Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 12:03   #3841
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Yesterday which commuting in city traffic, I witnessed a strange issue in my bike. I was stuck in the traffic jam and I had switched off the ignition. When traffic started moving I switched on the key, fuel pump started priming without any issue but to my shock there was no response from the self starter. I tried again by doing same procedure and still no response and during my third attempt I tried the self simultaneously when fuel pump just started to prim and voila bike started without any problem. I could reproduce this issue once again while I was stuck again in the jam, however after reaching home I couldn`t see this problem and till now self is working as if there was no issue at all.
Folks any pointers for what could have gone wrong here.
I would doubt the neutral switch and the clutch lever switch which provide ground to the starter relay. I don't think there is anything more serious than this. Did you try to kick start while this incident happened?
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 12:06   #3842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
I would doubt the neutral switch and the clutch lever switch which provide ground to the starter relay. I don't think there is anything more serious than this. Did you try to kick start while this incident happened?
I was suffering with the same issue.The self didn't work if i pull the clutch lever.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:14   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Yesterday which commuting in city traffic, I witnessed a strange issue in my bike. I was stuck in the traffic jam and I had switched off the ignition. When traffic started moving I switched on the key, fuel pump started priming without any issue but to my shock there was no response from the self starter. I tried again by doing same procedure and still no response and during my third attempt I tried the self simultaneously when fuel pump just started to prim and voila bike started without any problem. I could reproduce this issue once again while I was stuck again in the jam, however after reaching home I couldn`t see this problem and till now self is working as if there was no issue at all.
Folks any pointers for what could have gone wrong here.
Nothing to worry about IMO,

This happens with my Jupiter too sometimes. The connection between the self starter button and the point of contact is not established properly at times. This might be due to dust.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:36   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I was suffering with the same issue.The self didn't work if i pull the clutch lever.
Quote:
Do check the relay for the self starter. It's located below the front seat right next to the battery and has a penchant for acting up.

I had to replace mine recently and do not face this problem any longer.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 13:20   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
How do you start the bike with the self starter-With the clutch lever pressed as written in the manual?I would suggest you to check-
1-Thumb the the self starter button when you press the clutch lever.
2-Thumb the the self starter button without pressing the clutch lever.

If the self starter works in case two you need to check the neutral switch.
No since I had put the bike in neutral, I didn`t press the clutch lever. I usually start the bike via self starter along with a slight twist to the throttle. Meanwhile let me check these 2 options again.
Quote:
No I didn`t try as I could get going in my third attempt, however if it had failed too then I would have given a try. Meanwhile I was in middle of the road with series of blasts coming in from my back via honks, so all I was thinking was to get moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Do check the relay for the self starter. It's located below the front seat right next to the battery and has a penchant for acting up.

I had to replace mine recently and do not face this problem any longer.
Let me check it tomorrow as my ride is scheduled for service.
Old 8th February 2016, 13:00   #3846
BHPian

Royal Enfield brand store service center located in BG Road has been shifted near to Madiwala lake, BTM. Ground floor is the showroom and servicing is done in the first floor. New facility looks good, but service bays are less compared to the earlier one and as usual things are still messy as an example I had to take the bike myself to the first floor and had to wait for 30 mins before someone came with a job sheet.
New Location

Last edited by DragonHawk : 8th February 2016 at 13:01.
Old 8th February 2016, 15:02   #3847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
I've not been able to take my buddy C500 out for a ride in over two weeks. ..switched on the ignition, waited for the orange glow to go off and pressed the electric started switch! Grrrr, grrrr and more grrr was the only sound I could hear. Realized the battery had died down and decided to kick-start. Luckily at the second kick the bike slowly started to come to life!2. Should I just take it to the nearest RE Service Center and get the battery checked or should I replace it?
Please help!
A longer unused interval (9 months) had passed, when I tried the same on my brothers C500. Since no lights were coming, I removed the battery and gave it for charging. After refitting the battery, the lights were working and then I kick started the vehicle. Took it for a short drive all the time in 1st gear. When I tried the starter, all I got is a Krrrrrrr sound when I press the start switch. I gave the vehicle for a full service at Art of Motorcycles, near my office (Adugodi, Bangalore) . The mechanic had told me that it could be because of the relay. The relay is 600rs. Since I am a little short of Vitamin M, I do not want to change it unless absolutely necessary.

Do you think its because of the relay or should I get a new battery and try? I mean if the relay is faulty, the Krrrr sound wouldn't have come right?

How was it solved in your case, si1ver0ne?
Old 8th February 2016, 15:32   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
A longer unused interval (9 months) had passed, when I tried the same on my brothers C500. Since no lights were coming, I removed the battery and gave it for charging. After refitting the battery, the lights were working and then I kick started the vehicle. Took it for a short drive all the time in 1st gear. When I tried the starter, all I got is a Krrrrrrr sound when I press the start switch. I gave the vehicle for a full service at Art of Motorcycles, near my office (Adugodi, Bangalore) . The mechanic had told me that it could be because of the relay. The relay is 600rs. Since I am a little short of Vitamin M, I do not want to change it unless absolutely necessary.

Do you think its because of the relay or should I get a new battery and try? I mean if the relay is faulty, the Krrrr sound wouldn't have come right?

How was it solved in your case, si1ver0ne?
Place a screwdriver across the studs of the starter relay and pass current directly to the starter motor. If the motor spins well, then just replace the relay. If the Krrrrr noise is still present, something else needs to be replaced.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 17:51   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
Place a screwdriver across the studs of the starter relay and pass current directly to the starter motor. If the motor spins well, then just replace the relay. If the Krrrrr noise is still present, something else needs to be replaced.
Had to cajole the mechanic into connecting a new battery in parallel to the old one. The starter cranked just fine. So now kind of clear that the battery has to be changed. Will drive around for a couple of days to see if I can get the battery back to life.

Thanks Ilangop for the tip!
Old 8th February 2016, 19:34   #3850
BHPian

Finally my own Classic 500 !!!!!

Big thanks to:

ArizonaJim (for sending extremely detailed pm's),
navin_v8 (for talking to me tirelessly on phone clearing my silly doubts)
randhawa (for personally assuring me about the fuel injection queries)
mobike008 (for personally giving me tips about his experiences with the classic)
nasirkaka, J.Ravi sir, tharian all these guys seriously helped me decide in making my decision firm about the CLASSIC 500 !
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-my-bullet.jpg  

The Great is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 20:14   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post

After the returning I checked the oil level yesterday and it's absolutely empty!
What was the route cause for this? Please update us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.rattan View Post
And what should be the maximum approximate expense if i get the work done from ASC and i have to buy a complete cylinder and piston kit, just asking to have an idea about the budget, thanks.
How is the bike now?

Quote:
The mechanic had told me that it could be because of the relay. The relay is 600rs.
What is the technical name of relay? I haven’t found anything named ‘relay’ in wiring diagram.
Old 8th February 2016, 20:23   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
What is the technical name of relay? I haven’t found anything named ‘relay’ in wiring diagram.
Starter relay maybe? In the wiring diagram, is there anything between the starting switch and the starter? That's where the relay should be. It should be taking one input from the battery, two wires from the starter switch and one to the starter positive. This I think is how a relay is usually connected.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 22:30   #3853
BHPian

One quick question.

One of my friends was suggested to block the catalytic converter air intake pipe using a metal ball as he's using a free flow exhaust. The link below says it gets rid of the backfires. I don't understand how it would help. Can someone explain it to me?

You'll find the suggestion right at the end of the article, below a photo of the airpipe I was mentioning.
Old 12th February 2016, 00:05   #3854
BHPian

It appears to be the feed from the Pulse Air Valve (PAV). It's job is to allow air into the exhaust stream helping burn off any unburnt fuel.

In case of a restricted airflow (as with factory fitted air filter /default jetting /restricted exhaust) it helps reduce emissions.

In case of a free flow exhaust /derestricted air filter, it may induce side effects such as excessive popping /misfiring.

Rejetting the carb /blocking off the PAV feed may help reduce this.

Last edited by bikertillidie : 12th February 2016 at 00:21.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 00:25   #3855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Starter relay maybe? In the wiring diagram, is there anything between the starting switch and the starter? That's where the relay should be. It should be taking one input from the battery, two wires from the starter switch and one to the starter positive. This I think is how a relay is usually connected.
You are correct.
The electrical switch that is between the battery to the starter motor is called a starter relay or starter solenoid.

It's purpose is to allow the small wires from the starter button to control the large amount of amperage needed by the starter motor.

The two small wires connected to the solenoid provide the power to energize the electromagnet housed within it.
One small wire from the starter button supplies the electrical power to the solenoid. The other small wire provides the grounding path for the supplied power to go to ground (earth) to complete the circuit.

This small grounding wire has two possible grounding connections.

One possible ground is thru the "neutral" switch on the transmission.
If the transmission is in neutral this switch will be closed to complete the electrical circuit and energize the solenoid.

The second possible ground is thru a switch on the handlebars clutch lever.
If the lever is pulled in, this switch will close to complete the electrical circuit.

If the transmission is not in neutral or the handlebar clutch lever is not pulled in their switches will remain open and the starter buttons power will not be able to get to ground so the starter solenoid will not be activated.

While talking about the starter relay/solenoid, I should mention that the low wattage circuit consisting of the starter button, the solenoid electromagnet and the grounding switches does need a certain amount of electrical power from the battery to operate.

If the battery is low on power (discharged) there may not be enough power available to activate the starter solenoid.

If there is some battery power available, it may be enough to energize the starter solenoid but as soon as the solenoid is energized and it starts to provide power to the starter motor the large amount of power the starter motor uses will cause the battery voltage to drop to nearly zero.

When this happens, there will not be enough electrical power to keep the solenoids electromagnet powered so it will open its starter motor circuit.

When the starter motor circuit is opened, battery power will increase, often to the point that the starter solenoids electromagnet will have enough power to energize. It will then connect the battery again to the starter motor which again drops the battery power causing the solenoid to once again shut off power to the starter motor.

This often causes a "click, click, click, click" sound and the engine will not start.

The only solution when this happens is to recharge the battery, replace the battery or try to kick start the motorcycle.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks