piston kit, just asking to have an idea about the budget, thanks.
Around 12k including oil change and labor costs.
saargoga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 10:59   #3839
BHPian

Yesterday which commuting in city traffic, I witnessed a strange issue in my bike. I was stuck in the traffic jam and I had switched off the ignition. When traffic started moving I switched on the key, fuel pump started priming without any issue but to my shock there was no response from the self starter. I tried again by doing same procedure and still no response and during my third attempt I tried the self simultaneously when fuel pump just started to prim and voila bike started without any problem. I could reproduce this issue once again while I was stuck again in the jam, however after reaching home I couldn`t see this problem and till now self is working as if there was no issue at all.
Folks any pointers for what could have gone wrong here.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 1st February 2016 at 11:05.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:02   #3840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Yesterday which commuting in city traffic, I witnessed a strange issue in my bike. I was stuck in the traffic jam and I had switched off the ignition. When traffic started moving I switched on the key, fuel pump started priming without any issue but to my shock there was no response from the self starter. I tried again by doing same procedure and still no response and during my third attempt I tried the self simultaneously when fuel pump just started to prim and voila bike started without any problem. I could reproduce this issue once again while I was stuck again in the jam, however after reaching home I couldn`t see this problem and till now self is working as if there was no issue at all.
Folks any pointers for what could have gone wrong here.
How do you start the bike with the self starter-With the clutch lever pressed as written in the manual?I would suggest you to check-
1-Thumb the the self starter button when you press the clutch lever.
2-Thumb the the self starter button without pressing the clutch lever.

If the self starter works in case two you need to check the neutral switch.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 1st February 2016 at 12:05.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks