Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2016, 10:51   #3961
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I simply could not kick start the bike, hence need to get it replaced online.
You may swap a battery of activa or some small vehicle at home and run the vehicle with kick start. Ensure you don't press the start button accidentally. This way you can reach a battery shop. Else remove the battery and take it a shop where you can replace it with a new one and mount it at home. Typically the battery sellers don't hesitate to come with you can get the battery fitted in the bike if you promise to drop him back at his shop.
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:02   #3962
BHPian

Friends,
I recently took delivery of my Desert Storm. On the first day while riding home from the showroom, the engine started getting stalled intermittently, something similar to fuel tank reaching its last drops of fuel. This continued even after filling fuel and finally the bike stopped. I called the service and it was towed to the service center. The next day, my bike was delivered saying that there was some loose connection in the fuse box. Since then the bike is running fine, but I feel a slight missed throttle response at the beginning of the acceleration in each gear. It is just a fraction of a second, and it is felt intermittently. The service engineer says it is normal in an EFI model. Is this normal?
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:28   #3963

Nope...may be sometimes but not every time
ajayps77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:06   #3964
Senior - BHPian

This will happen on a cold efi 500 if you throttle quickly like a jap bike. This bull likes to be treated gently.

Does it still happen after the bike has warmed up considerably?
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 15:19   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rama75 View Post
Friends,
I recently took delivery of my Desert Storm. On the first day while riding home from the showroom, the engine started getting stalled intermittently, something similar to fuel tank reaching its last drops of fuel. This continued even after filling fuel and finally the bike stopped. I called the service and it was towed to the service center. The next day, my bike was delivered saying that there was some loose connection in the fuse box. Since then the bike is running fine, but I feel a slight missed throttle response at the beginning of the acceleration in each gear. It is just a fraction of a second, and it is felt intermittently. The service engineer says it is normal in an EFI model. Is this normal?
Please maintain at least a minimum of 3 - 4 litres of petrol in the tank.
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 21:22   #3966

Friends
I have been riding the Enfields for about 9 years now. I presently ride a classic 350(about 16k kms done). Its in stock condition so I wanna make some changes to it now, just wanted to ask what is the max tyre size I can have in the front without changing the fender or any other mod. Also the tyre size I can have at the rear without any significant mod.Classic 350 rear size is 110/90 x 80 but classic 500 is 120/80 x 80 so I guess that can be done but I'm not sure.
Also i'd be really greatful if anyone can recommend good tyres.
This must have been discussed in this forum many a times, so sorry for any repetitions( just a rookie here)
Old 27th January 2017, 12:35   #3967
BHPian

Guys!

My bull (DS 500) has now completed its first 1000 kms. It took me 4.5 months to reach until here, mostly since I was away from home and father was driving. There is a peculiar problem with the spark plugs with my bike though.

A month before the bike got overflowed and right side spark plug was removed to restart the bike, the mechanic besides the house cleaned and refitted the plug (750 kms). I got the bike serviced 3 days before (910 km) and both the spark plugs were pitch black. The bike was not starting even after 10 kicks. The mechanic at SC said its due to excessive petrol supply, the plugs were cleaned, the tuning adjusted and now the bike starts in 2-3 kicks in the morning.

I am not understanding the consistent excessive blackening of the spark plugs. Please advice!

-Saurabh
Old 27th January 2017, 21:06   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
Guys!

I am not understanding the consistent excessive blackening of the spark plugs. Please advice!

-Saurabh
I've had this problem for a while now,however,I didn't experience this problem for the first 9,000-10,000 Kms.
It occurs because the 500 efi bikes have a richer air/fuel ratio for some technical reason I can't quiet remember.This causes the fouled spark plugs.
However,this is not the only cause,some times a clogged fuel injector or a clogged air filter may cause this.
I was able to reduce this problem by a great extent by changing the air filter,adding a fuel injector cleaning additive to the fuel and replacing the factory spark plugs by ones with a higher heat rating.
For more info on this refer to my and Arizonajim's posts in the royal enfield queries thread,here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4014833
Cheers
Abhishek3001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 22:48   #3969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
I've had this problem for a while now,however,I didn't experience this problem for the first 9,000-10,000 Kms.

For more info on this refer to my and Arizonajim's posts in the royal enfield queries thread,here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4014833
Cheers
Hi Abhishek,

Thanks! I had read that post by Arizonajim before. Will check the fuel filter tomorrow. Besides this, I see you are also from Nagpur! I am getting my bike serviced from RE Ved Motors. Maybe you could suggest me a better mechanic shop in nagpur for RE 500 cc vehicles!

-Cheers
Saurabh
Old 28th January 2017, 08:02   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you could suggest me a better mechanic shop in nagpur for RE 500 cc vehicles!
Saurabh
Hi there,
I hadn't noticed that you were from Nagpur too.You'll have to check the air filter not the fuel filter,the fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump and isn't serviceable.
I've not heard any complains about Ved motors so far(my friend,who rides a TB 350,is satisfied with their service),but they weren't of much help to me when it came to the spark plug fouling issue.Infact,even my local mechanic wasn't much help with this issue.They(both local mechanic and Ved) say that they can "tune" the vehicle and make the mixture leaner but they cannot do that(thats just not how the EFI system works),what they end up doing is adjusting the idle settings.
One of my father's friends who has been riding royal enfields for decades speaks highly of a mechanic called Kalam Bhai who has his shop on CA Road,but I am yet to try him.
I would suggest you to stay away from paragon traders,I bought my bike from them,their workshop and service is pathetic.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2017, 00:23   #3971

I own a DS500. A few days back it was misfiring too much and was leaving acceleration at high revs. So after trying everything like from changing spark plugs, injector, etc. the same issue was faced. even cleaned the throttle body out and changed it completely. after that it was working fine but the throttle response isnt great. it still leaves the acceleration and no smoothness overall.
Went to the service center the guys blamed the fuel pump but i don't think thats the problem as its working fine. Is there anything related to the ecu mapping ? Can it go wrong somewhere after an odd of 55000 kms driven. Can the mapping be done again.
How about a EFI to CARB conversion ?
Please suggest.

Thanks !
Old 29th January 2017, 00:57   #3972
Distinguished - BHPian

saurabh89

As Abhishek3001 says, it is the air filter that is the most likely suspect.
This is located inside the right side cover inside a plastic plenum with a removable lid.
The filter is a pleated paper cartridge held in place by a circular metal cover.
You will need a Phillips cross head screwdriver to remove the plenum cover. Such a screw driver is in the RE's tool kit.

Being a paper cartridge, it cannot be washed but often it can be cleaned up a bit by blowing high pressure air thru it to blow the dirt out.
The airflow thru this cartridge is from the inside to the outside so when blowing air thru it, blow from the outside to the inside.
If you don't have access to high pressure air which can be found at most service stations, giving the filter a number of good raps with something can loosen and knock loose some of the accumulated dirt.

If the paper looks oily or wet, there's not much that can be done to save it other than just replacing it with a new filter. Replacing it is always the best solution.

One of the things that can cause fouled spark plugs is your riding style.
If you only ride for very short distances at a time, the standard spark plugs cannot heat up enough to burn off the carbon that accumulates during the engine warm up. (The rich air/fuel mixture is required when the engine is cold).

If your style of riding is like this, and if cleaning the air filter doesn't fix it, the answer to the fouling problem is to replace the spark plug(s) with new plugs which have a "hotter" heat range.

A "hot" spark plug will heat up much faster than a cool spark so, even though the motorcycle is ridden for short distances, the heat can be enough to burn off the carbon fouling.

Different spark plug manufacturers use different methods of showing the heat range of their plugs.
For instance, the higher the number on a Bosch spark plug equals a hotter spark plug.
A 3 or 4 is a cold Bosch plug. A 6 hotter than a 4, a 7 is hotter than a 6 and an 8 is hotter than a 7.

NGK on the other hand is just the opposite.
A NGK 9 is a cold plug. A 5 is hotter than a 6, a 6 is hotter than a 7, a 7 is hotter than a 8.

For most riding, many of us here in the US have found that a NGK BPR6ES is an excellent choice but for an engine that is showing carbon fouling from short trip riding, a BPR5ES could be the solution.

By the way, for you Iron Barrel riders, your engine runs hotter than the UCE engines so if you are using a NGK brand spark plug a cooler NGK BPR7ES would be the heat range that would work best for normal riding.

Here is a link to some interesting information showing several companies method of showing heat ranges. It also has a great deal of information about how and why these heat ranges work.

http://www.briskusa.com/spark_plug_c...at_range_chart

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 29th January 2017 at 01:09.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:30   #3973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrr View Post
Went to the service center the guys blamed the fuel pump but i don't think thats the problem as its working fine. Is there anything related to the ecu mapping ? Can it go wrong somewhere after an odd of 55000 kms driven. Can the mapping be done again.
How about a EFI to CARB conversion ?
Please suggest.

Thanks !
No,the fuel mapping is digitally stored data,it cannot go wrong or change over time.
You can check whether the fuel pump is bad by checking the fuel pressure built by the pump,if I am not wrong,the fuel pressure should be around 30-40 psi.

You can do a EFI to Carb conversion,a fellow bhpian has done it and covered it in detail,here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...onversion.html
You can also get this conversion kit( http://www.amazon.in/Greasehouse-Car...inhydr18418-21 ).

Cheers
Old 26th February 2017, 09:45   #3974
BHPian

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

First of all, a big thank you to @arizonajim for the information. The problem with my bike was short rides.

Yesterday I took a 450 kms long ride on my bike from nagpur to Jalna near Aurangabad. We stopped after every 60-70 kms (1-1.5 hours). The bike unexpectedly gave 〰39 kmpl avg (full tank to full tank). I'm sweetly surprised by that number. City avg was 27-29 till date for my DS. Even if I consider 3-4 kms variation, I am still happy! (Touchwood)
The current odo reads 1650 kms.

I started the bike today morning and noticed a rather unfamiliar sound from the upper part of the engine case though. It's a knock knock sound along with the piston compression (normal) sound.

I hadn't noticed the sound prior to the long drive. I hope it's nothing major. I had read earlier, ever seen YouTube videos of some part going kaput due to which such sound comes. Can someone explain me this?

- Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh89 : 26th February 2017 at 09:47.
Old 27th February 2017, 22:59   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
It's a knock knock sound along with the piston compression (normal) sound.
Does the knocking sound stop after the engine is warmed up and run for some time?
If so,then it is completely normal.It is the sound of the decompressor,it lifts the exhaust valve slightly when the RPMs drop below a certain thresh hold to prevent the engine from stalling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks