Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 22:58   #3991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

I strongly doubt that the noise, low oil level in the sight window or a loss of power is due to the oil pump gear.

If that gear fails, the oil pressure will drop to zero and the hydraulic valve lifters will make such a racket that your first instinctive action will be to shut the engine off.

It sounds like some rock band drummer went totally crazy, beating his drums as loud as he can.

As for checking the oil level in the sight window, the proper way on these UCE engines is to place the motorcycle on the center stand while it is parked on a level surface.

Start the engine and let it run at an idle speed for a minute or so. Then shut it off.

Give it a few minutes for the oil that is up in the rocker arm area to drain back towards the oil sump.

Then, check the oil level in the sight window.
IMO, if the level is anywhere between the bottom of the glass and the top of the glass, everything's fine.

If the level is below the sight window, you can add a little oil by removing the oil fill plug that is located at the right end (riders position looking forward) of the starter motor.
Use the same kind of oil that the service department filled the motorcycle with.

Go slow and easy with adding oil adding just a little at a time and waiting for it to settle in the right hand engine side-cover.

Overfilling the oil reserve is just about as bad as not having enough oil in the engine.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 08:51   #3992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I strongly doubt that the noise, low oil level in the sight window or a loss of power is due to the oil pump gear.

If that gear fails, the oil pressure will drop to zero and the hydraulic valve lifters will make such a racket that your first instinctive action will be to shut the engine off.

It sounds like some rock band drummer went totally crazy, beating his drums as loud as he can.
The noise isn't that loud, but it made me switch off my bike for sure. I am guessing it's the piston then. It's a loud tik-tik noise, which I now think is the piston slapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
As for checking the oil level in the sight window, the proper way on these UCE engines is to place the motorcycle on the center stand while it is parked on a level surface.

Start the engine and let it run at an idle speed for a minute or so. Then shut it off.
That's exactly what I do.

Last edited by cataclysm : 30th June 2017 at 09:09.
Old 14th July 2017, 12:06   #3993
BHPian

Small update on my Classic 500.

I had a bad crash a few months ago (exactly on 04 May) and the bike had been sitting in one place since then. No covers no overhead roof. Plain open parking in our building and despite being in the rains and also there was no one to even start the engine just for heating up in these days. The bike started in one self start, in my opinion that's really commendable.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 14:42   #3994
Senior - BHPian

C5 had it's issues but nothing compared to Himalayan issues. RE improved faster with the C5 then with Himalayan. At least things don't break on C5 like ripen fruits from a tree.
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:22   #3995

Just tried removing both mudguards and rear seat on my Cl500. Looks pretty cool , Limiting the usage in my residential area itself. Any suggestions how could i mount number plate on the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-snapchat1052755475.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-snapchat1955666213.jpg  

Old 24th July 2017, 12:09   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey2300 View Post
Any suggestions how could i mount number plate on the rear.
Google: a Harley Side Mount (rear) number plate bracket. This is your solution, and any good fabricator will get you sorted out in a few hours.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:45   #3997
BHPian

This is my latest mod on my Classic 500. The Himalayan windshield on the Classic. At first I was a bit skeptical but it does look good esp at night with the white led pilot lights on.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_2938.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3251.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3253.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3254.jpg  

The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:47   #3998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
This is my latest mod on my Classic 500
Looks good!

I am also looking for a small windshield for my CL500.

How much did it cost you?

And, was this a direct fit? Or did it require any modifications?

Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:10   #3999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Looks good!

I am also looking for a small windshield for my CL500.

How much did it cost you?

And, was this a direct fit? Or did it require any modifications?

Thanks!
It's the original Himalayan Windshield which I got from the service center itself for about Rs. 580/-

Some minor jugaad is required to be done with the clamps which can be easily made at the lathe workshop. No modifications to the main body or frame though.
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:59   #4000
BHPian

Hello folks, I need some inputs regarding battery of RE classic 500. It's been close to two years that I own this bike and it has been a trouble free journey however last week the battery died and now the bike would not start. Is this related that bike won't start if the battery is discharged? Also does charging the battery helps? Or should I be looking to buy a new one? What is the average life of a battery on a RE?
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:36   #4001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lHarpreetl View Post
Hello folks, I need some inputs regarding battery of RE classic 500. It's been close to two years that I own this bike and it has been a trouble free journey however last week the battery died and now the bike would not start. Is this related that bike won't start if the battery is discharged? Also does charging the battery helps? Or should I be looking to buy a new one? What is the average life of a battery on a RE?
Harpreet mate battery service life is not the same for all. It depends on your riding habits, preventive maintenance of the battery, etc. On an average we can take it for about 2-3 years. One easy technique to check if the battery is discharged is to blow your horn button to see if the horn is working or not. If there is a very feeble sound or no sound at all it means your battery is discharged. Take it to a battery shop and ask them to check the voltage if its low then ask them to service it wherein they will top up the fluids and charge the battery. If the battery holds charge then it is good for use, if not then time to buy a new battery.
Old 7th August 2017, 15:49   #4002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
It depends on your riding habits, preventive maintenance of the battery, etc. .
True.

The battery would last under a year if not used regularly. If used regularly, serviced and taken care of then 3 years would be a good life to expect.
Old 21st August 2017, 19:09   #4003
BHPian

Hello All,
I do own a Classic 500 and wish to change the seats as its hard now and not at all comfortable for longer ride. Cant ride for 25kms (distance of my office) as well.

Please share your suggestions on mods and/or alternative.

Thanks,
VJ
Old 7th September 2017, 17:27   #4004
BHPian

I recently came across(news) the new color variants for the Classic 350 and Classic 500 - Gunmetal Grey Classic 350 & Stealth Black Classic 500.

Interestingly the new Classic's have Thunderbird 500 like swing arms!!! Has anybody reported/observed this on the forum already?

The high speed weaving issue that affects the older Classic's should finally be resolved with this much needed update. Cheers!

Last edited by iron.head : 7th September 2017 at 17:41.
Old 7th September 2017, 20:22   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Has anybody reported/observed this on the forum already?
Yes, this has been posted already by GTO in the below thread. In addition to the swingarm, it also gets the rear disc brake. Not sure if this change is restricted to the 2 new bikes or is across the model range?

link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4262704

Most Viewed